Madeleine Olivia #3 Complaining about commoners while gazing at myself in my Georgian Period Home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Welcome to thread number three!

Title is thanks to @Tom_Nook and was nominated by @grumpy_curry 🥂

Madeleine continues to undermine her supposed sustainable values by doing things like buying plastic containers to organise her over-filled kitchen drawers and cupboards.

Reactions: 9
I've just watched her kitchen declutter video and I'm glad to know why she justifies buying so much food. :rolleyes: If you're claiming to be a recipe developer and you're using sustainability as your USP, then I would strongly consider developing a recipe where niche ingredients can be used multiple times. Instead, she's got a pantry with too much-unused food that will eventually go to waste.

Reactions: 13
I watched madeleine since 2018/2019, and iv been pretty disappointed for a long time with her videos. Iv stopped watching now. Personally, I don't think having a strict vegan diet helps with mental health/health in general, total obsession and planning with food. Also, why buy a house you claim to "love" and then completely change it. Clearly she didnt like it that much. This smacks of poor planning and judgement to me. Just because you have loads of money doesn't mean you are good with money.
I also distinctly remember her saying in one of her videos pre-georgian period home move that they would wait 6 months before renovating again. That went out of the bloody window.
I do feel for Alex in a way as I think he would have happily left the house the way it was. Seems like stress for stresses sake, maybe to make her feel like she's actually doing some work for a change.

Alongside this, what if her YouTube videos dry up? Regardless of her parents financial situation she'd have to find a pretty well paying job/alternative to keep up with her life style/mortgage repayments.

Reactions: 11
She's taken on way more than she should have with that house. It's so excessive for two people. I think a big part of why she started to renovate so quickly was because she needed content.

Reactions: 10
I've just watched her kitchen declutter video and I'm glad to know why she justifies buying so much food. :rolleyes: If you're claiming to be a recipe developer and you're using sustainability as your USP, then I would strongly consider developing a recipe where niche ingredients can be used multiple times. Instead, she's got a pantry with too much-unused food that will eventually go to waste.
she could have found a niche with low waste vegan-friendly cooking and showed ways to use all up ingredients to avoid waste. but instead she buys (or is given) lots of ingredients that she uses ones (for an ad) and never again. it's wasteful and goes against everythjing she used to say she believed in!

I don't believe they clean their house either. they definitely have a cleaner!!!

Reactions: 6
I watched madeleine since 2018/2019, and iv been pretty disappointed for a long time with her videos. Iv stopped watching now. Personally, I don't think having a strict vegan diet helps with mental health/health in general, total obsession and planning with food. Also, why buy a house you claim to "love" and then completely change it. Clearly she didnt like it that much. This smacks of poor planning and judgement to me. Just because you have loads of money doesn't mean you are good with money.
I also distinctly remember her saying in one of her videos pre-georgian period home move that they would wait 6 months before renovating again. That went out of the bloody window.
I do feel for Alex in a way as I think he would have happily left the house the way it was. Seems like stress for stresses sake, maybe to make her feel like she's actually doing some work for a change.

Alongside this, what if her YouTube videos dry up? Regardless of her parents financial situation she'd have to find a pretty well paying job/alternative to keep up with her life style/mortgage repayments.
I would disagree on your vegan comment. She seems to eat pretty balanced as opposed to the culty Raw till Four era. There is criticism to be made of plant-based capitalism and plastic waste, but that's not a "vegan diet" issue by default.

I do think her video content has changed dramatically in terms of minimalism since buying the houses, but I think she could do well, turning her channel into being more "goodlife" orientated now they have all that garden space, growing vegetables etc like how Sustainably Vegan did during the lockdown's. That type of content is beautiful and fitting with the low waste ethos.

I think we may have just outgrown her channel, she's moved onto new things with increased capital, and there are lots of other youtubers who do simple vegan recipes and minimalism now.

Reactions: 15
I would disagree on your vegan comment. She seems to eat pretty balanced as opposed to the culty Raw till Four era. There is criticism to be made of plant-based capitalism and plastic waste, but that's not a "vegan diet" issue by default.

I do think her video content has changed dramatically in terms of minimalism since buying the houses, but I think she could do well, turning her channel into being more "goodlife" orientated now they have all that garden space, growing vegetables etc like how Sustainably Vegan did during the lockdown's. That type of content is beautiful and fitting with the low waste ethos.

I think we may have just outgrown her channel, she's moved onto new things with increased capital, and there are lots of other youtubers who do simple vegan recipes and minimalism now.

it's not about outgrowing her contnet though. she doesn't hold the same values or ethics as she used to but she pretends she does. it's frustrating to see someone who built their success on talking about minimalism get paid a lot of money to promote consumerism. I wish she'd give up the minimalism, zero waste, vegan angle. instead she insists she still has these values and that everyone is a hater (much like Jessica Rose Williams!)

Reactions: 12
it's not about outgrowing her contnet though. she doesn't hold the same values or ethics as she used to but she pretends she does. it's frustrating to see someone who built their success on talking about minimalism get paid a lot of money to promote consumerism. I wish she'd give up the minimalism, zero waste, vegan angle. instead she insists she still has these values and that everyone is a hater (much like Jessica Rose Williams!)
Apologies, I don't really keep up with her content so thought she had ditched the "minimalist" angle, as the content doesn't really reflect that anymore.

Reactions: 1
There was a super manic, uneasy vibe to that kitchen video.

There's something unsavoury and a bit controlling about needing to put all food products into individual labelled kilner jars?! Lol at Alex being sent to the shops to buy MORE jars and then buying the wrong ones... Maddie your problem isn't that you don't have enough jars, it's that you have a gross amount of uneaten food. (Notice the bananas had gone completely black in her fruit bowl)

All that weight on a MDF shelf, of course it's gonna bow, they're not designed to have 30 massive glass jars on them!

Can she see how hypocritical she is? They have more food then any human could possibly eat, yet she's being paid to tell people to eat their cauliflower leaves to prevent food waste. Bet at least half that stuff is going to expire before it's thrown away.

Who remembers when she used to tell her viewers to make meals with food in the cupboard before buying new stuff? Seems that's gone to sh*t!

Reactions: 14
she's almost certainly struggling with food right now. always thinking about food, having food rules (everything needs to be in glass jars, food going off but buying more, constantly cooking/creating new recipes, etc.) that sort of behaviour is typical of disordered eating. It must be difficult because she used to be quite skinny (and had different disordered eating habits then!) and now she's put on quite a bit of weight and is obviously unhappy about it.

it's not hte first time she's been quite manic in a video before. her mood is all over the place.

Reactions: 11
she's almost certainly struggling with food right now. always thinking about food, having food rules (everything needs to be in glass jars, food going off but buying more, constantly cooking/creating new recipes, etc.) that sort of behaviour is typical of disordered eating. It must be difficult because she used to be quite skinny (and had different disordered eating habits then!) and now she's put on quite a bit of weight and is obviously unhappy about it.

it's not hte first time she's been quite manic in a video before. her mood is all over the place.
I think you're right. Needing to 'own' and hoard all the food, regardless of whether it will be eaten. Needing to feel in control of the food by opening every packet and pouring it into jars to be certain she won't 'run out'.

She did seem to embrace the body positivity thing a while back, but I think if she was honest with herself, she loved being slimmer and seemed happier back then. I think being slim was a big part of her identity and now her body has changed she doesn't really know who she is anymore?

Reactions: 7
She did seem to embrace the body positivity thing a while back, but I think if she was honest with herself, she loved being slimmer and seemed happier back then. I think being slim was a big part of her identity and now her body has changed she doesn't really know who she is anymore?
I think she thought she'd put on a bit of weight but would lose it quickly again so the whole body positivity thing was something she could market and grow her audience with. She never really got over her ED, obviously. it's very obvious she dislikes her heavier body and would prefer to be a skinny girl that other people aspire to be. It's quite sad.

Reactions: 5
Lol
Screenshot_20220314-221522~2.png
Screenshot_20220314-221536~2.png

But yes the fact that she is buying new plastic "storage solutions" is so aggravating. Honestly maybe she should give her own book a read for a reminder.

Reactions: 15
I think one of the things that really annoys me (apart from her privileged ignorance) is the way she tries to play down her previous stance on minimalism and environmental issues but she is still very much marketing herself to companies and brands as a 'minimalist influencer'. She's still shilling her (very poorly written) book about minimalism. She's just a very posh unoriginal girl who spends most of her days searching Pinterest for content she can market as her own work.

I do think she has some quite disordered behaviours around food, and all I can say about that is I hope she is getting appropriate help with them - given the fact she has repeatedly bragged that she can afford to pay for therapy.

Reactions: 14
I think one of the things that really annoys me (apart from her privileged ignorance) is the way she tries to play down her previous stance on minimalism and environmental issues but she is still very much marketing herself to companies and brands as a 'minimalist influencer'.
I've noticed this is what most sustainable influencers do. Jessica Rose Williams does it too. They talk about sustainability, low waste, veganism, minimalism, etc. etc. and then when they do something that goes against the advice they give their followers on their social media, blog, and book! they moan about being criticised for "not being perfect".

they want to have all the money and fame without being held accountable when they don't uphold the values and ethics they decided to tell their audience they have! it's infuriating as a follower. they want to make money from giving people advice on minimalism, zero waste, veganism without being held accountable when they contradict those values. it's absurd to me.

But yes the fact that she is buying new plastic "storage solutions" is so aggravating.
this is the worst part about it all. it's not the food bank issue, which maddie has conveniently focused on and ignored the actual point that is the absolute waste of buying in plastic and decanting into jars (I don't actually think food banks want protein powders or posh ingredients, they want everyday essentials and I'm not sure they can take open packets eitehr)

Reactions: 10
It seems convenient doesn't it that all of a sudden she was taking food to food banks. She is extremely privileged and if she does take food to food banks that's great. I'm sure those who can't afford bread are relishing in those spare Chia seeds.
To be honest I'm sure she's a nice person and doesn't go out and cause harm to others, and if she reads this then she needs to take it less personally, being in the public eye will receive criticism.
However, her lack of perspective, and constant buying of crap, and tone to Alex particularly bothers me. She's a control freak who is constantly battling between having this unattainable lifestyle and having good mental health. Let it go. Be honest. It's only YouTube.

She fell into the trap of thinking she had found ‘The Solution’ to achieving a slim figure, first with the insane raw til 4 cult then the WSLF (whole starch low fat) then a regular vegan diet (ie no restrictions other than no animal products or by-products). Now the wheels have come off and she has gained a little I think she is suffering a sort of cognitive dissonance - she talked a lot about body positivity /acceptance but didn’t walk the walk - it’s a lot easier to spout nonsense about accepting yourself when you are in a smaller body.

And now she can’t address it without acknowledging how deeply her appearance is intertwined with her rise to social media fame and therefore her revenue streams. She can talk about going to the gym to build strength / improve health until the cows come home, the reality is I think she’d be over the moon to get back to a size 8 and until she addresses that she will be mentally stuck in the same miserable place. Ironically these are the conversations she should be having with her audience but there’s too much at stake financially now.

Wait. So she wont buy coconut milk incase they use monkeys to pick them. But will eat a burger cooked on the same grill as a meat one.
Make it make sense

Reactions: 6

I agree, I totally support veganism for its benefits to animals and anti-cruelty stance which is very noble to me. Is it healthy? That's questionable. And it seems like there's a
She fell into the trap of thinking she had found ‘The Solution’ to achieving a slim figure, first with the insane raw til 4 cult then the WSLF (whole starch low fat) then a regular vegan diet (ie no restrictions other than no animal products or by-products). Now the wheels have come off and she has gained a little I think she is suffering a sort of cognitive dissonance - she talked a lot about body positivity /acceptance but didn’t walk the walk - it’s a lot easier to spout nonsense about accepting yourself when you are in a smaller body.

And now she can’t address it without acknowledging how deeply her appearance is intertwined with her rise to social media fame and therefore her revenue streams. She can talk about going to the gym to build strength / improve health until the cows come home, the reality is I think she’d be over the moon to get back to a size 8 and until she addresses that she will be mentally stuck in the same miserable place. Ironically these are the conversations she should be having with her audience but there’s too much at stake financially now.
I agree, and I think if she was just honest about that then she would become a lot more appealing. "I would like to be this size again because its what I prefer" no shame in that. I think she's also very easily influenced and affected by outside events, and the constant rhetoric of the modern world she (in fact anyone) can't live up to, because it's not real.
She's deeply insecure

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.