Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Decided I’m not doing my test tomorrow I’m far too nervous 😩 I’ve ordered Kalms from Amazon to see how I go with that for my nerves
W
I would go for it . You will have to drive in situations when you are nervous after you pass . Is this your first test? I found I learned more from the tests I failed than I did in my later lessons.

Reactions: 3
W
I would go for it . You will have to drive in situations when you are nervous after you pass . Is this your first test? I found I learned more from the tests I failed than I did in my later lessons.
I’ve been throwing up all day with the stress and my instructor is concerned how erratic I have been the last three lessons because I was seriously doing dangerous things 😩😩😩😩 I’ve decided I’m fine not doing it & have given myself 3 weeks to sort my nerves out and I’m gonna go for it and pass first time

• Heart
Reactions: 1
W
I agree with this. I learnt a lot from my first two tests. Sometimes the fear of the prospect of doing the test is actually worse than the test.

Reactions: 4
I’ve been throwing up all day with the stress and my instructor is concerned how erratic I have been the last three lessons because I was seriously doing dangerous things 😩😩😩😩 I’ve decided I’m fine not doing it & have given myself 3 weeks to sort my nerves out and I’m gonna go for it and pass first time
Have you actually cancelled the test? It will cost you either way now. So if you haven't already i would do it if i were you. Mines in 2 weeks and no matter how I feel on the day I'm going to give it my absolute best shot. I feel like the first one is always going to be the worst and most nerve wracking if there is more after that hopefully it gets a little easier and know what to expect and if you don't do this first one and put it off it's always gonna be the worst if that makes sense. I have calmed down the past few days about the test and have told myself it's just a test it's not like I can only do it once or I never get a license and it's what like 35 minutes of driving once the first bit is out the way surely we can pull it together for that amount of time!

Have you actually cancelled the test? It will cost you either way now. So if you haven't already i would do it if i were you. Mines in 2 weeks and no matter how I feel on the day I'm going to give it my absolute best shot. I feel like the first one is always going to be the worst and most nerve wracking if there is more after that hopefully it gets a little easier and know what to expect and if you don't do this first one and put it off it's always gonna be the worst if that makes sense. I have calmed down the past few days about the test and have told myself it's just a test it's not like I can only do it once or I never get a license and it's what like 35 minutes of driving once the first bit is out the way surely we can pull it together for that amount of time!
I haven’t cancelled it I’m just not going I honestly appreciate what yous are saying but I don’t feel I could drive safely to even get through 3 mins of the test with how I’m feeling right now 🥺

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I haven’t cancelled it I’m just not going I honestly appreciate what yous are saying but I don’t feel I could drive safely to even get through 3 mins of the test with how I’m feeling right now 🥺
Rescue remedy, banana, visualise yourself doing well. Tell yourself you can do this. Your instructor wouldn't be happy for you to book a test if they didn't think you had a chance to pass.

Reactions: 4
Tests are in such higher demand that another learner has had to wait until there is more availability as you have had one booked.

If you don't feel like you can drive safely in car with an experienced instructor or examiner and dual controls what are you going to be like on your own in the real world?

Driving tests are stressful , if you have to take more than 1 to pass it will still be stressful next time but you will know what to expect

Reactions: 6
Not passing 1st time isn’t a big deal either. I would honestly do the test, you may surprise yourself.

Reactions: 9
I would do the test and get the experience. If you’re driving dangerously, the examiner will stop the car and the test.

you’re not necessarily going to pass first time no matter how you feel. It all changes on the day.

Reactions: 5
Get some rescue remedy first thing in the morning the supermarkets have it. You can do it! You'll be kicking yourself in a few days wishing you went

As someone who passed on their 6th test (25 years between tests 1 and 6, though I did have a massive break in between🤦‍♀️) I would say just take the test.

On my first test, I burst into tears because I couldn't do something and just got overwhelmed. But that was the worst thing. No one died, and doing badly on that test now is totally irrelevant because eventually I passed. If you fail, you fail. At least you tried. And then you know what to expect, and next time you'll do better.

Just to say I cried also before my 6th test. I couldn't do my manoeuvres the day before, I had a dodgy tummy, I felt stressed to the eyeballs. My partner said well don't do it then. And I thought what a waste of money that would be, had a banana and tried to calm down. And then later that day I cried again because I passed.

I can honestly say that moment of passing my test was one of the High points of my life. It's up there with the births of my kids and being the first person in my family to get a degree.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Stop.
Take a huge deep breath and seriously, chill the duck out!!!
What are you getting so stressed out over? Seriously????

Stop thinking about it as “the test”

Just go tomorrow and have a go. You CAN drive. Just have a shot at it. Take this crazy pressure off - and treat it as a way of experiencing what the test is like. It’s a great way of debunking “the test” - you’ve already paid for it so rather than wasting the money and not getting any benefit out of it, get your game face on, pull yourself together and turn up, have a crack at it and then if you don’t pass, well, who bleeping cares? You’ll have the experience of it under your belt which will help you next time.

Just stop with all the drama!! It’s a sodding driving test!!!! It’s not a life or death situation.

Reactions: 7
Don’t just give the DVSA your money! Think, if you fail you will at least go out for a little bit and the driving examiner will have to have done their job rather than sit around drinking coffee (that’s what my instructor said to me!)! I failed my first one but doing it made me a lot less scared for the second one ❤.

Reactions: 7
First test back in November, failed with about 20 seconds to go before the end. Gutted didn’t even come close!

Second test was tomorrow… Instructor tells me he has Covid 😫

• Sad
First test back in November, failed with about 20 seconds to go before the end. Gutted didn’t even come close!

Second test was tomorrow… Instructor tells me he has Covid 😫
I hope he reimburses you the cost of the test

What is it that’s making you panic?
I have no idea honestly because on my lessons I’m as cool as a cucumber ? I don’t know if it’s maybe other parts of my life that are super stressful right now that are bizarrely surfacing at the wrong bloody time. The examiner sat with me and was lovely but I was shaking that much I couldn’t even turn the key without bursting into tears but my lesson before hand I was absolutely fine just a bit stressed. As soon as I reversed into the starting bay it was like a switch

I was all ready to go and had a panic attack in the test centre couldn’t do it I burst into tears the full monty.
I'm so sorry, especially when you know you can do it and your instructor obviously feels you are ready for the test. It's ok to feel a bit disappointed but try not to let those feelings fester (easier said than done, I know). I hope you are ok x

Had another lesson last night, he did a mock test - emotionally I felt like I went to pot a little bit. He told me off for not shutting up and trying to fill the silences however overall he said my general standard of driving was good. He picked up on a few things but he said the underlying thing overall is confidence in myself. He says he knows I can do it, he has seen me do it and I know everything I need to do I just need to believe in myself a bit more. Maybe a bit hesitation. I spoke to him about feeling like I need to know the details of the reason why I'm doing things and he said that he sees this a lot and that i'm over thinking it. We did drive forward into a parking space and it was horrible 😂 😂 , really busy car park and kids everywhere so he says that it was all just a bit hectic, and I can totally resonate with that. Hope you are all doing ok.