Madeleine McCann #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
this. I’m shocked they’ve given so much away.
They've basically given everything away. I had to do jury service and sat on a couple of trials we had to say if we knew the defendant either personally or knew of him or his family before the trial started ,the judge would then have dismissed anyone that this applied to. There wouldn't be many that could say they didn't know the German with the amount of press coverage this case is getting..

I've just said this.. I have sat on a jury and that's very true everything you've posted

Reactions: 1
Depends on what the Hypothetical “evidence” was.
I’m not familiar with Portuguese laws concerning this either.
Hi, exactly this but there is a huge difference in knowing a defendant and being aware of media coverage on him.

In a high profile International case, it simply wouldn’t be feasible to find a jury that had zero knowledge of it.

if/when it goes to court, they will factor this in. And the jury will be under strict unstruction to base their decision on what is presented in court.

Reactions: 7
who cares? No one is here to explain basic stuff over and over again to the hard of thinking. Take yourself off snooze and read the thread

Assuming this goes to court will we as the public get told how/what happened? This sounds like a really thick question I’m sorry and probably sounds really awful and nosy of me. The press trip over themselves with contradictions it’s be nice to have something laid out bare for once in this case

Reactions: 6
I’ve also sat on a jury twice and it’s true. You are only allowed to go by the evidence provided in court. Someone else who was on the second jury I sat on (a rape case) was dismissed from the case for coming back one day with notes giving their opinion based on things they had searched online.

Quick google indicates there is no trial by jury in Germany
I read that too.

Probably after a verdict is reached. We may not be given all the details though (I don’t think I could handle hearing it anyway tbh).

Reactions: 2
Quick google indicates there is no trial by jury in Germany
I haven’t followed this closely, but if the crime took place in Portugal, I’d imagine it would be up to Portugal to conduct a trial, as it was their jurisdiction. Given that three nationalities are involved, it’s tricky!

Someone else who was on the second jury I sat on (a rape case) was dismissed from the case for coming back one day with notes giving their opinion based on things they had searched online.
That... is a nightmare for all involved

Sorry, but where have you been? Plenty of people criticise them as parents. You only have to go on any comments section of any article or thread about them to see that.
I don't mean this thread. I was reacting to a comment that was reacting to a comment what I mean is we the public criticise them as parents for leaving their kid but the media doesn't seem to.

Yes I know but I'm thinking the defence will play on the fact too many details have been released about him and we don't know what sort of facts they have to put forward .People don't always come clean with their thoughts on a defendant ...

Reactions: 3
Absolutely they don't have to please me but I'm allowed to have an opinion on them. They may very well be victims of a crime and they may well be the criminals. You seem to have a blind loyalty to them. If they hadn't left their kid it wouldn't have happened. Leaving your kid is not a normal thing to do. Let's cut to the chase. They left their kids time and time again and if this hadn't have happened they would have continued to leave them. In my world that is a shit parent.

Thank you for explaining this.

Do we know that's where the( imaginary) trial will be it could be Porto if that's where the crime took place..
They only rarely use juries in Portugal too

I don’t have any loyalty to them. But I don’t recall sarah Palins parents being criticised? She was alone when she was abducted. April jones? Alone. They weren’t left to sleep alone but they were playing without adult supervison. Are they shit parents too? I have never been heard anyone blame them (Quite rightly) why are the McCanns so different?

Yes I know but I'm thinking the defence will play on the fact too many details have been released about him and we don't know what sort of facts they have to put forward .People don't always come clean with their thoughts on a defendant ...
The defence would undoubtedly bring this up. In a U.K. court room it would probably leverage some sort of favourable action or process towards the defendant.

It’s virtually impossible to eliminate all biases in a jury - hence why a judge and barristers discuss how to navigate this beforehand.

it is often raised as a flaw in judicial systems around the world - but at the same time widespread coverage can assist, for example in identifying witnesses or encouraging others to come forward with information. It’s a double edged sword.

given the uniqueness of the case (and given that it may not even reach a hypothetical courtroom!) it’s impossible to really discuss details - but no doubt any judge will be extra careful in ensuring the trial is as safe as humanely possible!

Reactions: 4
I had to do jury duty of a reasonably high profile murder trial last year and I was shocked at the terrible reporting of the prosecutions‘ case by the press. They’d drop in and out and weave a story together that was at best incorrect and at worst misleading. Everyone agreed the murderer was guilty, but it was actually far more sinister than the press made it out to be.

I am sharing this just to say that I don’t trust the press to either A) always report on cases effectively and B) even with the full story (if we ever get it) that the press will portray it without holes or bias

I wholeheartedly agree on your thoughts on the press.

Are you saying the press downplayed how sinister the murder was?!?!?!

Now you're being ridiculous. Do you think it was okay for Kate and gerry to leave their children then? Because that's what I'm reading.

I presume you mean Sarah Payne bit of a difference she was 8 and she wasn’t alone she had been playing in a field with her brother and sisters. April Jones was 5 and had been playing outside her house with a friend. Kate and Gerry left 3 toddlers in a unlocked apt in a different country while they ate and drank on numerous occasions

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.