LBC Radio #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On a side not, got to give credit to Steve's producers. They must have to go bed early to produce the show too. Got to be pretty rough on them, despite their ages.
If I was on that slot, I'd probably treat it like a night shift rather than waking up at 1am and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do. It'll be Ferrari's people who have the real early starts.

Reactions: 2
Ian dale said he's just signed a new contract with lbc. I wonder if they're all doing them at the moment? Changes in September seems likely, although probably minor.

Why is shelagh so safe? Out of the main lbc presenters she seems the most replaceable, the others won't be going anywhere. Hopefully nick Abbotts Sunday show will go to someone more suited.

Ian dale said he's just signed a new contract with lbc. I wonder if they're all doing them at the moment? Changes in September seems likely, although probably minor.

Why is shelagh so safe? Out of the main lbc presenters she seems the most replaceable, the others won't be going anywhere. Hopefully nick Abbotts Sunday show will go to someone more suited.
I've never understood why they put Nick on on a Sunday and made him do a more serious show. I can only assume it is just a temporary fix so they wanted to keep style of shows similar to what had been on a Sunday night previously. I was excited when Nick got the Sunday slot but I never listen to him because I don't like that show.

Reactions: 3
Full-on Afghanistan with Maajid Nawaz today, it's looking like the whole 3 hours devoted to it.
Ben "bollocks" Wallace :oops:
James would have instead given us 3 hours on what is your favourite McDonalds milkshake?

Anything to avoid Afghanistan where the "adults are now running" US foreign policy under Joe Biden. How is that going?

LBC has struggled with female presenters and she has been a success overall. She struggled at first as the audience figures were poor but they improved. Of course they are out of date now but as far as we know....

Who would they replace her with? Julia Hitler-Brewer used to offer some entertainment but she has gone overboard on the anti-vaxx stuff I think. I haven't listened to Aasmah Mir for a while but she used to be good.

Last edited:
I've never understood why they put Nick on on a Sunday and made him do a more serious show. I can only assume it is just a temporary fix so they wanted to keep style of shows similar to what had been on a Sunday night previously. I was excited when Nick got the Sunday slot but I never listen to him because I don't like that show.
Yeah it only ever seemed like a quick fix while they put Tom on during the day. Carole does keep bitching about being forced by lbc to do a more serious weekend show on their podcast 😆

James would have instead given us 3 hours on what is your favourite McDonalds milkshake?

Anything to avoid Afghanistan where the "adults are now running" US foreign policy under Joe Biden. How is that going?

LBC has struggled with female presenters and she has been a success overall. She struggled at first as the audience figures were poor but they improved. Of course they are out of date now but as far as we know....

Who would they replace her with? Julia Hitler-Brewer used to offer some entertainment but she has gone overboard on the anti-vaxx stuff I think. I haven't listened to Aasmah Mir for a while but she used to be good.
You know what I totally forgot she was a woman, it does look very sausage heavy with her gone:

Screenshot_20210825-071823_Chrome.jpg

Maajid's on the money when he says that The Taliban are only playing nice/angling for the funds that the IMF have frozen.
That & the other aid money which helps to fund Afghanistan.

Reactions: 3
Maajid's on the money when he says that The Taliban are only playing nice/angling for the funds that the IMF have frozen.
No money should be forthcoming for Afghanistan full stop. Why do we want to send money and aid to known terrorists? A Leopard doesn't change its spots, nor does the Taliban.

I'm glad I haven't listened to him this week if he's just saying the obvious surface level stuff.

I'd quite like a 10 min podcast on what maajid thinks, but 3 hours I can't be dealing with

So is the general consensus for the new thread LBC Radio #3 ? As much as a new name would be fun, I think it would confuse some people.

I'm glad I haven't listened to him this week if he's just saying the obvious surface level stuff.

I'd quite like a 10 min podcast on what maajid thinks, but 3 hours I can't be dealing with
He's only slightly more listenable than O'Brien 😁

• Haha
Yeah it only ever seemed like a quick fix while they put Tom on during the day. Carole does keep bitching about being forced by lbc to do a more serious weekend show on their podcast 😆

You know what I totally forgot she was a woman, it does look very sausage heavy with her gone:

View attachment 728877
What is it they say. Pale, male and stale lol.

Reactions: 1

View attachment 728877
It's never been any different though.

We get the girlies usually in the 1-4 slot ... Alison Bell, Jeni Barnett, Julia Hartley Brewer and I can't remember if Petrie Hosken was afternoon or drive.

Other than that female presenters seem to come and go very quickly.

So is the general consensus for the new thread LBC Radio #3 ? As much as a new name would be fun, I think it would confuse some people.
I think just keep it simple, it's too slow moving and varied.

Should probably be moved to the TV, film and media forum too

Glad we're getting to a third thread though 😁

We get the girlies usually in the 1-4 slot ... Alison Bell, Jeni Barnett, Julia Hartley Brewer and I can't remember if Petrie Hosken was afternoon or drive.

She did both shows but mainly towards the end she did the weekend early afternoon slots. At first she replaced Jenni Barnet in about 2010 at lunch times for a while, then changed to weekends before leaving in about 2014 for those Radio London early breakfast shows up against Steve Allen.

Going way back to the late nineties, she co hosted the LBC drive time shows with Petroc Trelawny, if anyone remembers that name!

Don't forget Sandi Toksvig also did early afternoons, with J O'B often a guest and Daisy McAndrew (née Sampson) did late afternoons. I think Petrie did Saturday afternoons.

The other female presenters I remember were Caroline Feraday (ooh, the stories about her and Frank Skinner 😮) on Friday or Saturday early evenings. Also there were two other women who did Arts type programmes on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. One was Charlie something (not Gurling) and the other I can't recall her name, but she had been a presenter for many years on different stations. I also think she was/is a regular voice-over.

Last edited:
Thanks to a friend reminding me, Anna Raeburn used to also do the early afternoon slot, and also Emma Barnett was a female presenter at one time. I can't remember which slot, but she has done very well - left LBC for BBC 5 Live and is now the presenter of Woman's Hour on BBC Radio 4.

Indeed, quite a few women have been on LBC but hardly many lasted/stayed for a very long time.

There was Jane Moore who co-presented with John Nicholson, an early breakfast show. Then there was Fiona Richmond with her (midnight?) 'adults only' show !!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.