Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Also ‘the media contact me every day trying to get me to write their stories for them’ (again paraphrasing)

It’s called right of reply you moron, and you’d be complaining if they didn’t offer it to you 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 35

MakeDamnSure

VIP Member
The whole ‘no one can change your life except you’ message is so toxic. It’s a great sound bite and if your having a great life then it’s all because of you, yay, give yourself a pat on the back. But if you are struggling then that must mean you’re not trying hard enough?

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Her tributes for Jamal Edwards are really odd.

Sharing the screenshot of him messaging her saying nice to see you today and her literally just saying 'you too' is so weird. As if she's trying to prove to the world she knew him by sharing private messages. If that was one of my friends, my message would be a lot more enthusiastic than what she replied with but that's just me.
Then sharing a script. She is so desperate to show she knew him when in all honesty it looks like she's just trying to put herself in the spotlight and feed off someone's passing which is just sick really.

He was a talented, intelligent person and it's incredibly sad, RIP 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 33

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Or maybe an English or even American actress trying to do a phoney Irish accent is more comparable to her voice. She defo sounds more British to me, serves her right for moving to the sterile wastelands of London so soon.
Oh would ya ever fuck off with this nonsense 🤣

• Haha

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
"If you've had a bad day, I promise tomorrow will be better"....is she suggesting people commit suicide because they had a bad day?? And how does she know tomorrow will be better?
People who peddle this brand of performative nonsense should be fired from a cannon directly into the sun.

• Heart
  • Haha

Eureka

VIP Member
Has she forgotten how she tried to set her army of minions on a writer for asking a fairly innocent question? What a stupid fucking bitch she is milking Caroline’s death and using her memory to try and stay relevant. She’s absolutely shameless.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Couldn’t agree more. I work in this area and even after my education and training I would never put some blanket statement up online because it can be really harmful.

I’m sick of these celebs who think having come through some mini crisis gives them an expert opinion on how to talk to people who are really struggling.
There’s an influencer (or maybe Instagrammer, I always get them muddled up), Katie Hayes who has been known to impart such wonderful tips as if you feel low, get up in the morning and make your bed and you’ll have a better day. And there was an article shared on the the Jack Monroe thread with ‘Top 10 songs to cheer you up when you feel down’ (@heretoreaditall2019 was that the Breakthrough mag, can you remember?) Neither of those are unreasonable if you’re feeling low or a bit out of sorts but people don’t seem to distinguish it, it’s a blanket message from a lot of people who talk about depression or anxiety without having much insight or experience in it

I really fucking hate the way she’s talking about Caroline here, without actually naming her - she knows she is no position to talk about Caroline but can’t help herself. Using Caroline’s memory to try to garner sympathy for herself and at the same time using it as an opportunity to fire a shot across the bows at ‘the media’- URGH. It’s so disgusting.

So calculated, shows there’s no low to which she won’t stoop. She has crammed a lot of nuggets in the message as well eg, ‘those who employ me know the truth’ (paraphrasing). Trying to bluff her job is secure?

She has basically taken an important day and used it to issue a public warning to the media to back off or else. I hope the media don’t lose their nerve - I hope they continue to call her out where it’s due.
How can she promise tomorrow will be better? How can she turn that around to be all about her? She is a fucking horror.

I had a period last year of pretty regular thoughts of suicide. I know that if I really wanted to take my own life, I would have at least tried but that seemed to make my thought process harder to deal with. I’ve had depression at varying levels for a lot of years and I’d got so tired of it. That coupled with a diagnosis of my son I couldn’t deal with and taking a medication that not only wasn’t working but was playing havoc with my weight, I could not believe even my husband when I said tomorrow would be better.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain that can’t be cured by positive thinking, lavender, listening to ‘Walking on Sunshine’ or making our bed every morning alone. Of course we all have things we know improve our mood but you have to get to that level in the first place. I’m sick of these people putting out patronising sound bites on something they know fuck all about.

I haven’t had a suicidal thought for a while now, I was scared of the ‘wash out’ involved in trying another anti-depressant but the Psychiatrist who told me I wouldn’t feel better on any other medication and they were running out of things for me to try left and his replacement tried me on a new one and it’s made a huge difference. It’s not all sunshine and tweeting birds but THAT gives me as much of a guarantee that tomorrow will likely be ok and that’s good enough for me.

Sending you all lots of love ♥

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Love_hate_small_town

Chatty Member
Please let me formally take back any PND suggestion. I am so enraged by the post. It’s so immensely hurtful and unhelpful to people who may be/ may have struggled with severe mental health problems and also to those around them. Cheer up babes, tomorrow will be better. Arghhh, that’s unhelpful when you’ve had a bad day at work (rants to fade).

I feel like she is trying and spectacularly failing to touch on what Aisling Bea explores in her series ‘this way up’ and in her incredibly moving guardian article about her father’s suicide where she talks of her experience coming to terms with her father’s decision and how it was a moment, a period of time when he felt there was no other way but that is so different to saying - you’ll feel better tomorrow.

Arghhh. Anyway, I’d really recommend that ashling article, and her series.

Urgh Laura really is something else.

Oh and yes, completely agree re the toxic toxic toxic positivity. It’s v on brand- no one can change your life except you- if you are struggling it’s on you, if you feel suicidal, pull your socks up. Look at me, I’m not suicidal even though people are mean to me because I’m so great. 😩

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Good for her! I've no interest in moving to London. I want to stay Irish and in Ireland.
You are exactly the ignorant and backward Irish type that give the rest a bad name.

There was no life or opportunity for many Irish who left. My parents included. They are now successful and are no less Irish.

• Heart

lavendervase

VIP Member
Wow! What the hell was that? I’ve lost someone close to me to suicide in the last year and reading Laura’s “woe is me I’ve a huge job people write fake stories about me” tale just isn’t even relevant to anything. It’s bizarre, self indulgent and completely inappropriate.

• Heart

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
I really fucking hate the way she’s talking about Caroline here, without actually naming her - she knows she is no position to talk about Caroline but can’t help herself. Using Caroline’s memory to try to garner sympathy for herself and at the same time using it as an opportunity to fire a shot across the bows at ‘the media’- URGH. It’s so disgusting.

So calculated, shows there’s no low to which she won’t stoop. She has crammed a lot of nuggets in the message as well eg, ‘those who employ me know the truth’ (paraphrasing). Trying to bluff her job is secure?

She has basically taken an important day and used it to issue a public warning to the media to back off or else. I hope the media don’t lose their nerve - I hope they continue to call her out where it’s due.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Heart