Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
like today, 17th sept 1999 was a friday. and, if he means eldon square was the shopping centre, i used to walk through there every day on my way home from school. there's every chance i may have just missed the great man himself. wow, to think i could have been a stranger he cried amid!
He won’t have been in Eldon square it didn’t have a Waitrose then!!!! Can you imagine?

He probably meant he was in the metro centre because you know, that’s in the north east too 🙃🙃🙃.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
He won’t have been in Eldon square it didn’t have a Waitrose then!!!! Can you imagine?

He probably meant he was in the metro centre because you know, that’s in the north east too 🙃🙃🙃.
If we could build a time machine I know we're supposed to stop Hitler, but can we take a detour on the way to see Matt Haig crying on the Ferris wheel in metroland?

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I loathe the man, but feel uncomfortable with mocking an episode of severe distress.
I agree. However a couple of days ago he posted this.
D1B1D764-4B07-4B65-8530-39446FEE9667.jpeg

I think this kind of thing just shows how separated he is from some people who truly are at rock bottom.

I don’t want to go into a rant that I have to put behind a spoiler or talk about the different kinds of disorder where you can’t look forward or back from your current situation or where you globalise everything to the nth degree. But when I read this seemingly good-meaning post, telling people to imagine themselves when things were good and to wait until they are good again all my sympathy for him went out of the window.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
View attachment 767421
I think this kind of thing just shows how separated he is from some people who truly are at rock bottom.

I don’t want to go into a rant that I have to put behind a spoiler or talk about the different kinds of disorder where you can’t look forward or back from your current situation or where you globalise everything to the nth degree. But when I read this seemingly good-meaning post, telling people to imagine themselves when things were good and to wait until they are good again all my sympathy for him went out of the window.

I totally agree with this. I find it to show a total lack of empathy, particularly from someone who has had periods of severe depression. When you're not right in the thick of it then yes, you know those things logically, but being told to wait for things to get better when your depression is very bad is actually quite crushing (speaking from very current experience here) - the idea of having to just wait endlessly when you are in pain every day actually makes me feel more despairing.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I totally agree with this. I find it to show a total lack of empathy, particularly from someone who has had periods of severe depression. When you're not right in the thick of it then yes, you know those things logically, but being told to wait for things to get better when your depression is very bad is actually quite crushing (speaking from very current experience here) - the idea of having to just wait endlessly when you are in pain every day actually makes me feel more despairing.
Yes those trite things he comes out with minimise pain rather than help. It is the same as saying 'Cheer up! Things can only get better! Just think happy thoughts!'
I don't understand tbh, as he doesn't strike me as unintelligent. But he must know when he was at his most despairing that someone telling him to remember times when he felt bad, but got over it, would not be helpful in the slightest.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It would be good if we could have a MH support thread on here. I find your posts really interesting, @Into_the_tunnel. I’m not sure if it would work?
We've had some in the past. Not a general MH thread, but definitely some around depression & anxiety in the advice and off topic sections
Link to some threads about depression

View attachment 767421
I feel very similarly. A trite quote on social media does not help when you are struggling.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Social media appears to be contributing massively to his anxiety. He would be best to employ someone to take over his SM to promote his books & avoid it completely for his own mental well-being. I get that he’s helping people, but at the expense of his own mental health by being this spokesperson for it. He’s not qualified in mental health to be giving any advice to others without triggering people. He’s far too sensitive to the opinions of others & he gets himself involved in way too much drama that’s none of his business & then doesn’t know how to handle it. It’s a huge responsibility being the spokesperson for so many people struggling with their mental health & hanging off every quote & book when he’s clearly struggling himself & isn’t even qualified in this field. I don’t think social media & having a huge public platform is good for a lot of people & he’s one of them. People don’t need to know what his personal opinions are on world affairs & politics to sell his books. If he invites people into his personal life then he’s inviting them in to have an option on his life, good & bad as that’s how social media works now. Everyone has different views based on their own environment, circumstances & perception so not everyone will like what he says & some people will be offended and triggered but he can’t seem to handle it. I think it’s dangerous having such a big platform & speaking about issues you’re not qualified on & these types of accounts should be proper regulated & limited to proper professionals only. That way more people can have access to free, quality professional advice when they need it without being diluted by all the people that aren’t qualified.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Social media appears to be contributing massively to his anxiety. He would be best to employ someone to take over his SM to promote his books & avoid it completely for his own mental well-being. I get that he’s helping people, but at the expense of his own mental health by being this spokesperson for it. He’s not qualified in mental health to be giving any advice to others without triggering people. He’s far too sensitive to the opinions of others & he gets himself involved in way too much drama that’s none of his business & then doesn’t know how to handle it. I don’t think social media & having a huge public platform is good for a lot of people & he’s one of them. People don’t need to know what his personal opinions are on world affairs & politics to sell his books. If he invites people into his personal life then he’s inviting them in to have an option on his life, good & bad as that’s how social media works now. Everyone has different views based on their own environment, circumstances & perception so not everyone will like what he says & some people will be offended and triggered but he can’t seem to handle it. I think it’s dangerous having such a big platform & speaking about issues you’re not qualified on & these types of accounts should be proper regulated & limited to proper professionals only. That way more people can have access to free, quality professional advice when they need it without being diluted by all the people that aren’t qualified.
Sums it up perfectly.

He says he is leaving Twitter and FB and wants to go on TikTok, in the same story stream as reposting this from someone else.

251F892E-BAE8-457F-89C0-E8C54D961AED.jpeg

If he cannot see that if you have severe D, A or other MH condition then the best way to take care of yourself is to see a professional who will advise you on the best course of action (medication, CBT, or other form of therapy), then he shouldn’t be posting this stuff.

This is what he should be encouraging, not woolly “self-care”, walking on pebbly beaches, talking about being the sky above hurricanes.

Taking medication or seeing a psychiatrist for a mental health condition is not a sign of failure. For many it is the only way to live. He needs to acknowledge this if he is going to stay on IG and continue to talk about MH. Yes, there are waiting lists, but Matt refusing to talk about the role of different interventions other than his crappy books is making the stigma of using those interventions worse.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
He doesn’t follow his own advice then? If he’s not really into TikTok & not comfortable doing videos then why would he even consider it? Didn’t he say something along the lines of if you don’t want to go to a party, don’t go. If you don’t like your job, leave, If you don’t want to join TikTok because it’s not your thing.. don’t!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
Yes those trite things he comes out with minimise pain rather than help. It is the same as saying 'Cheer up! Things can only get better! Just think happy thoughts!'
I don't understand tbh, as he doesn't strike me as unintelligent. But he must know when he was at his most despairing that someone telling him to remember times when he felt bad, but got over it, would not be helpful in the slightest.
He is someone who is clearly intelligent on some levels but is absolutely brain dead in other areas. He might be a fantastic author of fiction for example but comes across as a complete soft dolt in most other aspects of his life.

Reactions: 3
He doesn’t follow his own advice then? If he’s not really into TikTok & not comfortable doing videos then why would he even consider it? Didn’t he say something along the lines of if you don’t want to go to a party, don’t go. If you don’t like your job, leave, If you don’t want to join TikTok because it’s not your thing.. don’t!
All his social media “eggs in one basket”? FFS! It’s so transparent that he means his public profile and access to potential customers. This should be a conversation with his agent, not posted to all his followers.

Reactions: 8
Plus there's that weird thing Influencers do where they add up all their followers across platforms to attract jobs/clients/work without acknowledging there's probably a fair bit of overlap.

In Matt's case -
IG - 728K
Twitter - 463.4K
FB - 76K
Total - 1,267,400

If he dumps twitter and FB he cuts down on his 'total followers' to below a million....

Reactions: 5
Dude needs to stop reading literally everything ever written about him.

From: https://lithub.com/all-our-possible...h-matt-haig-and-the-female-suicide-narrative/

Why is Haig’s admittedly autobiographical protagonist a woman?

[...]

Women protagonists are “allowed” to be more emotional and vulnerable, so there’s an additional layer of protection for the male author, but one that comes at a detriment to the novel. The subjectivity of the main character is missing, making Nora little more than a caricature of a Freudian hysteric, a sad but still fuckable basket case. Misbelieving, misreading, misdiagnosing, and misusing women who live with mental illness is a practice as old as the discipline of psychology itself. Wouldn’t the more courageous thing—the more ethical thing—be to write a male protagonist honestly, however painful that may be for the author? While Plath continues to be a specter of mental illness, Haig has become a poster boy for mental health awareness.
Matt Haig:
Have written main characters who were vampires, aliens, cats, boys, girls, women, 400 year old men, pixies, Labradors, but the hardest one, the one I really can't do is a man of my own age. So weird. How it is often easier to write what you don't know.

Attachments

• Heart

From: https://lithub.com/all-our-possible...h-matt-haig-and-the-female-suicide-narrative/

Matt Haig:
No Matt, it is easier to write about a woman in this case because most of literature and research on mental health is written about women.

You are absolutely correct in that it would have been harder for you to write a book about a man suffering a breakdown, but this is because you would have had less research to draw on, not due to some tit excuse you gave about your writing ability.

However, if you wanted to do justice to all your SM shouting, you should have worked really hard, looked for the research that is out there on the experiences of men who suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts and then you would have had a book that was relevant, helpful and suitable to those who need it the most.

moron.

Reactions: 13

Matt Haig:

matt sweetie, your alien was in the body of a white middle aged cishet man who happens to like many things you like and feels awkward around people, so i think it's fair to say they were based on you (incidentally, if anyone has a sub, i've seen that the humans is on kindle unlimited if you really wanted to read it, but not pay for it)

anyhoo, that lithub article's fantastic, she really doesn't like him or the book, does she! thank you for sharing. can't believe i didn't make the connection between it and the bell jar before now! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
He’s chatting absolute tit again. Claiming he doesn’t have experience of being a boy 😂 I bet a tenner he wrote the original tweet, forgot his train of thought, noticed he only included girls/women and didn’t want to make it about gender so added in “boys”, forgetting that it would make no sense.

Notice something that unites every other character he doesn’t have personal experience of, except for girls and women? They are fantasy beings, or at least in the animals case, their narratives are fantasy. He can make any old tit up and it’s inconsequential. Labradors are hardly going to be complaining to the RSPCA about Matt Haig’s inaccurate portrayal of their breed. After that tweet about women fleeing Afghanistan, I’m absolutely going to read “too much” into the fact he shelves women’s and girl’s experiences alongside pixies’.

Women are not easy to write unless your characters are Mary Sues.

• Wow
Wait til #ownvoices Twitter gets hold of him.
FWIW I think the point of fiction is to write imaginatively, especially fantasy so I don’t buy into all the only lives experience being written stuff. However, too many straight white men authors so can cut those down.

Reactions: 6