Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve booked in the next city across from me. My instructor says the test route is in the city I live in, just the test centre in my city is completely full. I know that sounds confusing 😂 Keep looking, I hope a test comes available x

I’ve booked in the next city across from me. My instructor says the test route is in the city I live in, just the test centre in my city is completely full. I know that sounds confusing 😂 Keep looking, I hope a test comes available x
There’s nothing within about 100miles 🤪
I’m glad you got one.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Had an off day driving today and now my instructor is thinking of postponing my test. I feel ready for my test and don't want to postpone as I know from this thread how long the wait is for new tests. Plus I can't afford to continue doing driving lessons all year.

Got a mock test next week. Feeling despondent

Had an off day driving today and now my instructor is thinking of postponing my test. I feel ready for my test and don't want to postpone as I know from this thread how long the wait is for new tests. Plus I can't afford to continue doing driving lessons all year.

Your instructor cannot “postpone” your test. It’s your test. You book it. It’s got naff all to do with them when you have your test, aside from letting you use their car which you pay them for anyway!!!!

Speak to your instructor. Ask why exactly they feel that you’re not ready for your test? They were happy to let you book it before, so what are they claiming is the problem now?

sometimes I really do think driving instructors just take the piss completely. You are paying them for a service, not the other way around; don’t let them dictate everything when you are the one paying for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Seriously, it's your decision when you feel ready to take your test. I HIGHLY recommend DGN driving on youtube, he is absolutely fantastic!!! And if you have a spare £30, download his course - it's currently half price. I've downloaded it can honestly, it's fantastic, it will really help you for your test. But even if you don't buy it, his youtube videos are just as good! ❤

• Heart
I really wanted to take my test this summer but I’m not going to rush it. I’m happy with November. It gives me enough time to be properly test ready (even though I can drive now and do manoeuvres). I just want experience on the road!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I really wanted to take my test this summer but I’m not going to rush it. I’m happy with November. It gives me enough time to be properly test ready (even though I can drive now and do manoeuvres). I just want experience on the road!
Do you have access to a car you can practice in as well outside of your lessons?

I’ve finally booked a test slot 🥳 You have to constantly check haha

You need to listen to your instructor, if he feels you aren’t ready then maybe he knows best. When’s your test?

Your instructor cannot “postpone” your test. It’s your test. You book it. It’s got naff all to do with them when you have your test, aside from letting you use their car which you pay them for anyway!!!!

Speak to your instructor. Ask why exactly they feel that you’re not ready for your test? They were happy to let you book it before, so what are they claiming is the problem now?

sometimes I really do think driving instructors just take the piss completely. You are paying them for a service, not the other way around; don’t let them dictate everything when you are the one paying for it.
They have a responsibility to advise what’s safe though.

Reactions: 2

You need to listen to your instructor, if he feels you aren’t ready then maybe he knows best. When’s your test?

My test is end of June.
I'm gonna keep hassling my siblings to let me practice in their cars outside of lessons and hopefully that will help.

Seriously, it's your decision when you feel ready to take your test. I HIGHLY recommend DGN driving on youtube, he is absolutely fantastic!!! And if you have a spare £30, download his course - it's currently half price. I've downloaded it can honestly, it's fantastic, it will really help you for your test. But even if you don't buy it, his youtube videos are just as good! ❤
I'll check it out, thank you

It is because I slowed down but didn't stop @ a junction. But I explained the reason I didn't stop is because I could see it was clear. I wasn't unsafe with my speed or anything

Maybe he wants a few more months of lessons out of the op cos he thinks it is a guaranteed income .

Yeah but unfortunately a lot of instructors will carry on giving lessons for the income it generates, even if the pupil is test ready. Her instructor has already said she’s ready for her test and has now done a u-turn. You don’t just unlearn driving like that. If she was deemed to be test ready before then she still is now.

• Heart
Yeah but unfortunately a lot of instructors will carry on giving lessons for the income it generates, even if the pupil is test ready. Her instructor has already said she’s ready for her test and has now done a u-turn. You don’t just unlearn driving like that. If she was deemed to be test ready before then she still is now.
She said she had an off day though so perhaps her instructor feels she needs time to build up the confidence before sitting the test.

@Thank(space)you Ultimately, it's all down to how confident YOU feel. If you feel that today was just a blip then speak to your instructor to explain this and tell them you still want to go ahead. If on the other hand you think you could do with a bit more learning, you're able to do that too. Your instructor should be able to give you reasons why he thinks you should postpone - if he can't give solid reasons then that would be a red flag for me (ie: he just wants to keep you having lessons because to him, lessons = ££).

• Heart
She said she had an off day though so perhaps her instructor feels she needs time to build up the confidence before sitting the test.

@Thank(space)you Ultimately, it's all down to how confident YOU feel. If you feel that today was just a blip then speak to your instructor to explain this and tell them you still want to go ahead. If on the other hand you think you could do with a bit more learning, you're able to do that too. Your instructor should be able to give you reasons why he thinks you should postpone - if he can't give solid reasons then that would be a red flag for me (ie: he just wants to keep you having lessons because to him, lessons = ££).
Book a test and take it. If you pass then fantastic, if you fail then you have the experience of the test under your belt for next time and you’ll be able to identify where the weak areas are to work on for the next test. No worries.

• Heart
My instructor says I need to work on my clearance. I always leave enough space when I park up behind a car, leave enough in traffic (can see tyres and tarmac) and always a door width away when I’m driving past parked cars. Whether she’s saying that to remind me or what I don’t know. But I’m always aware of it. I feel like no matter how good your instructor is, they will pick up on things.

My test is end of June.
I'm gonna keep hassling my siblings to let me practice in their cars outside of lessons and hopefully that will help.

I'll check it out, thank you

It is because I slowed down but didn't stop @ a junction. But I explained the reason I didn't stop is because I could see it was clear. I wasn't unsafe with my speed or anything
Was it a give way? I failed for not fully stopping at one during a test. There was no traffic coming so I went as if it was a standard junction.

I am already nervous for my lesson tomorrow afternoon. Even though the last one went fine. I really just want to feel comfortable on the road and trust that I can be safe and get from a to b.

Urghh this has to be the most annoying time to learn to drive ever. There’s so much extra pressure with all the tests and instructors being so busy.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am already nervous for my lesson tomorrow afternoon. Even though the last one went fine. I really just want to feel comfortable on the road and trust that I can be safe and get from a to b.

Urghh this has to be the most annoying time to learn to drive ever. There’s so much extra pressure with all the tests and instructors being so busy.
Good luck! Let us know how you get on. x

I have my second driving lesson tomorrow and it's for 1.5 hours rather than an hour and I can't even remember how to start the car. Well done me! 😪

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. x

I have my second driving lesson tomorrow and it's for 1.5 hours rather than an hour and I can't even remember how to start the car. Well done me! 😪
It’s only your second lesson, don’t worry about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.