Lucy Letby Case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not impossible, I know people who have climbed the ladder very quickly. Some people are just made for it.. and in some trusts if their area is failing sometimes there is no one to step up so there are some young inexperienced managers out there.

It is worded strangely re her banding though.
Some do climb definitely not a 7 though, I've only seen that in more mature students who have come from different professions so have more managerial experience. I've never seen a 25 year old ward manager.

Reactions: 4
Nursing can a be toxic culture environment, they can gang up on a member of staff try and blame stuff on them. I've seen it happen before not murder though. I'm not sure what's happened she deserves a fair trial I will reserve my judgement until after the defence have said their bit.
Yeah ny friend was an Adult nurse. She was bullied so bad she had to quit. Did a Midwifery top up and is now a midwife. Nursing can be very toxic.

Reactions: 15
It will be hard for the jury

Having been on an intense trial jury before, you can have strong suspicions and evidence that someone is guilty of a horrible crime but unless you are beyond a reasonable doubt, it is very difficult to say guilty and the defence do a good job of putting that doubt there when there is perhaps circumstantial evidence.

This case may come down to how much doubt the defence put in their minds and it is very daunting putting someone away for a very serious crime that will end their lives if you have any doubt whatsoever.

For those of you wondering how the jury works, you do get an opportunity beforehand to provide reasons as to why you can’t do longer than your 2 week allocation, but only pre booked holiday will really be taken as a reason to get out of it they don’t care about your job / childcare and the amount they pay you for missing work is garbage so having a good employer is important not sure how the self employed handle it.
I did it earlier in the year and we were in a cinema so all we heard was the evidence nothing else legal I’ve not done it in a court so not sure if different but basically u make ur decision on what uve heard and that is it

If she's acquitted she will get an absolutely whopping payout for the outrageous amount of time she's been held in prison without trial.

I'm open minded at this point as we've only heard the prosecutions opening statement and they've already ballsed up in causing total confustion with regards to her grading/seniority.

It's going to be incredibly hard for them to 'prove beyond reasonable doubt' when from what I can gather it took the investigators a number of years to decide that these cases were even murder cases in the first place, and even longer to gather enough evidence to charge her. I don't understand how at this point there isn't instant doubt in anybodies mind.
She won't get a payout. Have a read of the Secret Barrister books and you'll see that innocent people have an incredibly high bar to reach before they get anywhere near compensation. She is unlikely to get any of her legal costs paid either if she's acquitted.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I’d hate to be judged off my Google search history. I look up every crime I hear about. I probably flag as a person of interest by now 😬
Okg I recently watched How To get away with murder. I had like 6m between watching the second to last series and the last one. I googled Hot To get away with murder so I could recap and all sorts came up hahahaha. I Darent google anything now haha

• Haha
Reactions: 7
And you know this for definite? No. Nobody does. Yes it's looking like they've got some VERY strong evidence against her but until convicted, she's innocent until proven guilty. That's what this trial is for.
Do they though? So far it’s just handover sheets, some google searches and the fact she was on shift when the babies died. Not compelling and potentially circumstantial? I’m just playing devils advocate here.

Reactions: 13
I think neonatal nurses are band 5 but then if they do extra critical care nursing then band 6?
Neonatal is 3 levels. Critical care, high dependency and special care.
She was a band 5.
You have to be QIS before being considering for a b6. It differs slightly everywhere but usually that involves completing a neonatal critical care course and Arni. Then you apply and interview for the b6 role

Reactions: 3
Same here, I do this personally and professionally. From a professional safeguarding point of view, I’m looking for things that they often lie to us about such as boyfriends and weekend activities. It’s amazing what people post publicly and don’t realise.
Do you then present them with the information you have gathered from a safeguarding point of view?

Yeah ny friend was an Adult nurse. She was bullied so bad she had to quit. Did a Midwifery top up and is now a midwife. Nursing can be very toxic.
Glad she left that toxic situation, but there’s a huge difference between being bullied at work and being scapegoated for several baby deaths surely?

Reactions: 9
Couple of questions 😅

1. Why 6 months, are they seating one day a week or is there really 26 full weeks of evidence to be presented? Has there ever been such a long trial before this one?

2. So babies were dying. Their cause of death was 'unexplained'. A previous poster said that air in the blood thing is notoriously hard to detect, as is insulin o/d. Obviously nothing was picked up on PM so how did they come to these conclusions? How do they expect a jury to find she is guilty beyond reasoble doubt if they can't even prove how they died?

Reactions: 19
If she murdered Baby A it was only 28 hrs later [ would that be the next shift?) that she attempted to murder Baby B. It seem unreal that someone could kill a baby for first time then go on to try again the next shift. I guess we will hear tomorrow how long before Baby C was murdered or attempted murder.
I just can’t get my head round how anyone could harm a baby and then act normal !

• Sad
Couple of questions 😅

1. Why 6 months, are they seating one day a week or is there really 26 full weeks of evidence to be presented? Has there ever been such a long trial before this one?

2. So babies were dying. Their cause of death was 'unexplained'. A previous poster said that air in the blood thing is notoriously hard to detect, as is insulin o/d. Obviously nothing was picked up on PM so how did they come to these conclusions? How do they expect a jury to find she is guilty beyond reasoble doubt if they can't even prove how they died?
This is where the statistical analysis comes in but it's full of controversy. A few have been acquitted over it.

Reactions: 8
Do they though? So far it’s just handover sheets, some google searches and the fact she was on shift when the babies died. Not compelling and potentially circumstantial? I’m just playing devils advocate here.
It’s just been one day of evidence though..

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If she murdered Baby A it was only 28 hrs later [ would that be the next shift?) that she attempted to murder Baby B. It seem unreal that someone could kill a baby for first time then go on to try again the next shift. I guess we will hear tomorrow how long before Baby C was murdered or attempted murder.
I just can’t get my head round how anyone could harm a baby and then act normal !
Says that 2 babies definitely were poisoned by insulin 😢 awful

Reactions: 4
This whole case just makes me very sad. Having had a baby spend time in neo natal after birth - I can’t comprehend how anyone could want to harm a tiny defenceless baby. I don’t want to believe it’s true.

• Sad
Don't know if anyone's heard of this case. Given a life sentence and then exonerated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucia_de_Berk

Regarding the scapegoating thing, I doubt it's an orchestrated campaign against Lucy, but it's definitely possible that she was in the wrong places at the wrong times, and that's enough to bring her under suspicion. Basically, no other explanations for what's happened, so she's the next best guess. I'm not wording this properly. Hope people know what I mean.

Edit: I still doubt they'd go to such lengths over such a long period of time if they didn't have a strong case against her.

Reactions: 14
Glad she left that toxic situation, but there’s a huge difference between being bullied at work and being scapegoated for several baby deaths surely?
Never mentioned that. I was talking about the toxic nursing situation so I don't understand your point? I never said that was happening with Lucy, just agreeing that Nursing can be a toxic work environment.

Reactions: 2
This is the first trial I have properly followed from the beginning. I've always been interested in true crime but this feels really different. I had a baby earlier this year and was struggling to get the hang of feeding while I was still in hospital, leading to tears from me and baby. One of the midwives took my baby out into the corridor to calm her down and give me a moment and I just let her! Then immediately thought I shouldn't have. Luckily, everything was fine but it's so awful to think evil walks among us. Seems like if it wasn't LL it was someone else and it's just horrifying.

I am slowly catching up with the thread but just wanted to add my two pence for what it's worth. I believe that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise but I have been shocked by the level of evidence already stated by the prosecution in its opening statement. If things continue on this trajectory I think it will be difficult for the defence to establish reasonable doubt, but we'll see.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Like everyone else, I just can’t get my head around how someone could do these things to a baby. It goes against human nature - we are programmed to protect babies, not kill them. And the fact she was a neonatal nurse too - you would think she would want to protect babies more than anyone. But, then maybe it’s like how paedophiles try to get jobs that get them close to children 😰 If she is guilty, I feel like I need to know “why”? It’s going to be a long and distressing trial and my heart really goes out to those who have lost their little ones 💔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.