Lucy Letby Case #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apparently ‘they don’t need to’ 😳
Ahhh the ghislane maxwell defense, didn’t she refuse to give evidence cause she thought the prosecution hadn’t made a strong enough case against her… Turned out well for her didn’t it…
---
Exactly, it would be biased. They’re supposed to be neutral.
Babs “Loves her Babies” Smith on Facebook who’s education includes “School of hard knocks” and “university of life” knows all about the British justice system right. More than barristers practising for decades. End of (sic)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Ahhh the ghislane maxwell defense, didn’t she refuse to give evidence cause she thought the prosecution hadn’t made a strong enough case against her… Turned out well for her didn’t it…
And a lot of the evidence against her was 'circumstantial', too. But compelling and followed a pattern.

Reactions: 14
Her to place my guilt on the poll.. It still baffles me seeing the results honestly. Nevermind.

Is anyone else finding defence a bit hypocritical?

Reactions: 15
Her to place my guilt on the poll.. It still baffles me seeing the results honestly. Nevermind.

Is anyone else finding defence a bit hypocritical?
I’ve been on both sides ie been a prosecution witness and done jury service and in both situations I just found the defense laughable like are you for real? It is hypocritical and the fact they can do the job with a straight face is pretty remarkable, I’m by no means gifted in my intelligence and I’d like to think that the jury can see through this too.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve been on both sides ie been a prosecution witness and done jury service and in both situations I just found the defense laughable like are you for real? It is hypocritical and the fact they can do the job with a straight face is pretty remarkable, I’m by no means gifted in my intelligence and I’d like to think that the jury can see through this too.
I don't for one second believe I'd be able to do that job, and at the end of the day he is simply doing his job.. But the things he's saying he's just throwing tit in the wind imo and expecting it not to slap bang wollop in he's face. He's totally acting asif prosecution have NOTHING??? honey, you had a plumber.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
---

Babs “Loves her Babies” Smith on Facebook who’s education includes “School of hard knocks” and “university of life” knows all about the British justice system right. More than barristers practising for decades. End of (sic)
Is that 'Full time Mummy' Babs?!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I can't follow live anymore. It's too aggravating. I catch up on here and, in all honesty, avoid the transcripts (i appreciate the work that goes in, it's hard reading). She's a soulless creature, unfortunately not even an empty vessel, because she is filled with some of the worse evil anyone could imagine.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Ben is doing a ‘good job’ professionally in the sense that he’s attempting to cast supposed doubts (in a grasping at straws way), but not one medical professional approached was prepared to stand up there and be a defence expert witness. That speaks a higher volume in such a serious and long trial, surely. Yeah the onus is on the Pros but when your life is on the line wouldn’t you have been at the begging stage of making sure your counsel was able to get someone there? Other than a plumber. It’s a sack of manure that. Not one doc.

I’ve skim read too recently as work and evening homelife with the mini Treesys is just too full on, but I read the bit about Child E’s mother. It really is her or Letby who is telling the correct account. Can’t see how anyone would not believe the mother.

Closing seems littered with earlier rubbish too - would Ben only be satisfied if there was a real life medical trial for air embolus conducted on neonates? Maybe a few trials, get some papers.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
If he had experts giving advice they’d have to take the stand so that the prosecution could cross examine them otherwise that wouldn’t be a fair trial
I am going to disagree here as I don't believe that's true. He can seek advice (and IMO from reading what he is saying in closing, I think he has done) he does not have to use them as expert witnesses in oral or written evidence.

If the police/CPS however, has evidence that they have uncovered during the course of the investigation then they do have to disclose that to the defence as their job (the police) is to investigate not prove guilt. A schedule of disclosure would be given and any documents/reports/photos etc that the prosecution don't wish to use, can be used by the defence.

Reactions: 8
I am going to disagree here as I don't believe that's true. He can seek advice (and IMO from reading what he is saying in closing, I think he has done) he does not have to use them as expert witnesses in oral or written evidence.

If the police/CPS however, has evidence that they have uncovered during the course of the investigation then they do have to disclose that to the defence as their job (the police) is to investigate not prove guilt. A schedule of disclosure would be given and any documents/reports/photos etc that the prosecution don't wish to use, can be used by the defence.
But by those standards that you’ve just explained that means he can invent things randomly, but claim he’s been informed by an “expert” but then not produce this for anyone else to confirm/challenge. Surely that isn’t what happens during the justice system?

I don’t doubt he hasn’t had someone to explain the medical jargon to him as he isn’t medically trained but surely he cannot have someone give him “expert advice” or give “expert evidence” without them taking the stand?
Both sides also get a list of disclosure/witnesses and the prosecution could call a witness if they saw fit. This was my understanding but I am happy to be corrected by those in the legal field

But by those standards that you’ve just explained that means he can invent things randomly, but claim he’s been informed by an “expert” but then not produce this for anyone else to confirm/challenge. Surely that isn’t what happens during the justice system?

I don’t doubt he hasn’t had someone to explain the medical jargon to him as he isn’t medically trained but surely he cannot have someone give him “expert advice” or give “expert evidence” without them taking the stand?
Both sides also get a list of disclosure/witnesses and the prosecution could call a witness if they saw fit. This was my understanding but I am happy to be corrected by those in the legal field
If he has taken advice from someone, he can do that and not call them. The prosecution can (and undoubtedly have) do the same.

I do work in the legal field, but not criminal law. The prosecution is the one that provide the disclosure of unused material not the defence. The defendant has a right to see all information/evidence that both supports their case and contradicts it. It does not work that way in return.

List of witnesses must be provided by both sides, but taking advice is not the same as using a witness.

Reactions: 13
Just got my other half up to speed with the trial as he wasn't following and he says she is totally guilty and he can't comprehend why she's done it from a guys view she's a cuckoo he said 😂also l need some baby advice so added a spoiler
has any of you lovely tattlers that have ever breastfed experienced a baby with reflux? I think mini Caledonian has reflux. He's really sicky after a feed and even after bringing wind up he's screaming unless he's vertical. Either that or my milk is drying up as that happened with wee Caledonian albeit 7 months in and not at 5wks in 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 10
ETA...I have not seen it reported that he has said " an expert informed me" He would not do so. He can't just invent things randomly and would not do so, its unethical and simply not true. What he can do, and is, is define/present the evidence in an alternative light. That is literally his job.

If he has taken advice from someone, he can do that and not call them. The prosecution can (and undoubtedly have) do the same.

I do work in the legal field, but not criminal law. The prosecution is the one that provide the disclosure of unused material not the defence. The defendant has a right to see all information/evidence that both supports their case and contradicts it. It does not work that way in return.

List of witnesses must be provided by both sides, but taking advice is not the same as using a witness.
I’m aware the prosecution do the unused material, as you say, it’s right that the defendant gets all the information to try avoid cherry picking. Hence why we then end up with agreed evidence.

Yeah the list of witnesses is what I was referring to. The prosecution can choose to call one of the defence even if they defence decide not to call them.

I think both sides has have “advice” but what was being discussed here was BM having had experts to provide him with alternatives for the deaths but him just deciding not to call them as witnesses. I didn’t think that was a possibility. So it’s possibly he has advice from someone with a medical background but not from someone that the court have agreed are an expert witness on that field otherwise, they’d have been called as they’d need to have the chance to be cross examined as experts should be impartial. This was the discussion point from the Facebook group post

Edit - sorry lots of typos in there but I cba going back to change them 🤣

Reactions: 11

This is correct. Also the expert witnesses like Dr Evans and Dr Bohin were hired by the police and therefore independent of prosecution or defence - they have a duty to the court. So even though we call them prosecution witnesses, they're really witnesses of the court. They need to pass the threshold of impartiality and credibility to be allowed as expert witnesses. If BM had decided to bring on a medical expert, then they would have been defence witnesses however.

Even though BM can consult experts and still not present their evidence at trial or bring them to the stand, it still needs to be legally admissable by the judge and of course, the prosecution can challenge it too. So can't be completely made up BS. In a case like this, where every medical expert is in agreement on cause of death, I do believe no expert was willing to commit to an opinion that would stand up in court on BM's behalf. If he has gone to the trouble of bringing a plumber on the stand when he didn't have to, it's very hard to believe the lack of medical experts was a choice.

They were happy to share some opinions and ideas maybe, but not willing to put their name to it - and to me that says a lot. Given there's so many professional experts you can hire. Should have been easy to find someone. And that will stick with juries because they're not idiots - they can see that nothing BM is presenting has a medical experts' stamp of approval in the actual trial.

Some more info here https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/expert-evidence

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Just got my other half up to speed with the trial as he wasn't following and he says she is totally guilty and he can't comprehend why she's done it from a guys view she's a cuckoo he said 😂also l need some baby advice so added a spoiler
has any of you lovely tattlers that have ever breastfed experienced a baby with reflux? I think mini Caledonian has reflux. He's really sicky after a feed and even after bringing wind up he's screaming unless he's vertical. Either that or my milk is drying up as that happened with wee Caledonian albeit 7 months in and not at 5wks in 😭
Oh bless him, what a shame. It sounds like it may well be, your health visitor would be able to perhaps trial some omeprazole? I’m still breastfeeding my 8 month old now and his was very mild so because he wasn’t bothered by it and still putting on weight we didn’t do anything and he’s fine now. A mum at our baby group however, her baby was similar to what you’ve described and was given omeprazole. Hopefully it won’t be your milk supply dipping, that in itself is actually rare apparently. The “Breastfeeding Support Scotland” group on Facebook is very good for advice. ❤

• Heart
Oh bless him, what a shame. It sounds like it may well be, your health visitor would be able to perhaps trial some omeprazole? I’m still breastfeeding my 8 month old now and his was very mild so because he wasn’t bothered by it and still putting on weight we didn’t do anything and he’s fine now. A mum at our baby group however, her baby was similar to what you’ve described and was given omeprazole. Hopefully it won’t be your milk supply dipping, that in itself is actually rare apparently. The “Breastfeeding Support Scotland” group on Facebook is very good for advice. ❤
a chocolate teapot would be mee use than my health visitor shes been out once since we got put in her care and she weighed him at 10 days then she phoned yesterday to say that it's her time off til the middle of July and I'll get another hv in the meantime 🙄 I said to my oh I think he's got lighter even though he's definetly longer he doesn't feel heavier. I'll give them a look as I want to breastfeed as long as I can as its easier and cheaper to do so lol

• Heart
a chocolate teapot would be mee use than my health visitor shes been out once since we got put in her care and she weighed him at 10 days then she phoned yesterday to say that it's her time off til the middle of July and I'll get another hv in the meantime 🙄 I said to my oh I think he's got lighter even though he's definetly longer he doesn't feel heavier. I'll give them a look as I want to breastfeed as long as I can as its easier and cheaper to do so lol
I hope the new one is better :confused: Failing that the GP, but the group is definitely a wealth of info too, even just searching past posts. Let us know how you get on 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I hope the new one is better :confused: Failing that the GP, but the group is definitely a wealth of info too, even just searching past posts. Let us know how you get on 💙
thank you 😘 I've asked to join the group and I'm going to speak to the infant feeding team lady who deals with me and is so much better than the hv. She actually helps me so I'll see what she thinks too

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This week is hard going man. But on the other hand he hasn’t produced anything that would make me question guilt at all. One thing that has been frustrating, (but is also my own fault for still following the fb groups) is people claiming that they’ve known all along that BM has had experts advising him in the background and how clear that is now😵💫😵💫 it’s the same people that have denied LL’s involvement all along, and for some reason it’s what gets my back up the most, I wasn’t 💯 closed off at thread 1 that she was guilty, i obvs am now but these people, I’m beginning to think they’re just trolling for the sake of it. Anyway do people think this is a thing? If he had experts who it is claimed, have even admitted they’re working on the case, why wouldn’t he bring them out as witnesses?View attachment 2269752View attachment 2269753
You wouldn't know these experts, they go to a different school 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.