Madeleine Olivia #2 Sustainability is so 2018, Buy my affiliates if you want to be green!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But then she’d have to admit the book/publishing deal was a fad which she isn’t grown enough to do.

Reactions: 5
Just got round to watching the unpacking kitchen stuff video.

I actually kinda felt sorry for her, she was literally swimming in so many bowls, cups, paintings, prints, jars, glasses, books, stoneware(!) and she just seemed so...unhappy?
I got major hoarder vibes from her. The way she was explaining the significance/cost/origin of every item in great detail.

But most all, why put the microwave in the blommin cupboard! 🙄 It won't look so aesthetically pleasing when it explodes 🤦

Reactions: 10
What’s with the depressing AF music at the beginning of the video??

also she clearly HATES gardening. Like hates it. It could not be more obvious and yet she’s seemingly forcing herself to do it?? And she wonders why people think she’s inauthentic

Reactions: 9
Another sneaky as in the middle of that video for that seed paper calendar. I think her content is suffering because she has to tailor it to the add instead of just making the content she wanted to. Like she could have made more gardening content before but it feels like she only does it when there's an ad. I guess I don't want to ask her to work for free and maybe that's how she sees non-sponsored content creation but also... It's like literally every video/post.

What’s with the depressing AF music at the beginning of the video??

also she clearly HATES gardening. Like hates it. It could not be more obvious and yet she’s seemingly forcing herself to do it?? And she wonders why people think she’s inauthentic
Nothing quite says 'I'm not into gardening' like starting in mid November wearing a brand new puffy sleeved shirt 🤣

Pound to a penny that Peleton bike will be covered in dust in 6 months!

• Haha
Why have I just watched a depressing montage of someone in an oversized dress making porridge to some sad music? Fast forwarded to see her gardening in a floaty blouse with her hair all over. No. Fast forwarded to the end to see a Peloton. No thanks.

I love how influencers all have to get the Peloton bike, none of them seem to just get the subscription services and use a cheaper bike (which is an option). Getting a second hand exercise bike would have been a more sustainable way of using the membership.

Reactions: 14
I thought it was a solid video for the first 16 minutes. I loved the music and vibe of the beginning. It reminded me of Jane Austen and Fairyland Cottage. I also think the plantable calendar fits perfectly with her brand, so I don't get the criticism there. Also, some of you must be incredible gardeners to find fault with a fairly young person learning how to garden. I think she could have cut it off after around the 16 minute mark though.

Another sneaky as in the middle of that video for that seed paper calendar. I think her content is suffering because she has to tailor it to the add instead of just making the content she wanted to. Like she could have made more gardening content before but it feels like she only does it when there's an ad. I guess I don't want to ask her to work for free and maybe that's how she sees non-sponsored content creation but also... It's like literally every video/post.
It wasn't really sneaky She marked it "AD".

I came to this thread as a slightly disillusioned fan, and I know there are some people who want to discuss that, but are there posters who just just like to be nasty?

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 4
My understanding of the ASA guidance is that if an entire video is sponsored then it needs to have AD in the title or thumbnail, which this video doesn't. But perhaps I'm mistaken.

Screenshot_20211114-223026_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-223753_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-223729_Chrome.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My understanding of the ASA guidance is that if an entire video is sponsored then it needs to have AD in the title or thumbnail, which this video doesn't. But perhaps I'm mistaken.

View attachment 866402
View attachment 866404
View attachment 866405
If she has a 37 minute video, then what are the chances the entire video is considered sponsored? Is there some AD rule about content? (I don't know) If you create a 37 minute video and you talk about a product for less that 30% do you have to declare the video an AD at the outset, or is it fine to just flag the AD portion? I'm guessing there is a rule and, give how long her video is, that she's following it.

V OT but has anyone looked at the account for the Georgian house her photographer is renovating? They don’t post that often but they’re undertaking a *proper* renovation, slowly and sustainably from what I can tell. The house will be beautiful when they finish.

Reactions: 4
If she has a 37 minute video, then what are the chances the entire video is considered sponsored? Is there some AD rule about content? (I don't know) If you create a 37 minute video and you talk about a product for less that 30% do you have to declare the video an AD at the outset, or is it fine to just flag the AD portion? I'm guessing there is a rule and, give how long her video is, that she's following it.
It’s nice to give her the benefit of the doubt. But Madeleine has broken ASA guidelines before, so I get others being wary of her approach to declarations!

I thought it was a solid video for the first 16 minutes. I loved the music and vibe of the beginning. It reminded me of Jane Austen and Fairyland Cottage. I also think the plantable calendar fits perfectly with her brand, so I don't get the criticism there. Also, some of you must be incredible gardeners to find fault with a fairly young person learning how to garden. I think she could have cut it off after around the 16 minute mark though.
When they bought the house she went on about how much she loved gardening. Yet she did none over the spring/summer. That’s what is amusing people.

Her description states that the video is sponsored. Often influencers will say that a portion of the video is sponsored, or it contains a sponsored segment, but the text says 'this video is kindly sponsored by Primoza' which I understand to mean that the entire video is sponsored. Clearly I'm not an influencer and I'd hope that they have a better grasp of what the rules are, but as others have mentioned there have been previous undisclosed ADs.

Reactions: 6

I came to this thread as a slightly disillusioned fan, and I know there are some people who want to discuss that, but are there posters who just just like to be nasty?
I really don't think I was being nasty about that? I honestly just feel her content has suffered as a result of all the ads she does and that not all of the ads are properly disclosed as others have said. I thought it had to state ad in the title so perhaps I'm misinformed however I do find it kinda sneaky (whether legitimately allowed or not) when YouTubers put their ads in the middle with no prior warning. Sure the calendar is a better match for her brand but there have been countless other bits of questionable spon-con and I'm just disappointed by it.

Reactions: 13
I live in Cornwall and have seen her around so many times (we live in the same area and Cornwall isn't huge, so you are bound to meet people again and again). I first came across her content randomly and it was one of her food shops on a budget. I realised straight away that she was shopping at my local Tesco, and found her funny and somewhat relatable. I enjoyed her content for a little while and then somehow realised that more and more things were rubbing me the wrong way and quickly unsubscribed. There is something profoundly sad (or at least I perceive it that way) about her content in the new house. To me, it almost feels like she had this expectation that everyone would be on board with her new lifestyle (which after reading through this thread I realised it's just her parents' lifestyle and she is sorta going back to her privileged roots), and this is clearly not happening, as many people have said before me, the majority of her brand is about sustainability, veganism and shopping vegan, sustainable food on a budget. You can't fault people for not liking your "new" persona if it's the "old" one they subscribed to.

I really don't get the vibe of a "fairly young person learning how to garden". If learning how to garden was really her intention, I think we would have seen more videos on this topic, and maybe some genuine "I'm learning and all of this is quite new to me so I'm not sure I will like it in the end?". But of course, we get loads of "I love gardening" at the beginning and then she inserts it only when an #AD is required. Plus, let's not forget the incredible MiracleGrow ad… That was reaaaaaaally sustainable eh?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
The “slightly disillusioned fans” turning up in influencers threads to gently play devils advocate is always amusing and sooo transparent. Happens all the time. You’d think influencers / their employees / friends / fans would learn by now it does not end well. At best it further exposes the influencer because legitimate criticisms are articulated and at worst… well. Mother of Daughters, say no more.

If you think somethings nasty, scroll on by or hit the ignore button 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
When I started here I called someone else out for fat-shaming because in my eyes that crossed a line. That's not how tattle works tho and my comment was reported for tone policing. I accept that (although I don't necessarily like it) and now I personally don't engage with comments that I feel are nasty or mean because it's not my place to be policing others opinions here. That's the rule of the forum but it can be tricky to navigate these rules as a new member because it's not always obvious what that means even if you've read the rules.

I don't personally want to make anyone miserable or say anything nasty but when you're unable to hold a content creator accountable on their own platforms because they delete comments and get defensive it feels frustrating. I'm honestly just disappointed. I've finally unfollowed Maddie because it became clear that I am unable to enjoy her content like I used to. And discussing things here made me realise that I'm not just on my own with these feelings.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Also yeah, any comment in regards to her appearance is just bad human behaviour, and I ignore it. Comments that try to call her out on potential business malpractices? 100%

Reactions: 8
I think we just need to accept tattle for what it is. It's mostly people calling out creators about their BS, but sometimes it ends up in things like infighting about (inexplicably on another thread) dogshit. I just laugh at that stuff and move on with my day.

I think Maddie's trying to get more into Cottagecore content now, but I don't think that's really suited to who she is. I'd be really interested in tending an indoor herb garden, but I don't think she'll feature it in videos unless it's an ad.

Does anyone have one of those boiling water taps? I look at the ads and I'm always terrified of someone scalding themselves.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.