Lucy Letby Case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Operation Hummingbird is the investigation into the deaths of the babies at CoCH.
They've spent millions investigating so far.
In June 2022, the advert went up for Detective Chief Inspector to investigate the deaths across the force and beyond. Presuming that this was an July/Aug 22 start.
The role is initially a 3 year contract. So taking it to 2025. They also mentioned the upcoming trial in the advert.
Did more come out of Operation Hummingbird than just LL?
Reading that again, I would imagine the police are going to re-investigate every babies case that entered the NICU while LL was employed, including those who didn’t die to see if she tried to murder them.

Reactions: 10
I can’t stop thinking about or reading about this case. My baby girl was born in June and spent just over 2 weeks in NICU with sepsis, acute kidney failure and respiratory issues. She had a central IV line, cannulas, feeding tube, was on a ventilator… the thought that somebody could purposely harm these tiny little babies makes me feel sick to my stomach. You put so much trust in the nurses, especially at night time when you have to leave them, you think oh they’re safe they’re in the best place. It’s so so sad I can’t quite put into words what I want to say.

Part of me wants to stop reading about it but I can’t 😢😢
I'm the same, my little boy was born earlier this year (full term) but needed a small, unexpected op at 12 hours old. He was whisked away so quickly by a surgeon and a registrar and when he was out of surgery he went to NICU and had to stay for a week (although by day 3 he was on the special care unit rather than HDU). I barely left his side because after the first two days he wasn't actually hooked up to any machines and I was breast feeding him but there were three or four occasions where he was left for 2-3 hours whilst I went home and had a shower etc (and the initial surgery of course). The thought that anyone would have harmed him whilst he was alone is heartbreaking I can't imagine what the parents are young through. You just whole heartedly trust the nurses don't you? What an abuse of power on her part.

Something I can't work out also, is that even if she didn't murder them, surely she committed manslaughter? Why has that not been mentioned at all?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
My thoughts go out to the jury. My friend was on the jury for another very high profile case which included infant death and she had to get therapy afterwards. She was young and was thinking of starting a family with her boyfriend and found the whole thing traumatising

• Sad
Reactions: 29
Just been catching up on today and I feel so sick to the stomach, those poor babies and parents

Reactions: 2
Part of safety checks at the start of your shift are setting your alarm limits and volumes, however I’ve taken over from a patient where alarm limits are not appropriate to the patient - and some which always have to be on are switched off.
I’d imagine it’s different on an ICU or HDU in neo-natal and I’m sure someone with more medical knowledge than I have will know but when I was on the children’s ward with my baby the monitor alarms were going off constantly when the drips stopped working. Usually if baby rolled over and it was a sound all night and didn’t usually get an immediate response. However I’d like to think this wasn’t the case on these units

Reactions: 1
Ok I think I’ve caught up the threads from today. Damn the job getting in the way. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone flag this here, yesterday wasn’t there a mention to a nose thing. That when it was correctly positioned the baby then improved. So was that another route to interfere and sabotage? I forget which baby but it was yesterday.

Reactions: 5
Jumping on here to see if anyone shares my opinion. I’m on the fence with this case. All the stuff come out today I just feel like she is being used as a scape goat for something.
And the Facebook stuff. It’s human nature to be intrigued by peoples lives and how they deal with stuff including death. I have used Facebook countless times. After meeting people at work, then stalking their accounts being nosey. After having my baby, I remember looking at Facebook to see the midwives and find out if they had kids themselves and what their lives were like. I’m nosey!!

Reactions: 22
I’d imagine it’s different on an ICU or HDU in neo-natal and I’m sure someone with more medical knowledge than I have will know but when I was on the children’s ward with my baby the monitor alarms were going off constantly when the drips stopped working. Usually if baby rolled over and it was a sound all night and didn’t usually get an immediate response. However I’d like to think this wasn’t the case on these units
I work in ITU, but adult. Alarms will go off but best practice is to see what’s going on but also pause the alarms to prevent alarm fatigue for patients and staff. Very often new starters or some with alarm fatigue don’t pause their alarms and then other nurses will then intervene to see what is happening and is help needed or ask can you see to your alarms if not urgent. Working in the environment you know what
Alarm belongs to what machine.

Reactions: 8
Hi there. Been following this case for a while and it absolutely beggars belief that someone could do this to a baby. Absolutely heartbreaking and I would not rest if someone did this to my son, only born in July.
Re: motivation and the God Complex; the god complex seems to be the common explanation for medical practitioners who kill, alternative being Munchausen by proxy.
God Complex was the only speculated motivation for Shipman as he
What’s possibly going to emerge in this is trial is how/why the police managed to get a warrant to dig up her own back garden. Clearly there was some suspicion or evidence pointing to something in the garden.

Perhaps something happened in her life like a relationship/infertility/miscarriage something traumatic relating to babies, or perhaps a traumatic childhood. I saw a mention of adoption?

Stemming from some kind of personality disorder with Maunchesons as you mentioned, but a life event that triggered the killings.

I haven’t seen any knowledge of her body language or emotion in reports.

Reactions: 7
For me I'm entirely on the fence as a HCP most of the evidence seems really circumstantial at the moment. The handover sheet , the googling , the shift patterns, the charge nurse claiming she was with Lucy for one of them but the prosecution saying she wasn't. Cases like these they need concrete evidence as they can be acquitted later on. I've known people being thrown under the bus if their face doesn't fit. I'm wondering do the defence team have their own pathologists? Could a natural thing cause the spike in deaths? An infection ? One of the babies they thought had pneumonia they weren't really sure about the cause of death.

I don't think this will be clear cut at all hence her KC taking this on. He has a very good record of securing not guilty verdicts. I wouldn't want to be on the jury what a difficult case.

Reactions: 16
Ok I think I’ve caught up the threads from today. Damn the job getting in the way. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone flag this here, yesterday wasn’t there a mention to a nose thing. That when it was correctly positioned the baby then improved. So was that another route to interfere and sabotage? I forget which baby but it was yesterday.
Yes, there was a mention of a baby with a nasal cannula delivering oxygen. I think an alarm sounded because the baby’s sats were dropping, and another nurse went to check and fixed the cannula. The baby’s oxygen levels went back to normal.

Reactions: 2
I’ve been thinking about it all day. I really just can’t wrap my head around how anyone can look at a tiny innocent newborn and kill them!? It’s just pure evil 😭 my heart aches for the families

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Same as the Archie B case, thank you to all the HCPs sharing knowledge.

But, all we are hearing is the prosecution opening statements. What they INTEND to prove with evidence to back it up. Its not actually proven at this stage.

Next will be the defence opening and people will feel conned possibly.

Then we actually will get the trial underway with the prosecution going first but all witnesses can be tested on cross examination by the defence.

22 charges. Every one will have to go through the same process.

Then in reverse for the defence.

That is why it’s listed for 26 weeks. A huge amount to get through and it could still be delayed by illness or witness availability if an expert is required.

Apologies for the word vomit.

Reactions: 20
Something I can't work out also, is that even if she didn't murder them, surely she committed manslaughter? Why has that not been mentioned at all?

I don’t know if manslaughter was offered to her as a charge and she refused. Either it wasn’t offered as they feel there is enough to prove murder or she won’t accept it as then she has to accept that she played a part in their death, even accidentally. She wouldn’t want to do that either if guilty as there is no way all of these charges could be accidental, there are too many victims. Maybe that’s why they wouldn’t even offer her a manslaughter charge?
I don’t know, I’m just spilling out my thoughts, to accept manslaughter she would have to say that she meant to harm even if not to kill and she wouldn’t want to do that either?

Reactions: 5
Sorry I thought it was the prosecution opening we are hearing then we hear defence before all the evidence and witnesses?
But I could be wrong
You are right it's opening speechs I think defence starts Thursday to Monday

Reactions: 3
Well the definition of manslaughter is unlawful killing that doesn't include forethought.

If she injected insulin or air into them or tampered with their equipment, how can you argue any of those babies died without prior planning?

Reactions: 9
Same as the Archie B case, thank you to all the HCPs sharing knowledge.

But, all we are hearing is the prosecution opening statements. What they INTEND to prove with evidence to back it up. Its not actually proven at this stage.

Next will be the defence opening and people will feel conned possibly.

Then we actually will get the trial underway with the prosecution going first but all witnesses can be tested on cross examination by the defence.

22 charges. Every one will have to go through the same process.

Then in reverse for the defence.

That is why it’s listed for 26 weeks. A huge amount to get through and it could still be delayed by illness or witness availability if an expert is required.

Apologies for the word vomit.
Thank you - you have just explained what I was about to ask

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.