Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

House of Tea

VIP Member
This is it for makeup as far as I can see. There’s a separate one for skincare devices/ machines (IPL, LED masks etc), and I think there’s a couple I’ve found where skincare seem to be discussed. If you want let me know and I’ll link them so you can have a look.
It would be good to have a general thread on all thinks beauty related - make up/hair/body products - like a Q & A. That way If you have a quick question, you might get a few quick responses. I want to ask a question about my hair but can’t see where I would put something like that.

I don’t think I can start a thread but might contact admin, unless one of you guys can do it?

It could be called: Beauty Q & A (All things Beauty/Hair/Make up) #1

Reactions: 3

Base2019

VIP Member
Anyone got a recommendation for a great mascara that doesn’t smudge under the eyes throughout the day? I’ve tried so many over the years but can’t find the “one”.
Lancôme Hypnose is fab!!! For a really good cheaper one maybelline lash sensational - the pink bottled one... fab!

House of Tea

VIP Member
Weleda skin food. It’s a lovely rich moisturiser designed for dry skin. It’s made a massive difference to my skin and when I wear make up, and it’s meant to be very similar to the bobbi brown enriched face base that everyone raves about under make up.
You can get a lite version of this too if you want to try but your skin isn’t that dry.The original is very rich and quite dragging on the skin. I use it as a foot cream where it performs miracles.

@justheretoread99 About Beauty Blenders - do you use the brand Beauty Blender or do you use other similar products that are cheaper? Is it worth shelling out for a BB?
Yes I currently use the branded Beauty Blender as I like how soft it is and blends foundation and cream products amazingly. I’ve tried Real Techniques and Superdrug/Boots own branded sponges but can’t get on with them, they’re quite firm and it’s difficult to blend.

Best heavy duty, full coverage matte foundation?
A lot of people don’t like it because it’s quite thick but I swear by it. Estée Lauder Double Wear.

I’ve been seeing good thinks about the new B Perfect Cosmetics Chroma Cover foundation. Anyone recently tried it?

Please can someone advise me about your favourite contour products- both cream and powder, and both high end and drug store.

I want to treat myself but im finding it difficult to find the right shade. I want it to be the slightly cool/ash/grey type colour and not the warm bronzer type colour, as i hate it when bronze is used for contour. I have looked at the ABH pallete but even those colours look too dark and warm. I have heard lots of good things about KKW contour stick but i dont know if i can justify the price.

Thank you :)
Cream - I use ‘NYX Mineral Stick Foundation’ in shade 11. Blends out so nicely with a beauty blender and IMO works better for contour then it would a foundation.
I used to own the ABH cream contour palette years ago but was very yellow toned. Too much for my skin. Blended amazingly though. They might do a cooler/lighter palette now though as I’m talking at-least 5/6 years ago.

Powder - NARS Laguna Bronzer & Benefit Hoola Bronzer are on the cool toned side.
I currently use Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in shade ‘Fair/Medium’ that includes face sculpt and highlight. Hate the highlight but sculpting powder is amazing. Not sure if you can buy it separately though

My friend used to have the KKW contour stick and said it was amazing although couldn’t justify the price aswell as import tax and shipping (US to UK)

I think most of them smudge to some degree but I do think putting some eyeshadow over it makes a massive difference... I use a Mac eye pencil in shade coffee and then set with a small bit of dark brown eyeshadow with an angled eyeshadow brush.. always works for me 👌🏻Setting spray will help too 👌🏻
Second this! For the waterline: Any kohl liner (I just use cheap ones from Superdrug) with a bit of black/dark brown eyeshadow works a great.
Lid: Any drug store liquid liners or gel liners look amazing with black shadow over the top as it intensifies the colour.

IMO drugstore eyeliners are better then anything high end. Always sharpen the pencils to get a more precise line. And anything waterproof will avoid smudging.

• Heart

Dontmissmuch

VIP Member
No way, don’t pay that!! It was like £6 on Amazon!!! The Ordinary does a similar serum if you search for Matrixyl.
Thank you so much..... I had no idea how much it would be so glad I've checked... I will put a watch on it on Amazon and in the meantime look at the other one..... appreciate your advice :)

Reactions: 2

Walnutss

VIP Member
Cream - I use ‘NYX Mineral Stick Foundation’ in shade 11. Blends out so nicely with a beauty blender and IMO works better for contour then it would a foundation.
I used to own the ABH cream contour palette years ago but was very yellow toned. Too much for my skin. Blended amazingly though. They might do a cooler/lighter palette now though as I’m talking at-least 5/6 years ago.

Powder - NARS Laguna Bronzer & Benefit Hoola Bronzer are on the cool toned side.
I currently use Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in shade ‘Fair/Medium’ that includes face sculpt and highlight. Hate the highlight but sculpting powder is amazing. Not sure if you can buy it separately though

My friend used to have the KKW contour stick and said it was amazing although couldn’t justify the price aswell as import tax and shipping (US to UK)

Second this! For the waterline: Any kohl liner (I just use cheap ones from Superdrug) with a bit of black/dark brown eyeshadow works a great.
Lid: Any drug store liquid liners or gel liners look amazing with black shadow over the top as it intensifies the colour.

IMO drugstore eyeliners are better then anything high end. Always sharpen the pencils to get a more precise line. And anything waterproof will avoid smudging.
Agreed on the using a foundation stick for ur contour I literally use the primark one! Its amazing
Have u tried the new hoola bronzer? They have made a shimmer aswell as a matte

• Heart

Ls2991

Does anyone know where you can get sample sizes of these products? I don't mind spending money on something that works for me but I don't want to pay through the nose for something that ends up not suiting me.
I always just ask in store for samples and they’ll give you a pot to try - last time I did it was just before Covid, but can’t see why that would change it

House of Tea

VIP Member
I have used the Chanel, not impressed, makes me look yellow. I also find it quite hard to use, it is quite a stiff product. Others rave over it, so might just be me. They have recently reformulated it so it may be better. W7 do a dupe, worth looking at the reviews for that, it is almost identical but obviously a lot cheaper.

Eureka

VIP Member
I think most of them smudge to some degree but I do think putting some eyeshadow over it makes a massive difference... I use a Mac eye pencil in shade coffee and then set with a small bit of dark brown eyeshadow with an angled eyeshadow brush.. always works for me 👌🏻Setting spray will help too 👌🏻
Never thought of doing that, brilliant suggestion. Thanks (y)

• Heart

TJ90

VIP Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for a really lovely foundation / buffing brush? I’ve used Real Techniques for yonks but recently got a couple of Mac eye brushes and now my RT brushes feel cheap. The other thing I’m on the lookout for is a low maintenance natural lip colour lipstick / gloss for every day wear.
Also has anyone used Chanel Tan de Soleil? I’ve heard holy grail things about it!
Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk is my go to for daytime. I LOVE the make up brushes from Peaches and Cream

House of Tea

VIP Member
@Base2019 I have looked at this lash stuff before but hesitated over the price. I notice it doesn’t have the traditional wand for lashes. How do you apply, is it easy? Also, how long does it last?

There’s always premium beauty sales on John Lewis, and sometimes direct from Bobbi Brown.
Look
Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched face base. It’s fabulous. It isn’t cheap but loads of ‘influncers’ seem to have a Look Fantastic discount code
Look Fantastic have 20% off this at the moment. Unfortunately the sample size was sold out so had to buy it elsewhere, but if you want a full size one it is reduced. Also ASOS (where I got my sample) have 20% off if you spend 20 quid +.

Last edited:

justapossum

Can anyone recommend a good satin finish medium coverage foundation please? Estée Lauder double wear was my holy grail but I’ve been having to mix it with my moisturiser as my skin is becoming more combination/dry.
If you're looking for something cheaper, I highly recommend L.A Girl Pro Coverage HD Long Wear Illuminating Liquid Foundation (it's on BeautyBay for about £10 and it's also cruelty-free). I have normal/dry skin and this foundation looks really healthy and glowy on my skin, and it has medium coverage 😊

tagliatelle

Boots has their own brand of one a huge bottle for £1 it's good
Ooh, thanks. I’ll try it. I’m using the Garnier oil-infused stuff at the moment, but it’s a bit pricey when it’s not on offer.

Can I please just take a moment to rave about Fenty Skin and Beauty?! I loooove the hydra vizor spf, the peach eyeshadow palette and the cream bronzer (Butta Biscuit) and cream blush (Rosé Latte). It’s Boots’ brand of the week (20% off) and I’m eyeing up other palettes. Help.

Can anyone recommend a good satin finish medium coverage foundation please? Estée Lauder double wear was my holy grail but I’ve been having to mix it with my moisturiser as my skin is becoming more combination/dry.
Nars Natural Radiant Longwear foundation has a good coverage with a dewy/satin finish!

If anyone has any pressed powder recommendations for my oily AF forehead I would be eternally grateful. Bonus points if I can get it off Asos as they’ve got 20% on and payday isn’t for another two weeks! My face genuinely looks greasy.. post pill probs 🤯
Try a mattefying primer/foundation. Failing that use a translucent powder. I swear by Laura Mercier, it’s a little pricey but really nice.