Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I passed my test when I was 17, I think it’s always easier when you’re young because I was at college and everyone was learning/passing/failing. I passed first time after a few months of lessons but LOADS of weekends with my Dad driving around airfields. I admire anyone who does it later in life because I honestly don’t think I could. I was so nervous to do my test, it snowed as we were driving around, but, my examiner was the nicest man ever (this was 16 years ago now) but it was his first day on the job (maybe why I passed) and he really put me at ease. I don’t have any advice but just to keep going and how much I really respect the effort/time and money you are all investing in getting this done.

Reactions: 4
Whereabouts is everyone doing the practising/tests? I’m in Rotherham. To be fair i am closer to Doncaster (which I know better and would prefer) but I have my lessons at 1pm on a Thursday and he picks me up from work which is in Rotherham!

Reactions: 1
Lowestoft-perfect for me as I work there and live about a ten minute drive

Whereabouts is everyone doing the practising/tests? I’m in Rotherham. To be fair i am closer to Doncaster (which I know better and would prefer) but I have my lessons at 1pm on a Thursday and he picks me up from work which is in Rotherham!
I did my test in Scunthorpe. I would definitely for you choose Doncaster over say Sheffield.

I wonder if I’d be better off learning in a small town rather than London? I could do an intensive course in lowestoft as my mil lives there..

I’ve decided to do one more lesson manual then switch to auto depending on how I feel.

Right. I think we need to list our tips and suggestions through getting through the experience.

I’ve only got one: talking to myself whilst I drive and telling myself what I need to do next.

I wonder if I’d be better off learning in a small town rather than London? I could do an intensive course in lowestoft as my mil lives there..

I’ve decided to do one more lesson manual then switch to auto depending on how I feel.

Right. I think we need to list our tips and suggestions through getting through the experience.

I’ve only got one: talking to myself whilst I drive and telling myself what I need to do next.
I always sing in my head. Usually it’s (don’t ask me why!) Chamillionaire - They see me rollin’

My thoughts on London vs Small Town. Negatives of smaller towns is potentially country lanes that are narrow. You’re also more likely to drive further distance and cover more types of roads in your test and more diversity. Like in town/city driving as well as dual carriageway/country lane and obviously faster driving speeds in general. Of course this will be covered in London but not as big a range in the test will come up as they will not have the time to do a route that covers as many situations due to time constraints.

However if traffic and other road users are what cause you most concerned it could be a good idea for you.

If you want to try auto please do! I think many anxious drivers do far better in auto as it removes the fear of stalling even if you have mastered the gears.

I talk myself through the manoeuvres too! Either out loud or in my head. It really helps me. I’m into visualising & manifesting (not for everyone), so I like to visualise myself driving to work etc in my lessons. It’s gives me the drive to learn, no pun intended 😆

@Slatternly If you want to talk about Lowestoft, I have been learning to drive there for two years (😭😭😭) so know the routes very well, feel free to message me. One of the test routes is my drive to work- that’s super helpful!

Lowestoft is a great mix of different roads. I feel totally confident driving around- it’s just manoeuvres. In my lesson yesterday I was able to say which way to turn the wheel but then would turn it the other way!

How are everyone’s lessons going? I did junctions on Saturday - went really well which surprised me 😁

I have my first auto lesson in 15 mins - been around 10 years since I last attempted to learn to drive so feeling super nervous 😭😭

Reactions: 2
Well done @YorkshireFox ! Always nice to surprise yourself.
I tried to book my test last week but the system kept crashing. Hoping to book it when they reopen on Wednesday. I split the driving from Lowestoft to Swindon with my mum so drove 90 minutes ish! Did accidentally end up on the motorway at one point x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.