Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

hannah123

VIP Member
I don’t think you can really be disgruntled at her for getting a book deal. She’s been a writer her entire career, is still freelance now I believe and did an English lit degree. Out of all the YouTubers I watch she would be the most deserving and qualified to write a book and get a deal. The teasing on insta was annoying but I don’t think it’s smug that someone is proud of themselves for achieving a lifelong dream, especially when she had to watch people she knew and had met like Zoella and SprinkleofGlitter get handed her dream on a plate then just use a ghostwriter. Idk if it’s my vibe for a book, and I never buy hardbacks, but if I can get it on 99p kindle deal or when it comes out paperback I might give it a read.

Reactions: 39

Yumyumbumbum

TBH I can't help but feel a little happy for her. Her smugness does annoy me at times but I agree with others that she is far more deserving than other youtubers and their books filled with complete crap. Like Alfie deyes etc. At least she is a writer and has put heart and soul into it. Doesn't sound like my type of book at all, though I'm tempted to give it a read to see what it's like. Her motives sit well with me. This is 100 percent a life dream, not a cash grab. She is proud of her book and it's content. I wonder if other youtubers really are? Doubt it

Reactions: 19

shezzle

“Balancing work at her beloved Lunar Books with protecting it from her toxic boss, who’s running it into the ground, and all the while concealing her witchcraft from the non-wicches around her – Belle is burnt out.”

am I crazy or does this sentence make no sense?? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 18

SkinkaareFan

VIP Member
Sorry, this is going to make me sound like a massive cunt but when she said "I can't believe I get to tell you this" and starts "crying" - I laughed so much 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Vixen88

VIP Member
I’m happy for her. I like her. I’ve pre ordered the book, it’s kind of up my street in a light hearted way rather that it’s my whole personality way. It’ll be the first ‘YouTuber’ book I’ll have bought. I do genuinely think it’s a dream of hers and that she deserves the opportunity more than the likes of Zoella, Louise Pentland, etc, having an EngLit degree and working as a writer for 10+ years, but do not know the world of publishing and could not comment on how many writers* deserve opportunities more.

* but that’s just life unfortunately, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and couldn’t get work in that 🤷‍♀️, so I’m self employed on less than minimum wage and have never earned above the threshold to pay any of my student loan off 🙃🙃🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
I forgot to watch the new thread and only just saw her announcement. Can I claim my prize for calling it!?

Screenshot_20240208_204221_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
Belladonna blackthorn? 🤔
I hope it’s set in an actual fantasy land as opposed to real life where witches hide themselves, as that name is so off otherwise.
She goes by Belle! I bet she is SO quirky!

This doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but I am kind of interested to see how Lucy tackles an adult romance. I really thought she would go for a cutesy YA.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

SkinkaareFan

VIP Member
She's definitely smug. Her face in the pictures she posted are the most smug I've seen her... And I've seen her smug alot 😂

If she didn't have a following then would she have gotten a book deal? Probably not. What makes her more deserving of other writers that work hard to be rejected over and over? This isn't just *a* book deal either, it's a two book deal. Better writers would kill for this opportunity but most have to make do with being self published (or never published) and never have anyone (or a very minimal amount of people) read it.

She does the bare minimum and gets opportunities like this and I get it's not just Lucy but these people need to stop getting handed things on a plate for very little work.

Sure, take every opportunity you can, we all would but she doesn't deserve it imo. Her writing isn't that great from what I've read and I've the blurb is anything to go by....eeeesh.

(*Also, I'm not arguing or saying you're wrong! Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course 😊)

• Heart

tam

Have to be honest, sounds like a bit of me. I love witchy, cosy books. The very secret society of irregular witches was a great read.
Interested to see what the writing style is like.

Piggywig77

Ooooh interesting!!! I will never not be impressed by how you tattlers find out everything before we’re “meant to” 😌 ETA - £16.99?! Howay man

• Haha

JLXRD

VIP Member
Oh… really not my thing, in a little sad bc I was hoping it would be a little more contemporary and a little less booktok cutesy.

Im sure it will do relatively well though as she has an audience already. Its not for me though sadly.

Reactions: 13

Shutterbug99

VIP Member
I don’t think you can really be disgruntled at her for getting a book deal. She’s been a writer her entire career, is still freelance now I believe and did an English lit degree. Out of all the YouTubers I watch she would be the most deserving and qualified to write a book and get a deal. The teasing on insta was annoying but I don’t think it’s smug that someone is proud of themselves for achieving a lifelong dream, especially when she had to watch people she knew and had met like Zoella and SprinkleofGlitter get handed her dream on a plate then just use a ghostwriter. Idk if it’s my vibe for a book, and I never buy hardbacks, but if I can get it on 99p kindle deal or when it comes out paperback I might give it a read.
I don't know for sure, but reading between the lines in The Bookseller article, it seems she may also have been 'handed her dream on a plate' with the use of 'direct submission from author' and mention of her socials including her follower count on different platforms. I haven't watched her YouTube video on the deal so don't have any details she might have shared there. If she got the deal on the strength of her writing, then good for her, but I do think that her various follower counts played a big part here. That's just the way thing work these days. With the use of 'direct submission ' I'm still wondering if she was approached by the publisher. I guess at least she actually wrote this book - unlike Zoella etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

ECH

VIP Member
That...is her on the cover. Is this why she's been obsessed with red bows?

• Heart

theodorable

Lucy isn’t a full time content creator though, she does copy writing and also now is writing her second book and editing the first. I think she wants to get away from sharing so much online and that has been evident the last few years.

I am a big Disney world fan so while I do wish she was posting stories bc I'm nosey, i do get just wanting to enjoy your holiday if you’re not contractually obliged to share it (as she was previously). I imagine vlogging takes up time as it is.

Previously I guess it was her job and she had to, now she doesn’t have to 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think that’s all well and good but she still uses her platform (almost solely) for ads and making money off of people who built her platform enough to afford her a lot of the opportunities she has had.
If she wants to step away from content creation and sharing her life I think that’s totally understandable. But she comes back a few days before every ad to act like we’re all her besties etc then posts ads and asks for clicks and engagement. Then disappears because she doesn’t want to share her life with her followers…
I just don’t like her wanting to have it both ways, it’s disingenuous.

• Heart