Line of Duty #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
thank you! I just think of that actor in Rita, Sue and Bob Too which take away from the crime boss aura somewhat.
I can’t get past the Bob character. Same when I watched him in happy valley I just saw the sleaze guy sleeping with his babysitters 😂

Reactions: 5
On reflection, I like the ending.I didn’t at first, but it made me think about why I was disappointed and that can be a good thing. It didn’t deliver the ending I desired- I think he’s being a bit brave/stupid in emphasising that we can’t expect a ‘TV‘ ending if we want the reality of this topic.

I think the point he’s trying to make is that institutionalised corruption is just that- institutionalised! It thrives on low-level deliberate incompetence and greed, often from people who don‘t even know, and don’t care, who the order is coming from. There is a worrying lack of interest from politicians to place the spotlight on police corruption when required- it ain’t a vote winner and how sad that this is what drives them.

It’s almost impossible to pin down an individual, and even if you do, there simply isn’t some top-level Dr.Evil- it’s not that intentional. It’s a hodpodge mix of loads of different street-level crime networks that have links to the police and other organisations, who sometimes work together over a long period for a range of different objectives that often shift over time, but sometimes work on random projects that are ‘one-off’ based on personal vendettas. Too complex to ever pin on an individual? Intentionally so?

You’re meant to be disappointed, the typed out commentary at the end is akin to a documentary- the point is that this is alive and well, and yet still there is no desire to genuinely address it! I like that he’s invoking us to be angry about it! It’s a bloody joke.
I understand all that but..... It is a drama! It is not a documentary! Some of it might be based on true events but it's still fiction! That's why people are disappointed. We didn't get the drama in season finale of a drama show!

Reactions: 14
On reflection, I like the ending.I didn’t at first, but it made me think about why I was disappointed and that can be a good thing. It didn’t deliver the ending I desired- I think he’s being a bit brave/stupid in emphasising that we can’t expect a ‘TV‘ ending if we want the reality of this topic.

I think the point he’s trying to make is that institutionalised corruption is just that- institutionalised! It thrives on low-level deliberate incompetence and greed, often from people who don‘t even know, and don’t care, who the order is coming from. There is a worrying lack of interest from politicians to place the spotlight on police corruption when required- it ain’t a vote winner and how sad that this is what drives them.

It’s almost impossible to pin down an individual, and even if you do, there simply isn’t some top-level Dr.Evil- it’s not that intentional. It’s a hodpodge mix of loads of different street-level crime networks that have links to the police and other organisations, who sometimes work together over a long period for a range of different objectives that often shift over time, but sometimes work on random projects that are ‘one-off’ based on personal vendettas. Too complex to ever pin on an individual? Intentionally so?

You’re meant to be disappointed, the typed out commentary at the end is akin to a documentary- the point is that this is alive and well, and yet still there is no desire to genuinely address it! I like that he’s invoking us to be angry about it! It’s a bloody joke.
I understand the point but I don't agree.

These last few months can surely have left nobody in any doubt about the existence of banal corruption at the highest level. I don't need to be reminded about that as entertainment. The show isn't any kind of documentary and has never been about 'reality'. We've had 6 series where multiple 'unreal' things happen in every episode where if you didn't suspend your disbelief you would have to find it totally ridiculous. To be asked to throw all that away in the last 15 minutes because the writer suddenly wants to go for sober realism is, I think insulting and pointless

Secondly I don't want real 'reality' in what is supposed to be entertainment. I want the goodies winning and the baddies getting their just deserts. Especially in a show like LoD which has constantly traded on delivering justice. Otherwise let's look forward to detective shows that spend weeks investigating a murder and just ending with the crime unsolved.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
It actually would have been quite nice and hopeful to see honesty and integrity win in the end

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So is Buckles H or a caddy? Are the 4 H’s all caddies? So they haven’t caught the top dog yet they’ve just caught the fourth man/caddy? And the one behind all of this is the ginger/grey welsh bloke that hates Steve, right? Is that what’s going on?

Reactions: 4
So is Buckles H or a caddy? Are the 4 H’s all caddies? So they haven’t caught the top dog yet they’ve just caught the fourth man/caddy? And the one behind all of this is the ginger/grey welsh bloke that hates Steve, right? Is that what’s going on?
they are all caddies

h has been caught - stood for hillside

there is no top guy - after Tommy Hunter was killed OCG operated independent siloes. Buckells was the fourth caddy but now he is caught likely someone will take his place

Reactions: 2
they are all caddies

h has been caught - stood for hillside

there is no top guy - after Tommy Hunter was killed OCG operated independent siloes. Buckells was the fourth caddy but now he is caught likely someone will take his place
Ah ok. When did they say H stood for hillside?

Ah ok. When did they say H stood for hillside?
I need to rewatch maybe I made it up 🙈🙈🙈🙈 that’s what I think H stands for. They always new something was going to happen at hillside as that is where jo Davison was posted

• Haha
I need to rewatch maybe I made it up 🙈🙈🙈🙈 that’s what I think H stands for. They always new something was going to happen at hillside as that is where jo Davison was posted
I saw that on here but it would make sense. Don’t think they ever confirmed it but it seems obvious

Reactions: 1
20210503_190559.jpg

Did anyone else notice one of the top comments on Martin Compston's IG post? He's Martins tailor apparently and I think he kits our WWW in the famous waistcoats on the show. Seems to suggest a series 7 👀

• Wow
Reactions: 10
View attachment 557934

Did anyone else notice one of the top comments on Martin Compston's IG post? He's Martins tailor apparently and I think he kits our WWW in the famous waistcoats on the show. Seems to suggest a series 7 👀
I’m late to these threads, what does WWW stand for?! I hope there’s another series! Too many unanswered questions!

ETA seen it answered above!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.