Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The problem is people I know and love keep recommending his books to me. Not a month goes by without saying “Kitsy you’d love him. It’s right up your street!”
What can this mean. It’s depressing.
100% this. I have to bite my tongue so I don’t fall out with virtually everyone I know.

Most of the people I follow are reposting his tit. Most of my friends (which admittedly are much fewer in number than they used to be) are banging on about him.

SHUT UP ABOUT HIM.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I used to absolutely love his books and what he stood for but after Notes on a Nervous Planet fame and success definitely changed him.

I also find it wrong that he is super preachy about mental health issues while being super privileged. He is completely out of touch with reality.

Reactions: 11
I think he started out good, with "reasons to stay alive" but he's quite condescending even to his own fans. I remember he called someone a psycho, to which other people pointed out that he can't possibly stand up for people with mental health whilst calling people negative words associated with mental health. It's like calling someone "mental" as a mental health advocate. Psycho is no better.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I think he started out good, with "reasons to stay alive" but he's quite condescending even to his own fans. I remember he called someone a psycho, to which other people pointed out that he can't possibly stand up for people with mental health whilst calling people negative words associated with mental health. It's like calling someone "mental" as a mental health advocate. Psycho is no better.
He doesn’t take criticism well at all… you literally can’t say anything, not even in a civilised and constructive way, unless you sing his praises. He will turn nasty on your super fast.

Reactions: 9
He did but has changed for the worst as we all know. I think he let the success of Reasons To Stay Alive and Notes On A Nervous Planet get to his head.

Like I said in an earlier comment, I’ll always be thankful to Reasons because it gave me hope during an extremely dark period of my life where I was barely hanging on. It remains one of my favourite books to this day, as much as I think he should’ve gone further in depth.

Given his line of work and being in the public eye, he needs to take criticism better as it’s not one of his strong suits at all. Even constructive criticism put kindly will have him be horrible to you. He acts like he’s been poked with a fire hot stick.

Reactions: 6
I have been remiss in screenshots lately

today has been a goldmine

deleted rapidly

20210913_200434.jpg

a brief reminder of the hansel and gretel story to come. (i will sue if he uses any of my ideas) also not sure if the squig is being salty, i choose to believe

20210913_200518.jpg

and, finally, lo. the day has come. he is retiring from mental health spokespersonship

20210913_200349.jpg

20210913_200358.jpg

presumably in favour of adapting his novels for q4 movies

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Reading here Matt?

Go for a walk on your pebbly beach instead and look at your million pound pastel-coloured houses.

No one ever dismissed your depression or anxiety. We dismiss your writing, your repetitive, self-indulgent tweets and your complete failure to acknowledge your own privilege.

Reactions: 23
1 Your last book was LITERALLY drivel to help us all mentally.

2 You should step back from this because you are tit AT IT

3 oh duck off. You will be back at it as soon as there is money involved. Your last book also involved a person in mental distress. God knows you can’t keep from referring to it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
film trailer's here, along with the predictable "what, little old me?" tweet as if he didn't have the contacts and didn't deliberately write a book with the full intention of a xmas film

looks crap anyway

Screenshot_20210915-210110_Twitter.jpg

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
film trailer's here, along with the predictable "what, little old me?" tweet as if he didn't have the contacts and didn't deliberately write a book with the full intention of a xmas film

looks crap anyway

View attachment 764912

Oh dear that film looks utter manipulative pish. Even with the lovely Toby Jones. Really substandard Neil Gaiman.

• Haha

looks crap anyway

View attachment 764912

Ffs I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the whole trailer 🤮 Times like this I’m extremely thankful I don’t have kids so I don’t have to suffer watching shite like that 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
I love how much Ed Simmons from The Chemical Brothers slams this guy. Ed is proper reasonable (rightly furious about Brexit and always has been) but he absolutely could be on this thread.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Lol. Or maybe Matt needs to learn that not everything one thinks needs to be said aloud or posted online.
I couldn’t think what to say about that story! He really thinks his every waking thought/brain fart needs to be transmitted to his eager followers. Can we blame the gin as he often does? 😬

He is the Dan Brown of inspirational quotes. The charity shops of the UK need to brace themselves for the tsunami of MH tomes that will soon outnumber the DB and Fifty Shades paperbacks on their shelves. Think of the trees Matt!

I should unfollow him as he makes me rage 🤬
5548AC43-302F-4CD0-B791-8E4195E5BB22.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
I volunteer in a charity shop.

In the same way that I hide all MH books in every bookshop I go into, when a MH book comes in (every shift I work) I put it at the bottom of the “books to go out on the shelf pile”.

If I come in and someone has put one of his books on the shelf I replace it with a John Grisham.

I love working there. Doing good work three times a week.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
I couldn’t think what to say about that story! He really thinks his every waking thought/brain fart needs to be transmitted to his eager followers. Can we blame the gin as he often does? 😬

He is the Dan Brown of inspirational quotes. The charity shops of the UK need to brace themselves for the tsunami of MH tomes that will soon outnumber the DB and Fifty Shades paperbacks on their shelves. Think of the trees Matt!

I should unfollow him as he makes me rage 🤬View attachment 767231
What the duck is he on about "I had less than a week to live"?

Reactions: 11
like today, 17th sept 1999 was a friday. and, if he means eldon square was the shopping centre, i used to walk through there every day on my way home from school. there's every chance i may have just missed the great man himself. wow, to think i could have been a stranger he cried amid!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10