Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

neroli

VIP Member
Was there a mental health discussion this morning? Poor HE/poor estranged family etc etc exploited by evil RW tabloid?

Or was it a junior doctors strike love-in?

Couldn't bear to listen in to any of his shows this week.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Perhaps he is getting nervous after the Daily Telegraph reported this. Sorry for the sizing switches as it was behind a paywall.

"
LBC owner shakes up management amid decline in listeners
Key figures depart at UK's largest commercial radio group as audiences tune out"

With someone coming in from a place James hates.

"

Darren Singer, a veteran media executive who previously worked at the Guardian, stepped down as chief financial officer in July.
He has been replaced by Ben Porter, a former Rupert Murdoch lieutenant at Foxtel and Sky.

BIB ... James won't like that.

neroli

VIP Member
Am I right in thinking that Ian Payne used to do the football commentary on LBC back in the day when live matches were broadcast? When it was a London station?

EdwardTattsyrup

Indeed. Plus he speaks way too fast, gave me a headache after 10 minutes.
I like him. He’s probably not suited to a typical LBC-style show but he is a very good reporter. So what if he was involved with the Labour Party? As long as that doesn’t affect his reporting (and no, criticising the Tory government does not automatically make you a Labourite) it shouldn’t matter. Anyway we’re not exactly short of Tories in our media.

Fledgling Psycho

VIP Member
Afterwards Marr was proclaiming how his wife was his soulmate. Needed someone to look after him after his stroke, more like. Was it caused by his silly exercise craze?

Overall he seems to be quite an unpleasant piece of work.
Pretty sure I saw a picture of him and some woman up an alley doing "romantic" things. Shortly after, he had a stroke and the loyal wife stepped in. He's a lucky man.

Ndrangheta

VIP Member
Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel both attended George Osborne's wedding.
Those two never miss out on a freebie, trust me. Surprised Matt Frei wasn't there also, he's good mates with Maitliss and Sopel.

Nick Ferrari this morning, getting off with his anti-BBC schtick ... "I don't know about you, but my weekend has been taken up with the news of a scandal at the BBC". Really Nick? You need to get out more mate.

Last edited:

Maggie Moggy

VIP Member
Does Claire Foges still do the Saturday 4-7 slot? I don't think Marina Purkiss is still around?

Ali Miraj was on the early shift this morning. No Oli again...Hooray!
Ali is the regular presenter for this weekend slot but he seems to be the weekday go-to for when Iain, Tom et al are away; hence we early birds occasionally wake up to rubbish when Ali has Sat/Sun off.

The Big One

Chatty Member
Quite a shake up of programmes this weekend.

Ian Payne covering breakfast 7-10am
P:aul Brand at 10am followed by
Matthew Wright at 1pm
Clare Foges (Sat) at 4pm
Ali Mirag (Sun) at 4pm

Ben Kentish 10pm - Mon to Thurs. It is lucky Parliament are in recess, or is he going to relinquish his duties as Westminster Editor?

Natasha Clark starts as the new Political Editor this month. The press release says " She will work alongside some of the biggest names in broadcasting .... and with LBC’s award-winning team of journalists, including Westminster Editor and presenter Ben Kentish. "

Andrew Marr returns to the 'team sheet' next week.

Last edited:

The Big One

Chatty Member
It's out -

18:01
BreakingEdwards receiving hospital treatment
In her statement, Vicky Flind said her husband Huw Edwards was "suffering from serious mental health issues" and is now "receiving in-patient hospital care where he will stay for the foreseeable future" as she asked for privacy for her family.

Posted at 17:5717:57
BreakingHuw Edwards named as presenter by his wife
Vicky Flind, the wife of news reader Huw Edwards, has named him as the BBC presenter facing allegations over payments for sexually explicit images in a statement issued on his behalf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66159469 and also Andrew Marr

Maggie Moggy

VIP Member
Bugger! I've got to keep Jobby on this morning. He's got Mick Herron, one of my favourite writers coming in for a chat. MH's Slough House series of books about MI5 are brilliant and very funny. I do hope there's a new one coming out.
---
Oh good grief! He's drawing an analogy between the government's treatment of people who could work while receiving sickness benefit with Nadine Dories being given a column in the Mail. And to think they could have had Jobby!

Last edited:

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I've been catching up on the weekend's Nicky Abbot show. I could not have agreed with him more about the women's football. He's not a fan.