Lucy Letby Case #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think so. I think it’s related to the prolonged exposure to insulin causing the symptoms displayed by the baby and these symptoms not being resolved by counter measures, that is, the administration of dextrose.
The prolonged symptoms could only have been caused by prolonged exposure and, probably, the only thing being given continuously over time was the TPN.
I’m not sure if there’s no doubt but very little doubt. LL herself agreed that the baby was poisoned by insulin by someone though not incriminating herself, obviously.
I see you’re saying the amount insulin in the body isn’t consistent with it being in the second bag? Because the second bag wasn’t connected for long enough to have been the source?

this baby was prescribed insulin and I’m not sure if we know if any was given yet either. I wonder could this be a plausible reason for an overdose though?

Reactions: 2
I don’t read it as her wanting babies to be sick - I read it as her wanting to use the skills and knowledge she’s learned to be a neonatal nurse. I think because she’s on trial it can feel iffy and wrong that she’s said it, but if she is innocent it can read harmless.
I don't mean actively wishing for it, but surely you'd rather all babies 'just' needed to feed and get stronger and none needed intensive care? Regardless of your skills going unused or your interest level. So to me, it's still a horrible attitude. Babies 'just' needing to get bigger is traumatic enough.

Reactions: 12
I don’t read it as her wanting babies to be sick - I read it as her wanting to use the skills and knowledge she’s learned to be a neonatal nurse. I think because she’s on trial it can feel iffy and wrong that she’s said it, but if she is innocent it can read harmless.
I can see how it can be taken like that, but surely if you had these skills and you wanted to be actively involved in the treatment and positive progression of a premature baby, you'd look for a job within a level 3 setting wouldn't you? Neonatal units are always advertising for staff, she could of very easily applied for a position at Liverpool Women's, or Arrowe Park.
If your work environment can at times be "boring" you look for a environment that would stimulate you so that your knowledge can be used and your mind be challenged and new skills developed?
And she would definitely get that at a level 3 NICU.
That's how I see it anyway.

Reactions: 12
I see you’re saying the amount insulin in the body isn’t consistent with it being in the second bag? Because the second bag wasn’t connected for long enough to have been the source?

this baby was prescribed insulin and I’m not sure if we know if any was given yet either. I wonder could this be a plausible reason for an overdose though?
I think it’s pretty clear that the first bag was the source as it was started just after midnight and the babies glucose level plummeted a few hours later. The second bag wasn’t started until lunchtime the next day.
I think the questioning of the second bag comes as the babies insulin levels didn’t drop until about 7pm.
I think the prescribed amount was described as ‘tiny’. Also, if there was a one off overdose of insulin it would have been corrected quickly by dextrose. Like a diabetic having a sweet when they’re taking a hypo. Although I do believe the prescribed insulin would be delivered in an infusion pump too so might have been continuous, but I’m sure it would have been stopped when low blood glucose was detected.
The fact there was a prolonged period of very low blood sugar, and the baby had a very high level of artificial insulin in the blood, indicates that there was prolonged exposure to insulin.
Phew! Long post!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I don't mean actively wishing for it, but surely you'd rather all babies 'just' needed to feed and get stronger and none needed intensive care? Regardless of your skills going unused or your interest level. So to me, it's still a horrible attitude. Babies 'just' needing to get bigger is traumatic enough.
I can kind of relate to her on this, I've worked on a busy, understaffed ward and we've all expressed frustration if a patient who isn't that unwell gets admitted. It still takes time and resources to provide care for them but it didn't need to be in that environment and the beds and resources are so limited that you want the most poorly patients to have them. Again its all context and admissions are different in general medicine, if the ward had a few empty beds (rare) then an easier patient would be amazing but not if it's say the last bed in the country.

Reactions: 5
I think it’s pretty clear that the first bag was the source as it was started just after midnight and the babies glucose level plummeted a few hours later. The second bag wasn’t started until lunchtime the next day.
Yeh if they can prove that, then that’s not good

Reactions: 3
I can kind of relate to her on this, I've worked on a busy, understaffed ward and we've all expressed frustration if a patient who isn't that unwell gets admitted. It still takes time and resources to provide care for them but it didn't need to be in that environment and the beds and resources are so limited that you want the most poorly patients to have them. Again its all context and admissions are different in general medicine, if the ward had a few empty beds (rare) then an easier patient would be amazing but not if it's say the last bed in the country.
Babies though? I think until people have seen very poorly babies or there own baby in NICU it’s difficult to imagine why people find her attitude so barbaric. I’d hope most nurses would rather be bored their whole career if it meant babies had a better chance at life. You are supposed to go in it to care not be having a jolly stimulating time. Plenty of other jobs if thats what you want.

Plus SCBU exists exactly for babies with less intensive needs, they aren’t taking resources from anyone.

Reactions: 10
Babies though? I think until people have seen very poorly babies or there own baby in NICU it’s difficult to imagine why people find her attitude so barbaric. I’d hope most nurses would rather be bored there whole career if it meant babies had a better chance at life.
Absolutely but I do still think the context is important. If babies were being turned away at the time due to beds or they could have been stepped down in care and they were run ragged then I can understand it. If she's just sat round bored hoping some sick babies get admitted so she's got something to do then she's a duck up.

Reactions: 3
I don't mean actively wishing for it, but to me surely you'd rather all babies 'just' needed to feed and get stronger and none needed intensive care? Regardless of your skills and interest level. So to me, it's still a horrible attitude.
There were babies in the nicu requiring intensive care when she was asked to look after the babies who needed less intensive treatment and if she was one of the more senior nurses it’s not shocking that she would want to support the most vulnerable babies instead of ones who needed less intensive needs met. I don’t see that as a fault personally I think it’s quite common for medical and nursing staff to want to utilise their full potential. It’s not that she wants those babies to be more poorly it’s that she wants to help the others get to a position where they also “only” need fed and other care.

Reactions: 6
Apologies if this has been covered - when changing the TPN bags, is it not standard practice to change the giving set? So if the first bag had been contaminated and been through the giving set, it would continue to be contaminated through the set?

I did see someone say that putting insulin in a TPN bag would dilute it so much that it wouldn’t register in the blood as much as it did?

The newspaper thing I see no issue with - she is an only child and so perhaps her aunt or uncle put the notice in from her cousins if they were the closest thing to brothers.

The notes - there has been mention of other notes found and so I can only assume the one went been shown is the one most beneficial to the pros.

Reactions: 1
I'm currently on a secondment and it's boring compared to my usual work where there's hypos all the time , feeds , challenging behaviour keeping the sugars stable is a job in itself. There's loads of nurses here as well so your job gets diluted it sounds horrible I'm not wishing people ill or anything. LL was only 25-26 at the time and it's more common for younger nurses to enjoy fast paced work. I just enjoy doing clinical skills, when I'm ready to slow down I will come back here.

Reactions: 7
I can see how it can be taken like that, but surely if you had these skills and you wanted to be actively involved in the treatment and positive progression of a premature baby, you'd look for a job within a level 3 setting wouldn't you? Neonatal units are always advertising for staff, she could of very easily applied for a position at Liverpool Women's, or Arrowe Park.
If your work environment can at times be "boring" you look for a environment that would stimulate you so that your knowledge can be used and your mind be challenged and new skills developed?
And she would definitely get that at a level 3 NICU.
That's how I see it anyway.
You could then argue she’d feel wrong for leaving her already short staffed unit though - we could go around in circles all day. I personally don’t see it as alarming that someone would want to utilise their skills to their full potential. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion of course.

Reactions: 4
I’d say the feeding is pretty essential too not a ‘Just’ ha! I suppose as well it’s sort of conflicting with other things.. I’m so sad about the recent events and id like to be with sickest babies. I do think the wording of things may become or form an interesting picture. And how that’s something police officers also talk about in cases as causing suspicion. Of course it’s not enough on its own. Very interesting at this point to me.

Reactions: 6
Babies though? I think until people have seen very poorly babies or there own baby in NICU it’s difficult to imagine why people find her attitude so barbaric. I’d hope most nurses would rather be bored their whole career if it meant babies had a better chance at life. You are supposed to go in it to care not be having a jolly stimulating time. Plenty of other jobs if thats what you want.

Plus SCBU exists exactly for babies with less intensive needs, they aren’t taking resources from anyone.
I am a total hypocrite cos I've been to nicu to assess a perinatal patient and they couldn't discharge her baby because of lots of complex social and MH reasons,when I was there the nurse made a comment about how ridiculous it was we were allowing this baby to 'bed block' when other babies could have their space and I remember being absolutely appalled and going through her. I guess I'm just trying to be objective and weigh up each point in my own head 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 2
10:42am

A legal discussion has resulted in a delay to the start of today's hearing. The trial is now expected to start at 11.15am.

Plea deal? 😮

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Hmm having read some bits again it’s seems very agreed between the defence and prosecution that the insulin overdose has to have been deliberate, which means child e was beyond all doubt murdered?

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Did they interview the pharmacist who made up the tpn bag? I'm guessing they must have?

Reactions: 5
10:42am

A legal discussion has resulted in a delay to the start of today's hearing. The trial is now expected to start at 11.15am.

Plea deal? 😮
Definitely not with the prosecutions case so far she has a chance of a NG there would be no plea deal it's life inside for serial killing babies.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.