Laura Jane Williams

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s not the first time she’s used sexual abuse as a fun little quirk. Becoming literally opens with her having painful anal sex and then she never references it again. It’s like Fleabag without the genius. I’m finding her increasingly distasteful.

Reactions: 5
It’s not the first time she’s used sexual abuse as a fun little quirk. Becoming literally opens with her having painful anal sex and then she never references it again. It’s like Fleabag without the genius. I’m finding her increasingly distasteful.
What I don’t understand is that if you realised that even ONE person was triggered, wouldn’t you be mortified and take it down? It’s not some literary masterpiece it’s a bleeping Instagram caption. I’m a little bit disgusted with humanity when I see tit like this go down.

What I don’t understand is that if you realised that even ONE person was triggered, wouldn’t you be mortified and take it down? It’s not some literary masterpiece it’s a bleeping Instagram caption. I’m a little bit disgusted with humanity when I see tit like this go down.
That’s the problem, she thinks it is a literary masterpiece. I can’t understand how stupid and self important you must be to think that that caption was ok.

Reactions: 4
That’s the problem, she thinks it is a literary masterpiece. I can’t understand how stupid and self important you must be to think that that caption was ok.
You can only be that stupid and that entitled if you're surrounded by yes men (and women) who tell you you're wonderful all the time.

Don't just get mad at LJ, get mad at the morons commenting "oh I can't WAIT to read more about Clem" *flutters eyelashes* *giggles* why aren't THEY calling her out..

You can only be that stupid and that entitled if you're surrounded by yes men (and women) who tell you you're wonderful all the time.

Don't just get mad at LJ, get mad at the morons commenting "oh I can't WAIT to read more about Clem" *flutters eyelashes* *giggles* why aren't THEY calling her out..
I said that earlier, that people were loving it and it’s disgusting. Why couldn’t they see the problem? Because they want to suck up to her in the hope of a mention in her stories and 30 new followers?

Reactions: 2
Her latest post is vile. I felt for Laura when she found this forum but I feel more sorry that she hasn’t got anyone decent enough in her life to sit her down and be honest with her. My parents/friends/husband would definitely have steered me away from the false accent, the inflated ego and the hypocrisy etc. They aren’t attractive qualities. Where she lacks in talent (let’s be honest her writing is awful) she makes up for it with business acumen and shameless self promotion. An empire built on authenticity when you yourself are disingenuous is hardly going to end well....

Reactions: 11
Her latest post is vile. I felt for Laura when she found this forum but I feel more sorry that she hasn’t got anyone decent enough in her life to sit her down and be honest with her. My parents/friends/husband would definitely have steered me away from the false accent, the inflated ego and the hypocrisy etc. They aren’t attractive qualities. Where she lacks in talent (let’s be honest her writing is awful) she makes up for it with business acumen and shameless self promotion. An empire built on authenticity when you yourself are disingenuous is hardly going to end well....
I agree with this 100 percent. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a lone wolf or whatever but I can't help but notice that people fall away from her life quite randomly and with alarming regularity. Often they seem pretty sensible (or more sensible than she is) and I can't help but wonder if they would be the people who would otherwise steer her in the right direction and keep her grounded. She seems to spend a huge amount of time talking into the void and though she is clearly arguably very good at the self promo stuff, left unchecked I can see how she could easily get it wrong.

Reactions: 3
I felt for Laura too when she found this forum. I was a BIG BIG fan of hers, and I actually really like her writing. But there was always a little niggle in the back of my mind that she never seemed quite as nice, or honest or as authentic as she made out.

Things like this little outfit story are just vile... it was just so throwaway, to include SA as a theme. No thought for someone reading it who could be upset by it, then getting petulant when someone had the temerity to call her on it, only a few minutes after her trigger warning edit.
I feel like we should be able to expect better behaviour from her, as someone who bases most of her work on the lives and lived experiences of women.

I guess the problem with instagram stories/blogging is that influencers let you into their "life" (or a carefully curated version of it...) and as the audience, you end up feeling you have quite an intimate connection with them. Rightly or wrongly, that's the power of instagram stories and blogging. And it means that any indiscretion, small or large, feels really magnified.

In the case of LJW, I just feel really let down when she does stuff like the SA reference, like I made a mistake and misjudged her character. It's like being let down by a mate you hold in high regard. I know she's not my mate, but the false intimacy from instagram stories makes you feel like she is.

Apols, I've talked my way in a circle here. I don't think she's the worst person in the world, but I'm just not really a fan of hers any more.

Reactions: 7
You've all put it far more eloquently than me, but she has behaved like a first class bleep with that post. Disgusting.

I have followed her on Instagram and read her blog for years and I always enjoyed it. Sadly her recent behaviour has led me to unfollow her. This is hardly surprising as LJW always preaches about following who you connect with and not being afraid of offending by an unfollow. I much prefer other accounts like Charlotte Jacklin, Wonderful_U and Lauren Mahon who like many IGers maintain an authentic voice without selling courses on authenticity. Her adoption storyline concerns me particularly and that’s obviously something she will have to work out with her social worker when it comes to introducing her adopted child to social media. Even more so if the child’s relatives are aware of her public persona. I do hope she still has the Google alerts set up so that she can learn and grow from this. She has been pretty careless with her words and to be honest I find the peculiar and inconsistent accent another reason to unfollow, it’s not content I can relate to.

Completely agree with all said. I wonder if the social worker has read her blog, there’s some astonishingly insensitive and rude stuff on there too, including some very blatant racism.

Reactions: 3
The accent thing really bothers me, it's all over the place and I refuse to believe that's real.

Oh dear... I'd like to hope she isn't racist but I guess if you are that self centred you are probably capable of doing all kinds of offensive tit.

I agree with this 100 percent. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a lone wolf or whatever but I can't help but notice that people fall away from her life quite randomly and with alarming regularity. Often they seem pretty sensible (or more sensible than she is) and I can't help but wonder if they would be the people who would otherwise steer her in the right direction and keep her grounded. She seems to spend a huge amount of time talking into the void and though she is clearly arguably very good at the self promo stuff, left unchecked I can see how she could easily get it wrong.
And now she's 'reevaluating' her time online because she has to think about a child coming into the picture. MY ARSE. She is reevaluating her time online because she continues to read this forum and she is trying to think about how she can chameleon herself into some different character that is more appealing because some people have seen through her. The only affirmation she gets is from people online so I don't know how she'll manage without it... guess that will be left for the kid to give her!

I felt for Laura too when she found this forum. I was a BIG BIG fan of hers, and I actually really like her writing. But there was always a little niggle in the back of my mind that she never seemed quite as nice, or honest or as authentic as she made out.

Things like this little outfit story are just vile... it was just so throwaway, to include SA as a theme. No thought for someone reading it who could be upset by it, then getting petulant when someone had the temerity to call her on it, only a few minutes after her trigger warning edit.
I feel like we should be able to expect better behaviour from her, as someone who bases most of her work on the lives and lived experiences of women.

I guess the problem with instagram stories/blogging is that influencers let you into their "life" (or a carefully curated version of it...) and as the audience, you end up feeling you have quite an intimate connection with them. Rightly or wrongly, that's the power of instagram stories and blogging. And it means that any indiscretion, small or large, feels really magnified.

In the case of LJW, I just feel really let down when she does stuff like the SA reference, like I made a mistake and misjudged her character. It's like being let down by a mate you hold in high regard. I know she's not my mate, but the false intimacy from instagram stories makes you feel like she is.

Apols, I've talked my way in a circle here. I don't think she's the worst person in the world, but I'm just not really a fan of hers any more.
I think you articulated it perfectly, influencer stuff: all so true. To be fair maybe it's not entirely her fault but sometimes she really puts her foot in it.

I always get irritated when people get called out on these forums and dismiss people who post on them as "haters". From what I've seen there are a hell of a lot of former fans (ugh) who are just disappointed in people who show their true colours. I know I feel like a bit of an idiot when someone I previously liked and supported turned out to be not so great.

I agree with that sentiment. I tend to follow people who in some way reflect either my tastes, opinions or aspirations. We’re all human and make mistakes and it’s unfair to hold IGers to an unrealistic standard, but when you’ve cheered someone on for years and then they switch into something you weren’t expecting, it is jarring. It also prompted a bit of self-reflection as I doubted what it was I had connected with in the first place.

I couldn’t agree more with the idea that we shouldn’t hold IGers to an unrealistic standard - we are all human after all. Having said that though, influencers who have such a platform must acknowledge the added responsibility that comes with that. Regardless of who you are though, flippantly referencing sexual assault and child abuse is utterly indefensible. I agree- I cannot connect with Laura and her content now, she increasingly strikes me as a fundamentally unkind and immoral person and I take far more umbrage with that than I do her eyebrows or accent. Her content is no longer positive or relevant to me. She needs to spend less time focusing on how bloody brilliant she thinks she is and more time taking an interest in the people around her. Hopefully that way she will become more self-aware, slightly self deprecating and actually authentic. God knows, she is going to have to change something if she hopes to be a remotely decent mum.

Reactions: 9
I couldn’t agree more with the idea that we shouldn’t hold IGers to an unrealistic standard - we are all human after all. Having said that though, influencers who have such a platform must acknowledge the added responsibility that comes with that. Regardless of who you are though, flippantly referencing sexual assault and child abuse is utterly indefensible. I agree- I cannot connect with Laura and her content now, she increasingly strikes me as a fundamentally unkind and immoral person and I take far more umbrage with that than I do her eyebrows or accent. Her content is no longer positive or relevant to me. She needs to spend less time focusing on how bloody brilliant she thinks she is and more time taking an interest in the people around her. Hopefully that way she will become more self-aware, slightly self deprecating and actually authentic. God knows, she is going to have to change something if she hopes to be a remotely decent mum.
Yes!! I think the awful flippant comments let her and her followers down and she's too self obsessed and ignorant of what is around her to reflect on it.

Wowza. She's so brazen it's untrue. I'm so so sorry to read of the people here who've been affected by abuse in some way. I am genuinely ASTOUNDED that LJW would write what she did, then double down on it by arguing with people who (quite rightly) pointed out that child abuse and rape are not playthings to toy with. But as others here have pointed out, she's fuelled by all the people saying 'oh wow babes what a story!' like it's some cutesy quirky thing.

Once again she's proven her out of touch privilege.

The changing and stopping her insta stories thing is for sure because of this forum, and waiting to reinvent her new persona. Did anyone notice that after it was called out on here that maybe she was lying about being from Derby, she did a post talking about her 'home town' of York, and sure enough loads of people commented saying they had no idea?! Yes because she lied about it for so long! Plus this calls into question her time line of the 'high school sweetheart' story. She's woven so many lies into her ~nArAtIvE~ even she can't keep up.

I think I said on here I felt sorry for her because she must be lonely. I can now see why she can't keep friends. She's a mean, unkind liar and I feel sorry for any child she brings up in that environment.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.