Lucy Letby #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Really interesting. I would imagine the picture would look extremely damning. Thanks.

Reactions: 6
That's what I wonder, if the defence will bring this up with more in-depth statistics. The prosecution were very sensationalist with the claim but as with the note, it may well not be all it seems.
I think the prosecution will bring it up with more in-depth statistics.

Reactions: 5
Just going back to the handover - in my trust everyone has handover together and a print out from electronic systems. Other trusts I’ve been have handover individually and made own notes. Not defending her but many of us nurses on here have said we’ve probably taken one home by accident, the difference is taking it back straight away for confidential waste.
What I’m trying to say is yes it’s weird that she has them at home from however many years prior but but not completely impossible to have taken one home accidentally

Reactions: 9
The fact she was charged with one murder and then it got thrown out is throwing me abit. As everyone's said its a high threshold to charge in the first place. So if they got that one wrong, what else have they got wrong?

Not sure I don’t work there anymore. I always though the only exceptions were airline and transport fields. Could be wrong though!
I’m not sure either to be honest. I’m pretty sure it will be different for Drs.
I think that, in such a high pressured ward where accuracy is key, there would have to be some guidelines.
I would think that, by the time she was under suspicion, they would really be keeping an eye on her hours.

The fact she was charged with one murder and then it got thrown out is throwing me abit. As everyone's said its a high threshold to charge in the first place. So if they got that one wrong, what else have they got wrong?
Just because they got it wrong doesn’t mean she didn’t do it though. It’s quite hard to prove.

Reactions: 13
yes it’s doing it to any where there is a duplicate and on any child, always takes it to the first one, child a. I’m using the header code (h3) or (h4) for the headers that creates the table.

I think it just can’t handle if you use the same header more than once. But I’m not sure what to use instead or if I just need to make them all unique

thanks for replying, it has helped

Reactions: 1
Nah, the NHS will have you as much time as you’re willing to work I’ve seen people do 6 x 12.5 hour shifts a week, which is nearly being there 50% of the time

Reactions: 10
It makes sense though, people who love lording it over vulnerable people won’t want to WFH in some professional office job. They’ll go for jobs like teacher, doctor, carer etc where they can lord it over vulnerable people day in day out. Both the girl who bullied me at school, and my husband’s abusive/controlling ex are now primary teachers!

Reactions: 5
Nah, the NHS will have you as much time as you’re willing to work I’ve seen people do 6 x 12.5 hour shifts a week, which is nearly being there 50% of the time
Same as people on oil rigs etc, working 12 hour shifts for 3 weeks in a row. It will be really interesting to see what kind of hours she was doing.

Reactions: 2
It’s definitely going to be a rollercoaster of a trial. I started off thinking she had to be guilty. Now of course I’ve realised we don’t know the half of what’s to come, hence why there’s 6 months of evidence to hear. Like everyone keeps saying you just can’t imagine what those parents are going through. I also really feel for all the staff having to work in that service whilst those infants died it must’ve traumatised them too.

Reactions: 8
I worked in a different healthcare setting and everyone was very aware of the rules of the EWT directive. Occasionally the rules were breached but not often.
Surely, if you’re aware of the rules and you still consent to doing it then some of the onus must be on you? I’d be pointing out to my manager, by email, that it was against the rules and then if they still wanted me to do it the onus would be on them.

Yes definitely…jobs like this, the police etc, if you’re that kind of person, and you want power and control over the vulnerable, to exploit, it’s a great way to do it

Reactions: 8
But surely it’s your choice to work above your contracted hours so the onus is on you.

Reactions: 1
That they did not pursue a conviction for that charge doesn't mean they got anything wrong - it just means they didn't have sufficient evidence to secure a conviction.
The bar is set really high, if there is not a good likelihood of a successful prosecution they will not proceed with the charge.

Oh yes, the onus would be on the person who did overtime BUT people feel pressured bc if they don’t take overtime then there’s no one there to look after the patients. When I did that 7-11 shift I couldn’t leave because I had a patient who extremely unwell and there was only one nurse for an entire ward on the night shift - what was I meant to do? Walk out and leave one nurse to look after an entire ward and a very poorly patient (they finally sent someone to help at 11 hence me leaving) The NICU in this case was at 23% staffing capacity so I imagine people were pressured to do overtime. It shouldn’t happen but it does, hospitals are desperate, screaming out for staff.

Reactions: 11
Just because they got it wrong doesn’t mean she didn’t do it though. It’s quite hard to prove.
It wasn’t thrown out as it didn’t go through the due court process. I think the CPS or prosecution can decide to drop the case as there is not enough evidence to proceed, in that particular case the baby was transferred to another hospital and died there.
It has no bearing on the other cases as in these instances it is thought there is enough evidence to proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Yes I completely agree with this scenario. I believe it was suggested by a few people & they were ignored by those higher not wanting to draw attention to the failures of the hospital. I just meant before that I imagine looking back, more people probably weren’t comfortable with certain things but at the time they pushed that thought out of their head. I do believe initially it was thought to be incompetence but like you say, why they’d then put her in charge of a student?! Baffling

I imagine it’s got even worse after the pandemic and Brexit (I know Lucy was pre both of these I’m just saying in general). It’s scary what goes on. If that unit was operating at 23% capacity it begs the question should it have been allowed to be open? Is that safe for patients?!! Shouldn’t they have been required to go to a unit elsewhere that was appropriately staffed! So many questions.

Reactions: 10
I can see how you’d feel you had to stay, as you were already there, in that instance. I would have done the same.
I used to feel not pressure, but an obligation to cover other shifts. Then I just stopped doing it. I realised it wasn’t my problem.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.