Madeleine McCann #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The reaction from who? They've been vilified for 15 years and they WERE investigated by social services
Feeding their bellies was more important than their children. How anyone can defend that is beyond me.
SEVEN adults thought it was acceptable to leave their children alone.
Poor Madeleine paid the price.

She means they went into the apartments and saw and listened. She isn't implying they were listening from the tapas bar - which was not 'far away'. and I very much doubt they lied about the distance as it was pretty obvious to everyone where it was
They said it was comparable to eating in the garden whilst the children were asleep in the house!
They may not have stated the precise distance but to me, and many others, that implied the restaurant was much nearer than it really was. Why did they not state the restaurant was down the road?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yes they did.

Not sure if links are allowed on this thread, so here's a direct quote in case it has to be deleted

Speaking on ABC's Good Morning America, the heart consultant said: "We were dining 50 yards away and we could see the apartment from where we were. It's like we were sat in our back garden, all be it at the end of our garden.
"The kids were sound asleep and they were being checked regularly. We didn't think we needed a babysitter. "We are good parents and what we did felt perfectly reasonable at the time.
"Hindsight is an incredible thing. Clearly we couldn't have predicted what was to happen."
I think you may have misread your own link!

Feeding their bellies was more important than their children. How anyone can defend that is beyond me.
SEVEN adults thought it was acceptable to leave their children alone.
Poor Madeleine paid the price.

They said it was comparable to eating in the garden whilst the children were asleep in the house!
They may not have stated the precise distance but to me, and many others, that implied the restaurant was much nearer than it really was. Why did they not state the restaurant was down the road?
Actually - cupcake's post handily points out the truth about what they said with regard to distances.

Reactions: 2
I haven't read anyone defending their decision to leave the children alone. I think everyone can agree that it was a terrible mistake. but it doesn't lead me to despise them or be convinced that such a lapse in judgement must mean they're killers.

Reactions: 5
I haven't read anyone defending their decision to leave the children alone. I think everyone can agree that it was a terrible mistake. but it doesn't lead me to despise them or be convinced that such a lapse in judgement must mean they're killers.

It doesn't make me think they're killers, but it does make me think they're incredibly selfish and negligent and have had every advantage in being affluent and middle class.

Reactions: 17
It doesn't make me think they're killers, but it does make me think they're incredibly selfish and negligent and have had every advantage in being affluent and middle class.
Do you think privileged people feel grief less keenly than underprivileged? Do you blame Sara Payne for the murder of her daughter? Because she was out playing unsupervised when she was snatched. Do you blame Ben Needham's grandparents? Because they can't have been watching him very carefully if he managed to wander off without them noticing.

Do you think privileged people feel grief less keenly than underprivileged? Do you blame Sara Payne for the murder of her daughter? Because she was out playing unsupervised when she was snatched. Do you blame Ben Needham's grandparents? Because they can't have been watching him very carefully if he managed to wander off without them noticing.

Everyone feels grief differently.

No, I do not blame Sara Payne for the murder of her daughter or Ben Needham's grandparents, because they made an error of judgement ONCE, not on several different occasions. & interesting that you mention Ben Needham; his family have been very vocal about the disproportionate attention and money the McCanns have had thrown at them.

Privilege does not make grief any easier, but it does, in some cases, as here, give you access to the best PR people, lawyers and clergy in the world. & that makes me angry.

Reactions: 25
Everyone feels grief differently.

No, I do not blame Sara Payne for the murder of her daughter or Ben Needham's grandparents, because they made an error of judgement ONCE, not on several different occasions. & interesting that you mention Ben Needham; his family have been very vocal about the disproportionate attention and money the McCanns have had thrown at them.

Privilege does not make grief any easier, but it does, in some cases, as here, give you access to the best PR people, lawyers and clergy in the world. & that makes me angry.
A couple wanting to do everything they can to raise awareness for a missing child- and having the education and resources to do that - seems a weird thing to be angry about.

Reactions: 4
I think you may have misread your own link!

Actually - cupcake's post handily points out the truth about what they said with regard to distances.
How is that?

Gerry said it was 50yrds and they could see the apartment from where they were. He says that numerous times to different media outlets.
The truth was it was most likely 50yrds as the crow flies, but take into account that he's not a crow and needs legs and it's more than double 50yrds, and definitely impossible to see from the tapas bar. The graphics on the link confirm that.

Reactions: 9
How is that?

Gerry said it was 50yrds and they could see the apartment from where they were. He says that numerous times to different media outlets.
The truth was it was most likely 50yrds as the crow flies, but take into account that he's not a crow and needs legs and it's more than double 50yrds, and definitely impossible to see from the tapas bar. The graphics on the link confirm that.
50 yards 'as the crow flies' is still 50 yards. and your own link says it was more like 77 when walking. so not double. and your own link also states that they could see the apartment from the dining table. Irrelevant because clearly they couldn't see the BACK of the apartment but I think it's a huge reach to suggest a deliberate attempt to mislead

Reactions: 1
50 yards 'as the crow flies' is still 50 yards. and your own link says it was more like 77 when walking. so not double. and your own link also states that they could see the apartment from the dining table. Irrelevant because clearly they couldn't see the BACK of the apartment but I think it's a huge reach to suggest a deliberate attempt to mislead
Like being in your back garden imho definitely was misleading however you wish to justify it.

No it isn't not when you take into account the pathways and position of the apartment, the distance doubles.
He lied that the apartment could be seen, lied it was like having dinner in your garden, and lied about the actual walking distance

"The McCanns had to walk about 120 metres to get to the apartment where their children slept. The journey was a familiar one for the McCanns and the other seven friends sitting around the dining table. From the tapas bar, only the very top of the balcony of the McCanns' ground floor apartment 70 metres away across the pool is visible.

A large whitewashed wall and thick bushes obscure the view from the poolside tables. To check on all the sleeping children required a regular tour of the apartments and a meandering detour that almost doubled the distance between the bar and the McCanns' apartment.

It meant one of the party would have to walk from the bar around the pool, and out through the security gate of the Ocean Club, a distance of some 60 metres.

Once out of the complex, they would have turned left on to Rua Dr Francisco Gentil Martins, a public road, and go a further 60 metres up the hill, through a three-foot high gate which cannot be locked, up a flight of steps and then in through rear patio doors, which were not apparently locked.

The apartment is not inside the Mark Warner complex itself but sits on the corner of two roads, quiet at the time Madeleine vanished but now taken up with satellite television trucks.

The front door of the apartment is on the other side of the building from the tapas bar, on Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva. The rear patio doors through which the adults would enter to check on the sleeping children faces on to a walkway, again open to the public.

With two entrances - neither of which can be seen from the restaurant
where the McCanns were dining on 3 May - the apartment is impossible to monitor from the tapas bar."

• Heart
Reactions: 13
A couple wanting to do everything they can to raise awareness for a missing child- and having the education and resources to do that - seems a weird thing to be angry about.

It's the lack of opportunity for others in the same situation that makes me angry.

No it isn't not when you take into account the pathways and position of the apartment, the distance doubles.
He lied that the apartment could be seen, lied it was like having dinner in your garden, and lied about the actual walking distance

"The McCanns had to walk about 120 metres to get to the apartment where their children slept. The journey was a familiar one for the McCanns and the other seven friends sitting around the dining table. From the tapas bar, only the very top of the balcony of the McCanns' ground floor apartment 70 metres away across the pool is visible.

A large whitewashed wall and thick bushes obscure the view from the poolside tables. To check on all the sleeping children required a regular tour of the apartments and a meandering detour that almost doubled the distance between the bar and the McCanns' apartment.

It meant one of the party would have to walk from the bar around the pool, and out through the security gate of the Ocean Club, a distance of some 60 metres.

Once out of the complex, they would have turned left on to Rua Dr Francisco Gentil Martins, a public road, and go a further 60 metres up the hill, through a three-foot high gate which cannot be locked, up a flight of steps and then in through rear patio doors, which were not apparently locked.

The apartment is not inside the Mark Warner complex itself but sits on the corner of two roads, quiet at the time Madeleine vanished but now taken up with satellite television trucks.

The front door of the apartment is on the other side of the building from the tapas bar, on Rua Dr Agostinho da Silva. The rear patio doors through which the adults would enter to check on the sleeping children faces on to a walkway, again open to the public.

With two entrances - neither of which can be seen from the restaurant
where the McCanns were dining on 3 May - the apartment is impossible to monitor from the tapas bar."
Depends where you draw your source from - whatever version you go with it was clearly close

It's the lack of opportunity for others in the same situation that makes me angry.
Sara Payne met with politicians, she addressed party conferences, she changed the law. She wasn't privileged or wealthy. The opportunities are there for all but, yes, others may be more savvy at accessing them. I could never be angry at people for using whatever is at their disposal.

• Angry
Reactions: 8
Wasn't Sarah Payne playing with her brothers so not exactly 'on her own'. Also sorry but there is no way I could sit in a restaurant having a meal knowing I'd left my young kids alone in an apartment never mind a UNLOCKED apartment FFS!

Reactions: 22
Wasn't Sarah Payne playing with her brothers so not exactly 'on her own'. Also sorry but there is no way I could sit in a restaurant having a meal knowing I'd left my young kids alone in an apartment never mind a UNLOCKED apartment FFS!
I think @coconochanel has hit the nail on the head for me. The doors were not locked!!!
While I can sort of (but not really) understand leaving sleeping children and checking frequently, I will never understand that.
I would never leave anything precious in an unlocked room.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think @coconochanel has hit the nail on the head for me. The doors were not locked!!!
While I can sort of (but not really) understand leaving sleeping children and checking frequently, I will never understand that.
I would never leave anything precious in an unlocked room.
Obviously they shouldn't have left the kids alone but it's said millions of times since 2007 and over and over and not sure what value it gives to the discussion repeating it over and over again

Reactions: 10
They're trying to find an official suspect asap as the case is reaching the 15 year mark which coincides with the statute of limitations in Portugal.

• Heart
They're trying to find an official suspect asap as the case is reaching the 15 year mark which coincides with the statute of limitations in Portugal.
Isn’t this why they officially announced Christian B. as an official suspect? That’s exactly what they already did?

That’s exactly what they recently did with that German Christian B.?

Reactions: 1
One of my biggest issues with the McCann's is they never let onto the general public how extremely well-connected they were - living near Gordon Brown's brother and Gerry's time at COMARE, for example, while letting the same public thinking they were relatable enough to need huge amonts of money donated to the Find Madeleine Fund.

I also found the fact that they wasted no time going on a "world tour" extremely bizarre - wouldn't they want to stay close by to where their little girl last was?

There's also the whole thing with how Robert Murat was treated.

I don't think they are peados or murderers but there are details that are not a good look for Kate & Gerry.

Obviously they shouldn't have left the kids alone but it's said millions of times since 2007 and over and over and not sure what value it gives to the discussion repeating it over and over again
People are rightfully upset at the inquality because we know exactly how parents that were not wealthy and well-connected would be treatded in comparison.

Just to correct: it's K&G's very close friend Jill Renwick who lived near Gordon Brown's brother. She was also the one who phoned GMTV right at the start and got the media hysteria going. Renwick's sister had a close friend in CID, too, apparently!

Very handy friend to have!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.