Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

under the ivy

VIP Member
I agree with ‘setting’ the eyeliner pencil with the same colour eyeshadow. I always wear brown pencil on my upper lash line and go over it with a dark brown shadow. I really want to try the Charlotte Tilbury eye pencils.

Reactions: 4

Jerry Garcia

Chatty Member
hi guys after some advice! apologies as it’s not make up but can anyone recommend a good eye cream/serum? I mainly get tired eyes and underneath the skin looks a bit loose so maybe I need something to firm them up? I’m bloody rubbish at knowing anything about make up/skin care so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🥰
I've tried all the expensive ones and the best one ever is the Avon Anew one - it's one half gel, and one half cream - it's the only one ever that actually Made A Difference

Reactions: 4

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
So, I'm refreshing my makeup bag and previously asked for foundation recommendations for the over-40's.

Now I wonder if anyone could give me their makeup game changers? Basically, one WOW item that stopped you buying different brands and that you have stuck with because its so good.

Especially interested in anything that is really good value for money and not ultra expensive 🙂
Eyelash curlers - just the cheap metal ones from any chemist or supermarket. Cant live without them!!!

Maybelline “The Falsies” waterproof mascara

Benefit Boi-ing concealer

Burts Bees tinted lip gloss - I don’t particularly like wearing lipstick but I like these as they are essentially a tinted lip balm - cheap and they keep your lips soft with a hint of colour

Eye lid primer - makes your eye make up really pop and stay true to the colour it’s meant to be and stops it from creasing in the skin on the lid

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Abongo2

Chatty Member
Mac face and body is lovely and lightweight. Doesn’t settle in to fine lines and is waterproof. No spf though but a good one for night out so no flashbacks with the photo flash.

I use the lash paradise primer and the maybelline sky high class lash mascara (It’s in a pink tube) the primer and the mascara together make your lashes look really long.

• Heart

tagliatelle

Does anyone have any light/medium coverage foundation recommendations? I used to use Mac studio fix but only using a CC cream these days, foundation feels very drying and heavy so looking for something a bit lighter. I've tried the Ordinary foundation which was fine for 6 quid but melted off way too fast.
IT Cosmetics’ Your Skin But Better is great!

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Is there a general make up/beauty thread? Like a running thread?
This is it for makeup as far as I can see. There’s a separate one for skincare devices/ machines (IPL, LED masks etc), and I think there’s a couple I’ve found where skincare seem to be discussed. If you want let me know and I’ll link them so you can have a look.

Base2019

VIP Member
There's seems to be a few versions of the Estee Lauder double wear one. Any particular recommendations? Looking for something lightweight.
I like the original one il post a photo of it 😘 a little goes a long way with this concealer, if your wanting more lightweight with this one I’d say to dab it on lightly with your finger ☺

Attachments

• Heart

Very traditional

VIP Member
I've tried 2 Fenty products this week for the first time and I'm super impressed! The Eaze drop skin tint really does do what it says - blurs and evens skin tone. I've worn it twice now and it looks like I have no make up on but very that I have good skin - this is amazing for me as my skin recently has been red and blotchy and I have freckles so this just evens it all out and makes me look natural and healthy. I've used it with the Bright Fix under eye concealer which is super light and doesn't cake under my eyes.

MinnnieMouse

Stay Perfect, no 7 gold tube. It’s a tubing one, does not budge. Doesn’t give a dramatic look but you can build it up a bit. 2nd choice for me would be Clinique Lash Power.

I have not tried this tip myself, but you can use a normal more dramatic mascara, and lock it in with a tubing one. As I said, not tried this myself, I don’t go in for the full flutter, but I read it somewhere.

And I avoid putting mascara on bottom lashes, not only for the smudging, but it seems to exacerbate my dark circles, and they are a bit too long and spidery.
Seeing your comment about the circles reminded me that I LOVE beauty pie sumerluminous undereye genuis. I don't often rate their make up but that is really good. You are supposed to wear it under concealer but that does the job on it's own for me - my shadows are kind of bluey and I buy the light medium.

tagliatelle

Agree with moisturiser and primer. Make sure the formulae match your foundation - e.g. water-based primer and water-based foundation, or else your make up will split.

I really like cream-based products - the Fenty Cheeks Out bronzer/blusher in Butta Biscuit and Rose Latte are lovely. The Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown cream shadow sticks are lovely, too. They’re a bit pricier but you can often get minis at Christmas time.

Agree with moisturiser and primer. Make sure the formulae match your foundation - e.g. water-based primer and water-based foundation, or else your make up will split.

I really like cream-based products - the Fenty Cheeks Out bronzer/blusher in Butta Biscuit and Rose Latte are lovely. The Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown cream shadow sticks are lovely, too. They’re a bit pricier but you can often get minis at Christmas time.
Oh, I meant to say: Maybelline mascara forever and always!

• Heart
Yes I currently use the branded Beauty Blender as I like how soft it is and blends foundation and cream products amazingly. I’ve tried Real Techniques and Superdrug/Boots own branded sponges but can’t get on with them, they’re quite firm and it’s difficult to blend.
I’m the same - I personally haven’t found another that compares

Walnutss

VIP Member
Ooh, thanks. I’ll try it. I’m using the Garnier oil-infused stuff at the moment, but it’s a bit pricey when it’s not on offer.

Can I please just take a moment to rave about Fenty Skin and Beauty?! I loooove the hydra vizor spf, the peach eyeshadow palette and the cream bronzer (Butta Biscuit) and cream blush (Rosé Latte). It’s Boots’ brand of the week (20% off) and I’m eyeing up other palettes. Help.
I use the garnier oil one too how good does it make ur skin it always 2.99 in savers

Fentys cream highlighter blush is amazing havent tried other products but I've heard good stuff about her new foundation

hi guys after some advice! apologies as it’s not make up but can anyone recommend a good eye cream/serum? I mainly get tired eyes and underneath the skin looks a bit loose so maybe I need something to firm them up? I’m bloody rubbish at knowing anything about make up/skin care so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🥰
Get the ordinary argeline solution 10% botox in a bottle and only usually a fiver

Base2019

VIP Member
What Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadow palette would look best with blue eyes? I love browns/taupes/golds. I’m drawn to the pillow talk one but I think I’ll look washed out
I have the Bella Sofia one, I have blue eyes too lol I really like it. Can be used for daytime or a nice nighttime look. I really like the one they call the primer on it’s own it’s really good for a nice daytime look on it’s on with some liner! It really opens up my eyes. I find the pillow talk one very pinky on blue eyes, if I’m in any way tired I think those tones emphasise any redness in my eyes so I tend to avoid 🙈 probably just me tho, sleep is not my strong point 🤣

Base2019

VIP Member
Does anyone have any light/medium coverage foundation recommendations? I used to use Mac studio fix but only using a CC cream these days, foundation feels very drying and heavy so looking for something a bit lighter. I've tried the Ordinary foundation which was fine for 6 quid but melted off way too fast.
Estée Lauder futurist hydra rescue moisturising make up is unreal 😍😍 also spf 45 so fab for summer 👌🏻

Base2019

VIP Member
Any recommendations for a decent quality eye liner or pencil that won't smudge?
I think most of them smudge to some degree but I do think putting some eyeshadow over it makes a massive difference... I use a Mac eye pencil in shade coffee and then set with a small bit of dark brown eyeshadow with an angled eyeshadow brush.. always works for me 👌🏻Setting spray will help too 👌🏻

Base2019

VIP Member
Eyebrow tint

Uk lash eyelash serum... the difference in my lashes is crazyyyyy!! Makes any mascara look good 👌🏻

CherryAcid

VIP Member
Quick question ... not strictly make up but wondering if anyone has any suggestions ..... I'm mid/late 50's and looking for a good eye cream to try and minimise the wrinkles.... I was using a Tropic one but not overly impressed..... TIA :)
Matrixyl gets rid of fine lines especially around the eyes. I have been using a really cheap brand called Eclat from Amazon. They have a eye serum that has definitely helped with my eyes. I’ve actually used a lot of their products and haven’t been disappointed yet.

• Heart

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Any recommendations for a decent quality eye liner or pencil that won't smudge?
Eyeko sport pencil eyeliner and the Glossier liquid eyeliner pen got me through a funeral. Not a smudge. Also co sign on the urban decay 24 hr eyeliner pencil.

Base2019

VIP Member
A good under eye concealer, anyone? I just need a touch for dark circles. Currently using Maybelline Age Rewind but is a bit cracky/cakey under the eye?
Estée Lauder double wear is really good and sets well under eye. The nars radiant creamy concealer is also good but if you have fine lines sometimes i think it can make them look worse as it’s super creamy