Madeleine Olivia #3 Complaining about commoners while gazing at myself in my Georgian Period Home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the main reason they have failed is they were marketed badly and overpriced. Aimed at hipsters who live in town centres who might easily be able to take containers to the shops with them, when they should have been aimed at working families, given reusable bags and the products a bit cheaper. My local M&S have a section but nobody uses it because it is considerably more expensive for the same items they sell in bags and packets on the shelves. Not many people will pay more for a more inconvenient way of shopping. We have a local health food shop in town and they overcharge for the products and charge you for bags to put the food into, obviously you can take your own containers but for me shopping on my way home from work, I'm not likely to bring bags or tubs into town with me.
Not to mention the cost of living rising, which means people will usually go for the cheaper option out of necessity. I love the zero waste shop near me but unfortunately it's opening hours are while I'm at work and I'll usually do my food shop on an evening or on my way home from work.

Reactions: 8
The weird obsession with buying and decanting food into containers is everywhere. It's capitalism and consumerism on steroids, excessive consumption for the sake of it. Food comes in containers and doesn't usually need decanting into another more aesthetically pleasing container, especially not if you are storing it in a cupboard! In the 80s my mum used to shop in a place called weigh and save, it sold lots of things that were stored in large bins such as barley, lentils, flour, muesli and dried peas and beans. You weighed out what you wanted into a paper bag, brought them home and decanted them, usually into an old ice cream tub or coffee jar or even a few specially bought storage jars. This is understandable as you can't easily store food in paper bags but the current obsession is just over the top.
I decant my flours and pasta and rice as I’vehad flour mites before. I also find it easier when I’m baking as I’m cak-handed scooping out of the paper bags.

Reactions: 10
I decant my flours and pasta and rice as I’vehad flour mites before. I also find it easier when I’m baking as I’m cak-handed scooping out of the paper bags.
Me too. I love that you say cak-handed. I do too, and people look at me weird like they’ve never heard that phrase before!

Reactions: 7
I decant flour, rice, and sugar because they come in paper and/or non resealable bags - but I decant them into a random assortment of reused and second hand jars (which I don't label because I have eyeballs and also know what rice looks like)

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I decant flour, rice, and sugar because they come in paper and/or non resealable bags - but I decant them into a random assortment of reused and second hand jars (which I don't label because I have eyeballs and also know what rice looks like)
I guess you don't use multiple different flours or other similar looking ingredients then? Labelling makes sense when you realise some people use different ingredients... It's easy to confuse plain flour with rice or corn flour!

Reactions: 9
I decant & label 😬 But I have quite a few flours and mixes that I use jars for. I really love the uniformity and access jars provide, but we’ve been slowly collecting over the years and I use a lot of second hand jars too. We mix a lot of nuts & seeds and cocoa and that all gets labeled. My husband travels a lot for work and doesn’t love cooking so the labels help him a lot too. I also keep a lot of foods in their original packaging too. I grew up in Midwest America where we kept flour and sugar in the freezer and / or jars because of critters (I also grew up on a farm so that might be it too) and I would bake a lot and get tired of the bags falling apart.

I do think it’s gone way OTT though for some things. Some of the American YouTubers are insane about it and buy all new everything for a *NEW* ExTrEmE pantry makeover.

Reactions: 9
I decant some things too like flour. and lentils or quinoa as those little buggers fly everywhere if I keep them in the bag!

Reactions: 5
I guess you don't use multiple different flours or other similar looking ingredients then? Labelling makes sense when you realise some people use different ingredients... It's easy to confuse plain flour with rice or corn flour!
i have tubs which I got to maximise space in my weird size “pantry” (promoted a cupboard!) and I have a label maker….. I really enjoy my label maker…. I have about 7-8 different flours for baking and need my label maker

I don’t miss having a lung-full of flour or powdered sugar everytime I unfurl a bag.

decanting has a purpose. I agree for aesthetics into too-small jars is daft but I have the large cereal storers for my flours and rice and pasta, and I reuse a variety lf miss matched jars (dowes Egbert ones are grand!) for quinoa, couscous, seeds, nuts, B12 yeast, all sorts. I find it keeps things fresher once their open -especially lentils and pulses and also safe from the aforementioned flour mites

Decanting when it makes sense to do so is fine but decanting for the sake of aesthetics is a bit too much. I decant flour, rice, pasta and pulses because the packaging they come in means I have to because otherwise they get everywhere but when you decant everything and need to have double the cupboard space to house it all, including the half empty packets in Maddie's case is just too much

Reactions: 11
It’s depressing that so many bulk shops are having to close - if only influencers like Madeleine properly championed them, not used them for virtue signalling / token efforts for content

I've got one near me and I did try to shop there whenever I could, then my grocery bill went through the roof so it was just financially unsustainable for me. Everything had such a huge mark up. Didn't help that the owners kept begging for freebies via gofundme and had 'volunteers' delivering people's shopping through lockdown. No business sense at all and completely unethical. Anyway, Maddie is the sort of person who can afford to shop at these places and it's a shame she doesn't.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I think the main reason they have failed is they were marketed badly and overpriced. Aimed at hipsters who live in town centres who might easily be able to take containers to the shops with them, when they should have been aimed at working families, given reusable bags and the products a bit cheaper. My local M&S have a section but nobody uses it because it is considerably more expensive for the same items they sell in bags and packets on the shelves. Not many people will pay more for a more inconvenient way of shopping. We have a local health food shop in town and they overcharge for the products and charge you for bags to put the food into, obviously you can take your own containers but for me shopping on my way home from work, I'm not likely to bring bags or tubs into town with me.
I've found as well that they open in inconvenient locations. The one closest to me has been going for 20 years but I can't get to it half the time cause I live outside the city and it doesn't have parking. One opened closer to me, but again- nowhere to park so I can't get to it!

Reactions: 4
On the new video when Maddie got in the shower she was wearing nail polish..... then she got out and it had magically disappeared. Also, Alex's t shirt colour changes between when she's upstairs doing her skincare to when she goes downstairs to make a second breakfast (or not, as it's not the same day).... then when she's back in the kitchen 'later' her nail polish is back again, but she's made the effort to put the same jumper on so it looks like it's the same day.

Definitely filmed over several days, which is fine, but I hate it when people pretend! Otherwise I quite liked that video.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Another video with her utter twoddle of hypocrisy! Think she is all over the place as she promotes so many different products and brands she has lost her identity! God! She would promote a fart in a jar if they paid her.
Then rattling on about minimalism whilst her dresser is in view with random plates and jars and baskets.
Wonder if any jars have farts in it? 🤔

Screenshot_2022-03-31-18-24-51-51_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

Aww let's all feel sorry for poor little Maddie... Standing outside of her large house feeling all sorry for herself because her renovation plans aren't going as she had planned... Whilst normal people are going to struggle to pay their energy bills, or fill their tanks to get to work from now on.

• Sick
Reactions: 17
View attachment 1162950
Aww let's all feel sorry for poor little Maddie... Standing outside of her large house feeling all sorry for herself because her renovation plans aren't going as she had planned... Whilst normal people are going to struggle to pay their energy bills, or fill their tanks to get to work from now on.
What’s happening?

Reactions: 1
They basically want to change everything about that house. The video starts with Maddie talking about some work that needs doing that they didn't know about and the quote being really expensive.... then in a few minutes she's talking about major changes in every single room, so clearly money isn't actually an issue.

I think my favourite part was that instead of replastering the bathroom and just fixing the leak in the shower they're ripping the whole thing out and putting in brand new everything.

She talks about needing to sort out one of the rooms with another bed because of how many people are staying at Christmas (???.... is this really how people are choosing to model their houses!? I have no room for anyone to stay at Christmas or any other time and that's fine because my house isn't a hotel). Anyway then she talks about knocking through the wall between two of the rooms and how she doesn't care about it being a 3 bed. So which one is it!?

I stopped watching before the end because of how ridiculous it all is. It feels like rich, out of touch people trying to spend as much money as possible as quickly as possible without thinking about what they even want. The timing of the video was tone deaf considering the cost of living crisis in the UK and the energy prices increase hitting us all tomorrow. Meanwhile Maddie wants a chandelier in her dressing room (yes really).

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
With all the changes she wants to make to the house I don’t really understand why they moved there in the first place.
Ripping the bathroom out when they could just do some repairs/paint is also kind of ridiculous. Not everything has to be done straight away, personally I think it’s best to live in the house first and figure out what you want/need because things are likely to change as you get use to the reality of being in the house vs what you think it’ll be like.
I also think it’s funny how she always says what she wants, does bf actually get a say in anything to do with the house?

Reactions: 11
It's also so repetitive - she's shown us the bathroom like three times now? The "leaking" can't be that serious or they would have done something about it by now.

I do find it funny that she's had a bathtub just like around her house for months now lol.

Also WOW the house is a mess. She needs to stop blabbing on about renovation after renovation and just put her crap away. She'll be happier with her space if she just puts some time into getting it into a usable state.

Last edited:
They basically want to change everything about that house. The video starts with Maddie talking about some work that needs doing that they didn't know about and the quote being really expensive.... then in a few minutes she's talking about major changes in every single room, so clearly money isn't actually an issue.

I think my favourite part was that instead of replastering the bathroom and just fixing the leak in the shower they're ripping the whole thing out and putting in brand new everything.

She talks about needing to sort out one of the rooms with another bed because of how many people are staying at Christmas (???.... is this really how people are choosing to model their houses!? I have no room for anyone to stay at Christmas or any other time and that's fine because my house isn't a hotel). Anyway then she talks about knocking through the wall between two of the rooms and how she doesn't care about it being a 3 bed. So which one is it!?

I stopped watching before the end because of how ridiculous it all is. It feels like rich, out of touch people trying to spend as much money as possible as quickly as possible without thinking about what they even want. The timing of the video was tone deaf considering the cost of living crisis in the UK and the energy prices increase hitting us all tomorrow. Meanwhile Maddie wants a chandelier in her dressing room (yes really).
Let me add to this. Wants a new patio so building that after ripping out trees and plants. Sceptic tank pipes damaged, but found out they need to rip full thing out and get new tank which is going to cost an arm and a leg. That is going to be placed other side of the garden. Needs to fix front too as its letting in water and leaves blocking the pipes. She has to delay getting the back of house done with facias damage caused by the oh so precious wisteria (no heard her gush about them for ages. She might rip them out and say they were rotting or something. Any bullsh*t excuse). Going to speak to her bro in law about value of her house if she knocks 2 rooms into one making 3 bedrooms. Then worrying if she had 2 kids (she not having more than 2) where would guests stay? Then plays scenario they can stay in the office space. Wants to decorate her bedroom. Inserts sample of wallpaper. She and Alex can decorate all the rooms. She has the bathroom furniture (named company couple of times, so I suspect they gifted it) . Going to call her friend if she still wants a couple of skanky bedside table. And Roxy tried to make a run for it.(dont blame her)!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.