Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just get a good chuckle out of Madeleine pretending to be interested in gardening when it's clear she absolutely bloody hates it 😆. She'll summon up a shred of enthusiasm if there's money involved, but otherwise it's "too untidy and messy". She hates it because she can't control what goes on in the garden like she can with indoors stuff and the people around her. Not being in control is hugely scary for her and is probably one of the root causes for many of her anxieties. It's a shame because spending more time in the garden might actually help her. Spending time in a garden can really shift your perception of what 'perfect' actually is. Plants will do what they want - you can lavish them with care and they will still die just to spite you, get eaten by bugs, or even reward you with lovely food and flowers.
Love how you described gardening, so true and so beautifully articulated.

It's clear that Maddie isn't keen on gardening but loves to come across as someone who likes gardening, if that makes sense. I don't even think she particularly enjoys cooking that much. Her and Alex seem to order out a lot for two people who work from home and have a youtube channel that largely revolves around food.

Reactions: 9
Love how you described gardening, so true and so beautifully articulated.

It's clear that Maddie isn't keen on gardening but loves to come across as someone who likes gardening, if that makes sense. I don't even think she particularly enjoys cooking that much. Her and Alex seem to order out a lot for two people who work from home and have a youtube channel that largely revolves around food.
She's definitely trying to be someone she's not. It all started when the moved into the new house.

Reactions: 6
Honestly I shouldn't have expected anything less. People become less liberal as they age and as their wealth increases. From what I gather some of her family are Tories with ties to the property development, rental and holiday home industries. Capitalism at its finest. That's not to say that Maddie is like that but I'd be interested to hear her opinions on capitalism these days. Seeing as influencers are literally the 21st century's weapon to get otherwise conscientious millennials to make frivolous and unnecessary purchases.

Reactions: 12
Veganism and minimalism was probably her form of teenage rebellion. Now she has aged somewhat, her genes come in to action. She'll be an organic chicken eating Tory in no time.

Reactions: 9
Veganism and minimalism was probably her form of teenage rebellion. Now she has aged somewhat, her genes come in to action. She'll be an organic chicken eating Tory in no time.
Oh for sure. It'll all start when she's gets some hens and they'll eat the eggs. Then vegan ism will become a distant memory

Reactions: 7
Veganism and minimalism was probably her form of teenage rebellion.
And she needed a USP for her channel. Her entire personally was centered around vegan cooking/ being sustainable and buying less. She was lucky because 5 years ago, these things were very 'on trend and fresh' and the market wasn't as oversaturated as today.

I'm not sure what her USP is now... Middle class inspo/ materialism/ high end renovation. I can't imagine anyone from the early days still enjoys her content.

Reactions: 10
Oh the hens thing seems very likely
I dunno, going on her uninspiring attitude towards gardening, not sure if she'd be keen on the hard work and dirt required with hens! But nothing would surprise me now...

Reactions: 4
I dunno, going on her uninspiring attitude towards gardening, not sure if she'd be keen on the hard work and dirt required with hens! But nothing would surprise me now...
She'll probably hire a peasant from the local village for gardening and chicken-keeping duties. This will free up her time to wander round in a greige linen sack looking all pensive and Jane Austen-y to flog more washing machines. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
She will definitely re home some hens (NGL I would love to)
I’d love to too but battery hens that need TLC which I can’t imagine her doing. She doesn’t seem very caring towards others to me - though granted we probably never see that side of her.

Reactions: 4
She'll probably hire a peasant from the local village for gardening and chicken-keeping duties. This will free up her time to wander round in a greige linen sack looking all pensive and Jane Austen-y to flog more washing machines. 🤣
HAHAHA 😂😂

Screenshot_20211119_101927.jpg

She's really trying to cling on to the whole eco thing isn't she. Pretty sure most adults know you can recycle tetrapak maddie.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I still hate the 'check locally' thing. My LA used to accept them and now can't, so people end up contaminating the rest of the recycling with them.
Really? Ours gets collected with our recycling every week. I assumed everyone else did too, but perhaps not!

Reactions: 2
I only found out recently I can’t recycle tetrapak cartons where I live, I always thought I could. So I have been contaminating the recycling 😢😔

This website is useful for checking: https://www.recycleopedia.com/

I find posts like Maddie’s a bit misleading because there’s a difference between what can technically be recycled in your local authority and what you can put in your recycling bin. It’s carefully worded for a reason.

Also, "recycling" is relative. Here, we collect them with the plastics, but they're separated at the waste processing plants, the paper fibres are removed, and then the plastic/aluminium combo used in cement processing. At least here. I don't know how green that truly is.

Reactions: 3
HAHAHA 😂😂

View attachment 875447
She's really trying to cling on to the whole eco thing isn't she. Pretty sure most adults know you can recycle tetrapak maddie.
Actually Tetrapak is one of the worse things to try and recycle. A lot of places and councils don't have the facility. Its only recently been something my council in West London has started offering

I'm conflicted as to how eco-friendly tetrapak actually is. Fair enough, it's less plastic and quite light to transport, but the end of life side isn't great, it's often going to end up in landfill, or as we've said, contaminating other recyclables. It probably shouldn't be sold in areas where you can't dispose of it correctly, but that sounds like a supply chain/logistics nightmare.

I quite like Shelbi's videos for this in-depth stuff. Maddie wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So this has prompted me to check tetrapaks own recycling site: http://www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/

The only place is my borough that takes them is the local tip. Which you need a car to get to. Who is going to wash and set aside their tetrapaks and then drop them off in bundles at the tip?? And my borough would be counted in that 90%. So let’s be honest. The vast majority of tetrapaks will either go into recycling bins and contaminate it - due to misleading campaigns and wording on the packaging - or go to landfill. But Maddie’s getting paid - well done hun, the planet thanks you once again 👍🤑

It needs to be more like Brita, where there was enough pressure for them to be responsible for their waste that they set up collection points in shops like Argos and Sainsbury’s where you can drop off your used brita filters and they are sent back in bulk for recycling.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.