Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find it really jarring to see his latest post on misogyny (relevant, valid and one that I agree with) alongside his story, posted from someone else, highlighting how many people are reading his book on a train.

It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth and in my opinion just shows the narcissism through and through.

Reactions: 1
I know we need to keep it on thread (and for once this isn’t a go at Matt because he seems to be doing the right thing with this one) but is anyone else just completely overwhelmed with what is going on in Afghanistan right now? I just don’t have any idea how people (at least the ones I normally follow) can post their everyday tit about running etc.

Sorry for off topic mild rant.

😔

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Yes, @Into_the_tunnel, I know what you mean. I’ve been following quite a few Afghani women on Twitter to at least show we are listening. And trying to find small local ngos. I also do understand people getting on with their normal lives, but it does feel surreal that such awful events are happening, and we are to an extent complicit.

Reactions: 9
I meant to post this earlier, but got distracted. but here's his absolutely lukewarm take on Afghanistan. he has since deleted it

20210816_210956.jpg

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
He always sinks lower doesn’t he? I would have thought it’s a hierarchy of risk. But what does Matt know about this anyway? duck all? What a surprise!

He’s a bleeping twit. (Again, sorry I can’t be more constructive.)

• Haha
Wtaf? Has he read one single thing about the situation?
According to today’s post he has been too busy “resting”. He really has no idea does he?

I gave him the benefit of the doubt this morning, but he can go back to his white MC privileged Brighton pebbly bubble now.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
According to today’s post he has been too busy “resting”. He really has no idea does he?

I gave him the benefit of the doubt this morning, but he can go back to his white MC privileged Brighton pebbly bubble now.
If that really is the case (and not a load of bollocks 🤔) then why comment at all, let alone publicly, on something you clearly have been “too busy resting” to know anything about? twit.

• Angry
Reactions: 6
Used to love him. RTSA genuinely helped me in 2016. Specifically the line about us being hominid apes.

Since then he's disappeared up his own arse.

Some people need medication in order to get out of bed in the morning and to even brush their damn teeth. He never acknowledges people who are currently too ill to engage in "self care". MH treatment is layered. You have to reach a certain level of "wellness", in order to participate in this flim flam tit. Eventually I realised how toxic his approach was; at least for me.

Riding a bleeping bike in Brighton in the rain might help him, but does he realise how privileged he is to be able to a) live somewhere nice b) have the flexibility to be able to jump on a bike on a whim in order to relieve some anxiety?

I'm not gatekeeping btw. I acknowledge mental illness affects us all regardless of wealth. It's his one-approach fits all attitude that fucks me off.

And no I don't wanna meet you on a bastarding tour.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Cutting down his latest Insta behaviour to a few key points.

1. he is being a twit in Scotland.

2. he is quoting Sartre in a manner that leads me to suspect he thinks he is the bomb.

3. our blackberry-picking, Plath-quoting friend loves the Sartre quote, unsurprisingly.

• Haha
This week we have Tourist Information MH. Designed especially for the poor buggers who can’t afford a lovely twee twatathon in the magical land of Scotland.

Nice views interspersed with quotes from his own books. Self promotion as usual. At least he hasn’t shared any pics of his meals (that’s to come I expect).

Reactions: 6
Wooded area behind my house (tunnel’s version)

I want you all to
Look at that
Wooded area behind my house
That cats use and
My neighbour tried to turn into an allotment during the
Great Pandemic of 2020.
Look at that wooded area
For a moment
Breathe it in
Before you go
It might be a Barratts Home next time
You come.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I've had to come out of lurkdom to tell you this. Husband said "I'm reading a really good book. It had 95000 positive reviews on amazon, so I thought I'd give it a go. There's this woman, Nora, who wants to die...."

"STOP! Is it midnight library by Matt Haig?"

"Yes"

"And you paid for it?"

"Yes"

"duck it, more money in Matt Haig's pocket. I bought it last year thinking he was a nice twitter guy, but he's not, he's a pious narcissist and the book is patronising twaddle."

Then I felt bad for being so vocal in my opinion (husband and I read very different stuff), so I left him with this instruction: DO NOT BUY ANY MORE MATT HAIG BOOKS (please and thank you).

• Haha
Reactions: 16
He's really talking about himself isn't he?
Replace 'Sally Rooney' with 'me'.

Also, people should be allowed to talk about things they've read and haven't enjoyed.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
He's really talking about himself isn't he?
Replace 'Sally Rooney' with 'me'.

Also, people should be allowed to talk about things they've read and haven't enjoyed.
Jealousy? So if you bother to purchase a book, read it and discuss the fact you don't like it you are 'jealous'? What an incredibly juvenile take on things.
And yes he basically is applying it to himself. Only talk about his books positively please jealous haterz.

• Heart
Reactions: 13