Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I passed my test! I failed my first 2 cancelled a test then took third test and passed. I still feel weird, like maybe she was tired and didn’t notice my faults or maybe she felt sorry for me and let me pass lol but that’s me and my lack of confidence in myself. Failed my first test for steering, second for undue hesitation. Sounds silly but failing the first 2 times gave me an a wee bit more knowledge of the actual test. I’m 42 and do wish I had done it years ago, but I’ve done it now 😝😝😝😝 bought a wee FIAT and have been out and about for couple days now.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I passed my test! I failed my first 2 cancelled a test then took third test and passed. I still feel weird, like maybe she was tired and didn’t notice my faults or maybe she felt sorry for me and let me pass lol but that’s me and my lack of confidence in myself. Failed my first test for steering, second for undue hesitation. Sounds silly but failing the first 2 times gave me an a wee bit more knowledge of the actual test. I’m 42 and do wish I had done it years ago, but I’ve done it now 😝😝😝😝 bought a wee FIAT and have been out and about for couple days now.
Congratulations!!! That's so good to hear! You must be so proud of yourself! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks so much guys! ☺ x

Congratulations!🎉 I have a fiat 500 too and I just love it 😆 has it sunk it yet? Or is it just me it still doesn't feel like it's actually happened after so many years of walking, public transport etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I totally relate to the feeling of wishing you'd done it years ago, I was older than you when I passed (44) and really not doing it sooner is one of my biggest regrets.

Enjoy driving though! And get driving on motorways as soon as you can, I found them scary, made it into a big thing in my head, and pretty much avoided them for 3 years. I then had to do a 200 mile drive 3 years ago and since then it's been fine, in fact I actually really enjoy motorways more than town driving.

I totally relate to the feeling of wishing you'd done it years ago, I was older than you when I passed (44) and really not doing it sooner is one of my biggest regrets.

Enjoy driving though! And get driving on motorways as soon as you can, I found them scary, made it into a big thing in my head, and pretty much avoided them for 3 years. I then had to do a 200 mile drive 3 years ago and since then it's been fine, in fact I actually really enjoy motorways more than town driving.
I'm the same, much prefer motorway driving. Only have to worry about other cars, no bikes, traffic lights or pedestrians

My instructor got me to do a mock test today and I failed, a couple of serious faults. I know he meant well and wanted this to settle my nerves but if anything, it’s heighten them to the point where I had a full blown panic attack after the lesson and I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to do the test

My instructor got me to do a mock test today and I failed, a couple of serious faults. I know he meant well and wanted this to settle my nerves but if anything, it’s heighten them to the point where I had a full blown panic attack after the lesson and I honestly don’t think I’ll be able to do the test
What were your fails for??

2 weeks before my test I done my worst mock test ever 5 serious faults! It is just a mock test I wouldn't stress it they mean nothing on the day!

Reactions: 3
Hesitation at a busy mini roundabout and observation at a junction
Right - so things you presumably are completely ok with under normal circumstances?

stop panicking. Dust yourself off. Take your test, you will either pass or not and if you don’t - it’s really not the end of the world.

I had a load of majors on my mock to the point my instructor said he didn't think I was ready but then I went and passed first time with <5 minors

How do you not stall on a hill?? I’ve had a mock test just before and it went horrifically. My test is pretty soon and I couldn’t stop stalling today. Failed for stalling at the lights on my real test a few weeks ago.

i don’t know what happens, but I just can’t help it

any tips??? I know it all about getting the bite; which I do, but then it stalls :(

How do you not stall on a hill?? I’ve had a mock test just before and it went horrifically. My test is pretty soon and I couldn’t stop stalling today. Failed for stalling at the lights on my real test a few weeks ago.

any tips??? I know it all about getting the bite; which I do, but then it stalls :(
It is tricky to start with, but if you have the bite right, maybe you need to put your foot harder on the accelerator? No expert by any means, but if I ever stall it’s usually because I haven’t had my foot on the accelerator enough?

• Heart

Are you freezing your feet at the bite as you pull away? I try to freeze for longer than usual, seems to help!

• Heart

Sounds like you are coming off the clutch too fast and not pushing the gas quick or hard enough. Keep your foot on the clutch at the biting point, as you push gently on the gas with the other foot, gently lift your left foot off the clutch - don’t just jerk
Your foot off quickly - it needs to be a smooth, flowing movement between your two feet and both peddles.

• Heart

Take your time , panicking may cause you to try and operate the pedals too quickly. Try and bring your foot off the clutch more gradually.

Can you ask to do more practice on hill starts in your lessons ?

• Heart
Are you freezing your feet at the bite as you pull away? I try to freeze for longer than usual, seems to help!
Ah no, I’ve always been told that it’s get the bite and as soon as I have that, lift foot off clutch!!

I hate my driving instructor sometimes. He’s a narky old man who loves to shout at me lmao. I hope I pass, this is my 3rd time and I’m sick of the sight of him

Ah no, I’ve always been told that it’s get the bite and as soon as I have that, lift foot off clutch!!

I hate my driving instructor sometimes. He’s a narky old man who loves to shout at me lmao. I hope I pass, this is my 3rd time and I’m sick of the sight of him
Oh that's weird! My instructor tells me to freeze at the bite then gently lift off the clutch once you're moving steadily. No wonder you are stalling if you have to come off so fast! Maybe just try ignoring him on this issue 😂 he sounds like a nightmare, fingers crossed you pass!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3

No, once you are at the biting point, keep your left foot there and then press your right on the gas - as you press more on the gas, gently start to lift your left foot up from the clutch - don’t just lift your foot off. That’s why it’s stalling.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I DID IT!!!!
3rd time lucky this afternoon and didn’t stall once!! My examiner was so so nice I started considering asking her to teach me if I failed lmaoo

• Heart
Reactions: 13