Late Diagnosis ADHD/ADD (Women) #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tend to do meal replacements and have a couple of proper dinners every week on nights when I have free time to enjoy planning, shopping, cooking etc. It gets me out of that forgetting to eat/being suddenly ravenous/eating too much/blood sugar crash/eat more quick cycle.

Hi all, sorry to derail slightly - it's obviously the time of year to think about it but does anyone have any tips for improving their fitness/losing weight? I lost a load of weight when I was on Elvanse but now I'm unmedicated I always eat crap for the dopamine šŸ˜­ I also don't have anyone who could be a gym buddy to help motivate me, so I feel a bit stuck!! Ant advice much appreciated
The way I look at it is that the prep work is a large part of it, at the end of the day training with 3 square meals of biscuits wonā€™t see results, fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that!

Meal prep -cook once, eat twice mentality, make sure youā€™re multi tasking with meals and making multiple portions each time, write a shopping list and better yet have online deliveries or click and collect so you canā€™t stray

Snack prep - easy to reach for snacks with little to no prep that arenā€™t too healthy, so yoghurts as an example, protein ones come in lots of flavours, cherry bakewell, banoffee etc

Meal replacement shakes in the fridge for days youā€™re not feeling it, Huel is the one I use

Make sure everything you eat, every meal and snack has these three things: protein, fat, fibre. Switches off the dopamine need from food, itā€™s weird.

Gameify it, use a macro counting app like myfitnesspal to track anything youā€™re comfortable with, food, measurements etc and use the novelty to keep yourself motivated, ideal if you can connect with others on there too

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hi I really need some advice! It's stupid really because I know what I need to do but basically my daughter's school called me in to say they wanted to send her for a adhd/asd check. We have had our first phone call and the doctor has accepted her now waiting for the meeting date. When looking into autism / adhd I realised I think this is what I have. I've got major OCD, been on sertraline for anxiety for 8 years and always struggled with day to day life I just feel like I'm drowning constantly and don't stop doing things yet get nothing done. So I was productive and booked myself a doctors appt, my doctors have a system where unless it's an emergency and you need an appt that day they book you in for like 4 weeks time for a telephone appt. Well by the time they called I missed the call even though it was on my calendar so I rang back really embarrassed and booked another appt waited a month and same thing happened it was now the summer holidays and I missed the call. I'm too embarrassed to ring back again and say I've missed it again it's been months. Really can't afford a private appt I know I need to sort this but I'm just so rubbish with appointments.

Reactions: 3
I think you have 3 options with this one, either help from technology (reminders/alarms/calendars), help from a friend/relative to remind you, or take you (if that's what it takes), or help from the practice - explain what the situation is, apologise and see if they do anything for people with memory issues to help them remember and get to appointments?

I think you have 3 options with this one, either help from technology (reminders/alarms/calendars), help from a friend/relative to remind you, or take you (if that's what it takes), or help from the practice - explain what the situation is, apologise and see if they do anything for people with memory issues to help them remember and get to appointments?
Thank you I'm going to be productive and call Monday morning. The annoying thing was I'd practically done a countdown to the appointments and still ended up missing the calls. Thanks so much for your reply really appreciate it x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Would recommend remindersā€¦ I tell Siri to remind me about everything (I literally say ā€˜hey siriā€™ when it pops into my head), itā€™s the only way I get something important done. Even if I snooze the reminder a few times, Iā€™ll eventually get it done but means it doesnā€™t fall off the radar

Thank you I'm going to be productive and call Monday morning. The annoying thing was I'd practically done a countdown to the appointments and still ended up missing the calls. Thanks so much for your reply really appreciate it x
The fact that this meant so much to you and you still managed to miss it screams ADHD to me.

Try not to beat yourself up about it, we donā€™t mean to do it.

The fact that this meant so much to you and you still managed to miss it screams ADHD to me.

Try not to beat yourself up about it, we donā€™t mean to do it.
Thank you! So annoying I felt like a weight had been lifted when I booked the appointment and felt so down after, I thought this is it finally going to sort my life out, but third time lucky it is instead! X

• Heart
Hi all,

Iā€™m diagnosed and medicated for ADHD šŸ™ƒ

really suffering with RSD atm (rejection sensitivity). Was left out of a non-work event with people at work where loads went and only a few of us were not invited. I feel like Iā€™ve been punched and like a proper loser. I donā€™t know what to do šŸ„²

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi all,

really suffering with RSD atm (rejection sensitivity). Was left out of a non-work event with people at work where loads went and only a few of us were not invited. I feel like Iā€™ve been punched and like a proper loser. I donā€™t know what to do šŸ„²
Itā€™s hard isnā€™t it, I had a similar thing in the workplace a few years ago. It turned out they werenā€™t people Iā€™d have really wanted to hang out with anyway, but it still stung.

Youā€™re absolutely not a loser though, its not a reflection on you, itā€™s just a crap situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi I really need some advice! It's stupid really because I know what I need to do but basically my daughter's school called me in to say they wanted to send her for a adhd/asd check. We have had our first phone call and the doctor has accepted her now waiting for the meeting date. When looking into autism / adhd I realised I think this is what I have. I've got major OCD, been on sertraline for anxiety for 8 years and always struggled with day to day life I just feel like I'm drowning constantly and don't stop doing things yet get nothing done. So I was productive and booked myself a doctors appt, my doctors have a system where unless it's an emergency and you need an appt that day they book you in for like 4 weeks time for a telephone appt. Well by the time they called I missed the call even though it was on my calendar so I rang back really embarrassed and booked another appt waited a month and same thing happened it was now the summer holidays and I missed the call. I'm too embarrassed to ring back again and say I've missed it again it's been months. Really can't afford a private appt I know I need to sort this but I'm just so rubbish with appointments.
The receptionists speak to hundreds of people per day, they wonā€™t remember you had other appointments, and it may not be the same doctor each time calling. If itā€™s brought up itā€™s great evidence for why youā€™re struggling and need an assessment. If you canā€™t face the cringe factor check if they have ePatient facility on their website, you can request appointments or admin online with an eConsult
---
Hi all,

Oof thatā€™s rough, Iā€™m so sorry, had similar at the weekend where my neighbours all arranged a night out and mine was the only house not invited šŸ« 

My choice would be to take the high road, donā€™t make a scene but donā€™t ignore it either, if theyā€™re talking about it in front of you that means it wasnā€™t personal and they donā€™t see anything wrong, they just have a social circle you werenā€™t aware of, if they painstakingly avoid mentioning it then they knowingly excluded, in which case theyā€™re massive bellends and do you really want to be one of them?

Last edited:
  • Heart
My therapist said she thinks I should talk to a psychiatrist via my GP about ADHD (I had not and had never brought ADHD up with her but it wasnā€™t out of the blue - I was talking about executive dysfunction basically, which I have struggled with my entire life. Itā€™s evident in school reports and such)

Anyway, it would be really nice to hear peopleā€™s experiences of treatments and especially medication? I worry it will inhibit my ability to get in the ā€œzoneā€ where I hyperfocus, which is a part of myself I really like. Iā€™ve also heard people say it can cause hair loss and I have a full on phobia of hair loss :-/ Thank you

Does anyone have any advice on friendships. I'm really sociable and good at greetings but it doesn't go much further I really struggle to have friendships on a deeper level? I had a friend recently who was really negative and everytime I saw her she just wanted to gossip about people it was so draining I couldn't see her anymore. I have someone I've become friends with but I am so fond of her I'm worried I'm going to mess up the friendship? She's going to realise I'm quite strange. Sorry this all sounds ridiculous i know.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does anyone have any advice on friendships. I'm really sociable and good at greetings but it doesn't go much further I really struggle to have friendships on a deeper level? I had a friend recently who was really negative and everytime I saw her she just wanted to gossip about people it was so draining I couldn't see her anymore. I have someone I've become friends with but I am so fond of her I'm worried I'm going to mess up the friendship? She's going to realise I'm quite strange. Sorry this all sounds ridiculous i know.
Are you me? I feel EXACTLY the same! I get so anxious that Iā€™m going to mess up and be too weird šŸ˜©

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Are you me? I feel EXACTLY the same! I get so anxious that Iā€™m going to mess up and be too weird šŸ˜©
Same and I feel like I'm constantly texting afterwards to clear up things I've said. Like I even find myself annoying I don't know how anyone puts up with me! Eg last week saying goodbye at the school dropping kids off she said "bye have a great day" I reply "Hi" or she says "enjoy swimming" I reply "you too" when she's not going I am just weird stuff. I've tried meditating so I slow down and actually think about what people are saying and how to answer but it just doesn't help.

• Heart
Same and I feel like I'm constantly texting afterwards to clear up things I've said. Like I even find myself annoying I don't know how anyone puts up with me! Eg last week saying goodbye at the school dropping kids off she said "bye have a great day" I reply "Hi" or she says "enjoy swimming" I reply "you too" when she's not going I am just weird stuff. I've tried meditating so I slow down and actually think about what people are saying and how to answer but it just doesn't help.
Have you ever had a friend who also is, or suspected to be adhd? The few Iā€™ve met are an instant click and I never feel like Iā€™m on eggshells in the same way

• Heart
Have you ever had a friend who also is, or suspected to be adhd? The few Iā€™ve met are an instant click and I never feel like Iā€™m on eggshells in the same way
I don't think so I find it so difficult even with my own family. I've learnt when not to talk, feel like I've been biting my tongue my whole life to be honest until I met my husband. He is the only person who completely gets me. Also I like to keep people at arms length it just works so much better until I feel lonely or realise I'm lacking certain friendships.

• Heart
Some of the people who've been nicest to me have been people I really don't know that well. It always seems like there's a tipping point of about 18 months with people where I feel like everything is going great and then out of nowhere I never hear from them again. Most of my friends who I just vibe with are probably on the spectrum, though. I don't really like it, feeling like there's no-one I could just phone and they'd be happy to hear from me, but I'm getting closer to accepting it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I've found this too. I've got a neighbour who is so much on my level with the ADHD although I've not asked him if he has a diagnosis, and we get on so well. His (adult) kid says its impossible to follow our conversations though.

Reactions: 4
I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed with ADHD - I've had an appointment where a clinician has said that all the evidence they've gathered strongly suggests that I have ADHD (combined type) and the psychiatrist will do the formal diagnosis in my appointment with him next week.

I was just reading your experiences with friends and I just wanted to say I relate so hard - I'm going through it with a work friend at the moment who was all over me when I first came, really friendly, would check on me all the time, invite me over to her house etc, and she seems to have just completely lost interest in me lately where she now brushes me off and seems very cold and distant. I've been taking it so badly and have been leaving work crying etc, but this is sort of a pattern where I feel like people just get sick of me after a while, a few months to a year, year and a half or so and I've never understood why. I think it's because I'm always 'too much' emotionally, or too intense, or whatever.

• Heart