Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I stalled twice on mine and was terrified of doing it a third time in case it was an automatic fail. Did get two minors for “control of the car” which was fair enough. My instructor changed his car three weeks before my test so I wasn’t confident on the biting point, utter nightmare 😂 bad luck Grejaha, but at least it’s something you know you can fix for next time, I’m sure you’ll smash it 🥰

Reactions: 2
How do you fail for stalling? It must have been a dangerous situation.. What’s the email with your failure notice say?

My second test is in two weeks 🤯

Passed my test last month after 60+ hours, 3 instructors, and 2 years of trying to learn (thank you COVID). Start on manual for 45 hours and I just couldn't get on with it, was scheduled to take a test in June 2021 but canceled it last minute due to not feeling ready. Started automatic in October, did 15 hours, and was more than test ready - took the test and did an hour lesson before the test and passed with 3 minors (two for indicating accidentally)! Was convinced I had failed in the first five minutes which took so much pressure off, was very relieved to have found out when I got back that I had passed! Now currently shopping for a car (secondhand prices are up massively atm which is frustrating). Good luck everyone!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yeah it’s a minor for stalling. I stalled 3 times on my test and I thought that it would become a major because of that but it didn’t. It’s only a major if it’s a dangerous situation

Was it your only driving fault? Or did you have quite a few minors on your feedback?
I stalled 3 times in one place, was in 1st gear so I think I was just panicking. Once I moved off it was fine but she said because there was a holdup of cars behind she failed me. Only 4 minors: knocking the curb when pulling up on the left, one for steering but unsure where this was and going over the speed limit (only by 2/3 mph and quickly realised) twice

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I stalled 3 times in one place, was in 1st gear so I think I was just panicking. Once I moved off it was fine but she said because there was a holdup of cars behind she failed me. Only 4 minors: knocking the curb when pulling up on the left, one for steering but unsure where this was and going over the speed limit (only by 2/3 mph and quickly realised) twice
That’s really strange because I *technically* stalled (I say technically because I was doing everything right and calm without any panic and the car literally would not move even when i pressed the button in it) 3 times on my test in the same place at some traffic lights and it didn’t become a major/failed for me unless he used rational with me. I was of the understanding that the hold up is only really considered if it’s meant other drivers have beeped or gone round you etc. That’s what I could get from googling too.

I’m sorry that you didn’t pass this time but take some confidence in that you can actually drive and these are very very minor things, stalling happens unfortunately - I don’t agree that they should be a fail particular if you’ve not left the junction or endangered anyone. It is really annoying when you can’t even place what one of the minors would of been - one of my minors was “ Response to signs / signals – Other road users, 1” and I still have no idea when that would’ve been.

Reactions: 3
It's a very hard test! But everyone manages to pass eventually. And we will too!
It sounds like you just got unlucky so get booking another one and I bet you'll pass second time!

Reactions: 5
Is anyone else just getting fed up with learning now and just finding it so draining or is it just me 😂 ready to be done with it and move on with my life with a full license! My first test is 3 weeks away and I have so much anxiety about it to the point I'm having bad dreams about it like it's test day and my instructor never turns up 😅 the thought of it makes me want to be sick and it's just consuming me ☹ keep thinking the worst and telling myself what if I never pass cos I'm just too nervous 😂 now you are allowed your instructor in the car with you again on tests has anyone done it would you say it's a good or bad thing? I'm undecided part of me thinks having the familiarity there and that I feel comfortable driving with him could help my nerves but I don't know

Reactions: 6
My test is next week and I’m genuinely having sweats thinking about it - my two lessons this week I’m making mistakes I never make because I’m panicking about it

Reactions: 4
Passed my test last month after 60+ hours, 3 instructors, and 2 years of trying to learn (thank you COVID). Start on manual for 45 hours and I just couldn't get on with it, was scheduled to take a test in June 2021 but canceled it last minute due to not feeling ready. Started automatic in October, did 15 hours, and was more than test ready - took the test and did an hour lesson before the test and passed with 3 minors (two for indicating accidentally)! Was convinced I had failed in the first five minutes which took so much pressure off, was very relieved to have found out when I got back that I had passed! Now currently shopping for a car (secondhand prices are up massively atm which is frustrating). Good luck everyone!
Well done! Your story reminds me a lot of mine, except I haven't passed the test yet. I did roughly 100 hours of manual, but then decided to transition to automatic.

I'm really hoping to pass someday! Your story gave me hope lol.

• Heart
Well done! Your story reminds me a lot of mine, except I haven't passed the test yet. I did roughly 100 hours of manual, but then decided to transition to automatic.

I'm really hoping to pass someday! Your story gave me hope lol.
Glossy was it you having trouble finding an automatic instructors who had the strange first lesson? Have you carried on with them or had any luck finding a new one? x

Reactions: 1
Glossy was it you having trouble finding an automatic instructors who had the strange first lesson? Have you carried on with them or had any luck finding a new one? x
Yes, it was me. I had that strange first lesson, then gave him the benefit of the doubt and had a second, but it was even worse. He made me sit in the car for 30 minutes and write about what "forward planning" entails when driving. He even told me after looking at test results that I "didn't know what the test was about" lol. I texted him earlier this week to tell him I've decided to move forward with a different school (which I'm still trying to find). He sent me a couple of texts asking me if he "missed something" regarding my expectations - I suppose it's standard feedback request when losing a client, but I didn't feel comfortable responding.

So yeah, back to square one now :( Someone on here kindly provided me with the details of a school, so I will get in touch with them.

Yes, it was me. I had that strange first lesson, then gave him the benefit of the doubt and had a second, but it was even worse. He made me sit in the car for 30 minutes and write about what "forward planning" entails when driving. He even told me after looking at test results that I "didn't know what the test was about" lol. I texted him earlier this week to tell him I've decided to move forward with a different school (which I'm still trying to find). He sent me a couple of texts asking me if he "missed something" regarding my expectations - I suppose it's standard feedback request when losing a client, but I didn't feel comfortable responding.

So yeah, back to square one now :( Someone on here kindly provided me with the details of a school, so I will get in touch with them.
Ah that’s a shame for you. I would’ve responded to the text and explained that he put too much emphasis on everything but actually physically driving which is what you were paying him to help you with, not to spend 30 mins of what could be spent driving doing some stupid self reflection. The feedback will be useful to him and I personally would be giving it

Fingers crossed you can find something for you that works x

Is anyone else just getting fed up with learning now and just finding it so draining or is it just me 😂 ready to be done with it and move on with my life with a full license! My first test is 3 weeks away and I have so much anxiety about it to the point I'm having bad dreams about it like it's test day and my instructor never turns up 😅 the thought of it makes me want to be sick and it's just consuming me ☹ keep thinking the worst and telling myself what if I never pass cos I'm just too nervous 😂 now you are allowed your instructor in the car with you again on tests has anyone done it would you say it's a good or bad thing? I'm undecided part of me thinks having the familiarity there and that I feel comfortable driving with him could help my nerves but I don't know
I know that I absolutely don't want my instructor in my car on my test, the fact I'm so adamant is making me question whether he's the instructor for me. We get on, he has really good pass rates but I'm worried / paranoid that he's trying to make me fail 🤣 I know its probably just me but I just feel like he's not explaining things all that well to me, he made me do a mock test 5 weeks in, I cried it was horrible. I feel like I'm learning to drive his car, rather than learning to drive and sure there are transferable skills but I've not been taught to use the handbrake when stopping for longer than a few seconds and being taught to pull away on tick over which is making me a bit 🤔🤔

6 days till test day and I’m already having nightmares 🥲 was out this morning in our car with my husband and never wanted to throat slam someone so much because he keep taking gasps of breath because he doesn’t actually know my capabilities because he’s never been in the car with me 👊🏻

• Sad
  • Haha
6 days till test day and I’m already having nightmares 🥲 was out this morning in our car with my husband and never wanted to throat slam someone so much because he keep taking gasps of breath because he doesn’t actually know my capabilities because he’s never been in the car with me 👊🏻
I can relate to this! my partner used to take me out a lot between lessons so I could practise, to be fair to him he was generally very encouraging but he used to come out with really annoying phrases that used to make me want to strangle him - that or him telling me I was riding the clutch, or in the wrong gear (I passed 6 years ago and he is STILL telling me I'm in the wrong gear when I change down to 2nd at roundabouts - reason being a) most people round here are twats at roundabouts and never indicate, so you can never guarantee if a car opposite you is going straight on, left or right and b) my car's power steering goes off if the revs get even slightly too low so I always pre-emptively go down a gear before that happens).

The good thing is I did pass - as will you (good luck for next week!) and then it doesn't matter what he says - or gasps! - about your driving because you'll be able to drive :)

My instructor gave me a list of show me tell me questions and the answers to read over and it's made me even more nervous because I know if I get one or both of the answers wrong it'll set me up for a bad test 😭😭😭

My instructor gave me a list of show me tell me questions and the answers to read over and it's made me even more nervous because I know if I get one or both of the answers wrong it'll set me up for a bad test 😭😭😭
I googled them the other day - I’m good with studying something I just hope my show me is something stupid like how to put the hazards on 😂

I found watching youtube/videos of the show me tell me questions really helpful, depending on what type of learner you are - you may find that helpful x

Good luck on your test, try to visualise yourself having a really smooth, safe drive and then telling everyone afterwards that you've passed - can't wait to see that you have passed!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Decided I’m not doing my test tomorrow I’m far too nervous 😩 I’ve ordered Kalms from Amazon to see how I go with that for my nerves

• Sad
  • Heart