Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Couldn't actually believe my instructor today was trying to show me photos of his kids on his phone whilst I'm driving!!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I’ve waited 6 months for my second test and waited 6 for the first one.. Hope you can get another sorted!
Mines Tuesday and it’s looming over me now.

• Heart
I've had a break from driving since late last year and I'd posted on these threads about a bad instructor I was having - but now I have a new instructor and I'm giving it another go! Still have nerves and the feeling it's never going to happen but let's see ... :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I just started taking refreshers lessons after not having sat behind the wheel since 2013. I got my license from Germany so I’ve never driven in the UK before. During my first lesson I only noticed how rusty I’ve gotten and it felt really discouraging :( I find UK roads, and especially around where I live, quite daunting. It’s the mixture of narrow roads, terrible on street parking and abrupt and impatient drivers..

god knows how long it’ll take me to be able to drive again here lol

Reactions: 1
With just 2 days left before my driving test, I have a horrific uti sorry if tmi, what timing 🙄 I just pray to god my antibiotics start kicking in because I'm in so much pain and discomfort I don't know how I'm even gonna sit behind the wheel and be able to concentrate right now 😩

• Sad
  • Heart
I failed my second test 😂 He said I steered slightly to the left while doing a park on the right and reverse two car lengths. I have no idea how it was classed as a fail. There was no one around, I did all my observations and I didn’t hit the curb or cross over the side of the road.. we’re talking mm wheel turn.
It seems like the smallest thing is a fail 🤷🏼‍♀️ Some of my friends took 6 attempts!

I only had three minor and I thought I had passed so I was gutted 😂

• Sad
  • Heart
I failed my second test 😂 He said I steered slightly to the left while doing a park on the right and reverse two car lengths. I have no idea how it was classed as a fail. There was no one around, I did all my observations and I didn’t hit the curb or cross over the side of the road.. we’re talking mm wheel turn.
It seems like the smallest thing is a fail 🤷🏼‍♀️ Some of my friends took 6 attempts!

I only had three minor and I thought I had passed so I was gutted 😂
Honestly don't be too disheartened. You will pass next time!

On my first test (well actually 4th, but the previous 3 were 20 odd years earlier... :D) I was at a major junction turning right - the examiner failed me as she said I was too far forward when waiting to turn. I think if I was there were millimeters in it. I had only a couple of minors apart from that, I was absolutely gutted :( I really thought I'd passed.

My next test was a bit of a disaster, I had to reverse round what seemed to be the busiest side turning in Kent and it took me 10 minutes because I kept having to stop due to cars behind or in front of me. Made a mess of it and failed. But I passed the next one! (3rd test in modern times, 6th test overall).

One of my relatives took 7 or 8 goes I think and he drives for a living!

Provided you keep going, and pass in the end, the number of tests it takes to get there doesn't matter. duck all those smug twats who say 'oh I passed first time'! Moat of them are terrible drivers - my Ex was one of those, and a friend of mine who clearly passed as a fluke because she couldn't turn right or park and mounted the kerb on her test (she's never driven since which is probably safest for everyone 🤣🤣🤣)

• Wow
It seems so random! I've heard people fail for such tiny reasons like the two previous posters, but also the complete opposite- someone I know didn't stop properly at a stop sign, thought they had failed and still passed! Their instructor was in the back seat and couldn't believe the examiner didn't fail them for it! And yet sometimes you get failed for something you couldn't have done differently- my friend was going down a road with parked cars on his side, and so waited for an oncoming vehicle to go first as they had priority. The oncoming vehicle stopped for them and waved them to go ahead, which they safely did. They were failed on it, which seemed ridiculous to me- did the examiner want them to just keep waving each other forward for the whole 40 minute test?! 😂

The more I hear, the more I think the whole test system is frankly ridiculous and inconsistent! It seems completely down to luck. However, everyone passes eventually so at some stage we will get lucky too! I've accepted that I'm going to fail first time and that's taken the pressure off 😂😂

Honestly a lot of it is down to luck on the day - my partner clipped the kerb while going round a roundabout on his test and thought oh sod it I've failed - he was shocked when they got to the end and the examiner said he'd passed!

Someone I know was approaching a pedestrian crossing on their test and slowed down as there was someone who looked like they were waiting to cross. As they got closer the pedestrian kind of waved them on and stepped back (apparently because they were just waiting there not waiting to cross) and my friend then failed for only slowing down (to about 2mph) and not completely stopping because the pedestrian could have changed their mind!

Some test centres are definitely harder to pass at than others, and have trickier routes too. As well as more awkward examiners!

Reactions: 2
I agree, it is random or it feels it.

my first test I was very nervous, but I drove well until I was following the sat nav… the sat nav wanted me to exit a dual carriageway on a slip road and I’d never done this route before. Anyway I failed for apparently going too slow down the slip road, but the examiner said my driving was perfect otherwise and he was gutted to fail me…

Second test, I was not as nervous, but quite bad at points. I hit a kerb going round a bend at one point and at the end the examiner said the driving wasn’t the best and that I should take pass plus, but I’ve passed?😂

i didn’t take the pass plus anyway🤣

I agree, it is random or it feels it.

my first test I was very nervous, but I drove well until I was following the sat nav… the sat nav wanted me to exit a dual carriageway on a slip road and I’d never done this route before. Anyway I failed for apparently going too slow down the slip road, but the examiner said my driving was perfect otherwise and he was gutted to fail me…

Second test, I was not as nervous, but quite bad at points. I hit a kerb going round a bend at one point and at the end the examiner said the driving wasn’t the best and that I should take pass plus, but I’ve passed?😂

i didn’t take the pass plus anyway🤣
I think they take things into context. Bumping a curb is one thing, not going to cause any damage but going too slow along a slip road could cause a huge accident. I think they gauge it throughout the lesson as to what is just a bit of test nerves versus what is a total error of judgment that could endanger people

Reactions: 1
I think they take things into context. Bumping a curb is one thing, not going to cause any damage but going too slow along a slip road could cause a huge accident. I think they gauge it throughout the lesson as to what is just a bit of test nerves versus what is a total error of judgment that could endanger people
I was coming off a dual carriageway down a slip road onto a side road and that slip road changed to a 30 from 50, in the 50 bit I was doing about 35-40, so yeah it was slow, but not ridiculously… it’s a very quiet road and there were no cars around so no one was in danger. I just think he saw how much I was panicking during the test and I don’t think it helped.

whereas when I bumped the car I was doing 30 on a narrow busy road and I could have easily lost control. Different examiners will have different perspectives though I guess.

I only went and passed first time with 3 minors this morning!!! Spend so long worrying about this test convinced I would fail. The build up to the test was worse than the actual test I actually kept it cool and collected. Can't wait to tell my daughter when she finishes school she was so excited for me! What a feeling! 🎉😆

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I only went and passed first time with 3 minors this morning!!! Spend so long worrying about this test convinced I would fail. The build up to the test was worse than the actual test I actually kept it cool and collected. Can't wait to tell my daughter when she finishes school she was so excited for me! What a feeling! 🎉😆
Congratulations!!!! You must be on top of the world!! 😘

Congratulations!!!! You must be on top of the world!! 😘
Thank you! ☺ still doesn't feel real, it was amazing to get in my car this morning and do the 4 mile journey to work which I was normally cycling or getting the bus! Just goes to show you can get yourself so worked up about the test but it's not all that bad. I was concentrating on my driving so much I wouldn't of even known I had an examiner sat next to me apart from the odd bit of talking!

Reactions: 5
Congratulations! I love reading these posts and getting motivated.

in Ireland we have something called EDT which are 12 lessons we legally have to do, learning different things in each. I’m on 9 now, had two today and it was a different instructor as my usual man is on his holidays and I felt useless. I don’t know if it was a different man making me panic more or what but I made a few silly mistakes and I feel so deflated.I’m learning automatic and my boyfriends car is manual so I can’t practice in his between lessons… I think I’m going to have to buy a little automatic to practice a bit more.

he says my main issue is steering around corners, instead of doing one swift movement I do lots of little “edging” movements with the steering wheel, I can’t get the hang of it for some reason… does anyone have any tips?

@pommynoir There's an Irish instructor on YouTube who I watched and found he explains things very well. He has a video for nearly every issue that crops up with driving. I've popped his link down below. Besides that, if you can afford a little automatic it would be the way to go. Once you get a feel for the way it's done right you will never lose the skill. Like so many things in driving the more you do it the more it becomes like second nature.

https://youtube.com/c/DaneTygheletsdrive

@pommynoir There's an Irish instructor on YouTube who I watched and found he explains things very well. He has a video for nearly every issue that crops up with driving. I've popped his link down below. Besides that, if you can afford a little automatic it would be the way to go. Once you get a feel for the way it's done right you will never lose the skill. Like so many things in driving the more you do it the more it becomes like second nature.

https://youtube.com/c/DaneTygheletsdrive
Thank you so much! Yeah I think it’s the way to go. Like driving lessons are €50 a pop where I am but I’d say it’s going to get to the point that it’s useless if I’m not practicing outside of the hour. Let’s hope himself goes for it else I’ll be knocking at the credit union for a loan 🤣. He’s thinking of changing to auto soon but his cars are always way too powerful, im learning in a micra I’d love something small like that

• Haha
Ah well done 🎉🎉 Enjoy the freedom of driving!

Congratulations and well done! xx