Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Glad I found this thread. I’m starting to learn how to drive in 2 weeks time. I have awful anxiety, so decided to go for automatic lessons. Everyone telling me it’s an awful choice...in a way I know it is, but it’s not as bad as letting my anxiety from preventing me from driving at all I guess?

Reactions: 5
Glad I found this thread. I’m starting to learn how to drive in 2 weeks time. I have awful anxiety, so decided to go for automatic lessons. Everyone telling me it’s an awful choice...in a way I know it is, but it’s not as bad as letting my anxiety from preventing me from driving at all I guess?
Do what's right for you and what's gonna help you, duck what everyone else thinks! Be proud you're taking the step towards driving

Reactions: 3
I don’t think it’s an awful choice at all, I done it in a manual, but was very nervous, looking back I think I would have chosen automatic. Lots of people have automatic cars these days, and soon all cars will be automatic because they’re electric! Gears and the clutch etc are in my opinion, the hardest part about driving, so why add all that stress to start with when you don’t need to! Good luck for when you start! 😊

• Heart
There are quite a few of us on here who learnt auto.

Don't let anyone tell you it isn't proper driving or is a bad choice. Once you pass you will have sooooo much more freedom than not driving. And so what you have to buy an auto? When the ban on new petrol/diesel cars is introduced and every new car will be electric they will all be auto

I know a lot of people who can drive manuals but only drive auto. My husband said he will never buy another manual.

You do what is best for you ❤

Eta typos

• Heart
There are quite a few of us on here who learnt auto.

Don't let anyone tell you it isn't proper driving or is a bad choice. Once you pass you will have sooooo much more freedom than not driving. And so what you have to buy an auto? When the ban on new petrol/diesel cars is introduced and every new car will be electric they will all be auto

I know a lot of people who can drive manuals but only drive auto. My husband said he will never buy another manual.

You do what is best for you ❤

Eta typos
Thanks everyone!! I’m going to continue with automatic. I’ve adhd and dyspraxia so I need to literally dedicate eveyrhing to having my eyes on the road!!! I tried to do manual once and literally cried because my coordination is awful. I had really bad panic attacks and this was 3 years ago now. Unfortunately it took a lot of confidence from me. I live in a city so it’s not essential - but I need to for my own sake, as will move eventually.

people saying it’s a bad choice- they all live in the countryside. I live in the middle of a city filled with angry people!!

I booked my theory test for first week in December as well.Thanks for the encouragement

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Honestly, it's ten times easier to drive an auto, and they're not like they used to be years ago. They have come a LONG way. I've just got my first electric which is obviously auto, and it's a dream and so easy. I laugh at people who insist manual is the best. They clearly have not been in these auto cars lately!

Reactions: 4
I laugh at people who insist manual is the best. They clearly have not been in these auto cars lately!
100% this.

When they say they like to be in control or autos aren't as fun to drive, I just roll my eyes. We are driving the streets of Essex not at Le Mans 🙄

• Haha
I was really considering auto for a long while. I didn’t think I’d ever get test ready in a manual and thought if it didn’t happen I’d go auto. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Besides auto now is a lot more popular than it was years ago and a lot more cars are auto now. Also we know manuals will start to fade out. I mean it’ll be a long while yet but it’s where it’s heading.

My bf has been driving 18 years, loves his cars and for his job he is on the road driving a van all the time. We went on a family trip last year and needed to hire a bigger car cos there was 7 of us, so he hired a small mini bus which was automatic and he absolutely bloody loved it 😂😂

Reactions: 1
100% this.

When they say they like to be in control or autos aren't as fun to drive, I just roll my eyes. We are driving the streets of Essex not at Le Mans 🙄
Oh my god same!! My friend who is a right know it all, told me autos are really hard to drive and she kept “stalling the car” every 5 minutes. How can you stall a car that doesn’t have a clutch?!?! 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My best friend switched to auto and loves it.. He’s car mad, works with cars and struggles with manual now 😂

Oh my god same!! My friend who is a right know it all, told me autos are really hard to drive and she kept “stalling the car” every 5 minutes. How can you stall a car that doesn’t have a clutch?!?! 😂😂
On my first driving test I got a minor for stalling as the stop start kicked in but wouldn't restart the engine (the car later was later found to have a major electrical fault) my instructor spent about 15 minutes lecturing the examiner on how you can't stall automatics. Didn't change anything as I had a major so still failed but hopefully he won't do the same to anyone in the future

duck what other people think. I’m learning automatic and I’m a better driver than I was learning manual. As long as you’re a safe driver, that’s all what matters. Best of luck x

Reactions: 5
Guys my test is on the 15 next month please pray for me to pass!
I’m 24 and still can’t drive how bad is that :(
Any tips I’m so scared and nervous

Reactions: 4
Not that bad I’m 31 🤣
Mines next month too, I’m having extra lessons and one an hour before my test to chill down and run over my manoeuvres.

Reactions: 6
Your age is not important. People learn to drive at all ages & stages of life. It’s not significant at all so stop putting unnecessary pressure on yourself.

are you able to do mock tests with your instructor? This would be good to get you ready for the test environment. Drill your manoeuvres and independent drives. Drive to the road & conditions infront of you. Exaggerate movements to make it obvious that you are using mirrors etc and even say it out loud if you want to.

• Heart
I learned to drive in a manual, and I drive manual now, but I do like automatics too.
I will admit I do find driving a manual a lot more fun, but I don't live in the middle of a city, so my opinion would probably change if I was driving in traffic every day.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, you do what you want to do, and what you feel is best for you.
There's also absolutely nothing stopping you at some point down the line, when you are used to driving, and confident on the roads, taking your test in a manual car so that you can drive manual too.

Reactions: 2
So my first lesson back after 2+ years went really well! I even drove myself home at the end. I just did a loop repeatedly around the local University and a main road, so a few roundabouts here and there. I really enjoyed it actually and my new instructor seems really patient and reassuring. No major issues just need to get used to doing all the mirror checking smooth gear changing keeping in lane and gathering speed more quickly etc, all stuff that comes with time. Next week we'll be going on some national speed limit roads, the grandma in me is terrified 👵🏼 really pleased with my instructor, he did a full debrief at the end of my lesson and talked me through what I need to work on and what the next lesson will look like. I felt really good about things afterwards too, with my old instructor I always felt a bit upset and anxious after my lessons.

I've rebooked my theory test for mid October. There's about an 18 week delay for practical tests where I am, so as soon as theory is done I'll book a practical test.

• Heart
It has taken me approximately 58 hours of lessons, and finallyyyyyy something has clicked. I’ve had self esteem issues for years, and honestly thought I’d never make it but my last few lessons have been ok and I’ve started trusting my judgement more. We are all capable of doing this guys ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Fab to hear @loobyscoobydoo 👏 Make sure you download the DVSA theory test app as that really helped me. Don’t be scared of national speed limit roads! It’s good your instructor is letting you tackle them so soon on your lessons!

———

I’m just back from a lesson. 6 weeks until my test! Feeling quietly confident as I dealt with some d*ckheads on the road today and I managed to keep in control of the car and safe to other road users e.g someone decided to switch lanes without signalling so had to break harsh and drop back. My instructor said that’s what the examiner looks for so I feel happy.

Hope everyone is doing OK x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.