Michael Barrymore - death in the pool

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree, people forget how homophobic society and the mainstream media were even in the early 00s.

The reality is, the sheer horror of what occurred that night has only been brought to light in recent years. His career really ended because the media portrayed a drug-fuelled gay orgy that ended up with a death. And without a death - that was enough to kill his career.
Oh yes, completely agree. The death was an ‘accident’ and not portrayed as the murder it actually was. One day, someone who was there is going to leak the truth, because we have all seen the pictures of the house, rather than the huge mansion the media had us believe it was a large bungalow with the pool surrounded by most of the rooms, it was really late and one of them would have seen/heard something. They all definitely knew who was outside with Stuart.

Reactions: 12
I've only heard of Barrymore because my dad likes watching repeats of the older game shows but I've never warmed to him like I have with other presenters.

I was very young when they found Staurt dead so I've only heard it in passing.

I read this entire thread last night and have been reading about Stuart's death. I can't stop thinking about what was inflicted upon the poor man. 😔 Him and his family really do deserve justice.

Reactions: 11
This thread has just made me go back down this rabbit hole of horror thanks for the extra links all.

There's some gossip in the gay community online which focuses on Justin Merritt more than Jonathan Kenney. SL is also mentioned once as being on the scene. I thoroughly agree that sexism and homophobia and clear bad policing have affected the outcome of this case. Whether SL was gay/bi etc should have no bearing on this, alas if it was a woman who had been found with such wounds and dead it would of been a very different story I am sure.

How did MB's manager measure the water temp in swimming pool for the cops if thermometer was missing?

Did MB really meet JM that night for the first time? Apparently he just turned up and offered to be MB's security for the night?

There's a tale that JK was actually left behind in the nightclub initially, that he was pissed off/jealous that Lubbock had been picked up/invited back but he'd been left behind.

The story in Cheryls book that MB used to put the white stuff in gravy at dinner parties and battered her til she bled. Maybe the more experienced guys MB, JK and JM decided to give SL an education, MB is said to of been seen rubbing coke in SL's gums, if he had rubbed it anywhere else it would make that area numb too?

I do believe that the women may not of been aware of what exactly the men in the bedrooms were up to, or don't want to admit they were having an orgy/swinging/stickingloadsofpowderuptheirownnoses situation. I don't believe that they didn't help/weren't aware of the clean up before the police called.

And finally, Michael Barrymore had an injury/op on his dick??? The day after Lubbock death?? He broke his dick???? Under the guise of going to rehab, there's a quote from a nurse.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
as the 90s gave way to the 21st century

I did predict Barrymore Cilla Black and other hosts of their ilk would not be on telly come the end of that first decade

and that only Bruce Forsyth would keep his place

was so glad to see the back of Barrymore

and that every comeback attempt has been a non-starter

if the Lubbock thing hadn't happened would the end of his telly career have happened that fast

there would have been no place for him on telly either way

viewers have long since moved on from MB

There is a new podcast on this which is endorsed by Stuart's family and those still campaigning for justice for him.
It is available on Spotify and Apple and is called His Name Was Stuart Lubbock.

I haven't listened to it yet but am just starting now.

Reactions: 14
I was just wondering how old Barrymore is now. It turns out he will turn seventy in exactly one month.

Reactions: 4
There is a new podcast on this which is endorsed by Stuart's family and those still campaigning for justice for him.
It is available on Spotify and Apple and is called His Name Was Stuart Lubbock.

I haven't listened to it yet but am just starting now.
Going to give this a listen!

Reactions: 3
Am angry that nobody has been held to account or has had the balls to tell the truth about what happened that night. Utterly sickening.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
It’s a circle of silence, much like Claudia Lawrence’s killers one seems to be. Nobody wants to rat anyone out. I don’t get what the random partygoers at Barrymore’s have got to lose though.

Reactions: 10
It’s a circle of silence, much like Claudia Lawrence’s killers one seems to be. Nobody wants to rat anyone out. I don’t get what the random partygoers at Barrymore’s have got to lose though.
I have often thought that at the time MB would have been rich, and considered influential and powerful. They were just ordinary people and would be fearful that MB would turn it on them and they did not have the money for a proper legal defence. Now of course MB is not rich, or influential or powerful, they probably feel ashamed that they did not speak out at the time, and of course it would be in the public eye again.

Reactions: 9
Am angry that nobody has been held to account or has had the balls to tell the truth about what happened that night. Utterly sickening.
Couldn't agree more! (y)

Have to admit, I really liked Barrymore ... until this happened. Then when he bullied Jodie Marsh so terribly (and believe me, I'm no fan of Jodie Marsh, but that was totally out of order) on Celebrity BB, I saw exactly the sort of person he actually was. But to not own up to what happened to Stuart Lubbock is beyond despicable.

Did he ever even contact Stuart's family at any point, at the very least to offer his condolences? Had that happened on my property I'd break my neck to get talking to the family to let them know I'd be doing my utmost to help solve the mystery of what happened to that poor soul.

Reactions: 15
I think they’re all complicit so are remaining silent. One or two men killed him but the others either saw, were there while he was dying and failed to help or helped in the cover up.
I still think a dulled interrogator could get to the bottom of it. Maybe a retired DCI.

I think they’re all complicit so are remaining silent. One or two men killed him but the others either saw, were there while he was dying and failed to help or helped in the cover up.
I still think a dulled interrogator could get to the bottom of it. Maybe a retired DCI.
Skilled! not dulled- need to check my typing....

Reactions: 5
I grew up watching MB, although like someone said it was more of which was the least rubbish to watch on a Saturday night. I remember my dad absolutely hated him, really despised him and would say that he really wasn’t funny. Then when the pool incident happened I was around 16, and even I remember thinking it was a gay party where something went wrong, of course my dad again said that it would involve MB whatever happened. Now I’ve read all this and did watch the documentary it’s really quite shocking that what happened was firstly allowed and secondly that these people clearly do know exactly what happened and by who.
I do think though that he would struggle to have any career now thankfully, not only would the old clips come out pointing out very obviously his wrong behaviour but more people will know him for this than anything else.

Reactions: 8
I grew up watching MB, although like someone said it was more of which was the least rubbish to watch on a Saturday night. I remember my dad absolutely hated him, really despised him and would say that he really wasn’t funny. Then when the pool incident happened I was around 16, and even I remember thinking it was a gay party where something went wrong, of course my dad again said that it would involve MB whatever happened. Now I’ve read all this and did watch the documentary it’s really quite shocking that what happened was firstly allowed and secondly that these people clearly do know exactly what happened and by who.
I do think though that he would struggle to have any career now thankfully, not only would the old clips come out pointing out very obviously his wrong behaviour but more people will know him for this than anything else.
TBH even if this had not happened, he would not be on our TV’s now anyway.
His whole USP was very much that of the time, and he would have been washed up long ago. As his downfall was at the height of his career, he has been caught in a time bubble of not seeing that natural demise.
I was really hoping justice would happen for Terry before he died recently. How the people involved can sleep at night, I have no idea? But it just shows how callous they all are, including MB.
The frustrating thing is, the Police seem to know who done it and what happened, but don’t quite have enough evidence for the CPS to prosecute. So until more evidence comes to light which helps tip the balance, this will never happen.

Reactions: 12
I grew up watching MB, although like someone said it was more of which was the least rubbish to watch on a Saturday night.
I recall Brian Conley's show was also shown on Saturday evenings in the early 90s. We really were spoilt, weren't we?:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 3