Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m so pleased. The test felt really quick (so much so I actually thought he’d brought me back early) and although I was nervous I just tried to drive normally.
I picked up 2 minors.

Honestly it’s all been worth it just to know I never have to do a lesson again or another test 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Any tips for someone who still gets nervous behind the wheel? Like I passed the test a few months ago but still get a bit anxious with driving. It’s more the thought of it than anything. Like some days I’m fine but then today for example I stalled a few times at a junction, which usually never happens, and has probably knocked my confidence a bit. I know it takes time but I’m desperate for overthinking. Any advice? Thank you 😊

Reactions: 1
Any tips for someone who still gets nervous behind the wheel? Like I passed the test a few months ago but still get a bit anxious with driving. It’s more the thought of it than anything. Like some days I’m fine but then today for example I stalled a few times at a junction, which usually never happens, and has probably knocked my confidence a bit. I know it takes time but I’m desperate for overthinking. Any advice? Thank you 😊
Might sound a bit mad but besides the obvious advice of practising daily, YouTube is full of night time hypnosis tracks to overcome anxiety when driving. I used it leading up to my test a year ago and it really worked.

It’s coming up to a year since I started learning, I had a couple breaks and now I’m learning again with a different instructor.

I am sooo anxious with driving now I have had such a bad experience with it, any tips?? I genuinely dread getting in the car and things as simple as hill starts and just starting and stopping make me want to cry 😂 I just don’t think it’s for me at all but I need to pass to be able to live my life.

I don’t have anyone reliable that can take me out practising in my own car (half of the bad experiences come with the man I used to practice outside of lessons with). My mum can take me out every now and then but I’m so anxious I’d feel bad putting her through it 😫

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Just make sure you are going out driving every single day. The more you drive the more natural is becomes and the more your muscle memory takes over until driving just becomes completely natural and you don’t even think about it. If you don’t already have one, get a sat nav. It might sound silly but having something there to prompt you can help you feel more comfortable, even if you don’t actually need it to find where your going.

It’s coming up to a year since I started learning, I had a couple breaks and now I’m learning again with a different instructor.

I am sooo anxious with driving now I have had such a bad experience with it, any tips?? I genuinely dread getting in the car and things as simple as hill starts and just starting and stopping make me want to cry 😂 I just don’t think it’s for me at all but I need to pass to be able to live my life.

I don’t have anyone reliable that can take me out practising in my own car (half of the bad experiences come with the man I used to practice outside of lessons with). My mum can take me out every now and then but I’m so anxious I’d feel bad putting her through it 😫
this is me… not totally nervous, ok I’m lessons but just struggling to pass but really not sure it’s for me….. I can’t believe just how hard it is … how do some people just pick it up?

again like yourself I’ve no one to take me out regularly except my lesson a week

• Heart
I used those bach's rescue remedy drops when I was learning to drive, not sure if they worked or if I fooled myself into thinking they did, but passed first time. Could always speak to the gp if your anxiety is concerning, and see if they'd give you a few weeks of propranolol or similar.

Just found this thread! I had my first practical test this morning and failed :( so gutted but I only got 3 minors bur failed because I didn’t drive fast enough on e dual carriageway

• Sad
  • Heart
I failed… Again.
He made me drive miles out of my test area and it completely threw me off 🤷🏼‍♀️ Apparently my fail was turning right on a junction.. I had 2 minors.

I don’t think I want to keep trying.. My friend failed for the third time recently too and it feels impossible to pass. The roads are manic, there’s roadworks everywhere. Blahhhh.

The people that passed years ago had it easier because they didn’t have to drive independently so I don’t feel like they understand.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I failed… Again.
He made me drive miles out of my test area and it completely threw me off 🤷🏼‍♀️ Apparently my fail was turning right on a junction.. I had 2 minors.

I don’t think I want to keep trying.. My friend failed for the third time recently too and it feels impossible to pass. The roads are manic, there’s roadworks everywhere. Blahhhh.

The people that passed years ago had it easier because they didn’t have to drive independently so I don’t feel like they understand.
Whatever you do, please don’t give up. I was in the same boat as you having also failed 3 times and seriously lacking confidence in my driving ability because of it. From start to end it took me around 3 and a half years, with Covid in the middle and all that. Honestly it just felt like I was throwing away money on something I was never going to achieve. I know it’s hard but when you do get that pass, it’ll be that bit sweeter 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Whatever you do, please don’t give up. I was in the same boat as you having also failed 3 times and seriously lacking confidence in my driving ability because of it. From start to end it took me around 3 and a half years, with Covid in the middle and all that. Honestly it just felt like I was throwing away money on something I was never going to achieve. I know it’s hard but when you do get that pass, it’ll be that bit sweeter 💕
Thank you for your comment 🙂
Nobody wants me to give up but it’s hard not to feel disheartened. My instructor wouldn’t let me leave without pencilling in another lesson for a couple of weeks time with no pressure to do it but I just don’t know if I can face months of this again.

Funnily enough my brother also failed 3x but he did give up.

I failed… Again.

Don’t give up. You ARE test ready. You had 2 minors today and were just unlucky with the major. The absolute worst thing to do now would be to Jack it in. Don’t!!!!! Have a few more lessons and get another test booked in - you WILL get there, I promise.

Don’t give up. You ARE test ready. You had 2 minors today and were just unlucky with the major. The absolute worst thing to do now would be to Jack it in. Don’t!!!!! Have a few more lessons and get another test booked in - you WILL get there, I promise.
Thank you for this 🙂
I’ve got my car sat on my drive so I guess I’ll have to just go again.

Never give up! My neighbour told me she failed her test 7 times! Imagine if she thought after the 7th attempt no that's it now not knowing she would pass next time! That's always how I look at it. I imagine you've already invested alot of time and money into this so that's even more reason not too give up. Don't be too hard on yourself just picture the day you've passed and how amazing you'll feel! I passed 4 months ago and it's changed my life 😊

• Heart
Don’t give up seriously. I failed 4 times 4 years ago in a manual, gave up and now I regret it. Keep failing is what I’ve learned. I’ve bought an automatic now so hopefully I have more luck with that

• Heart
I failed… Again.

I know right now it’s hard to not feel disheartened and how you are feeling, but please don’t give up. You can drive. You wouldn’t be doing your test if you didn’t. I passed last year after 2 years of learning, 5 cancelled tests, 2 fails for ridiculous things and one complaint about the examiner later. Might I add I only had 3 minors on my first test I failed on and I was less than 5 mins from the test centre. Take it on the chin, get your next test booked and remind yourself why you started and that you can drive, don’t let the money go to waste. It doesn’t matter whether you pass first time or 7th time, because I promise you when you do it will feel amazing.

• Heart
I failed… Again.

Please don’t give up! I know exactly how you feel. I know it’s disheartening but your instructor wouldn’t have you sitting a test if they didn’t think you were capable of passing it! You will get there, take it from someone who passed after 4 goes and about 6 years of learning, I thought I would never see the day but it’s totally worth it in the end. I think a lot of it is luck too on the day with traffic, other road users etc. If it helps, there’s DGN driving school on YouTube who have videos showing exactly what you need to do. 😊 best of luck to you, you will get there!

• Heart