Lucy Letby case #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@docmum @Haveyouanywool anything to add medically for the arrest baby M has? It’s so incredible to me that they, understandably, nearly gave up after almost 30 minutes and spoke to the parents about stopping efforts.. for baby to go on to be in air just hours later. Thank god they carried on. Important to remember how many babies have survived because of all their efforts too I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This baby was actively dead to the point they were asking the parents about stopping CPR. As soon as that happened, the rash went away. There was no time for pictures.

The notes for an arrest follow a specific structure - it has to be an automatic process in the scribe's head, just like everything in CPR that we try and make automatic.

You document how many rounds of CPR, when you're giving drugs (adrenaline), or shocking if appropriate. You document looking for your reversible causes - hypoxia, hypovolaemia, hypo or hyperkalaemia, hypothermia, thrombosis, cardiac tamponade, toxins, tension pneumothorax. This is why we get blood gases, a set of obs, and the heart and lungs are examined during compressions. These are recorded contemporaneously. You do expose the child, but you're looking for something BIG.

If there's none of these reversible causes present, and you don't have a pulse back, you start thinking about stopping. You have a discussion with family, or you ask the rest of the team do they have any objections to stopping. This is documented. Then you document when you stopped and why.

Issue is, the reason baby M arrested isn't one of those reversible causes. They were progressing down that specific structure from what we heard, then.... baby M suddenly got better for no apparent reason. The relevance of that rash was also only recognised once the consultants sat down in June - the art of note writing means down you're writing down relevant things only, I'm not going to write about my patient's 5 cats, or funny looking toe, or a bit of a rash when I don't think it's relevant. In an arrest situation, unless you think that rash is suggestive of anaphylaxis (gives hypoxia and hypovolaemia, which are reversible), or DIC (thrombus, which is reversible), or is due to a local reaction to a transdermal patch (toxins) or suggests surgical emphysema (tension pneumothorax) you're probably going to bypass it.
Thank you - that’s a very thorough explanation as to how things work. Can I just check I am understanding though, if there are symptoms that present that don’t fit in with the ‘checklist’ of events that you note almost automatically, they more than likely don’t get noted? Ie because the rash wasn’t connected to what you would usually see for those conditions, it was left off? Have I understood that correctly?

This is what puzzles me about the 'trophies' like, the house was searched in 2018, by this point she had been suspended hadn't she? Then put on admin duties, surely if guilty you'd know exactly what was going on and would lose the trophies, or even visit your parents with a bag of stuff and leave them there, they wouldn't think twice about them. Seems so odd to leave them in a bag under the bed knowing that an arrest and search is inevitable. Unless they're not trophies and she forgot she had them 🤷‍♀️
I seem to recall the parents' house was searched but nothing found.
---
Mundane detail but I’ll be fascinated to find out how they actually got the police in. Like there has to be an “oh duck” moment where the bosses realise this is probably a deliberate thing and they have to tell the police.

What happens in that situation? Do you ring 999 and be like “someone might have killed babies a few months ago but not right now?” Do you ring 101 and risk it getting lost between the calls about lost cats and scruffy vans on posh streets?
Do they just call some top Inspector Morse type dude to come in and start looking?
I think they would have had to speak to Governance/Safeguarding/Medical Director/Director of Nursing prior to any police involvement. Probably a high level meeting would have taken place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I mean I shouldn't bite but no, I'm not trolling. I don't necessarily believe any of the possible explanations or situations I mention, they're just things that pop into my head as I interpret the evidence and I discuss them in here.. because its a discussion thread. I've never defended LL, I don't know her so how can I, I've just said whether I feel certain evidence is compelling or not. For me, the notes found aren't. Insulin however is very compelling, but for me there isn't a great deal to discuss with that one so I don't bother. Given that I've been a nurse for a while and worked in busy wards, I might see some evidence differently from some people.
Also we haven't even started the defence case and personally I'd like to hear at least some of their case before I come to my own conclusions. Some don't, that's fine.

I'm not quite sure what you feel you're contributing to the discussion 🤷‍♀️

Just out of

Jk.. she's my sister I just want her to get out so she can give me back a dress she borrowed
I mean I shouldn't bite but no, I'm not trolling. I don't necessarily believe any of the possible explanations or situations I mention, they're just things that pop into my head as I interpret the evidence and I discuss them in here.. because its a discussion thread. I've never defended LL, I don't know her so how can I, I've just said whether I feel certain evidence is compelling or not. For me, the notes found aren't. Insulin however is very compelling, but for me there isn't a great deal to discuss with that one so I don't bother. Given that I've been a nurse for a while and worked in busy wards, I might see some evidence differently from some people.
Also we haven't even started the defence case and personally I'd like to hear at least some of their case before I come to my own conclusions. Some don't, that's fine.

I'm not quite sure what you feel you're contributing to the discussion 🤷‍♀️

Jk.. she's my sister I just want her to get out so she can give me back a dress she borrowed
This isn’t at all to be offensive or disagree, just an honest question. I get she could have easily taken certain paperwork home by accident, I’ve done it. But anything I shouldn’t have or I know shouldn’t have left the building gets destroyed straight away. There’s nothing malicious in it apart from absent mindedness and just being in a rush. But, the thing I struggle with here is this, why would you have them for as long as she’s had them and I guess it’s the nature of the paperwork that’s making think that’s just not right. Also in terms of ‘trophies’ I think the reason it’s suspicious is because you would keep it, hence why it’s called a trophy. Everyday people wouldn’t keep them, but by it being called a trophy and the very nature of what she’s accused of that’s what they are looking for. She wouldn’t get rid of it. I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m still very open, but it’s just these things that make me think. The police searched her house because they were looking for those things.

Reactions: 13
Just refreshing memory on baby A. Think it is startlingly similar, including of course Letby being there and having given a treatment right before. Baby A also in good condition etc.
32FBE463-95EB-4CAA-B25B-45EC9AAD0E4F.png
8E37EF59-B7EF-4976-AA15-248145A3E484.png

---
Just to add a few more air embolism cases. Again note the cares Letby gives just before each time.
The rashes yes very slight differences in description but nothing wild imo, bruise on the trunk we’ve heard other times too. She’s there just before each time, often alone, having just had perfect opportunity.
53CA4E12-1DD7-4EC1-B2D9-2BAE8C89FB06.png
F27FB73D-1C20-4961-850F-752D085DAC1A.png
3EA4A746-7E3B-4868-A678-B1FFF0E551F7.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
This isn’t at all to be offensive or disagree, just an honest question. I get she could have easily taken certain paperwork home by accident, I’ve done it. But anything I shouldn’t have or I know shouldn’t have left the building gets destroyed straight away. There’s nothing malicious in it apart from absent mindedness and just being in a rush. But, the thing I struggle with here is this, why would you have them for as long as she’s had them and I guess it’s the nature of the paperwork that’s making think that’s just not right. Also in terms of ‘trophies’ I think the reason it’s suspicious is because you would keep it, hence why it’s called a trophy. Everyday people wouldn’t keep them, but by it being called a trophy and the very nature of what she’s accused of that’s what they are looking for. She wouldn’t get rid of it. I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m still very open, but it’s just these things that make me think. The police searched her house because they were looking for those things.
I guess if it's been taken home accidentally, it may have been in the same bag and therefore not noticed to return to the hospital? Or a bag for shredding. I'm not saying it isn't a trophy, just that it doesn't immediately strike me as suspicious. Maybe she's chosen them as trophies because it is less obvious than a belonging and could be explained away as being absent minded.

Yeah maybe she couldn't part with them when suspicions were raised, but at that point when she had an idea of what was being said, guilty or not she was clearly in a state when she wrote that post-it so seems odd to me that at that time she wouldn't also dispose of trophies.

Reactions: 4
Agree with your points and also think another huge issue with it being an accident is that not only are these not regular handover notes but a very obvious record of the collapse that shouldn’t have gone anywhere except the bin, a blood gas record that is kept with proper medical notes and maybe more crucially - this is NOT her patient. She’s not carried these things round with her all day.

Reactions: 11
I ventured onto the FB group just out of curiosity and someone did make an interesting point re the report under the bed …

‘Be interesting to know what type of person she is. If she is a type B personality, I wouldn’t find it unusual for her to have discarded notes in her house, under her bed etc. If she’s a type A and usually very tidy, then I would find the keeping of these notes interesting.’

I ventured onto the FB group just out of curiosity and someone did make an interesting point re the report under the bed …

‘Be interesting to know what type of person she is. If she is a type B personality, I wouldn’t find it unusual for her to have discarded notes in her house, under her bed etc. If she’s a type A and usually very tidy, then I would find the keeping of these notes interesting.’
All of that is true, and yes I know somebody who moved recently and I can tell you he is a complete hoarder and probably took tons of junk with him because he couldn’t be bothered to sort it out. We simply don’t know what type of personality she is or how organised she is. However, isn’t the nature of said paperwork that’s the issue, the blood has report , now the police have raised this obviously as evidence, why would she have it. I suppose that the issue, yes of course handover notes etc, I suppose you could write that off as absentmindedness.

Reactions: 6
The issue with the blood gas report vs handover notes, is that it is exactly the same as finding out that a nurse at your Dr surgery had your blood test results under her bed at home.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
What's that thing called where you 'remember' something that happened, but when lots of people also say they remember it, it begins to be remembered wrongly? I'm sure there's a word for it but I just can't think.
Off topic but that makes me think of when everyone remembered Walkers Salt and vinegar crisps originally being in blue packets but apparently they were green all along! Sorry that’s prob not a relevant example but yeah 😄

• Haha
Off topic but that makes me think of when everyone remembered Walkers Salt and vinegar crisps originally being in blue packets but apparently they were green all along! Sorry that’s prob not a relevant example but yeah 😄
Wait - you’re telling me they weren’t in blue packets! That’s gotta be a lie 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Thank you - that’s a very thorough explanation as to how things work. Can I just check I am understanding though, if there are symptoms that present that don’t fit in with the ‘checklist’ of events that you note almost automatically, they more than likely don’t get noted? Ie because the rash wasn’t connected to what you would usually see for those conditions, it was left off? Have I understood that correctly?
Yes, exactly. In an arrest situation it's really difficult, you might have 5, 6, 7 people in that room with you, and with a tiny premature baby you're going to struggle to see. Having a set list of what we look for helps lighten the cognitive load.

Additionally, you've got to remember that most doctors do not know what a rash looks like with air embolus. I can't even find an example of the rash easily on google (for obvious reasons) - I've had to go through a couple of different articles, find the latin name, then look that up because that's apparently what it looks a bit like in divers when they get a cerebral air embolus (which is different too!). The rash that an air embolus apparently 'looks like' occurs in 50% of newborns as well, the weird thing about it here is that it specifically disappeared when the baby got better...

For reference, this is the rash the articles say the cerebral air embolus in divers looks like, I've seen something similar in a lot of babies that is permanent, especially newborn ones. Remember that Baby M is only 2 days old at this point.

cutis-marmorata1__WatermarkedWyJXYXRlcm1hcmtlZCJd.jpg

Reactions: 11
What’s sad is once they all started to ‘associate her with the incidents’ she worked on the unit for a further 11 months. That’s bad. Those poor babies who died and were hurt after that. The hospital should have taken her off the unit at the suspicions to do a review

• Wow
Reactions: 19
Yes, exactly. In an arrest situation it's really difficult, you might have 5, 6, 7 people in that room with you, and with a tiny premature baby you're going to struggle to see. Having a set list of what we look for helps lighten the cognitive load.

Additionally, you've got to remember that most doctors do not know what a rash looks like with air embolus. I can't even find an example of the rash easily on google (for obvious reasons) - I've had to go through a couple of different articles, find the latin name, then look that up because that's apparently what it looks a bit like in divers when they get a cerebral air embolus (which is different too!). The rash that an air embolus apparently 'looks like' occurs in 50% of newborns as well, the weird thing about it here is that it specifically disappeared when the baby got better...

For reference, this is the rash the articles say the cerebral air embolus in divers looks like, I've seen something similar in a lot of babies that is permanent, especially newborn ones. Remember that Baby M is only 2 days old at this point.

View attachment 1980221
Thank you, that’s really helpful.

Your picture made me think of what my granused to call ‘corn beef legs’- when you’d stood in front of the gas fire 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 8

View attachment 1980221
So interesting. I looked up embolism rashes and saw fat embolism and pulmonary embolism rashes but not air for obvious reasons! Within those examples there was variation in how they looked and how I would describe each one, maybe more pink/purple/red. I think the descriptions are on the whole very consistent. Unusual, fleeting, different to normal mottling, between pinks reds and purples. I know pink secretions round the mouth was mentioned for a few babies too and somebody found a report about Bev A’s air embolism victim that survived, having been noted as having pink secretions round her mouth too. Would that possibly be significant?

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

Your picture made me think of what my granused to call ‘corn beef legs’- when you’d stood in front of the gas fire 🙈
there is actually a medical name for the fire/hot water bottle rash - ‘erythema ab igne’ - or affectionately known as ‘granny’s tartan’ (because of the pattern)
---
So interesting. I looked up embolism rashes and saw fat embolism and pulmonary embolism rashes but not air for obvious reasons! Within those examples there was variation in how they looked and how I would describe each one, maybe more pink/purple/red. I think the descriptions are on the whole very consistent. Unusual, fleeting, different to normal mottling, between pinks reds and purples. I know pink secretions round the mouth was mentioned for a few babies too and somebody found a report about Bev A’s air embolism victim that survived, having been noted as having pink secretions round her mouth too. Would that possibly be significant?
not sure re this. Took the secretions previously to indicate a traumatic cause.

Reactions: 7
there is actually a medical name for the fire/hot water bottle rash - ‘erythema ab igne’ - or affectionately known as ‘granny’s tartan’ (because of the pattern)
---

not sure re this. Took the secretions previously to indicate a traumatic cause.
Ah you are more than likely right and I’m thinking of the babies where there’s physical harm maybe.

The key word today was ASSOCIATION. They did not suspect Lucy 11 months prior to her being put to admin duties. They recognised an association between these awful events and her being present.

There is absolutely no doubt the care was suboptimal on many occasions but that doesn’t make these doctors guilty, malicious or inadequate. The thought of a murderous colleague just seemed so far fetched. It still seems so far fetched to the general public and the Facebook groups! Only a couple of Docs pressed on this association early in and this was initially met with a barrier, not being listened to. They then went in hard with their concerns around June 2016, within a few weeks of Baby L&M being attacked, she was then moved to a non clinical facing role. I commend them for their curiosity and efforts to improve care and treatment.

In my opinion this case will soon blow up around the globe. I also think they will have current specialist police staff working hard to try to convict her for many more incidents outwith this current trial.To end I would just like to highlight the Beverly Allitt review and one particular learning point….In future, people must be prepared to ''think the unthinkable''.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
@docmum @Haveyouanywool anything to add medically for the arrest baby M has? It’s so incredible to me that they, understandably, nearly gave up after almost 30 minutes and spoke to the parents about stopping efforts.. for baby to go on to be in air just hours later. Thank god they carried on. Important to remember how many babies have survived because of all their efforts too I think.
Nothing to add to @F1Grid fantastic explanation. I’d only reiterate, strongly, that AE is extremely rare, so rare that the Drs didn’t realise the significance of what they were observing. Even though they noted LL was present foul play hadn’t occurred to them.
Dr RJ had to reference very old literature.
With the benefit of hindsight, and additional knowledge, it all seems obvious now, but that is not a luxury they had.
Yes, ideally, the rash should have been recorded on all occasions, but things are rarely ideal. What a terrible realisation for them, horrendous.
I really don’t think there is much else the defence can bring.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.