Loneliness

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love the idea of this thread!
Does anyone have any advice on dealing with loneliness when living alone?

I’ve just bought my first house on my own and should be moving in the next couple of months. I left my ex husband almost 3 years ago. It wasn’t a nice relationship and I was very isolated even then. The few friends I have, have kids or families of their own and don’t always have the time or want me tagging along. I’m also pretty shy and struggle to talk to new people.
My kids are grown and my husband travels a lot. I joined (by accident) a book club and I started going to pilates (with a cup of coffee afterwards). It worked for me, it’s not exciting but it gives me things to do and connect with people, otherwise I’d go days without talking to anyone.

Reactions: 2
I think I’ve come to the realisation, I am lonely.

I’m 22 still live at home, and I have no friends. The only friend I did have moved to Cornwall so now I literally have no one to do anything with. Because I’m waiting to start a new job atm, the only time I really leave the house is if I go food shopping with my parents at the weekend. Literally that’s my plans every week. And I want to make friends, but I don’t know how or where to even start. I’m quite shy, so just walking up to people is something I could never do.

None of my friends have ever stuck around, and I’m starting to wonder if it’s me. Throughout sixth form I didn’t have friends, and the only people I really spoke to where at my job at the time and they were all older ladies. Then uni happened and I made a friend (the one who lives in Cornwall) but now She’s gone and I’m 22 left uni in 2020 and haven’t made a single friend since.

Does anyone have any advice?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am very lonely. I have been for a long time but it’s gotten worse since I entered my 20s. I have finally talked to my GP and made steps to getting into a hobby and work. I hope it helps.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@altgirl @BaileyMC have you looked at meetup? I've found a few groups near to me for 20/30s, 30/40s and one for a local town which do lots of things like bowling, murder mystery nights, curry nights, watching bands or just a walk. I can't make any of the meetups because of the kids 🙃

@altgirl @BaileyMC have you looked at meetup? I've found a few groups near to me for 20/30s, 30/40s and one for a local town which do lots of things like bowling, murder mystery nights, curry nights, watching bands or just a walk. I can't make any of the meetups because of the kids 🙃
Thanks I will have a look at this now. ☺

I’m feeling really lonely at the moment. That I’ve hardly got any friends. The friends I do have relationships so they can go home, and have someone, an automatic plus one etc.

I’ve moved cities 4 years and always worried that the friends I do have, don’t wanna be friends with me anymore and I don’t have friends in my home town either. No husband/boyfriend, no kids- live in a houseshare 😩

• Heart
I’ve never felt so alone in all my life. I suffered a miscarriage last week and I just feel so alone. I moved to a different town with my bf and all my friends live back in the city I’m from, same with my family. But I don’t feel like I can text them and tell them how I feel. My boyfriend works a lot, and into the night so the nights have been lonely and I don’t see him. we have a two year old and when he’s in bed at night I just fall apart and cry. I have no one to talk to. I really have never felt so alone. It’s suffocating

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve never felt so alone in all my life. I suffered a miscarriage last week and I just feel so alone. I moved to a different town with my bf and all my friends live back in the city I’m from, same with my family. But I don’t feel like I can text them and tell them how I feel. My boyfriend works a lot, and into the night so the nights have been lonely and I don’t see him. we have a two year old and when he’s in bed at night I just fall apart and cry. I have no one to talk to. I really have never felt so alone. It’s suffocating
Firstly I’m so sorry you had a miscarriage, I can’t imagine how your feeling. And in regards to moving away I can’t imagine that is making things any better. I don’t want to say the wrong thing, but have you tried talking to friends and family? I’m sure they would be willing to talk and listen to how you truly feel. It always feels better once people are able to talk to someone about how their truly feeling. Whether that’s friends, family, a partner or a professional. It might be scary thinking about doing so but you may feel a lot lighter sharing how you are feeling right now

Reactions: 1
I’m feeling really lonely at the moment. That I’ve hardly got any friends. The friends I do have relationships so they can go home, and have someone, an automatic plus one etc.

I’ve moved cities 4 years and always worried that the friends I do have, don’t wanna be friends with me anymore and I don’t have friends in my home town either. No husband/boyfriend, no kids- live in a houseshare 😩
I hear you. I live in a different country, it's fairly transient and a lot of people are fake, flaky or have a duck ton of issues - so not really my kind of people. I met a lovely friend only for her to move back home.
I hit a milestone birthday a few days ago, I don't own my own property, no partner, and no baby which is depressing at times as most people I know have at least one of those things. I've a few friends back in the UK but after something traumatic that happened in my life I had to cut a lot of people out of my life (including my family). I've come to the realisation that I am happier alone unless I'm in the company of the 'right' people. I lead quite a boring life but at least it's drama free. :D I don't have the energy to 'look' for relationships ..

Just want you all to know that you're not alone and sometimes it's better to be selfish and think of what YOU want from life rather than wasting time on others where it isn't always reciprocated. ❤

I hear you. I live in a different country, it's fairly transient and a lot of people are fake, flaky or have a duck ton of issues - so not really my kind of people. I met a lovely friend only for her to move back home.
I hit a milestone birthday a few days ago, I don't own my own property, no partner, and no baby which is depressing at times as most people I know have at least one of those things. I've a few friends back in the UK but after something traumatic that happened in my life I had to cut a lot of people out of my life (including my family). I've come to the realisation that I am happier alone unless I'm in the company of the 'right' people. I lead quite a boring life but at least it's drama free. :D I don't have the energy to 'look' for relationships ..

Just want you all to know that you're not alone and sometimes it's better to be selfish and think of what YOU want from life rather than wasting time on others where it isn't always reciprocated. ❤
thank you this means a lot to me ❤❤ i think I’m suffering from depression/anxiety episode. I’m gonna go to the doctors, get some happy pills abd then change my attitude 😘 xx

• Heart
How is everyone tonight? I decided to go back to a boogie bounce class on Tuesday. Get moving and I became friendly with one of the girls there, so I'm hoping she'll be there on Tuesday. It's hard to get a spot each week but at least I'm doing it.

• Heart
I hope it's ok for me to join in, I feel really lonely at the moment and just need somewhere to vent. Whenever I tell my bf I feel lonely he always says he doesn't understand how and then goes on to list all the people I have in my life. He doesn't seem to understand that you can be surrounded by people and still feel so alone. I sit in on my own most nights as he works late most nights (his own choice to do so as he's self employed). It's really getting me down and some nights I just sit and cry about how alone I am. I don't feel like I really have anybody to talk to as I feel like a burden on people when they already have so much going on themselves. Nobody ever asks me to do anything, if I ever meet with a friend or family it's because I've arranged it. It then makes me feel like there must be something wrong with me, that people don't enjoy my company and so forth. Honestly, this feeling is taking over everything and I just feel so down all the time. Even my own boyfriend doesn't wanna spend the evenings with me when we've both been at work all day, he'd rather come home, eat his dinner then shoot straight back off to work, is my company really that bad :(

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Firstly I’m so sorry you had a miscarriage, I can’t imagine how your feeling. And in regards to moving away I can’t imagine that is making things any better. I don’t want to say the wrong thing, but have you tried talking to friends and family? I’m sure they would be willing to talk and listen to how you truly feel. It always feels better once people are able to talk to someone about how their truly feeling. Whether that’s friends, family, a partner or a professional. It might be scary thinking about doing so but you may feel a lot lighter sharing how you are feeling right now
Thank you for replying! Sorry for taking so long to respond my head has been all over the place. I have spoken to friends and family but when I mention my miscarriage it sort of just gets an ‘aw’ or a ‘sorry that happened’ then it gets moved on to something else. I know there’s not much they can say but I just feel so upset & alone all the time and feel like I’ve got no one I can talk to about how I’m really feeling. My boyfriend works a lot and when I do tell him how I’m feeling he’s sort of just like ‘well we’ve got one kid so you shouldn’t be that upset’ so I think he thinks what we’ve been through isn’t that much of a big deal… so I feel like I can’t speak to him about how im feeling 😞 honestly I’ve never felt so alone in my life! I do think I might need to speak to my GP because ever since it happened my mood just keeps getting worse and worse
Thank you for replying ❤

• Heart
I'm my own worse enemy when it comes to loneliness, I've had friends I've got close to in the past and each and everyone have managed to use me to the point I call off the friendship, I'm so wary of people, I don't see myself in a good light anyway and its sad I don't think I'll ever have a close friendship again, I have groups I chat in, I talk to people daily but it takes so much to actually feel like I can trust someone, I don't see myself worthy of friendship a lot of the time as I said I don't see myself in a good light, really need to work on that!

• Heart
I'm my own worse enemy when it comes to loneliness, I've had friends I've got close to in the past and each and everyone have managed to use me to the point I call off the friendship, I'm so wary of people, I don't see myself in a good light anyway and its sad I don't think I'll ever have a close friendship again, I have groups I chat in, I talk to people daily but it takes so much to actually feel like I can trust someone, I don't see myself worthy of friendship a lot of the time as I said I don't see myself in a good light, really need to work on that!
I can relate to this in some ways. I think I've been stung in the past so now I am overly cautious and don't tend to let people in easily. It feels like a double edged sword - feeling lonely because you've not got anyone, but feeling too scared to let people in anyway

I’m about to move into my own place next week and I have mixed emotions. I’m SO excited but I’m also nervous about feeling more lonely than ever.

I don’t really see my friend anymore as she has a new group she sees more because of her children (I don’t have kids) and a guy I was close to has really distanced himself for about a month now and barely talks even when I reach out.

Maybe it’s a bit selfish of me but I really wanted someone to be truly happy and excited for me to finally have my own place after leaving my ex a few years ago and moving back to my parents. I feel like shutting myself away so it’s on my terms, to try and turn off my feelings somehow so I wouldn’t notice the loneliness so much if that makes any sense?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I hope it's ok for me to join in, I feel really lonely at the moment and just need somewhere to vent. Whenever I tell my bf I feel lonely he always says he doesn't understand how and then goes on to list all the people I have in my life. He doesn't seem to understand that you can be surrounded by people and still feel so alone. I sit in on my own most nights as he works late most nights (his own choice to do so as he's self employed). It's really getting me down and some nights I just sit and cry about how alone I am. I don't feel like I really have anybody to talk to as I feel like a burden on people when they already have so much going on themselves. Nobody ever asks me to do anything, if I ever meet with a friend or family it's because I've arranged it. It then makes me feel like there must be something wrong with me, that people don't enjoy my company and so forth. Honestly, this feeling is taking over everything and I just feel so down all the time. Even my own boyfriend doesn't wanna spend the evenings with me when we've both been at work all day, he'd rather come home, eat his dinner then shoot straight back off to work, is my company really that bad :(
Reading this sounds like i had written it myself 4/5 years ago. In a relationship and living with my ex, yet feeling so lonely and hardly spending tome together. Friends busy in their own relationships and having babies. We broke up for other reasons and i was devastated and didn’t know how i would cope alone. But surprisingly being single i felt less lonely, i seemed to meet more people, joined the gym and felt happier than ever. I’m not saying you should end the relationship but to think about if your boyfriend and the relationship really makes you happy. Have a serious chat with him about how you feel and maybe he will understand and start spending more time with you. If he doesn’t change then you really need to have a think if you want to put up with that because there is more to life than being sat at home feeling that way x

• Heart
I do sometimes get lonely because I live alone and im single but I do have great friends and people I work with who I see on a regular basis.
It breaks my heart to read how many on here are lonely. Im a stranger but if anyone want you can, if possible, sent me a message on here if you want.

I know it´s hard to make new friends but maybe not focus on making friends but just seeing a regular group of people once a week?
I dont know where everyone lives and if mental healthy wise you're up for it but maybe enroll in courses that last a few weeks, like 6 weeks or so? Not to make friends but to socialize and have something to look forward to. I know when you're lonely it just gets harder to do these things because you might be in a dark place.

I dont want to be a know it all, I just hope you all find a bit of comfort and find your way. Take care!

• Heart
I was thinking about my loneliness tonight and this thread. And I want to ask a question which I hope might make us feel better? Anyway, what do you think will make us feel better about loneliness? Like, if someone said XYZ would make you feel better, what would your XYZ would be? Xx

I’m usually a loner who’s too busy to get lonely but this time of year makes it hard. I’ve had a tough day and reached out to my mum for support who decided to be childish so feel even worse now for bothering. I’ve got no one else and feel like I’ll always be alone. I don’t let people in and am not some oddball, I’m just reserved because of my childhood. I’ve tried groups and stuff in the past but never get anywhere. The only thing I can do when I feel like this is ride it out but it’s hard.

• Heart