Meteorology moaning - aka the weather, let’s moan about the heat 🥵🔥☀️🔥

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just buy a portable AC unit, you can pick one up for about £300
not possible for many people.

I just purchased a tower fan and it is really good even on the lowest setting so I’m hoping it will be helpful next week. I am worried about it as I don’t cope in the heat, I’ve been feeling nauseous for the past two weeks and it’s not fun. Also worried about the local wildlife and will be putting out lots of water and extra food as the ground is too hard for birds to dig for worms etc.

Reactions: 7
Will the AC work in all these places if it gets to 40c+?

I used to work in a chicken shed type building and most of the time it was fine, but when it got above mid 30's with bright sunlight the AC couldn't cope at all and it became very uncomfortable. People started opening fire escape doors that which didn't help either.
That's probably badly installed AC. A few years ago I worked in a branch of Debenhams that supposedly had AC but it only really worked in the footwear and Dorothy Perkins concession 🤷‍♀️
It's been 42 degrees here today (southern Spain) and I've spent most of the day with the blinds or curtains closed and ceiling fans on. I have one AC unit but am scared to turn it on due to the terrible price of electricity now.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
It's funny how where you live influences your temperature tolerance. It's quite fascinating.

I live in the Caribbean (Trinidad, so very close to the Equator) and 30 degrees is a good, fairly mild day here. The norm is 34-35 in July - September and because of the humidity which is in the high 80s, it feels much hotter. But somehow, we manage okay even for those who don't have AC at home and we are able to regularly move about outdoors or run errands in the midday sun.

But the cold!!!! Anything under 22 degrees and we are freezing. I literally wear a scarf, large jacket and sometimes mittens if it's near 20 in the office as do lots of other women. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I dont find our portable AC unit is that expensive to run.

Bought it 4 years ago and its worth every single penny 😂🙈 I cant stand the heat so it makes me less miserable. B&Q were selling them all off one August so got a £300 unit for £170.

We dont use it loads but its absolutely worth it when you need it.

Reactions: 5
Love the Daily Mail boomer commentary, they think because it was hot one summer in 1976 climate change is a myth and we're all snowflakes
"We survived the summer of 1976" yeah OK good for you 😴
It's funny how where you live influences your temperature tolerance. It's quite fascinating.

I live in the Caribbean (Trinidad, so very close to the Equator) and 30 degrees is a good, fairly mild day here. The norm is 34-35 in July - September and because of the humidity which is in the high 80s, it feels much hotter. But somehow, we manage okay even for those who don't have AC at home and we are able to regularly move about outdoors or run errands in the midday sun.

But the cold!!!! Anything under 22 degrees and we are freezing. I literally wear a scarf, large jacket and sometimes mittens if it's near 20 in the office as do lots of other women. 🤷‍♀️
Whereas on a spring day in the UK, as soon as it hits 20° (and often lower!) we're in shorts and t-shirt, floaty dresses, sandals etc. BBQ is lit, suncream is out ....😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Any advice on things to do with kids in a heatwave? I have family visiting me Sun-Wed with 3 kids (5, 3 and 14months). I live in a tiny one bed flat in a town centre with no outdoor space. They are staying on a basic campsite down the road. I’m sure the parents will have suggestions but I’m not a parent myself and am a bit stressed trying to think of appropriate activities where we can hide out from the sun! The family have come over from abroad so it’s kind of a big deal for them to visit and I want them to have a nice time!
How about an air conditioned cinema? That’s what I’m considering.

Oh wow! After a 22 day here in the UK I can barely sleep as it’s too hot! That’s crazy! Our winters are like -4 up to around 11 ish I guess and that’s when I wear my coat and gloves and hat! I suppose you get used to being boiling and then any less feels chilly x

not possible for many people.

I just purchased a tower fan and it is really good even on the lowest setting so I’m hoping it will be helpful next week. I am worried about it as I don’t cope in the heat, I’ve been feeling nauseous for the past two weeks and it’s not fun. Also worried about the local wildlife and will be putting out lots of water and extra food as the ground is too hard for birds to dig for worms etc.
That’s what I’m doing too I’ve also got a cat sitter coming Monday as I’ll be at work and very worried about keeping the cats cool and hydrated :(

Oh wow! After a 22 day here in the UK I can barely sleep as it’s too hot! That’s crazy! Our winters are like -4 up to around 11 ish I guess and that’s when I wear my coat and gloves and hat! I suppose you get used to being boiling and then any less feels chilly x

That’s what I’m doing too I’ve also got a cat sitter coming Monday as I’ll be at work and very worried about keeping the cats cool and hydrated :(
yeah I’m worried for my cat too. He was so grumpy the other day, he is a chonky boy with medium length hair, and we live in a flat . He took to sleeping in the bath or on top of my chest of drawers but next to his cool mats 🙄. I’ll give him extra wet food to increase his fluid intake and he has some licks I have put in the freezer which he enjoys. Other than that, all I can do is close all the windows and keep the curtains closed and have the fans on max.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
yeah I’m worried for my cat too. He was so grumpy the other day, he is a chonky boy with medium length hair, and we live in a flat . He took to sleeping in the bath or on top of my chest of drawers but next to his cool mats 🙄. I’ll give him extra wet food to increase his fluid intake and he has some licks I have put in the freezer which he enjoys. Other than that, all I can do is close all the windows and keep the curtains closed and have the fans on max.
I put ice packs under my cats beds an the coldness seeps through I also wet a brush an brush them and also give them cat milk with a bit of water mixed in xx

Reactions: 1
Might be worth getting them a spot to sleep in a wardrobe or some other dark corner too. My cat has a set hiding space in one as he used to be terrified of everything and it seems to be a bit of a favourite spot at the moment when it's hot, it's probably cooler as it's dark the entire day and next to a wall which I assume is cold

I'm thinking of buying a cooling bandana for my dogs, but I can't find if they're any good or safe. If someone has tried them with their dog or know anything please let me know 😭

How about an air conditioned cinema? That’s what I’m considering.
You might want to check that....we went during the last heatwave as my daughter cannot tolerate anything above 25c and they hadn't switched it on. When I questioned it they said that they don't control their own AC, it's done at HQ, and out of their control.

• Wow
I put ice packs under my cats beds an the coldness seeps through I also wet a brush an brush them and also give them cat milk with a bit of water mixed in xx
i put ice packs under mine too but he still won’t use it 🤦🏼‍♀️ He doesn’t help himself that’s for sure!

Might be worth getting them a spot to sleep in a wardrobe or some other dark corner too. My cat has a set hiding space in one as he used to be terrified of everything and it seems to be a bit of a favourite spot at the moment when it's hot, it's probably cooler as it's dark the entire day and next to a wall which I assume is cold

I'm thinking of buying a cooling bandana for my dogs, but I can't find if they're any good or safe. If someone has tried them with their dog or know anything please let me know 😭
I don’t have a wardrobe 😆 and the sun is on the side of my flat all the time 🤦🏼‍♀️ He does sometimes sleep under the futon or under my bed so I’m going to put a towel down with ice packs and hope he decides to sleep on it. My ice packs are only thin so don’t last long but I’m going to put some bottles of water in the freezer and use them as ice packs too.

Interesting how it's forecast to be a lot hotter where I am in the North than many towns in the South, considering the heat is supposed to be coming from the South

Last night was the first night in weeks that I actually slept properly. We're all like zombies in our office. My daughter is home from uni for the summer and works in McDonald's, she's working Monday and thankfully off Tuesday. It's my WFH week next week but I'll probably end up in the office as it's a lot cooler. My living room is normally quite cool but its been roasting. Putting feet on carpet in these temperatures makes me hotter.

Attachments

Anyone else get hot weather anxiety because all the knobs start being more knobby with their anti-social behaviour?

Our street is generally quiet, but the nook I live in has become inhabited by sofa draggers who sit out all day and night, shouting at the top of their voices, having BBQs, kids running about etc. .

I'm praying for a massive storm.
Same. I can’t tell you how ducking SICK AND TIRED I am of hearing my neighbours crappy music. on repeat, one about packing up your tit and go, one about bleeping oh my love where did you go, another about not seeing someone’s name on their phone when they wake up.
They blast it out, started at 8am this morning.
I’m not mardy and I don’t mind people having fun, but stop being rude with the excessive volume. It’s so loud, I have to shout to talk to someone sat next to me, and they’re not even my next door neighbours!
God I’d love to live in a field

So basically We can’t enjoy our garden unless we are up for a rave.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I don’t mind people having fun
I do. The only neighbors I want are the kind you never hear. Half of the people are selfish cunts that never for a second contemplate how their behaviour negatively impacts other people.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I do. The only neighbors I want are the kind you never hear. Half of the people are selfish cunts that never for a second contemplate how their behaviour negatively impacts other people.
Their actual next door neighbour is a nhs nurse. I don’t know how she copes.

Thing is, you cannot report it to the council anon, and I REALLY don’t want them to know it was me.
I don’t feel comfortable going round and telling them to turn it down, even at 3am, the police do nothing too :(

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.