Loose Women #5

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not a major fan of Sophie, but I will say it takes much more effort to be a wheelchair user than to walk.

I have a lifelong condition that has often requires wheelchair use, it is non-negotiable as I literally cannot stand or walk at all during this time.
My experience is that people often think you can “just stand-up/pop out for a second” whilst they figure out the logistics of getting you into a space. The painful truth is that I essentially become housebound to avoid these awkward scenarios rather than face obstructions everywhere I go (the uk is not as accessible as we like to think).
One day, the intensive treatment and therapy may not be enough to get me standing and knowing the life that would be ahead of me fills me with dread. In the Middle East, they call us “people of determination” and that is a much more accurate description than disabled.

It is fantastic what Nicolas Hamilton has achieved, but this interview was clumsy and from a place of privilege that not all wheelchair users have.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So she’s saying he should consign himself to his wheelchair - even if it makes him miserable - because it sends the wrong message for him to want to be able to walk?

And as for her clipping him for using words she doesn’t like…

I’ve really gone off her now. I can understand how things may seem different from her perspective but I really don’t know what she expects.

Reactions: 2
I am able bodied. I have some sympathy for what she is saying. He had a choice to not use a wheelchair, that is contrary to her experience. She can’t just rise up and using grit and determination, she is paralysed. No amount of grit and determination will get her moving. The same will be true for many, probably the majority of wheelchair users. He also used the word lazy relying on a wheelchair. However, others have no choice and it can feed into a negative trope that some wheelchair uses are idle rather than needy.

But he is not a spokesperson for disabled issues in the same way that she is. He was just telling his story. He meant no harm. And Judi meant no harm either - she treated him the same way she would treat any other fit guy - a bit of a comedy leer - equality leering! If I were Judi I would be annoyed at that.

I think she might go on LW to talk about it. She will certainly be talking to production about it.

I quite like her. She can be snippy at time but no more than gobby Denise or moany Colleen. She has been dealt a hard set of cards to navigate life with and she is dealing with it magnificently. She has a good career plus she has global recognition as a leading figure dealing with disabilities, she was recently at a White House event.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think it’s worth remembering that Nicholas was born with his disability, whereas Sophie was a young adult when she had her accident.

Only Nicholas spent his formative years disabled. Sophie didn’t have to deal with the cruelty of other kids and navigating the playground as a disabled kid. The things that happen to you as a child stay with you for life.

Their life experiences will be entirely different. People don’t need to be reminded that disabled people have different sets of limitations.

I can somewhat understand where she’s coming from, but why can’t people just speak freely nowadays without caveats and calls for impartiality when people are talking about their own life experiences.

I don’t think her rant is proportionate.

Reactions: 10
She’s saying he shouldn’t say things as it’s not the experience for all disabled people, but in the same rant is saying she’s speaking on behalf of all disabled people herself (at least that’s the way it comes across) and that’s the bit which jars with me.

Reactions: 7
I think it’s worth remembering that Nicholas was born with his disability, whereas Sophie was a young adult when she had her accident.

Only Nicholas spent his formative years disabled. Sophie didn’t have to deal with the cruelty of other kids and navigating the playground as a disabled kid. The things that happen to you as a child stay with you for life.

Their life experiences will be entirely different. People don’t need to be reminded that disabled people have different sets of limitations.

I can somewhat understand where she’s coming from, but why can’t people just speak freely nowadays without caveats and calls for impartiality when people are talking about their own life experiences.

I don’t think her rant is proportionate.
I watched the programme and winced momentarily, but went on with my life not giving it another thought until I saw Sophie’s rant. This maybe because I am not currently using my wheelchair, but it may also be because I saw Nicolas on another show and it didn’t come across quite the same way.

Sophie maybe more upset because she works on the programme (where they make temporary adjustments to the set for her) or maybe it is because she is just tired. Like I said, I have a tendency to hide away when I need to use my chair but Sophie doesn’t have that choice unless she wants to stay at home forever.

I must admit when I tend to switch off when I hear and see these types of rants, IMHO she would have been better speaking to LW and then speaking about the outcome after.

Reactions: 1
I think she had a point, I was more curious about how vocal she was being in opposition of who is effectively her employer. She's even commented on the original clip on the Loose Women social media calling Loose Women ableist and pointing out to everyone that she asked them to take it down and they refused. I'll be absolutely fascinated to see how it plays out.

Reactions: 7
Doing life before loose today
Colleen looked proper jealous of Christine when she was taking about her tv work

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Could only stomach a few minutes of the interview with Esther Ghey because I don’t like how a vulnerable child has been turned into a martyr and I can’t get behind parents who allow their gay sons to pretend they’re daughters.

But bleeping Kelle telling her that she was in a “safe space” was enough to make me want to throw up. She’s on bleeping Loose Women sat next to Judi Love and Denise Squelch!

• Heart
Reactions: 2