Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I failed šŸ˜ž nerves got the better of me, I hope next time I feel more prepared šŸ¤žšŸ¼
Well done though, hopefully next time those nerves will ease up a bit.
Youā€™ll have company soon anyway, itā€™s mine tomorrow and I have no hopes for a good result.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My doctor has prescribed me a beta blocker. Has anyone had any experience with them?
good luck tomorrow @judsmum

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Well done though, hopefully next time those nerves will ease up a bit.
Youā€™ll have company soon anyway, itā€™s mine tomorrow and I have no hopes for a good result.
Good luck šŸ€ I hope you pass! think positive ā¤

Aw sorry to hear this. You will pass, just today wasnā€™t the day for you. Well done for getting through it x
Thank you šŸ’“ I hope so xx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Good luck for tomorrow @judsmum! Thank you everyone for this thread, everyone I know can drive and I feel like the odd one out. Itā€™s really nice to share my experiences and read others too šŸ™‚

• Heart
Hi everyone

I started my lessons again last Sunday. I have a new instructor and she is a lovely, gentle Ecuadorian lady with the most relaxing voice and demeanour.

even though I have had multiple lessons previously no one taught me about ā€œpush pullā€ steering! We spent the whole lesson working on this and steering wheel control and I was shocked no one else had shown me. The discrepancy between each instructor can be huge!

Anyway, I got the hang of it by the end of the lesson but felt so stupid at the beginning when I couldnā€™t grasp it that I had to fight back tears! How ridiculous. I think I just feel so ashamed that I canā€™t yet drive that if the slightest thing goes wrong my mind screams at me that Iā€™m too stupid to do it.

At the end of the lesson my instructor said to me I am a fast learner and I have to stop telling myself I canā€™t do it because I can. Sheā€™s a lovely lady, I really feel good about seeing her. Next lesson is on Saturday. My plan is to be passed by the end of the year - I feel determined this time! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 5
This really resonated with me!
me too.
So, I am sat on my bed, on my own in floods of tears because in 3 hours my instructor is coming for me and in five hours Iā€™ll have failed. I honestly donā€™t think I can remember a thing that Iā€™m supposed to do. Iā€™m bleeping furious with myself.

• Heart
It took me years to learn! I actually passed first time in a manual car but as soon as I passed I lost all my confidence and didn't drive for years. I've recently started driving again and I have an automatic and its so much easier! Driving doesn't come naturally to me at all and I don't enjoy it but I have to take my daughter to nursery. It upsets me sometimes that I'm so reliant on my husband as I won't drive far away.

Hey guys, I started learning to drive once lessons started again, ten years later than my peers, and Iā€™ve never been more terrified - I first had lessons 4 years ago and I felt like my instructor threw me in the deep end, it was terrifying, I had a panic attack and never went back. Fortunately now I have a brilliant instructor whoā€™s really worked on my confidence and weā€™ve booked my test for end of November! For someone whoā€™s had a decade of anxiety issues and months of therapy, itā€™s something I didnā€™t see happening.
One thing thatā€™s actually really helping me keep a handle on the nerves is knowing that no one in my immediate circle passed first time - and because Iā€™ve paid for all my lessons thereā€™s no additional pressure if I donā€™t. Just because I failed something, doesnā€™t make me a failure (and trust me that one was a lot of therapy to learn too).
me too.
So, I am sat on my bed, on my own in floods of tears because in 3 hours my instructor is coming for me and in five hours Iā€™ll have failed. I honestly donā€™t think I can remember a thing that Iā€™m supposed to do. Iā€™m bleeping furious with myself.
Judsmum Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re so scared and sending you a big, Covid compliant, virtual hug. The only advice I can offer is that your instructor wouldnā€™t be letting you take the test if they didnā€™t think you were ready. You are therefore clearly a safe and competent driver, and if you demonstrate that you should pass. If you donā€™t pass, you can try again, itā€™s not reflective of you as a person. Thereā€™s a lot of us in here in the same boat :)
My final tip is try and think what youā€™d say to a friend in your position - youā€™d be a lot kinder to them than youā€™re being to yourself.
Wishing you the best of luck, but whatever happens, youā€™re going to be OK. šŸ™‚

me too.
Thinking of you and sending lots of positive vibes your way!

Reactions: 1
me too.
I hope you get on OK xx

I failed.

only got two minors and did my manoeuvre well but there is a four lane roundabout in the city centre and a lorry was trying to get in my lane and apparently I didnā€™t move over to let him in quick enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I failed.

only got two minors and did my manoeuvre well but there is a four lane roundabout in the city centre and a lorry was trying to get in my lane and apparently I didnā€™t move over to let him in quick enough.
Gutted for you. You seem to have a lot of positives you can take forward though! Well done you for getting through it

Just because I failed something, doesnā€™t make me a failure (and trust me that one was a lot of therapy to learn too).
This a hundred times! I feel like such a tit mum because I canā€™t pick her up, I canā€™t take her to ballet (my sister goes while Iā€™m having my driving lesson), we canā€™t just go swimming or into town on my day off unless my sister is free. It sucks but it doesnā€™t make me a bar person!

Last edited:
I failed.

That appears to be a really crappy reason, but it appears you had a really good drive and are clearly very capable! 2 minors šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

• Heart
That appears to be a really crappy reason, but it appears you had a really good drive and are clearly very capable! 2 minors šŸ’ŖšŸ¼
I failed.

Youā€™ll get it next time that doesnā€™t sound too bad honestly and any competent driver could do that! Mine was way worse I had loads of marks against me but just donā€™t give up šŸ’“

• Heart
I failed.

2 minors is fantastic. Something positive to think about for your next test. Well done for getting through it x

• Heart
It sounds like very bad luck as well. Youā€™re clearly very safe with 2 minors, so next time youā€™ll smash it.

• Heart
I had a very similar experience with my first test. I was reacting to a situation and the examiner pointed it out. Because they mentioned it it was classed as examiner intervened and immediate fail! Only had 4 minors otherwise.

I think having to do the test again helped as I knew what to expect that time so I was a lot calmer, however my second test everything seemed against me (the weather, the examiner, the manoeuvres) but I passed with 3 minors

And statistically second time passers are safer drivers šŸ˜‰

My doctor has prescribed me a beta blocker. Has anyone had any experience with them?
good luck tomorrow @judsmum
Can I ask what the GP said to you? Was it your first time of speaking to them about anxiety? I really canā€™t go through this again next time.
Thank you everyone. Iā€™m so very very disappointed but iv just got booked back in again for the 19th of November. So hopefully lucky number 3

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.