M&S Food #8 The offers are rinse and repeat, just give us a free treat!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe a range for us plebs who aren't rich that gives us the excitement of Primark/Aldi.
To be honest that's where they have gone wrong. They aren't Aldi or Primark and trying to compete with those stores is not what I shop at M&S for. If I want Aldi I can go to Aldi. What I want from M&S is quality at a fair price. Example: on the Aldi thread people raved about the cocktail cans and how they were so much cheaper than M&S well they definitely are a lot cheaper, they are also absolutely foul and I'd rather pay £2.25 for an M&S can with 2 shots than 85p for fizzy mouthwash. Some of what Aldi does is great, some of what M&S does is quite cheap (their latte is cheaper than Aldis) there's a market for both but no point trying to replicate.
I think they’re doing okay. They haven’t started price matching Aldi like Tesco and Sainsbury’s but their essential range is still good value. They have a bag of pasta at 70p. It’s 65p at Aldi for 500g. Milk at my local M&S store is cheaper then at Sainsbury’s.

The issue i have with my local Aldi is that it’s a victim of its own success. It’s impossible to pop in on a saturday and get out in under 20 mins. They changed to self service tills only recently but now instead of having to wait for 7 or 8 people when it was busy you have to wait for 15+ people in a line that snakes all the way around. The best time to go is if you go super early.

I am my grandmothers daughter but they’ve got better quality clothing that lasts, so i buy less often for myself. We bought my brothers graduation suit for under £79. (£25 trousers+ £45 blazer.) Similarly I didn’t buy the £18 body butter from the Bodyshop because i knew it would be it would be cheaper at M&S at £3.00 for the same weight.

Statutory profit after tax of £309.0m (2019/20 £27.4m).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I think they’re doing okay. They haven’t started price matching Aldi like Tesco and Sainsbury’s but their essential range is still good value. They have a bag of pasta at 70p. It’s 65p at Aldi for 500g. Milk at my local M&S store is cheaper then at Sainsbury’s.

I am my grandmothers daughter but they’ve got better quality clothing that lasts, so i buy less often for myself. Similarly I didn’t buy the £18 body butter from the Bodyshop because i knew it would be it would be cheaper at M&S at £3.00 for the same weight.

I didn't see any essentials range but my nearest is in a house expensive area so they probably don't need it.
I agree Body shop is expensive. I pop in when passing to see if their satsuma shower gel is on special offer and then get pounced on by an assistant desperate for a sale 😁

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I have started buying my pantry staples from M and S - tomatoes, beans, pasta, canned soups, rice etc and have recently got quite a few 10 and 15% off deals from Sparks and through the post this week which makes them more of a bargain, plus they are good quality.
I don't buy ready meals but have noticed how much the prices have increased lately but I suppose this is same in all shops.

Reactions: 5
There’s a little bit more about it here:

Surprising didn’t know that there might be differences in what’s stocked. My local store has a halal range but ive not spotted it in the larger store i sometimes visit.

I wanted their Shea butter because of the smell, but I couldn’t justify the price so my cheapie butter with honey and apricot will have to suffice.

Reactions: 2
Bless you 😂 Yea protein and fibre definitely make you feel fuller for longer! I only had my dinner about 2 hours ago and I’m already hungry from talking about all this food fml 😂😂

This is me!!!!! If you haven’t already don’t do it with pasta! Soul destroying 😂😂😂
Granola is the worst for this. It makes me so sad, and it's not even "healthy" as you'd believe to begin with! 😂

Granola is the worst for this. It makes me so sad, and it's not even "healthy" as you'd believe to begin with! 😂
I've solved the granola problem by making a big fruit salad (with Limelon) and then I have a bowl of that with a spoon of granola and some natural greek yogurt.

Bless you 😂 Yea protein and fibre definitely make you feel fuller for longer! I only had my dinner about 2 hours ago and I’m already hungry from talking about all this food fml 😂😂

This is me!!!!! If you haven’t already don’t do it with pasta! Soul destroying 😂😂😂
I have 2oz pasta when I make it for myself and that is just right for me whereas I think the recipe usually says 4oz per person...

Not sure if country crisp is granola but they used to do a flavour they don't now and I had a bowlful without measuring it out and I couldn't eat for a whole day and had to stretch my body out until 4pm when I got some relief as I was so full. Needless to say my work colleagues were wetting themselves all day at the consternation on my face 😳🙄😁

• Haha
So how did people enjoy their limelons

Sainsburys also sell prepared limelon

Last edited:
I chopped a whole limelon today. I got 780g of chopped melon from it. Whole melon was £3.50 but with my voucher it was £3.15.

In comparison the pre chopped is 300g for £3.20. So i'll be buying whole only from now on 🙈

On the granola front, I have the Whites toasted oats banana and strawberry flavour in the summer for breakfast with full fat greek yogurt, chopped banana and berries. If youre watching calories its really not too bad at all and really filling.

I think a full portion of the oats is around 170/175 calories and with the yogurt and fruit Im full until lunch

• Wow
Nipped in earlier not to buy food because 1 I can't afford it anymore and 2 when it;s hot i dont feel like eating so all I can do is shove down toast or a sandwich/slice of bread and yet again price rises...
the 65p loaf is now 80p and the 2 pint semi skimmed milk is now £1.15. I feel these rises are getting scandalous.

Since the start of the year this item has been 85p then 90p then around the Jubilee weekend it went to £1 then £1.05 and now £1.15. It is rising almost every week for no good reason and in the last month alone it has gone up 3 times.. I'm not joking when I say pretty soon I will not be able to afford to eat.. my income does not go up and even buying less and less its costing more and more..25p more than when I got the same TWO items last week.

I always used to buy their smoked salmon which was 3 for £10. New price is 3 for £12 .

My local store is having a referb. Lots of missing items which wasn’t fun.
mine did that too. lots of items it no longer stocks.. while stocking tons nobody wants. let me know if yours also gets the wall of wines.. ours now stocks so much wine that nobody ever buys.. too much choice.. they did away with the whole huge sandwich snack drink and lunch aisle to fill 4 fridges and 4 shelves full of wine

• Sad
  • Heart
Nipped in earlier not to buy food because 1 I can't afford it anymore and 2 when it;s hot i dont feel like eating so all I can do is shove down toast or a sandwich/slice of bread and yet again price rises...
the 65p loaf is now 80p and the 2 pint semi skimmed milk is now £1.15. I feel these rises are getting scandalous.

Since the start of the year this item has been 85p then 90p then around the Jubilee weekend it went to £1 then £1.05 and now £1.15. It is rising almost every week for no good reason and in the last month alone it has gone up 3 times.. I'm not joking when I say pretty soon I will not be able to afford to eat.. my income does not go up and even buying less and less its costing more and more..25p more than when I got the same TWO items last week.
I don't think that's exclusively an M&S issue tbf.
Prices are rising across the board for several reasons.

Reactions: 6
Please M&S stop putting grated cheese on shepherds pie, corned beef hash and any oven ready main meal with minced beef. My hubby hates it and there's no need for it anyway !! THANKS
A LOYAL CUSTOMER

mine did that too. lots of items it no longer stocks.. while stocking tons nobody wants. let me know if yours also gets the wall of wines.. ours now stocks so much wine that nobody ever buys.. too much choice.. they did away with the whole huge sandwich snack drink and lunch aisle to fill 4 fridges and 4 shelves full of wine
Our branch is quite new and they have done the same - there is one corner that stocks more wine than Bargain Booze, floor to ceiling racks of it then on the other wall the fridges are full of bottles of beer and ciders, cans of different drinks and loads of 1 glass size bottles of wine. I would say the average ago of their customers is 50+ and don't see many of them with wine in their trolley. Don't think I have ever bought wine in M & S.

• Sad
The limelon is as good as people say.

i ordered a delivery from sainsburys this morning and they’d subbed the limelon for watermelon🙄 so I walked over to M&S which I normally don’t do on a Saturday as it’s outrageously busy and lo and behold - the last whole limelon- waiting for me! I grabbed it before anyone else could and also found a pack of preprepared limelon aswell to make sure I got a good taste and my only regret is not buying more!!! It’s soooo good. The fruit of the summer! It should be a human right to taste it 🤤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I think smaller stores may not. I sent a photo to my mum and her store doesnt have it but Sainsburys do.

My M&S is a large stand alone food hall.

Reactions: 1
The iced latte is an absolute dream I can’t remember who recommended it on the aldi thread but I’m trying my absolute hardest not to have another glass of it as I’m pregnant. Sooo addictive especially in this weather ☀

Reactions: 1
The limelon is as good as people say.

i ordered a delivery from sainsburys this morning and they’d subbed the limelon for watermelon🙄 so I walked over to M&S which I normally don’t do on a Saturday as it’s outrageously busy and lo and behold - the last whole limelon- waiting for me! I grabbed it before anyone else could and also found a pack of preprepared limelon aswell to make sure I got a good taste and my only regret is not buying more!!! It’s soooo good. The fruit of the summer! It should be a human right to taste it 🤤
You have twisted my arm -- I am off to the shops for Limelon now 😋

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.