Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had my second lesson after five months off (lockdown/broken leg) yesterday and it went very badly. I kept stalling at roundabouts.

My instructor is great but I feel he is losing patience with me. He told me that it was the worst I’ve ever driven. I am a nervous driver but he goes on about me being nervous which is unhelpful and a bit gas lighty as I’m usually fine nerves wise after an hour. I felt really despondent yesterday. I’m reasonably intelligent but unable to do this thing that everyone else is able to do. I find it hard to multitask in a car but can manage multi tasking brilliantly ar work!

I’m sick of learning to drive... I’ve been doing it every week for over a year. I’d sack the whole thing off of my mil wasn’t paying but I feel trapped into having to see it through to the end.

I just don’t seem to be improving. I’ve been learning to parallel park for months now and the penny hasn’t dropped.

Should I switch to automatic?!!

I’m so reassured to see others on this thread have struggled with the same issues as I have though.
I think it’s perfectly understandable after 5 months off and a broken leg to have a bad lesson. I felt so weird driving for the first time after breaking my ankle. Not very supportive of your instructor. I def don’t think it’s a reason to switch to automatic.

I passed 4th time with a brilliant instructor. Had 2 horrible ones before that, 1 shouted at me a lot and the other pushed me to go for my test When I wasn’t ready and it was an absolute tit show. If you dread your lessons and don’t feel supported find another instructor!

Well done @YorkshireFox ! Always nice to surprise yourself.
I tried to book my test last week but the system kept crashing. Hoping to book it when they reopen on Wednesday. I split the driving from Lowestoft to Swindon with my mum so drove 90 minutes ish! Did accidentally end up on the motorway at one point x
Hope you manage to get a test booked! X

I learnt in an automatic in my mid-thirties. I hated lessons, it dudnt come naturally to me. But as soon as I passed I took to it, I like driving, I like the freedom. Don't give up, if your not feeling it change instructors, like previous posters have said its luck on the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have booked a test! Well my sister booked it for me! The queue had 67,000 people in by half past eight! I got knocked out and rejoined- at the back of 200,00+ people. My sister managed to hang in there and 8hrs later she was front of the line!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have booked a test! Well my sister booked it for me! The queue had 67,000 people in by half past eight! I got knocked out and rejoined- at the back of 200,00+ people. My sister managed to hang in there and 8hrs later she was front of the line!
Good luck xx

Fab news! Let us know how it goes ☺ Can I ask how many lessons you had before you felt ‘test ready?

Reactions: 1
Fab news! Let us know how it goes ☺ Can I ask how many lessons you had before you felt ‘test ready?
I couldn’t tell you @YorkshireFox - I’ve had lessons for three years for in an auto but have had breaks for long periods because of babies and pandemics! Wish I could give you more of an idea but I’ve lost counf

How are we all getting on? My test is in less than two weeks and I can barely sleep.

Reactions: 2
Going well, thank you 🙂 I drove in traffic for the first time last week and it felt OK. Just having confusion over when to use the clutch when stopping! Hope everyone’s lessons/tests go well!

I passed my test first time in December and I honestly don't know why! I was 38 weeks pregnant at the time so desperately needed to pass but I hate it. I'm so nervous and don't ever feel like I'm in control. I've had my car for 7 months and the amount of bumps and scrapes I've had is crazy. I'm not a natural in the slightest and several times I've had a panic attack at the thought of having to drive. Ironically when I first passed I drove 249 miles to Edinburgh and it didn't phase me. The more I drive, the worse I get. People keep telling me that I'm still new (totally true and I really appreciate that) and it will get better. Good luck to all of those taking their tests. It's scary but you've got this!

I passed my test first time in December and I honestly don't know why! I was 38 weeks pregnant at the time so desperately needed to pass but I hate it. I'm so nervous and don't ever feel like I'm in control. I've had my car for 7 months and the amount of bumps and scrapes I've had is crazy. I'm not a natural in the slightest and several times I've had a panic attack at the thought of having to drive. Ironically when I first passed I drove 249 miles to Edinburgh and it didn't phase me. The more I drive, the worse I get. People keep telling me that I'm still new (totally true and I really appreciate that) and it will get better. Good luck to all of those taking their tests. It's scary but you've got this!
This is my second round trying to drive if someone hands me the keys I start shaking other ppl just seem to hop in a car and away but a driving instructor told me I'm to cautious I'm like I'm sorry I dnt want to knock ppl down if I see another car coming I try squeeze like the car is gonna squeeze in lo hopefully I get it b4 I'm 35

I’ve booked my theory test for the end of October! By then I should have had 22 hours of driving lessons behind me on top of the revising I’ve been doing.

Well done everyone! Sending positive vibes for your respective tests @judsmum and @YorkshireFox ! My test is also booked and I feel so sick with nerves. I dreamt last night it was a Mario Karts style race with my Yr10 class and they all beat me! To be fair they’ll probably all have their licenses before me!

Hope everyone is getting on okay- I had an okay lesson for today. Did mount the pavement though!

Hope everyone is getting on okay- I had an okay lesson for today. Did mount the pavement though!
I have a lesson in a few hours and I’m feeling nervous! I’ve been confident the past few times but not this weekend 😂 Been watching YouTube videos about clutch control in traffic and it’s not going in, even though I’ve already done it! Will report back in a few hours...

I had an interesting lesson to say the least. Driving was fine - went on a busy road and overtook a bus! However I was driving back, down a road with cars parked at either side, so slowed down to let a car pass me. Said car then wound his window down and called me a ‘learner w*nker’! Which was nice.... 😬

• Wow
I had an interesting lesson to say the least. Driving was fine - went on a busy road and overtook a bus! However I was driving back, down a road with cars parked at either side, so slowed down to let a car pass me. Said car then wound his window down and called me a ‘learner w*nker’! Which was nice.... 😬
hole!
My test is on Thursday. I would sooner sky dive into the Californian forest fires.
Been out with my dad today and was all good, been to look at some little fiat 500’s and now I just wait and hope.

hole!
My test is on Thursday. I would sooner sky dive into the Californian forest fires.
Been out with my dad today and was all good, been to look at some little fiat 500’s and now I just wait and hope.
Hope your test goes well!! I’m sure you will be fine. I love Fiat 500’s, I want a red or mint green one 🚗

I am from the UK and tried learning manual but it was awful. I hated the roads back home, they were soooo narrow/fast and no shoulder.
I now live in North America and have my license. I learned/drive an automatic and it makes a world of difference. The roads are much wider here too with plenty of shoulders, lol. I used to be a nervous wreck - I would go out learning with my husband and it caused the biggest fights. Then I took lessons and preferred that. I passed my test first time but it took a lot of practice. I used to be so nervous that I would drive somewhere and then not want to drive back, not sure why. Now I drive without issue but it definitely takes time. I enjoy it, put my music on, and just go. Although, recently I hadn't driven for a month, and getting back in the car was nervewracking but it was fine once I started. We also have a large SUV so that makes me feel a little safer.

I went on an intensive driving course as soon as I was old enough to get my license. I passed first time, however I was far from confident and I hated driving for the longest time. My sister, it took her 3 attempts to pass and she is so confident and absolutely loves driving.

All these years later, I still don’t really like driving (and I put that down to one rather serious accident) and am much happier being a passenger.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.