Meteorology moaning - aka the weather, let’s moan about the heat 🥵🔥☀️🔥

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I live in the North but I'm either not far enough North or not in the right part as it's been boiling here(last two days slightly cooler) and forecast to be 38 on Tuesday 🥵😭
It's windy and cold here on the North West coast 🌊

It rained this morning in Glasgow and it's predicted to be 8 degrees tonight 😆. It feels like a couple of weeks since any rain down in the south east, and the weeds keep growing!
Screenshot_20220715-132246_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 2
I am in the minority and I LOVE the heat. However, 38 is forecast for my area and the office that I work in has windows that don't open (it's a very old building) and no air conditioning. I am genuinely concerned as I am currently pregnant (9 weeks) and I feel nauseous as it is!!! Work doesn't know at the moment and I am trying to keep it that way. We aren't allowed to work from home either! Hopefully it isn't as hot as anticipated.

Really worried about my two dogs too who will be at home on their own whilst I am at work. I hope they don't get too hot. :cry:
Is there a reason you don’t want work to know, other than it being early? I had to tell mine at 7 weeks when I was being sick everyday so I do empathise. It’s a difficult situation I also had the same office situation and in heatwaves I wouldn’t go in as it was unsafe. Please put yourself first as it’s so easy to get heatstroke while pregnant.

Reactions: 1
It rained this morning in Glasgow and it's predicted to be 8 degrees tonight 😆. It feels like a couple of weeks since any rain down in the south east, and the weeds keep growing!
View attachment 1418856
I can confirm that it was pishing doon this morning. Rather cheesed off with OH as he promised to put away the garden chairs so they didn't get soaked 🤬 Fortunately it's sunny where we are this afternoon so hoping they dry out a bit.

Any advice on things to do with kids in a heatwave? I have family visiting me Sun-Wed with 3 kids (5, 3 and 14months). I live in a tiny one bed flat in a town centre with no outdoor space. They are staying on a basic campsite down the road. I’m sure the parents will have suggestions but I’m not a parent myself and am a bit stressed trying to think of appropriate activities where we can hide out from the sun! The family have come over from abroad so it’s kind of a big deal for them to visit and I want them to have a nice time!

Yes to rain this morn in central Scotland. Had to get my washing in double quick when I realised the clouds were clearing 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The heatwave of July 2022? Oh, it was quite warm. Being British, we all just got soldiered on and got on with it.

Desert skeleton.jpg

Reactions: 3
Any advice on things to do with kids in a heatwave? I have family visiting me Sun-Wed with 3 kids (5, 3 and 14months). I live in a tiny one bed flat in a town centre with no outdoor space. They are staying on a basic campsite down the road. I’m sure the parents will have suggestions but I’m not a parent myself and am a bit stressed trying to think of appropriate activities where we can hide out from the sun! The family have come over from abroad so it’s kind of a big deal for them to visit and I want them to have a nice time!
Can you spend some time outside the caravan that way you’re set up with what you need and can take a break inside if gets too hot? I saw a uv tent for £7 in Poundland this week and home bargains have lots of cheap paddling pools. They have little inflatable ones that have sprinklers in if you can access running water outside.

Is there an outside swimming pool or splash park nearby you could go to in the afternoon/evening once the intense sun of the day has gone?

I swear that met office and BBC have different forecasts. Where I am BBC says mid to high 30s from Sunday to Tues, but met office says max of 30. Weird. I hope for the latter though haha.

Is there a reason you don’t want work to know, other than it being early? I had to tell mine at 7 weeks when I was being sick everyday so I do empathise. It’s a difficult situation I also had the same office situation and in heatwaves I wouldn’t go in as it was unsafe. Please put yourself first as it’s so easy to get heatstroke while pregnant.

I have a pay review coming up and I don't want it to be affected. I know legally they can't do that but I feel like it may influence their decisions! But yes you're right I may have to put that to the side if the temperatures are going to be as high as predicted.

Honestly I’d take the day of to watch the dogs and because your expecting xx
I think this is what I am going to do x

• Heart
Does your local cinema have air con? Could watch a new movie or a local soft play that has air con. Me and partner take our kids sometimes to a soft play near us when it’s hot as they have air con and its usually quiet too. X

Working nights next week won’t be fun. Already struggling to sleep at night in this hear let alone having to sleep in the day next week. Thanks god work has air con and also is going to be quiet next week as we are partially closed for the week.

Will the AC work in all these places if it gets to 40c+?

I used to work in a chicken shed type building and most of the time it was fine, but when it got above mid 30's with bright sunlight the AC couldn't cope at all and it became very uncomfortable. People started opening fire escape doors that which didn't help either.

It’s a lot cooler here today (I’m by the sea though) only 22 according to bbc and there is actually a breeze today! Monday and Tuesday saying 32 where I am. Then seems the heatwave is over after Tuesday.

I nipped down the beach on Sunday just gone, it was a hot day and I was only there an hour or so and I got so burnt even with factor 50 on! With no shade, and very little breeze it was quite uncomfortable so I can't imagine what it will be like if we get the temps they predict!
You either didn't apply enough or the suscreen had expired.

I'm confused. Do you mean outside in the shade or in the flat? Considering they're only small why don't you set up a playing pool indoors? Get some snacks, toys, music. Adults can sit, talk and watch while they play.

Last edited:
I have a pay review coming up and I don't want it to be affected. I know legally they can't do that but I feel like it may influence their decisions! But yes you're right I may have to put that to the side if the temperatures are going to be as high as predicted.

I think this is what I am going to do x
Could you get a doctors note to sign you off but without stating a reason? Not sure if that’s a thing? Or just pull a sickie? X

Will the AC work in all these places if it gets to 40c+?

I used to work in a chicken shed type building and most of the time it was fine, but when it got above mid 30's with bright sunlight the AC couldn't cope at all and it became very uncomfortable. People started opening fire escape doors that which didn't help either.
I'm surprised, but I'll admit I don't know much about ACs. I know fans stop being effective above 35c and often make the person hotter instead. I'm a little worried. 😥 My plan is to create a makeshift AC by placing ice in front of the fan.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.