Michael Barrymore - death in the pool

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can’t say I watched and thought his stuff was funny. Nor Freddy Starr or Jimmy Saville. Just wasn’t anything I was interested in. Jimmy Saville was one of the most peculiar people I’d ever seen in television and in the company if children. How he ever got to the heady heights he did is beyond me. Must be the charity connections. I did not have a childhood here so did not grow up with it.

Walliams! I read somewhere that Williams is his real last name but he changed it to be different. 😒
That’s because he is more of a Wally than a Williams 😏

That’s the story I read too. If he changed his name to be different he would probs pick something totally different.

He very much reminds me of Barrymore and he gives me the creeps too

But Cliff’s real name is Harry Webb
Did you also know that John Cleese’s family name was originally Cheese. But his grandfather changed it as was so embarrassed by it. But John said, he would have loved to have been a John Cheese instead! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Did you also know that John Cleese’s family name was originally Cheese. But his grandfather changed it as was so embarrassed by it. But John said, he would have loved to have been a John Cheese instead! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 2
He's on Instagram now posting throwbacks that in the gaze of a modern eye are so terribly unfunny. There's one clip where he takes two bags from a woman in the audience empties them onto the floor and opens and eats her snacks while mocking her. She is visibly upset and he just goes further and further rooting through her belongings while the audience howl with laughter.

Hes on Tiktok posting throwbacks on there too. When people comment saying they loved MB, he replies back saying "I'm not dead, Linda" or whatever the commenters name is. Snarky. He could just say thanks or glad you liked them

• Angry
Reactions: 8
Hes on Tiktok posting throwbacks on there too. When people comment saying they loved MB, he replies back saying "I'm not dead, Linda" or whatever the commenters name is. Snarky. He could just say thanks or glad you liked them
Wish he bloody was and poor Stuart was still here.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
But Cliff’s real name is Harry Webb
Yeah, I wasn't saying his real name was Richards. I'm saying he chose to adopt Richard instead of choosing the more common Richards because it was distinctive. That's what I read somewhere about why he chose that stage-name anyway.

Reactions: 5
Yeah, I wasn't saying his real name was Richards. I'm saying he chose to adopt Richard instead of choosing the more common Richards because it was distinctive. That's what I read somewhere about why he chose that stage-name anyway.
Apologies, I misread it as he’d taken the “s” off

Reactions: 1
MB’s ex wife and his then manager, had a lucky escape by getting divorced from him. Sadly she passed away some time back, but I think she wrote a “ warts n all “ book on life with him. Didn’t paint him in a good light.
I think it was widely known that Cheryl Barrymore, when she knew she was dying of cancer, made it very clear that she didn't want him at her funeral.

Reactions: 12
jeez...hope all those kids (now adults obv) have given permission for him to share those throwbacks.

Cannot understand why the truth about what happened has never been discovered. Always thought he was a creepy barsteward and not remotely funny in the slightest.

jeez...hope all those kids (now adults obv) have given permission for him to share those throwbacks.

Cannot understand why the truth about what happened has never been discovered. Always thought he was a creepy barsteward and not remotely funny in the slightest.
It’s because the pool thermometer went missing from the crime scene- presumably either MB or his assistant took it. It’s thought that may well have been what caused SL’s horrendous internal injuries.

MB is utter scum.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
He will spend the rest of his life living out his glory days on Tik Tok, and showcasing the endless tapings of his show.

I have to admit, giving how much he was/is liked I'm really surprised ITV haven't weathered the storm in order to pick him up for a revival.

• Angry
Reactions: 3
I always thought he was a nasty prick.

Does anyone else remember watching him in those 'stranger danger' type videos at Primary school in the 80's?
He kept saying "awwwight" in it for reasons I forget now.
twit.

Reactions: 9
He will spend the rest of his life living out his glory days on Tik Tok, and showcasing the endless tapings of his show.

I have to admit, giving how much he was/is liked I'm really surprised ITV haven't weathered the storm in order to pick him up for a revival.
They’ve tried, it’s failed thank god.

I always thought he was a nasty prick.

Does anyone else remember watching him in those 'stranger danger' type videos at Primary school in the 80's?
He kept saying "awwwight" in it for reasons I forget now.
twit.
I remember. The "awwwight" pish gives me the fear.

Reactions: 1
I find it laughable that Barrymore seriously believes he would still have a high profile career in showbusiness, were it not for what happened to Stuart Lubbock ... his brand of "humour" is totally at odds with what is deemed acceptable these days.

I always remember when he attempted to relaunch his career in Celebrity Big Brother and there was a task where they all performed what they were famous for.. his Hitler routine was a total tumbleweed moment and that was back in 2006... Imagine that and the bullying, humiliation of the audience which was his stock "entertainment" repertoire, through 2022 eyes!!

Reactions: 15
I find it laughable that Barrymore seriously believes he would still have a high profile career in showbusiness, were it not for what happened to Stuart Lubbock ... his brand of "humour" is totally at odds with what is deemed acceptable these days.

I always remember when he attempted to relaunch his career in Celebrity Big Brother and there was a task where they all performed what they were famous for.. his Hitler routine was a total tumbleweed moment and that was back in 2006... Imagine that and the bullying, humiliation of the audience which was his stock "entertainment" repertoire, through 2022 eyes!!
He mainly humiliated women, he absolutely hates them.

Reactions: 19
He mainly humiliated women, he absolutely hates them.
Absolutely agree. Yet so many older women loved him and enjoyed his routine - it always felt pretty twisted to me that they couldn't see that what he was doing wasn't borne of affection and fun, but of deep rooted misogyny.

His treatment of Jodie Marsh in the Big Brother house also demonstrated his vile attitude to women.

Then again, he's never shown much respect and liking for men either...

Reactions: 8
I always remember when he attempted to relaunch his career in Celebrity Big Brother and there was a task where they all performed what they were famous for..
I remember that. I thought he was going to head straight to the hot tub...

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I hope Cheryl got what she was owed in the divorce. That nonsense about how he loved her, wanted to be married and hated being gay. No he used her as at that time out gay men were at best discriminated against and at worst were physically harmed. He would not got his foot in the door at itv if he was out.
Also, I don’t think loads of people thought MB was funny, it was the 80’s and early 90’s he was popular. Only four channels and often we just picked the program that looked less rubbish-wouldn’t turn it off though haha! I often wonder if we had the choice/internet we have now would the same men be as rich and popular. They did not have much competition. I also assume that the channels just kept the same rotation on as it is easier than finding new talent.
How lame he is now going on about his sad past on Tiltok. Laughable, and not in a funny way just really embarrassing.

Reactions: 11
I hope Cheryl got what she was owed in the divorce. That nonsense about how he loved her, wanted to be married and hated being gay. No he used her as at that time out gay men were at best discriminated against and at worst were physically harmed. He would not got his foot in the door at itv if he was out.
Also, I don’t think loads of people thought MB was funny, it was the 80’s and early 90’s he was popular. Only four channels and often we just picked the program that looked less rubbish-wouldn’t turn it off though haha! I often wonder if we had the choice/internet we have now would the same men be as rich and popular. They did not have much competition. I also assume that the channels just kept the same rotation on as it is easier than finding new talent.
How lame he is now going on about his sad past on Tiltok. Laughable, and not in a funny way just really embarrassing.
I agree, people forget how homophobic society and the mainstream media were even in the early 00s.

The reality is, the sheer horror of what occurred that night has only been brought to light in recent years. His career really ended because the media portrayed a drug-fuelled gay orgy that ended up with a death. And without a death - that was enough to kill his career.

Reactions: 6