Lucy Letby Case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She was a band 5.
You have to be QIS before being considering for a b6. It differs slightly everywhere but usually that involves completing a neonatal critical care course and Arni. Then you apply and interview for the b6 role
Thank you! I’m theatres, we have to sell our soul to get a 6 or know the right people… obviously 🙄 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Don't know if anyone's heard of this case. Given a life sentence and then exonerated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucia_de_Berk

Regarding the scapegoating thing, I doubt it's an orchestrated campaign against Lucy, but it's definitely possible that she was in the wrong places at the wrong times, and that's enough to bring her under suspicion. Basically, no other explanations for what's happened, so she's the next best guess. I'm not wording this properly. Hope people know what I mean.

Edit: I still doubt they'd go to such lengths over such a long period of time if they didn't have a strong case against her.
I think the prosecution will have dissected all similar precedents and learnt from previous mistakes to make a water tight case.

Reactions: 4
Great input. When you mention all medication is double checked in paediatric by 2 people what is the logistics of that? My son was in ICU from a newborn and had 3 ops as a newborn/5m and 7m. Always just had one nurse come around with her trolly and one nurse sorting out his morphine. Is the 2nd person check done somewhere away in the back ground? Just curious as to how it would work! In theory the nurses could have easily meddled with my sons medication and I would have been non the wiser so how easy would it have been to do something alone in the room? He was also given too much morphine and went into respiratory arrest and again as per your post I guess 2 people must have missed that the dose was wrong so is it that uncommon for the lack of attention to detail whilst on a busy shift?
Oh gosh, I’m sorry that happened to your son!

Children’s doses are all weight based, whereas most adult drugs are generic doses. So everything has to be calculated properly and then checked for accuracy. There are some trusts that allow single checking for certain drugs, or some trusts that have the Nurse in Charge do all the control drugs (use of experience etc), or sometimes checking is done in the medication room against the drug chart and then distributed from the trolley by the Nurse with the trust it won’t be tampered with. Sadly everywhere is different, but I’ve always been taught peadiatric drugs should be double checked.

Sadly anything could have happened. Too much morphine, your son reacting differently to the correct dose than expected, doses too close together, or yes just human factors - I’m not afraid to say I’ve made drug errors (nothing life threatening) when tired or busy or in an emergency, even with a second Nurse checking. Whatever happened, I imagine teaching and changes came from your sons situation, whatever the cause was. I know that doesn’t help but definitely my experience of such scenarios. X

I also think meddling with drugs would be difficult due to frequent drug stock checks, drugs being locked away, cameras (sadly not in every trust), computerised systems, staff always being around. Lots of reasons. But I guess if you really want to do something awful, you’d find a way sadly. 😔

Reactions: 13
I think the prosecution will have dissected all similar precedents and learnt from previous mistakes to make a water tight case.
Also it has taken so long to get this case into court, I assume to ensure their case is as watertight as possible. I am very keen to hear her defense.

Reactions: 13
Great input. When you mention all medication is double checked in paediatric by 2 people what is the logistics of that? My son was in ICU from a newborn and had 3 ops as a newborn/5m and 7m. Always just had one nurse come around with her trolly and one nurse sorting out his morphine. Is the 2nd person check done somewhere away in the back ground? Just curious as to how it would work! In theory the nurses could have easily meddled with my sons medication and I would have been non the wiser so how easy would it have been to do something alone in the room? He was also given too much morphine and went into respiratory arrest and again as per your post I guess 2 people must have missed that the dose was wrong so is it that uncommon for the lack of attention to detail whilst on a busy shift?
I am not a medical professional, but a carer of someone who attends hospital frequently. The morphine IV is usually prepared in the medicine room and checked by 2 staff. 1 nurse comes out to the bed to administer this.

Reactions: 5
Never mentioned that. I was talking about the toxic nursing situation so I don't understand your point? I never said that was happening with Lucy, just agreeing that Nursing can be a toxic work environment.
I was alluding to the most convincing defence purported on the thread so far which is that those in the NHS are often scapegoated. Your post was the most recent one of that ilk so I quoted it - not accusing you of mentioning something you didn’t mean.

The thread is already hard to keep up with, I’d love it if we all didn't create extra reading picking apart each other’s words! No offence meant to anyone

Reactions: 14
I am not a medical professional, but a carer of someone who attends hospital frequently. The morphine IV is usually prepared in the medicine room and checked by 2 staff. 1 nurse comes out to the bed to administer this.
Should still be 2 nurses to do a bedside check with the patient.

Reactions: 2
To be fair I’m incredibly nosy and will have a glance on Fb/insta/LinkedIn people I’ve met or friends of friends I hear about. I’d hate to be judged by my Facebook search 😂
honestly, i pride myself in my facebook / instagram skills! 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Thank you for this insight, really valuable! Especially interesting what to say about only being able to tamper with medicine if you took it away; but if someone is motivated enough could they possibly fly under the radar? Would you notice if someone was acting strangely if they did so with confidence rather than skulking around? I hope that makes sense what I’m asking!

I don’t know how NHS bands work but if it’s comparable to civil service, I assumed she was one away from the top pay rate in her band rather than a senior nurse? And if moving up the pay scales is based on length of service then she may have been the most senior/well paid nurse in her band on the department but working under nurses/sisters in a more senior role?
Yes I agree, very true! And if it’s a colleague you work with often and trust, why would you have reason to be suspicious…

Maybe! I think someone above answered that she was a 5 (so lowest band), but people can be 5’s for their whole career if they never apply to a 6 etc. I’ve met top band 5’s with over 20 years service who I wouldn’t deem as competent in washing a patient’s hair, so length of service doesn’t always mean seniority sadly. 🫢

Someone mentioned this Twitter account earlier, BBC correspondent. This is info I didn’t see in Sky news or the Leader

Paperwork should have been signed by two nurses but only Lucy. (An example maybe of how hospital failings compromised safeguarding) and also paperwork for other children, not just baby B.

2312C39E-3673-4D2C-99A9-3E93F50B5ADF.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 20

Children’s doses are all weight based, whereas most adult drugs are generic doses. So everything has to be calculated properly and then checked for accuracy. There are some trusts that allow single checking for certain drugs, or some trusts that have the Nurse in Charge do all the control drugs (use of experience etc), or sometimes checking is done in the medication room against the drug chart and then distributed from the trolley by the Nurse with the trust it won’t be tampered with. Sadly everywhere is different, but I’ve always been taught peadiatric drugs should be double checked.

Sadly anything could have happened. Too much morphine, your son reacting differently to the correct dose than expected, doses too close together, or yes just human factors - I’m not afraid to say I’ve made drug errors (nothing life threatening) when tired or busy or in an emergency, even with a second Nurse checking. Whatever happened, I imagine teaching and changes came from your sons situation, whatever the cause was. I know that doesn’t help but definitely my experience of such scenarios. X

I also think meddling with drugs would be difficult due to frequent drug stock checks, drugs being locked away, cameras (sadly not in every trust), computerised systems, staff always being around. Lots of reasons. But I guess if you really want to do something awful, you’d find a way sadly. 😔
Thanks, Luckily it was noticed quickly and emergency buzzer was pulled which is why I was shocked it all went unnoticed it is true. I would think if it was just an accident it would be something you learn of and don’t make the mistake again. Do you think there is the possibility that she simply was just incompetent at her job?

I think her defence will just be she didn’t do it and she can’t explain how it happened. She doesn’t need to provide an alternative theory, it’s up to the prosecution to prove she did it.

Reactions: 22
I think neonatal nurses are band 5 but then if they do extra critical care nursing then band 6?
Neonatal is 3 levels. Critical care, high dependency and special care.
That’s also true. Most specialities have a “course” that you can do after a certain length of time. Ie I did my post grad ICU course 3 years after starting in ICU. Some trusts would then make me a band 6 upon completion of this, whereas my Trust don’t have this policy and you stay as a 5. So yeah maybe if she has done her course and her Trust is decent, she could be a 6.

Reactions: 1
I was alluding to the most convincing defence purported on the thread so far which is that those in the NHS are often scapegoated. Your post was the most recent one of that ilk so I quoted it - not accusing you of mentioning something you didn’t mean.

The thread is already hard to keep up with, I’d love it if we all didn't create extra reading picking apart each other’s words! No offence meant to anyone
a few years ago there was a case of a Filipino nurse accused of murdering patients? The case collapsed?

This is only day one, for a 6 month trial surely there has to be a lot of circumstantial evidence such as the police getting a warrant to dig her garden up and spend years to send this to court. It must also be out of work life aswell.

Reactions: 10
Should still be 2 nurses to do a bedside check with the patient.
definitely always one for us. I am actually quite shocked everyone doesn’t follow the same rule book. I’d have thought that would make life a bit easier for everyone but maybe not?

Do you then present them with the information you have gathered from a safeguarding point of view?
If I saw things like “in a relationship” and photos of a boyfriend on a profile and the person had so far lied about it then yes I would confront them about what I had found. If he’s being hidden from us then we don’t know enough about him to be around children already considered to be vulnerable. We do the same with any information given to us, it’s professional curiosity.

• Wow
Reactions: 17

Just to echo I used to work in a pharmacy until recently, baby and small child doses of serious medication like that were always checked, checked and checked again. Of course all medication is BUT they were always super cautious around those meds for kids, the script dosage was checked and calculated by more than one person before dispensing too because it’s a very fine line between them being ok and over medicated. we didn’t have many of those scripts come in and it was a family business so they could afford to be extra, extra cautious.

I would have imagined a hospital setting would be more clued up with the calculations of dosage but still vigilant about checking.

Reactions: 7
Thai may be a stupid question but why do they expect the trial to take so long ? They have been working on it behind the scenes for years

Reactions: 6
Thai may be a stupid question but why do they expect the trial to take so long ? They have been working on it behind the scenes for years
The number of victims - each case needs to be presented on its own merits. It's 7 murder trials and 10 attempted murder trials all at once.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.