Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had an interesting lesson to say the least. Driving was fine - went on a busy road and overtook a bus! However I was driving back, down a road with cars parked at either side, so slowed down to let a car pass me. Said car then wound his window down and called me a ‘learner w*nker’! Which was nice.... 😬
What a dick. My sister was once out with L plates on practicing and some wanker told her to learn to drive! What did he think she was trying to do?
Best of luck @judsmum I’ll be thinking of you!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Neither do I! There is nothing remotely fun about it! I literally want to be able to drive the 3 miles to work and back. That’s it. My lessons are on a Thursday and I start getting nervous on a Tuesday afternoon! Bloody horrible experience so it is.
Oh I feel for you so much! It took me years to pass my test- had about ten instructors! In fact one I had, one lesson we never even got off the driveway! Iv had all sorts. And Iv always hated driving! I could never seem to get my head around it. Iv been passed about 6 years now, but I was 29 I think when I passed. I used to dread my lessons, I used to panic the night before and I would try and think of excuses to make. I would get all sweaty when I was actually learning and I never even felt comfy. I remember the day I passed my test, I think my mum gave me some sort of sleeping tablet to relax me!! I mean who does that!???😳😳but I was in such a state, however it worked! I did pass! Ever since I can’t say my love of driving has increased, because it hasn’t. Iv accepted I will never enjoy driving, but i do enjoy the freedom it gives me. To not have to ask people to take me places is amazing. One bit of advice though is you don’t have to drive anywhere that makes you uncomfy. Even now I will always take the route that I find easier, even if it takes me longer. And don’t let other drivers bully you into going faster etc. I also hate parking! And I try and get what I call ‘drive throughs’ Spaces where I can pull forward basically! So I don’t have to reverse out! Oh I’m terrible when I write it down, but I’m also proud. Because learning to drive was a chain around my neck for years! No one thought I would pass, and people used to tease me with how long it took! But I did it! You will get there, I really do sympathise with you. When you pass, you will find it so freeing and you say you will just go to work and back but I’m sure you will slowly find abit more confidence to go here and there. Just take your time and do what feels ok to you! But I’m in your club and I hear every word you say! Good luck!!!! Xx

I've been learning to drive for a year now (mental breakdown and pandemic means I've had 30 lessons so far)
We did country roads for the first time and it was terrifying, but it's helped my confidence tenfold.

Things that help my anxiety:
Hypnosis app
Banana 1 hour prior to lesson
Rescue remedy drops
Trying to stop thinking about it so I can't get myself worked up

Reactions: 4
Thank you everyone sharing your success stories! So wonderful to hear people’s achievements! Well done @Upintheair83 ! You should be so proud!

Reactions: 1
Thank you everyone sharing your success stories! So wonderful to hear people’s achievements! Well done @Upintheair83 ! You should be so proud!
Awww thanks! I just wanted to share my success story because I truly understand how everyone on here feels. I really was and still am frightened of driving, but I do feel so much better now I have passed. It took me years and years!! I just want people to know that it’s not unusual to feel these things- it’s so easy to get discouraged or to listen to people who make remarks about not passing. But you can do it! I was so under confident and I was daunted by the whole thing, I do think it’s getting an instructor who you gel with, I think it’s half the battle. Keep going everyone and have faith in yourself. Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh I feel for you so much! It took me years to pass my test- had about ten instructors! In fact one I had, one lesson we never even got off the driveway! Iv had all sorts. And Iv always hated driving! I could never seem to get my head around it. Iv been passed about 6 years now, but I was 29 I think when I passed. I used to dread my lessons, I used to panic the night before and I would try and think of excuses to make. I would get all sweaty when I was actually learning and I never even felt comfy. I remember the day I passed my test, I think my mum gave me some sort of sleeping tablet to relax me!! I mean who does that!???😳😳but I was in such a state, however it worked! I did pass! Ever since I can’t say my love of driving has increased, because it hasn’t. Iv accepted I will never enjoy driving, but i do enjoy the freedom it gives me. To not have to ask people to take me places is amazing. One bit of advice though is you don’t have to drive anywhere that makes you uncomfy. Even now I will always take the route that I find easier, even if it takes me longer. And don’t let other drivers bully you into going faster etc. I also hate parking! And I try and get what I call ‘drive throughs’ Spaces where I can pull forward basically! So I don’t have to reverse out! Oh I’m terrible when I write it down, but I’m also proud. Because learning to drive was a chain around my neck for years! No one thought I would pass, and people used to tease me with how long it took! But I did it! You will get there, I really do sympathise with you. When you pass, you will find it so freeing and you say you will just go to work and back but I’m sure you will slowly find abit more confidence to go here and there. Just take your time and do what feels ok to you! But I’m in your club and I hear every word you say! Good luck!!!! Xx
you know what, thank you for this. It’s so nice to hear this from someone who isn’t trying to belittle me! I am getting sick to death of people around me dismissing my anxiety as though it is nothing. I get heart palpitations, sweats, I feel as though I can’t breathe properly and it absorbs my every thought. I don’t care if this sounds dramatic because it’s how I feel. All anyone says is ‘just think how much easier thy bigs will be when you pass’..... Yeah, I’m aware of that love or else I wouldn’t be putting myself through it 🙄 I don’t want to pass on Thursday so I can drive in my own, I want to pass on Thursday so I don’t have to do it again. I feel sick and I really don’t know what to do to make myself feel better.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
you know what, thank you for this. It’s so nice to hear this from someone who isn’t trying to belittle me! I am getting sick to death of people around me dismissing my anxiety as though it is nothing. I get heart palpitations, sweats, I feel as though I can’t breathe properly and it absorbs my every thought. I don’t care if this sounds dramatic because it’s how I feel. All anyone says is ‘just think how much easier thy bigs will be when you pass’..... Yeah, I’m aware of that love or else I wouldn’t be putting myself through it 🙄 I don’t want to pass on Thursday so I can drive in my own, I want to pass on Thursday so I don’t have to do it again. I feel sick and I really don’t know what to do to make myself feel better.
I put off learning for years, partly due to cost but mainly down to my anxiety. I had lessons years ago and the instructor was awful so I stopped and it put me off. Luckily the instructor I’m with now is OK and is a good teacher. But the anxiety I get in the days leading up to my lesson is awful. My ex could drive and alway said ‘I wish you could drive’ and I never knew what to say! I can’t wait to pass like @judsmum says, just to get it over with!!

I want to pass so I can take my own child to school like a proper mum! I’ve driven cross country, on strange roads it’s just so frustrating I can’t go pick her up when I’m twenty minutes away and my poor sister has to plan her whole week around doing pick ups for my girl!
Friday morning will be here soon @judsmum and your load will be so much lighter! Anxiety can be so crippling- I hate how it has become a byword for nervous!

• Heart
I totally understand and I myself felt exactly the same way. I can’t give you much advice other than to keep trying. If you are anything like me you won’t enjoy driving even when you pass!! Don’t get me wrong it was a huge relief but I never get in the car and enjoy it! I still find it hugely daunting and if I go to a new place then I usually get my partner to do a reccie run beforehand so I can get into my head where I am going. I am very anxious at peak times of traffic and places I find busy, but I wouldn’t ever want to not drive now as it does give you freedom. But Iv been there with the sweating and the nerves, and I still suffer today with feeling that way with driving. What I will say is that pressure of having someone next to you and watching you does make a difference though and you will relax abit more. Keep going and let us know how you get on. And if you don’t pass on your next test, I know it’s hard and upsetting but just keep going. I’m here if you need to chat, but never ever be embarrassed about feeling that way, I honestly can relate 100% xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Good luck to everyone with tests coming up. I just booked mine today for the start of October and am dreading it but telling myself I’m excited.

My first test was almost a year ago to the day and went prettttty badly. I took a break to have a baby and once I booked my second test for April the pandemic hit so here we go again. I’m 34 and put it off for yearrrrrrs and now I’ve two kids and can’t even do the school run.

My driving is generally good but I get incredibly anxious and make very stupid mistakes. So much of it is in my state of mind, I’m seriously considering hypnotherapy between now and then if I can find someone. I need to throw everything at this test!!

It is SO refreshing and reassuring to hear from other people with similar experiences, even though I wish no one had to go through it as I can feel your pain!! Sometimes it feels like everyone passed at 17 and all drive around without a care in the world oblivious to the responsibility and the huge danger around them and it just isn’t the case. We can do this.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Good luck to everyone with tests coming up. I just booked mine today for the start of October and am dreading it but telling myself I’m excited.

My first test was almost a year ago to the day and went prettttty badly. I took a break to have a baby and once I booked my second test for April the pandemic hit so here we go again. I’m 34 and put it off for yearrrrrrs and now I’ve two kids and can’t even do the school run.

My driving is generally good but I get incredibly anxious and make very stupid mistakes. So much of it is in my state of mind, I’m seriously considering hypnotherapy between now and then if I can find someone. I need to throw everything at this test!!

It is SO refreshing and reassuring to hear from other people with similar experiences, even though I wish no one had to go through it as I can feel your pain!! Sometimes it feels like everyone passed at 17 and all drive around without a care in the world oblivious to the responsibility and the huge danger around them and it just isn’t the case. We can do this.
It’s a good idea to get some hypnotherapy. I didn’t but I did practice some breathing techniques. Although in the end my mum gave me a sleeping tablet!! 🙈🙈🙈I don’t advise that! But it’s because I got myself so worked up. I wish I had something like this thread when I was learning because I felt like I was the only one feeling this way. I was like you, looking around at all those who drive around without a care! I was, and am, so aware of the responsibility of driving a car. I hate seeing people abusing that privilege and doing silly things and taking risks. It makes me so angry because there are people who really struggle and who really want to pass and wouldn’t behave that way and take it really seriously.
But don’t worry about making mistakes, it’s natural and you will continue making them and you will continue to learn to drive even after you pass. My advice once you pass, is to just do what you feel comfy with. Don’t let anyone bully you into going faster or taking a risk at a roundabout. Sometimes I see people going berserk in my rear view mirror because they think I could have gone across the roundabout- but I don’t care. I do what I think is safe. Do what suits you and the routes that suit you. It’s such a weird feeling getting in the car by yourself and being in control all by yourself, but it also opens so many doors to new adventures and makes life so much easier. I can’t wait to keep popping on this thread and hear about you all passing. Wishing you all so much luck xxxx

• Heart
Glad I found this thread I’m from Ireland and have my test in 2 days I’m soooo nervous 😩 I did my theory test years ago and the compulsory 12 lessons when I was in my early 20’s but went traveling and working abroad in Asia for 2 years. I’m home since Christmas and have done a few lessons again to refresh and finally bought my first car 3 months ago at the age of 27 🙈 I feel like I’ve improved loads and have been practicing but I still get so anxious in the car and it affects me so bad! I make mistakes with the gears,clutch control etc I’m afraid it’ll happen in my test 😭 please send me all your good vibes I’m trying to stay positive and believe in myself that I can do it 🚗

• Heart
I took my test back when I was 17 as I lived in the middle of nowhere and desperately needed to drive. During my three point turn I tapped the curb and just thought oh duck it, I've failed so drove normally. When we got to the test centre the examiner said congratulations and I was like eh?? but he said as soon as I had let go of the nerves he could see I was a safe and considerate driver... I went home all sad and my Dad goes 'I knew you wouldn't pass' until I slapped the certificate down in front of him and he had to eat his words 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I took my test back when I was 17 as I lived in the middle of nowhere and desperately needed to drive. During my three point turn I tapped the curb and just thought oh duck it, I've failed so drove normally. When we got to the test centre the examiner said congratulations and I was like eh?? but he said as soon as I had let go of the nerves he could see I was a safe and considerate driver... I went home all sad and my Dad goes 'I knew you wouldn't pass' until I slapped the certificate down in front of him and he had to eat his words 😂
Funny two people have told me this happened to them where they made a mistake and thought “well duck it I’ve failed” might aswell keep going and they passed cause they stopped worrying 🤣 Also my dad has been accompanying me and he is so negative all the time telling me everything wrong and never right 😢 it drains me and makes me believe I’m tit so I’m hoping the instructor will be nice as my nerves are shot thinking about my test tomorrow

• Sad
  • Heart
Found this at just the right time. Just started learning again and have had my first lesson after a 5 year gap.

Town number 3, instructor number 5. 3 failed practicals and 1 passed but expired theory test behind me!

I don't think my mental health or my confidence were where they needed to be before and I really did not gel with 3 out of my 4 previous instructors while this one is much more calm and very highly recommended by my boyfriend who passed his test last year first time. So fingers crossed this is it!

• Heart
Funny two people have told me this happened to them where they made a mistake and thought “well duck it I’ve failed” might aswell keep going and they passed cause they stopped worrying 🤣 Also my dad has been accompanying me and he is so negative all the time telling me everything wrong and never right 😢 it drains me and makes me believe I’m tit so I’m hoping the instructor will be nice as my nerves are shot thinking about my test tomorrow
How did you get on? 🤞

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.