LBC Chit Chat #8 Steve Allen has left the building

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder why it matters much to him; to the extent that it seems to dominate his life. I can understand why people whose lives have been materially affected bearing a grudge but apart from having to produce his passport for his annual Greek holiday, how does Brexit affect him? He's built his recent career on whining about it. He should be grateful.
He is rather like Steve Bray who just looks obsessed. It is right in a democracy that people can protest but some lose the plot.

I think it is also true that James has little else to talk about these days. He has gone stale.

Reactions: 3
He's never given a specific diagnosis of what was wrong but it was obviously prostrate related and he has said several times about blockages and blood clots. I think he must have been quite poorly.
Obviously I meant to type prostate but with Steve you never know. It could have been prostrate related :ROFLMAO:

Whenever I happen upon a picture of O'Brien I always note how downhill his appearance has gone, that he looks unwell & defeated. The name calling is repulsive and so immature. He's such a downer. Three voices I cannot bear are Megan & Harry and James O'Brien.
---

This morning I heard NF going on about a Sam Smith video. I have just watched it and okay it could be termed as slightly suggestive, but nothing as bad as Nick made it sound. Also the clip that he played was very 'noisy', listening to the track online it almost has a tune ! Did anyone else hear him ?
I saw a bit of this and found it repulsive rather than suggestive.

Reactions: 1
He is rather like Steve Bray who just looks obsessed. It is right in a democracy that people can protest but some lose the plot.

I think it is also true that James has little else to talk about these days. He has gone stale.
This is most enjoyable:

• Haha
This is from a report on the latest RAJAR figures

In radio terms – LBC is streets ahead of both TalkRadio and GB News. And it doesn’t carry all those costs of broadcasting a TV service, with owner Global preferring to offer its video as a live stream which can be suitably clipped up for social networks as needed.

In the past I’d wondered if Global wasn’t missing a trick by not placing the video output of LBC on TV. I’m not so sure now – there are significant costs involved in getting onto Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media. And the station is doing just fine being mostly exclusive to radio.

By the way, for those interested, James O’Brien’s mid-morning show on LBC remains just a hair ahead of Nick Ferrari’s breakfast show. O’Brien’s reach is 1,372,000 compared to Ferrari’s 1,353,000.

I am willing to come out of retirement to take on his job, when he hangs up his headphones !!
I listened to a little bit of Allen's show this morning & he mentioned that he drove past Brinsworth House recently.
Swears he spotted Norman Collier sitting at a window.

This is from a report on the latest RAJAR figures

In radio terms – LBC is streets ahead of both TalkRadio and GB News. And it doesn’t carry all those costs of broadcasting a TV service, with owner Global preferring to offer its video as a live stream which can be suitably clipped up for social networks as needed.

In the past I’d wondered if Global wasn’t missing a trick by not placing the video output of LBC on TV. I’m not so sure now – there are significant costs involved in getting onto Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin Media. And the station is doing just fine being mostly exclusive to radio.

By the way, for those interested, James O’Brien’s mid-morning show on LBC remains just a hair ahead of Nick Ferrari’s breakfast show. O’Brien’s reach is 1,372,000 compared to Ferrari’s 1,353,000.
But Ferrari wins in London:
'In London, Nick Ferrari at Breakfast is the number one commercial breakfast show for all three measures – reach, hours and share. In terms of Weekly Reach, LBC has 827k, Heart Breakfast is in second place with 628k closely followed by Magic Breakfast at 619k.' Radio Today.
According to the graphs Paul Easton used to post, Jobbie picked up high figures following on from Nick and then dropped as the morning went on.

In summary, around 1/70th of the UK population listen to either of those 2 broadcasting blowhards on their valve radios.

• Haha
For an experiment I'd love to see James and Nick swap slots then compare and contrast figures. And just for shits and giggles then try the same but with AI Robots who aggregate all the guff on talkradio and present the resulting confection.

That's true, but radio people seem to take these figures seriously!
Being supported by the license fee, BBC don't have to worry about money but commercial radio does. Their income depends on popularity. No listeners = no ads = no income.

Reactions: 2
10:07. Click off. :rolleyes: I've never known a host to talk about himself so much ... and it's not as if the stories are interesting! He has about 6 in total, all dull.

Once he championed.. poor bullied Meghan Markle again I switched off..

That is a hair's breadth. They seem to leapfrog each other each time the RAJAR figures come out.

They are both very good at what they do and LBC/Global must be delighted. They both have a very firm fan base.

However, James must thank his lucky stars for radio. He said today that he did a pilot for Chanel 4 and once they saw it, it was binned. So that's C4, ITV and BBC he's tried. Chanel 5 next?? :ROFLMAO:

He was insufferable during Mystery Hour today desperately trying to answer all the questions. Mind you even I was shouting 'osmosis' at one of the questions.

• Haha
However, James must thank his lucky stars for radio. He said today that he did a pilot for Chanel 4 and once they saw it, it was binned. So that's C4, ITV and BBC he's tried. Chanel 5 next?? :ROFLMAO:
I know it's an awful thing to say but Nick, James and Shelagh really do have faces best suited for the wireless medium.

But Ferrari wins in London:
'In London, Nick Ferrari at Breakfast is the number one commercial breakfast show for all three measures – reach, hours and share. In terms of Weekly Reach, LBC has 827k, Heart Breakfast is in second place with 628k closely followed by Magic Breakfast at 619k.' Radio Today.
According to the graphs Paul Easton used to post, Jobbie picked up high figures following on from Nick and then dropped as the morning went on.
Yes the numbers are a peak but the pattern is very different.

For example Steve Allen pushes the LBC numbers higher with his "spikers". Then the push higher continues with Nick Ferrari.

James O'Brien benefits from the above but then his audience falls. In the days of the Paul Easton graphs I think it used to halve.

It was going well ... I like a bit of Boris bashing ... then the obligatory 'I'm writing a book' plug, then the usual 'I was being interviewed last night' ... does the bloke ever stop self-promoting? The very thing he criticizes (quite rightly) Johnson for! duck SAKE. 😂 (I have to laugh otherwise I'd cry).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.