Michael Barrymore - death in the pool

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
watch him on dine with me on youtube,he starts playing up at anthea turner( bruces forsth ,s ex wife),dropping plates of food and throwing food at her.
Anthea Turner wasn’t Bruce Forsyth’s ex wife. Her name was Anthea Redfern. Anyway, he's a nasty prick.

Reactions: 4
MB’s ex wife and his then manager, had a lucky escape by getting divorced from him. Sadly she passed away some time back, but I think she wrote a “ warts n all “ book on life with him. Didn’t paint him in a good light.

Reactions: 8
the things MB used to do to female contestants old or otherwise

looking back

that is actual RAPE

no two ways about it

all the other things he used to do like empty handnags

did ITV and those yes folk around him not know they were nurturing the career of a likely CRIMINAL even before the scandal

the things MB used to do to female contestants old or otherwise

looking back

that is actual RAPE

no two ways about it

all the other things he used to do like empty handnags

did ITV and those yes folk around him not know they were nurturing the career of a likely CRIMINAL even before the scandal
This is why all his deluded fans from back in the day, want to see him back on the television. I grew up in the era when that sort of behaviour was acceptable ( yes, hard to believe now ) but it was, and was seen as entertainment. MB hasn’t moved with the times, and thinks his act would still work. He is a washed up dinosaur in today’s industry, and with a past like his, I for one don’t ever want to see him on TV ever again.
The best thing he can do right now, rather than salvage his non existent career, is do the decent thing and tell the truth about that night.
But the guy is a 💩, so that will never happen.

Reactions: 9
This is why all his deluded fans from back in the day, want to see him back on the television. I grew up in the era when that sort of behaviour was acceptable ( yes, hard to believe now ) but it was, and was seen as entertainment. MB hasn’t moved with the times, and thinks his act would still work. He is a washed up dinosaur in today’s industry, and with a past like his, I for one don’t ever want to see him on TV ever again.
The best thing he can do right now, rather than salvage his non existent career, is do the decent thing and tell the truth about that night.
But the guy is a 💩, so that will never happen.

and fortunately he hasn't been a TV regular in nearly 20 years

so they,ve kept the door THANKFULLY

firmly bolted and shut to him

bar a few poorly received reappearances on TV

Reactions: 4
MB’s ex wife and his then manager, had a lucky escape by getting divorced from him. Sadly she passed away some time back, but I think she wrote a “ warts n all “ book on life with him. Didn’t paint him in a good light.
I wonder what was attractive about him to her. 😒

Reactions: 3
You know I've been thinking about (as mentioned) the family and children's entertainers that I grew up with.
I'm 43 so I remember Jim I'll fix it and Rolf Harris and yes Michael Barrymore who was seen very much as a family entertainer (,and marketed as such) and I'm embarrassed to say that at the time I was a fan of all 3 of them! :sick:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I read so many posts saying oh I never liked him or I could tell he was a wrong un! (But no I never cottoned on at all)!
I have a theory as to why this is basically coming from a not very loving family and being lonely and a bookworm and yes I'm going to say it more than a little brainwashed!
That's because I had a very domineering mother and I was never listened to and my voice and my instincts somehow got (squashed) lost?
Also my father was a rather weak but theatrical man prone to living in a fantasy world so I grew up with a twisted idea of what was normal (abuse of power) and also the acceptance of all that was strange uncomfortable and weird!
That thing that the English have of a great tolerance and almost veneration of eccentrics (which is a good thing) but which can also be used as a cover for frankly some very disturbing people.
The thing is about all of the above people is yes they are exaggerating their persona and playing up to the camera or drawing people in but they are also hiding in plain sight?
That's what is really disturbing now looking back.
So I ask myself seriously how much of a cesspit is the media and what goes on behind the scenes?
Now I ask myself was it almost deliberate the choice of people they gave exposure and success to? Hardly the creme de la crème but actually the worst bunch of people they could possibly find?
Also giving them a position around vulnerable people such as children and old ladies and I ask myself what kind of media culture and atmosphere was build up and deemed acceptable?
If I was to be really dark i'd even go as far as to say it's almost like mass grooming finding a way to get people to watch and even admire or emulate toxic and evil and abusive people?
Then we wonder why they get away with it when the truth is that was allowed to flourish and develop in front of our very eyes and when some of us (myself included) were at a very impressionable age?
It's sick isn't it?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I grew up in the era when that sort of behaviour was acceptable
I don't think it was acceptable so much as that it was far less unacceptable than now, with things like wokeness, Me Too, cases of celebrities revealed as sexual offenders and the increased focus on the importance of personal boundaries associated with these things. Barrymore's popularity was based on the fact that he seemed to push at the borders of what was acceptable. He was seen as loveably cheeky and daring by many. Nowadays, his typical antics would just be seen as blatantly unpleasant by too many people to be palatable on television.

Reactions: 6
I don't think it was acceptable so much as that it was far less unacceptable than now, with things like wokeness, Me Too, cases of celebrities revealed as sexual offenders and the increased focus on the importance of personal boundaries associated with these things. Barrymore's popularity was based on the fact that he seemed to push at the borders of what was acceptable. He was seen as loveably cheeky and daring by many. Nowadays, his typical antics would just be seen as blatantly unpleasant by too many people to be palatable on television.
That’s also the direction that David Williams has veered to.

Reactions: 9
It was a very different era back then, so we grew up not knowing that this type of behaviour was wrong. MB had a top rating show in Strike it Lucky, I for one would watch it every week. Yes, his behaviour on it was OTT and outrageous and made it uncomfortable, but also very funny, to watch. If you’re watching with your parents and grand parents and they find it hilarious, and the ratings do too, who am I to think otherwise. Same with Freddy Starr, he was another one that would completely and utterly cross the boundaries, but was seen as hilarious then. Bernard Manning, Jim Davison, jImmy Saville, the list is endless to what was seen as funny then, but disgusting behaviour now. I am not saying it was right, I am saying that’s how he got away with his act for so long.
So what I am saying is, for someone who didn’t grow up in this era, looking as his act now seems shocking, but it was acceptable entertainment at the time.

Last edited:
It was a very different era back then, so we grew up not knowing that this type of behaviour was wrong. MB had a top rating show in Strike it Lucky, I for one would watch it every week. Yes, his behaviour on it was OTT and outrageous and made it uncomfortable, but also very funny, to watch. If you’re watching with your parents and grand parents and they find it hilarious, and the ratings do too, who am I to think otherwise. Same with Freddy Starr, he was another one that would completely and utterly cross the boundaries, but was seen as hilarious then. Bernard Manning, Jim Davison, jImmy Saville, the list is endless to what was seen as funny then, but disgusting behaviour now. I am not saying it was right, I am saying that’s how he got away with his act for so long.
So what I am saying is, for someone who didn’t grow up in this era, looking as his act now seems shocking, but it was acceptable entertainment at the time.
Can’t say I watched and thought his stuff was funny. Nor Freddy Starr or Jimmy Saville. Just wasn’t anything I was interested in. Jimmy Saville was one of the most peculiar people I’d ever seen in television and in the company if children. How he ever got to the heady heights he did is beyond me. Must be the charity connections. I did not have a childhood here so did not grow up with it.

Walliams! I read somewhere that Williams is his real last name but he changed it to be different. 😒

Last edited:
Walliams! I read somewhere that Williams is his real last name but he changed it to be different. 😒
Or it could be because there was already somebody called David Williams who is a member of Equity. For some reason actors and entertainers who are part of the Equity Union cannot share the same name as another member

Reactions: 5
Or it could be because there was already somebody called David Williams who is a member of Equity. For some reason actors and entertainers who are part of the Equity Union cannot share the same name as another member
I thought they could do a double barrelled name if that was the case.

Walliams is on the wallyish/wallyesque side.

Can’t stand him either he’s another who likes teenage girls yet it’s hidden by like minded people. Why do these men always get exposed when it’s too late.

Reactions: 7
Can’t stand him either he’s another who likes teenage girls yet it’s hidden by like minded people. Why do these men always get exposed when it’s too late.
I suspect he'd be more keen on teenage boys to be honest.
He gives me the absolute creeps.

Reactions: 10
I remember watching My Kind of People as a kid and feeling very uncomfortable and upset at the way he'd bullied some of the lesser talented people.

Can’t say I watched and thought his stuff was funny. Nor Freddy Starr or Jimmy Saville. Just wasn’t anything I was interested in. Jimmy Saville was one of the most peculiar people I’d ever seen in television and in the company if children. How he ever got to the heady heights he did is beyond me. Must be the charity connections. I did not have a childhood here so did not grow up with it.

Like Cliff Richard adopting the surname 'Richard' rather than the more common 'Richards.' Cliff is someone who gives me the creeps a bit. There seems something a bit insincere about him, though I pity him if his house was raided over allegations that were truly false.

Reactions: 5
That’s the story I read too. If he changed his name to be different he would probs pick something totally different.

He very much reminds me of Barrymore and he gives me the creeps too

Like Cliff Richard adopting the surname 'Richard' rather than the more common 'Richards.' Cliff is someone who gives me the creeps a bit. There seems something a bit insincere about him, though I pity him if his house was raided over allegations that were truly false.
But Cliff’s real name is Harry Webb