Lucy Wood #2 We're not grabbing a cosy hot drink; we're half-listening while scrubbing the sink

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
TBH I can't help but feel a little happy for her. Her smugness does annoy me at times but I agree with others that she is far more deserving than other youtubers and their books filled with complete crap. Like Alfie deyes etc. At least she is a writer and has put heart and soul into it. Doesn't sound like my type of book at all, though I'm tempted to give it a read to see what it's like. Her motives sit well with me. This is 100 percent a life dream, not a cash grab. She is proud of her book and it's content. I wonder if other youtubers really are? Doubt it
Yeah I agree. She might have used her YouTube to leverage this, but she's clearly been passionate about books and writing them for a long time (I've followed her since her PopSugar days, and she definitely had some early videos about wanting to write a book and working on writing stories) so it makes sense and I would believe she's genuinely worked hard at this.

Reactions: 12
I don't know for sure, but reading between the lines in The Bookseller article, it seems she may also have been 'handed her dream on a plate' with the use of 'direct submission from author' and mention of her socials including her follower count on different platforms. I haven't watched her YouTube video on the deal so don't have any details she might have shared there. If she got the deal on the strength of her writing, then good for her, but I do think that her various follower counts played a big part here. That's just the way thing work these days. With the use of 'direct submission ' I'm still wondering if she was approached by the publisher. I guess at least she actually wrote this book - unlike Zoella etc.
She mentioned in the video that she’s been working on it since 2019 and was planning to self publish if no one wanted it. & she only has 200k followers with a 10-15% viewership, I struggle to believe that a publisher would contact someone who’s not wildly famous to see if they want to write a book and she just so happens to be writing one anyway. Maybe once she got in the room with her proposal it was a helpful factor for her. If they were going to get a YouTuber to write a book surely they’d go for someone bigger like Jack Edwards or Ruby Granger?

Even with her audience, it’s not like she was an overnight sensation, I’ve watched her for at least a decade and she was trudging along for years getting a few thousand views.

Reactions: 8
Sorry, this is going to make me sound like a massive bleep but when she said "I can't believe I get to tell you this" and starts "crying" - I laughed so much 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Sorry, this is going to make me sound like a massive bleep but when she said "I can't believe I get to tell you this" and starts "crying" - I laughed so much 😂
I skipped forward at that point, I guess that makes us two cunts

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I’m happy for her. I like her. I’ve pre ordered the book, it’s kind of up my street in a light hearted way rather that it’s my whole personality way. It’ll be the first ‘YouTuber’ book I’ll have bought. I do genuinely think it’s a dream of hers and that she deserves the opportunity more than the likes of Zoella, Louise Pentland, etc, having an EngLit degree and working as a writer for 10+ years, but do not know the world of publishing and could not comment on how many writers* deserve opportunities more.

* but that’s just life unfortunately, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and couldn’t get work in that 🤷‍♀️, so I’m self employed on less than minimum wage and have never earned above the threshold to pay any of my student loan off 🙃🙃🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I agree that she comes across extremely smug. She has done for a while now and she’s not funny anymore (but thinks she is) so I unfollowed ages ago. Just got this sponsored post pop up on my stories….it doesn’t even explain what the ad is, just “shop now” 🙄

Attachments

Reactions: 4
I agree that she comes across extremely smug. She has done for a while now and she’s not funny anymore (but thinks she is) so I unfollowed ages ago. Just got this sponsored post pop up on my stories….it doesn’t even explain what the ad is, just “shop now” 🙄
I wonder if Lucy holding a wedge of paper in her arms is supposed to be self explanatory? 🫣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Since she has a degree in English & works in writing, I'm kind of surprised she hasn't already written a few books and self published them. It's just in all her years on YT, she has always said she dreamt of writing a book and I understand it takes time to actually write one, but she definitely could of done it already and a few times.

It clearly hasn’t had as far a reach as she was expected as I’ve just had a sponsored story of her announcement to get me to click on it. So she or the publisher have paid Instagram to boost it. 😅😂

It took a friend of mine close to 10 years to see her book on the shelves with a deal from a much smaller publishing house, and she's a phenomenal writer. It really gets on my nerves when I see mediocre work from Z list celebrities being celebrated by publishers because followers=easy sales. I honestly wouldn't be looking this smug if I were Lucy. This was not a hard earned victory.
I wish you could post the book here so I could read it 🤍 congratulations to your friend that is a huge achievement being published!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Haha “spellbinding” is one of those words reviewers use when they’ve only read the synopsis. See also “urgent” and “wise”.

“Rewitched” sounds so basic. And her faux “omg pinch me” shtick is tedious AF.

A little odd that she has announced her book and then essentially disappeared?

Reactions: 11
Until the next sponsored video/IG. It's just how she operates now.
This. She got her preorders to number 1 because of the following she has but she doesn't need her followers right now at this moment in time.

This. She got her preorders to number 1 because of the following she has but she doesn't need her followers right now at this moment in time.
Exactly! She also doesn't currently need money for home improvements, or outfits for weddings so of course there would be no content until she does.

Reactions: 5
Oh hey Lucy 👋🏻 How convenient you remembered you hadn't been on social media since getting what you want after it was mentioned here yesterday 🤔

1000013997.png

You did not HAVE to drop cryptic clues. Stop it right now 😂

1000013998.png

Reactions: 2
So I didn’t realise Lucy had started hanging out with some of the laziest influencers ever. She was in the back of a vlog of one of them (it’s Amy astrid, Jess Elle king etc) so that might explain her lack of YouTube videos etc because she’s now friends with influencers who also normalise doing sweet fa

So I didn’t realise Lucy had started hanging out with some of the laziest influencers ever. She was in the back of a vlog of one of them (it’s Amy astrid, Jess Elle king etc) so that might explain her lack of YouTube videos etc because she’s now friends with influencers who also normalise doing sweet fa
I don’t know these 2 but I really like Maria and Abby and I feel like Maria is literally always on my fyp so she must make a lot of content?

they’ve been friends with Lucy a while, a couple of years I think, she’s popped up in a few videos and instas with them over that time.

I like Amy and Abby. I can't stand Maria personally (kind of funny that her groups niche is body positivity but she's just ... small) and agree Jess and Chloe don't seem to do anything but moan. Odd group for Lucy to attach herself to when she feels like it but I guess when she does she's the main character ✨

Ad incoming then.

1000015452.png

Why bother explaining why you took the photo when you're uploading it to the internet anyway??

1000015453.png

• Sick