Lucy Jane Wood

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another YouTube video, another ad
And you really need to hover over the title to see - exhibit A attached. No "AD" on thumbnail. Like, when I see a new vid from someone I like, I just click on it to watch, especially if the person doesn't post as much any more.
All I ask for is that I can make an informed decision. I am happy to watch a sponsored vid - I just need to know it's sponsored. How about putting "AD" before the title or ALSO on the thumbnail? I never used to think Lucy was one of the sneaky ones but she's changed so much, I am also not surprised.
Untitled.png

[Double post, lots of catching up on tattle today]
I’m definitely a Lucy fan, but I do notice the ads on her Instagram stories seem to last over about five stories which is a bit annoying
I actually noticed she also had an AD on Stories, like how does that work? Does the brand pay for it to go there, or does the influencer? If it's influencer, how does it work for Lucy who makes so little money, she had to wait months to start thinking about redoing the bathroom?
Screenshot_20210217-220102.png

Screenshot_20210217-220051.png

Reactions: 5
I think it’s influencers who pay for it themselves, because that way it bumps the amount of people who viewed it. It’s not that expensive either, you can spend as much or as little as you want.

Reactions: 2
The person/brand advertising is the one who is billed by Facebook, but they could be being paid by their sponsor to do this. I noticed more and more influencers are doing this now, it's quite a recent development. I think the sponsors are asking for this now as part of the brief.

Using paid ads you can really drill into who you want to target and it doesn't need to be their followers either, it can reach people well beyond that. So can be a win win for both influencer and the sponsor, as influencer gets more followers and sponsor gets more eyes of very similar audience to Lucy's on their product.

• Heart
Another video, another #ad.

Also, with a bathroom that tiny, I don't understand why she's pushing to have a huge tub in there where she could be saving space with a walk in shower? I get wanting to have the spa nights of your own but it just seems like a waste of space to me. I remember her saying that a modern walk in shower etc bathroom wouldn't go with the "style" of the rest of the house but judging from the 3D models, this one is hardly the 70s vibe she thinks she's going for either. It just looks like your bog standard modern basic bathroom to me.

Reactions: 7
Another video, another #ad.

Also, with a bathroom that tiny, I don't understand why she's pushing to have a huge tub in there where she could be saving space with a walk in shower? I get wanting to have the spa nights of your own but it just seems like a waste of space to me. I remember her saying that a modern walk in shower etc bathroom wouldn't go with the "style" of the rest of the house but judging from the 3D models, this one is hardly the 70s vibe she thinks she's going for either. It just looks like your bog standard modern basic bathroom to me.
She explained awhile ago and I can’t remember what video it was in, I think it’s the resale value or something, and then obviously she’s mentioned about the plumping too

Watched the video last night and didn't hate it but didn't fully enjoy either, if it makes sense?

I was kind of surprised what the AD was for. I was fully waiting for another hey estrid or frank body (Btw I have seen some of that frank body stuff in Boots - whoa, it's pricey stuff!).

Regarding the bathroom. I understand them not wanting to sacrifice the small garden. But I would personally hold out until I have enough money and extend both bathroom and kitchen. It seems like this is not their forever home, so what does it matter if they have to live with a smaller garden for a few years? I would rather have a decent size bathroom with a layout that works for me and I am happy with, and slightly bigger kitchen. Adam loves to cook and he'd probably be happier with a bigger kitchen. I imagine extending both rooms and changing layout significantly (possibly even moving the bathroom wall so it's not a thin narrow room but maybe more of a box shape?) would probably cost thousands but she already sucked it up once and did more sponsored content when they were saving for a deposit - just suck it up again and stop complaining how limited the options are :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
Watched the video last night and didn't hate it but didn't fully enjoy either, if it makes sense?

I was kind of surprised what the AD was for. I was fully waiting for another hey estrid or frank body (Btw I have seen some of that frank body stuff in Boots - whoa, it's pricey stuff!).

Regarding the bathroom. I understand them not wanting to sacrifice the small garden. But I would personally hold out until I have enough money and extend both bathroom and kitchen. It seems like this is not their forever home, so what does it matter if they have to live with a smaller garden for a few years? I would rather have a decent size bathroom with a layout that works for me and I am happy with, and slightly bigger kitchen. Adam loves to cook and he'd probably be happier with a bigger kitchen. I imagine extending both rooms and changing layout significantly (possibly even moving the bathroom wall so it's not a thin narrow room but maybe more of a box shape?) would probably cost thousands but she already sucked it up once and did more sponsored content when they were saving for a deposit - just suck it up again and stop complaining how limited the options are :rolleyes:
Unless they wouldn’t be able to get planning permission from their council? They could have explored that too? But I agree just focus on what you want to do and don’t give excuses all the time lol

She also said the concrete floor significantly limited the options in terms of layout, just pay to rip it up! I had to have my old concrete kitchen floor ripped up and relaid as it was damp, it wasn’t that big of a deal!

RE: Frank Body prices - all these brands doing the rounds with influencers tend to be expensive cos they gotta cover the AD budget somehow.

As a general rule I won’t buy/have stopped buying anything doing the rounds with the influencers (Estrid and Wild deodorant seriously need to piss off), cos I know the budget to cover those adverts is built into the cost of the product and a high price doesn’t necessarily mean the product is any better!

Anyway, to make my post on-topic: it feels like Lucy only really bothers with YouTube now if there’s an AD in it for her and it’s seriously boring me now.

• Sad
Unless they wouldn’t be able to get planning permission from their council? They could have explored that too? But I agree just focus on what you want to do and don’t give excuses all the time lol
Oh I suppose the planning permission would cost money and this is something Lucy doesn't seem to like to part with. I guess I just can't anymore with people buying expensive houses and then being surprised that refurb/changes will cost a ton. Like Anna (Anna Edit) buying a house for nearly 1 million and complaining how cold it is and having to buy an electric blanket to stay warm :rolleyes:

Not sure the rounded bath is right for the space. Surely that’s just a odd empty space that’s gonna be difficult to clean behind and in the corner, a rectangular bath like what is the fits the space better I’d have though. It’s not gonna be a proper family house that you’d be concerned about losing a bath for future small children. I’d have gone for the big walk in shower, no bath.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Not sure the rounded bath is right for the space. Surely that’s just a odd empty space that’s gonna be difficult to clean behind and in the corner, a rectangular bath like what is the fits the space better I’d have though. It’s not gonna be a proper family house that you’d be concerned about losing a bath for future small children. I’d have gone for the big walk in shower, no bath.
We are renting our place and the bath is square so all good there but cleaning behind the sink pedestal and the toilet IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE 😬 I think she likes the idea of the free standing bath but hasn't given thought to the practical side of it. (Or she has a cleaner)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We are renting our place and the bath is square so all good there but cleaning behind the sink pedestal and the toilet IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE 😬 I think she likes the idea of the free standing bath but hasn't given thought to the practical side of it. (Or she has a cleaner)
Maybe I’m officially old! 😂 but trying to clean round it in such a narrow space was my first thought. In a big space I like the look of those baths, but you’ll need to be able to get a mop around it without crawling on your hands and knees.

• Heart
Maybe I’m officially old! 😂 but trying to clean round it in such a narrow space was my first thought. In a big space I like the look of those baths, but you’ll need to be able to get a mop around it without crawling on your hands and knees.
I thought the same. Also the layout looks nice in the design tool, but in real life they're gonna need a shower curtain which will take up space. A tub flush against the wall with a glass screen would work better.

Reactions: 6
I actually do enjoy Lucy's videos, she's one of the only youtubers I've managed to find somewhat relatable (even though buying in Zone 2 London is never going to happen for me so not fully relatable) but I get the vibe that she makes her home decisions based on what looks good for her 'aesthetic' on instagram and not what's practical in the space

Like the free standing bath and the fridge

Reactions: 12
Life is so hard, so dramatic. Christ she grates on me so much.

I've been feeling this way so much towards her lately which is a shame as I used to genuinely enjoy her content. Now she only bothers when there's an ad or acting she's so hard done by and can't afford anything.

And you really need to hover over the title to see - exhibit A attached. No "AD" on thumbnail. Like, when I see a new vid from someone I like, I just click on it to watch, especially if the person doesn't post as much any more.
All I ask for is that I can make an informed decision. I am happy to watch a sponsored vid - I just need to know it's sponsored. How about putting "AD" before the title or ALSO on the thumbnail? I never used to think Lucy was one of the sneaky ones but she's changed so much, I am also not surprised.
Untitled.png

[Double post, lots of catching up on tattle today
She used to be decent when doing ads. She used to put AD on the thumbnail so it was clear that it was one. Now she hides it at the end of a long title and it really pisses me off especially since pretty much every video is an AD.

I guess they all get greedy in the end.

I actually do enjoy Lucy's videos, she's one of the only youtubers I've managed to find somewhat relatable (even though buying in Zone 2 London is never going to happen for me so not fully relatable) but I get the vibe that she makes her home decisions based on what looks good for her 'aesthetic' on instagram and not what's practical in the space

Like the free standing bath and the fridge
You're exactly right. She's choosing what will stand out amongst the insta white and grey instead of thinking about long term practicality.

Reactions: 3
I used to not mind the ads, the thing that really bugs me is when they’re for something you see once and then she never mentions it again. Like the Disney/pandora thing. Also the ads seem to take up more and more of the “content” now and if you skip past them you end up with nothing left.

I used to find her relatable, I bought my second house around the same time as her and we’re a similar age and although my house is a lot less than hers I also earn a lot less. It seemed for a while that we were kind of doing little bits alongside each other and that was quite fun from my point of view. But then the ads took over and the relatability really went for me. Where I was enjoying seeing someone fix up something at the same sort of rate that I was and actually having to put money aside and do bits themselves was replaced by decor ads that made the makeovers quite unrealistic. The example that springs to mind is when she did a desenio ad and when I replicated it to do the same sort of thing in my house it was around £300 which is just not achievable in my opinion.

it’s a shame as I still really like her personality and her non-ad videos it just seems they are really few and far between now, I’ve found myself binging a lot of her old videos as I still really enjoy them.

Also not to be too technical about it but if she’s extending the kitchen and not the bathroom it could be to do with the placement of the main waste stack which is right next to the toilet, she might not be able to extend that room out further if it would mean it sits over a manhole or sewer pipe. It’s the same reason we can’t extend ours, we moved our toilet anyway and then paid the price when our bathroom flooded with sewage 🤮

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Louise13 - I don't believe they will extend the kitchen either. I was trying to say that if I were in their situation, had the money and it were technically possible, I would extend the back of the house and have bigger kitchen and bathroom BUT I don't believe that's what they're doing.
Good luck with your renovation and you should definitely be proud to be able to buy a house and do it up thanks to your own hard work 🙌