Lucy Letby Case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s this for me . How can you search a family and then search previous families of babies that died . Why would anybody search two minutes after searching a baby that was sick that day . So so strange . I know people keep saying they search patients but This is not just once , I can’t remember what baby it was but she searched the family of that baby multiple times and then again in 2016 wierd

Attachments

Reactions: 17
I can’t understand how these deaths continued for over a year. So far the deaths and collapses have happened very close together and they all had concerning rashes but nothing was said? No staff meetings or staff room chatter?

Reactions: 25
It’s this for me . How can you search a family and then search previous families of babies that died . Why would anybody search two minutes after searching a baby that was sick that day . So so strange . I know people keep saying they search patients but This is not just once , I can’t remember what baby it was but she searched the family of that baby multiple times and then again in 2016 wierd
Yeah she searched one of the twins' family every month for 6 months and one of those times was on Christmas day. Very creepy.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Yeah it's the mottled skin/rashes for me... if it is an unusual occurrence, what did they think it was? Numerous times?

Reactions: 13
Thai may be a stupid question but why do they expect the trial to take so long ? They have been working on it behind the scenes for years
Because each case will need to be presented separately with prosecution and defence witnesses for each count on the indictment. For each murder count there is likely to be dozens of witnesses for the defence and prosecution. Courts also have to give jurors time to digest the information and not become overwhelmed so they take it slowly. In reality they only sit for around 4 hours per day by the time they've had breaks, lunch, legal arguments etc. Just a simple case can take weeks. The wheels of justice turn slowly.

Reactions: 8
Maybe nobody else will agree and I'm not saying I think she's innocent. But maybe (if she was innocent)it just became habit to check in on the parents to see how they were doing / if they'd posted? Everybody deals with things differently and I'm sure for any (innocent) nurse to witness so many baby deaths it would be hard to know how you'd cope or what you'd do. Everyone is different.

Reactions: 17
I think they posted a victims name on the live feed and quickly reworded but it had already been noticed by a fair few on here so I am assuming someone attached to the case had spotted it aswell
bleeping hell :( That's so bad!! Someone's getting sacked.

I just wanted to drop a few things in here to give some background/perspective from a medical point of view and from someone who has worked in the NICU (not sure if anyone’s said this already I’m just catching up after work) also I am in no way making any judgement or conclusion saying she’s guilty/not guilty I’m just giving a perspective.

In paediatric nursing ALL meds have to be signed for and administered by 2 registered nurses, this includes insulin and fluids. Some hospitals (mine does) requires 2 nurses to check the milk before an NG feed but I’m unsure of the case at this hospital.

it’s not uncommon for medication to be prepared/given/signed for by a nurse not looking after that patient in fact by not uncommon I mean it’s actually everyday practice. It’s unlikely that a patient would have 2 registered nurses assigned to them therefore a 2nd RN would have to check/sign medication for a patient not assigned to them. This sometimes happens in different rooms as you tend to find the nearest nurse that isn’t busy.

insulin can be/is prescribed to neonatal infants (just clearing up some of the comments I saw about insulin not given).

handover sheets as they have patient details on are supposed to go in the confidential waste bin and can’t be retrieved once in there however as these handover sheets spend most of the day in your pocket being scribbled notes on it’s not uncommon to accidentally forget to remove the paper from your pocket at the end of shift.

To add: as a neonatal nurse I find it absolutely horrific that this has happened to these innocent babies and happened in the place where they are supposed to be protected and looked after. I am attempting not to draw any conclusions until the end of the trail however it’s not looking great right now for LL. I just wanted to add a perspective and answer some questions that you might have had. I will be hanging round this thread and reading as much as I can :)

Reactions: 40
Do they know insulin was in the bags or did the babies just have massive hypos?
I mean babies dying in in NICU isn’t unusual. I do wonder if she’s being stitched up like a kipper.
Time will tell I guess

Yeah it's the mottled skin/rashes for me... if it is an unusual occurrence, what did they think it was? Numerous times?
This is what I can't understand, guilty or not the hopsital and the staff have failed so badly. It's hardly going to be something you could explain away as being a reaction to washing detergent is it? I can't wrap my head around how *she* may have done this but also how she *got away* with doing it for so long if she did.

Reactions: 20
It seems unlikely that she would be there for every case while others were there on no more than 7 occasions.
Unlikely yes. Just not much context why she was always there for babies who weren’t under her care. We’re the other nurses newly qualified, not as much training etc. It is unlikely, and one hell of a coincidence and bad luck IF she is innocent. And I say IF. I am a senior nurse and I will always be there making sure my junior colleagues are okay, I respond to alarms and respond to patients being unwell if they are my responsibility or not.

Reactions: 11
Can someone who works in a hospital answer this....if there's an unexpected death doesn't it make it even more important that all paperwork pertaining to the patient is filed properly and retained? If a child died I'd expect that ALL paperwork would be retained, without exception. I can't imagine a situation where a nurse would take home any paperwork in that situation as it would be crucial to ensure it's retained so that there's a clear audit trail. I just can't imagine a child dying and being careless with paperwork (if that ends up being her defence in regards to paperwork being at her home address)
A handover sheet doesn't really have identifying information if someone is called Joe Bloggs they will be called JB it has the events of the shift then allergies really important information need to know. Meds taken, physical OBS. It doesn't contain all the information that's on the computer notes. Many places are doing away with handover sheets as yes people frequently take them home and forget about it.

Reactions: 3
Why in a police interview did she ask did they have the bag feed .
wierd thing to ask was she worried they had evidence .

Reactions: 4
ours on the NICU in Newcastle were checked very regularly by nurses and health care assistants. The monitor is what allerted everyone to my sons respiratory arrest so they were always turned on day in day out.
Thanks for answering. I was also in NICU at a hospital in Newcastle! Many many years ago, of course. I'm deliberately avoiding talking about this case with my mum because I know it's such a sensitive issue when you've been in that situation. I hope all the parents on this thread are okay. It's a very upsetting topic.

The thought that anyone would have harmed him whilst he was alone is heartbreaking I can't imagine what the parents are young through. You just whole heartedly trust the nurses don't you? What an abuse of power on her part.
Another aspect of this that absolutely devastates me is how those babies were so close to being fine and able to go home. Like, you'll hear that one baby seemed to recover only to get worse again. It's tragic enough for a premature baby to die from natural causes, but if they were harmed when they were otherwise on the road to recovery it's just horrendous. Imagine being a parent and going over it in your head, that if they'd had a different nurse or been at a different hospital, they would still be with you. There are no words.

What’s possibly going to emerge in this is trial is how/why the police managed to get a warrant to dig up her own back garden. Clearly there was some suspicion or evidence pointing to something in the garden.
That's another thing I thought was strange. I can't imagine police would dig up your garden for no reason. What were they looking for? It's not like they had a missing person to find.

If the babies had died due to hospital failings/negligence, why not keep the investigation focused on that? Why would you assume a murderer's at work? That's a much rarer occurence than some kind of medical malpractice, so for them to zero in on Lucy in particular? It just seems odd.

Reactions: 6
Unlikely yes. Just not much context why she was always there for babies who weren’t under her care. We’re the other nurses newly qualified, not as much training etc. It is unlikely, and one hell of a coincidence and bad luck IF she is innocent. And I say IF. I am a senior nurse and I will always be there making sure my junior colleagues are okay, I respond to alarms and respond to patients being unwell if they are my responsibility or not.
She was in completely different rooms to the one was she supposed to be working in on multiple occasions though. Maybe she felt superior and thought she was in charge of the entire unit?

Reactions: 3
Maybe nobody else will agree and I'm not saying I think she's innocent. But maybe (if she was innocent)it just became habit to check in on the parents to see how they were doing / if they'd posted? Everybody deals with things differently and I'm sure for any (innocent) nurse to witness so many baby deaths it would be hard to know how you'd cope or what you'd do. Everyone is different.
oh hi Toffee! 👋🏻 🌊 😂

I think it’s her response that makes it suspicious for me. She told police she couldn’t remember doing it. But said she accepted the evidence says she did, but couldn’t say why she would have done it. But if the deaths affected you in a way that made you want to check up on the families multiple times (Inc Xmas day!) how would you forget that?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Do they know insulin was in the bags or did the babies just have massive hypos?
I mean babies dying in in NICU isn’t unusual. I do wonder if she’s being stitched up like a kipper.
Time will tell I guess
I would also like to know this. The baby was being treated with insulin for what I assume is gestational diabetes. Which would eventually correct itself within days/ weeks of the birth. Is there evidence to say the insulin was in the bag, as the Dr had previously said the hospital wouldn’t put it in the bag as it would congeal against the plastic?

And if this reaction happened on each victim, surely LL would think 'oh tit, I better not do this anymore - I'm gonna get caught'.
Especially since these events happened so closely together...but did she genuinely think she was never going to get caught? It didn't appear to daunt her in any way and no gap long enough to suggest that she was afraid of the consequences.

Reactions: 2
oh hi Toffee! 👋🏻 🌊 😂

I think it’s her response that makes it suspicious for me. She told police she couldn’t remember doing it. But said she accepted the evidence says she did, but couldn’t say why she would have done it. But if the deaths affected you in a way that made you want to check up on the families multiple times (Inc Xmas day!) how would you forget that?
Oh heyyy thread friend 🤣❤ yeah thats very weird. I think isolated the fb searches could be explained. But alongside all the other details it's just harrowing.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.