Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you got any advice please? I passed well over ten years ago and I'm only able to drive around my local town and even that is a struggle
Reflecting on the last few months, here are a few things that I did to help ease in to it;

- Firstly I WANTED to do it! It didn’t feel like when I was 17 and felt obliged because everyone was doing it and it felt like a rite of passage. I wanted to drive, in fact, I now need to drive for work as I’ve moved so that was more motivation. There’s a hen do and a wedding at the end of this year on awkward bank holidays (crap train service) so that was extra incentive.
- Started locally and always had somewhere to drive to, Tesco, Morrison’s etc so it was a small goal. I started going via different roads to get used to different layouts and road signs.
- Then started to flirt with dual carriage ways to increase my speed, getting closer to the motorway, I practiced merging lanes at speed getting ready for a slip road as that’s what terrified me the most.
- Did a tiny bit of the motorway, literally got off within 5 mins just to test the slip road and the actual feel of the motorway.
- Built up to longer stints, again had an aim such as driving to my brothers or grandads.

The reality of it is I cried at least 3 times doing the above where I had periods of feeling worthless, stupid and embarrassed I’d left it so long! It hit home that I’m only going to get better if I force myself to go and the sense of satisfaction afterwards when I did it was worth it. You only grow out of your comfort zone ❤

I use the headspace app which is amazing if you’re an anxious person like I am. I have 1000 worries in the car, I can’t drive with music on, take calls, talk and I have to be in trainers. It’s learning to accept these worries but not letting them inhibit your driving. I really hope this might help, believe me when I say you will feel SO relieved to conquer it xxxx

Reactions: 2
It’s 8 weeks til my driving test. Had a lesson yesterday and I was making stupid mistakes (leaving the handbrake on, not looking at my blind spots). I can drive and my instructor says I’m confident. I’m just dreading the test now.

• Sad
It’s 8 weeks til my driving test. Had a lesson yesterday and I was making stupid mistakes (leaving the handbrake on, not looking at my blind spots). I can drive and my instructor says I’m confident. I’m just dreading the test now.
Plenty of time to iron out any minor things.

Reactions: 3
Just see it as being much better to get all of the daft mistakes over and done with when you have somebody next to you that can help you rather than doing it all as soon as you’ve passed and are on your own.

Reactions: 4
I’m excited for it.. It’s 4 weeks tomorrow. How about you? It’s this month isn’t it? My biggest worry is someone else driving like an idiot as it’s happened on a few lessons recently.
Yes I'm this month, I'm nervous but excited. I keep telling myself I can drive, I'm just showing someone how well I can do it

• Heart
Its normal to dip before test.

Yes I'm this month, I'm nervous but excited. I keep telling myself I can drive, I'm just showing someone how well I can do it
Its 40 minutes. You can do this!

• Heart
I have my first driving lesson in over 2 years on Monday morning. I had about 10 hours a couple of years ago and gave up as it was another stressor at a time when I was struggling with my MH. I've been on a wait list for ages and now I'm finally able to pick back up I feel so nervous! Not sure how to alleviate nerves but I'm glad I've got a morning slot as at least then it's over and done with for the day rather than me sitting around all day worrying about the lesson

I also need to rebook my theory as that ran out a few months ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have my first driving lesson in over 2 years on Monday morning. I had about 10 hours a couple of years ago and gave up as it was another stressor at a time when I was struggling with my MH. I've been on a wait list for ages and now I'm finally able to pick back up I feel so nervous! Not sure how to alleviate nerves but I'm glad I've got a morning slot as at least then it's over and done with for the day rather than me sitting around all day worrying about the lesson

Good luck!
You're in good company here ❤ rescue remedy helps with nerves, as does bananas. Keep breathing and tell your instructor how you're feeling
The DGN driving school videos on you tube are amazing too

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Good luck ❤

The DVSA theory test app helped me loads. It’s £5 but it’s worth it. I also recommend watching YouTube videos - that’s helped me loads. Looking forward to hearing about your lessons! X

• Heart
Good luck!
You're in good company here ❤ rescue remedy helps with nerves, as does bananas. Keep breathing and tell your instructor how you're feeling
The DGN driving school videos on you tube are amazing too
Thank you! I will try a banana and maybe some rescue remedy too.

Good luck ❤

The DVSA theory test app helped me loads. It’s £5 but it’s worth it. I also recommend watching YouTube videos - that’s helped me loads. Looking forward to hearing about your lessons! X
I used the DVSA app last time and it was so good! Just re downloaded it now, I got a bit addicted last time and spent too much time on it and watching youtube videos 😂 might try and take a bit more relaxed approach this time around... I'm not too worried about the theory but still another thing to be thinking about.

• Heart

Good luck you got this!! I used a few theory apps and they worked well :D

I had another lesson after I said I would change instructor and damn I shouldn't have done it ... She quizzed me on my anxiety symptoms and cross examined them making me feel like I was lying/nothing wrong with me basically :(

This week I cancelled it, so now just looking for someone else. I have a test booked for Oct 22nd but I'll just delay if needs be - I need to remove the pressure on myself to help with the anxiety I think, slow it down....

• Heart
Good luck you got this!! I used a few theory apps and they worked well :D

I had another lesson after I said I would change instructor and damn I shouldn't have done it ... She quizzed me on my anxiety symptoms and cross examined them making me feel like I was lying/nothing wrong with me basically :(

This week I cancelled it, so now just looking for someone else. I have a test booked for Oct 22nd but I'll just delay if needs be - I need to remove the pressure on myself to help with the anxiety I think, slow it down....
You should have told her to mind her own business!
Good luck finding someone better but do it ASAP. The next tests I’ve seen are for February 😳

You should have told her to mind her own business!
Good luck finding someone better but do it ASAP. The next tests I’ve seen are for February 😳
I'm signed up too speedy tests and set it to show me tests between Oct and Feb and I'm getting daily texts offering cancellations in Nov and Dec so fingers crossed ...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.