Kylie Flavell #4 Purloining the Patreon Purse

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One of my favourite places is Zucca. The food is yummy and really nice ambience. Lots of my art historian friends and academics from Warwick eat here.
Me too! I don't eat meat or fish and this place is great for vegetarian options. Even in quieter late October we made sure we had a booking and saw lots of people being turned away. It was recommended to me by my art curator friend so yes I concur it's on the aesthetes' list!

Also I love Cantine del Vino già Schiavi. Not only for the wine and cicchetti but also delicious paninis made to order around lunchtime. I was at both of these establishments in October 2019, funny if we were wining and dining at adjacent tables!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Me too! I don't eat meat or fish and this place is great for vegetarian options. Even in quieter late October we made sure we had a booking and saw lots of people being turned away. It was recommended to me by my art curator friend so yes I concur it's on the aesthetes' list!

Also I love Cantine del Vino già Schiavi. Not only for the wine and cicchetti but also delicious paninis made to order around lunchtime. I was at both of these establishments in October 2019, funny if we were wining and dining at adjacent tables!
Oh WOW Rina!!!!! What a small world. 🥰🌟

I'm not a vegetarian but the Bridge of Sighs is! I don't eat too much meat as I am an animal-lover. I think I could become veggie but vegan would be a step too far for me. Mind you, there's a gorgeous Vegan cafe in the area where I live in Qatar with a super cool vibe. https://www.evergreenorganics.qa/

October 2019, funny if we were wining and dining at adjacent tables!
If we were, I was the one being firmly admonished by the waiter for not paying attention to his wine recommendations 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I completely agree that Venezia can be quite homely and friendly. I haven't returned since October 2019 because of the world situation and it is a great sadness to me. I've tentatively booked leave for a couple of weeks in October to stay in Venice but the restrictions currently in place would have to alter to make it worth my while so I am keeping everything crossed in the hope that I can travel to Venice then. I have met some delightful people and made some interesting discoveries, including Gigi Bon's amazing Wunderkammer which is off the Camp S. Samuele, near the apartment with the garden where I stayed. https://www.gigibonvenezia.com/sito/en/about-me.html.

Re. Rome and NYC - I think Rome could grow on me, I revisited La Grande Bellezza a while ago as I love the filming, I like the characters a lot less but I don't think I'm supposed to am I. With regards to NY the opening of Woody Allen's Manhattan is captivating and one of my favourite openings of all time. I do like the Chrysler Building which is very pretty at night.

With regard to my bonnes addresses for restaurant, bars &c. I am trying to attach a document so that I don't bore people with my meanderings but I'm such a Luddite with technology that I cannot. So ... here are some of my favourite places ...

http://www.lazucca.it/en

One of my favourite places is Zucca. The food is yummy and really nice ambience. Lots of my art historian friends and academics from Warwick eat here.

(Kylie would probably avoid it for fear of lots of alcohol-fuelled English people misbehaving, dancing on the tables and puking in the canal). One always has to book here, sometimes quite a way in advance as it is so popular. The staff has become a bit arrogant and even rude because of the success of the restaurant.

For example, the last time I was there (October 2019), I was dining with “A Bridge of Sighs” Insta. Handle of the rhinoceros lady. I asked for a wine recommendation but was distracted by a question that the Bridge of Sighs had asked me. When I asked the waiter to repeat himself, he told me off for not listening to him. I was gobsmacked. So was The Bridge of Sighs. The food is good enough to put up with this rudeness within reason, though.

https://www.ristorantedafiore.com/

Da Fiore is another favourite. A little more refined and upscale than Zucca. Great on fish and seafood. I go there when I’m checking out various possibilities with fish!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ntine_del_Vino_Gia_Schiavi-Venice_Veneto.html

I love this place for Cicchetti and an excellent range of Italian wines to purchase per prendere e andare via. Some wines sold by the glass over the counter can be a bit rough, but the staff can be persuaded to open a bottle of Amarone and sell by the glass. ;) Nevertheless, it’s lovely and full of atmosphere and people.

http://www.trattoriamaddalena.com/it/
This is in Burano, but I had a delightful lunch here for a friend’s birthday and would highly recommend it.

I also enjoy some of the usual suspects… Cips on the Guidecca is always a pleasure, both for the View of the Piazzetta across the Grand Canal and the best Bellini I’ve ever tasted. I also love the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello.. To see the mosaics at the Basilica followed by lunch is just wonderful... I like Florian’s too… I might attend an early mass at S. Marco and then have breakfast at Florian’s before it becomes too busy and can enjoy the Piazza S. Marco and the decadent interior in comparative peace. I imagine the Tiepolos stopping off there for a coffee or an aperitif after a hard day making wonderful frescoes.

For Museum Cafes, I like the café at the Guggenheim. Qatar was lending a Fortuny painting to the Fortuny Museum in Venice for an exhibition in 2019 (QM’s painting travelled down the Grand Canal in a boat … how cool is that?). I directed my colleague around Venice on WhatsApp to my favourite places, and she enjoyed lunch in the Guggenheim garden.

I am fond of Ristorante Acqua Pazza – arguably a bit overpriced, but delicious pizza, and I often drop in for a lemon risotto and Sicilian white for lunch.
https://www.veniceacquapazza.com/it..._medium=organic&utm_campaign=GoogleMyBusiness

Last but not least … Vizio Virtu is my favourite chocolate shop in Venice, and I thoroughly recommend the Sigmund Freud! ;)
I actually used to dislike Rome until I went with people who knew it well. I always felt so stressed. Now I always can't wait to go back.

Pliny, in Venice I strongly suggest Zanze XVI. It's been under a new dynamic gestione the past few years and is a feast for the eyes and stomach. The menù al buio is fun, leaving it to the chef to decide. The service is really wonderful as well and are very attentive to ask about food allergies and personal preferences. 😊

I completely agree that Venezia can be quite homely and friendly. I haven't returned since October 2019 because of the world situation and it is a great sadness to me. I've tentatively booked leave for a couple of weeks in October to stay in Venice but the restrictions currently in place would have to alter to make it worth my while so I am keeping everything crossed in the hope that I can travel to Venice then. I have met some delightful people and made some interesting discoveries, including Gigi Bon's amazing Wunderkammer which is off the Camp S. Samuele, near the apartment with the garden where I stayed. https://www.gigibonvenezia.com/sito/en/about-me.html.

Re. Rome and NYC - I think Rome could grow on me, I revisited La Grande Bellezza a while ago as I love the filming, I like the characters a lot less but I don't think I'm supposed to am I. With regards to NY the opening of Woody Allen's Manhattan is captivating and one of my favourite openings of all time. I do like the Chrysler Building which is very pretty at night.

With regard to my bonnes addresses for restaurant, bars &c. I am trying to attach a document so that I don't bore people with my meanderings but I'm such a Luddite with technology that I cannot. So ... here are some of my favourite places ...

http://www.lazucca.it/en

(Kylie would probably avoid it for fear of lots of alcohol-fuelled English people misbehaving, dancing on the tables and puking in the canal). One always has to book here, sometimes quite a way in advance as it is so popular. The staff has become a bit arrogant and even rude because of the success of the restaurant.

For example, the last time I was there (October 2019), I was dining with “A Bridge of Sighs” Insta. Handle of the rhinoceros lady. I asked for a wine recommendation but was distracted by a question that the Bridge of Sighs had asked me. When I asked the waiter to repeat himself, he told me off for not listening to him. I was gobsmacked. So was The Bridge of Sighs. The food is good enough to put up with this rudeness within reason, though.

https://www.ristorantedafiore.com/

Da Fiore is another favourite. A little more refined and upscale than Zucca. Great on fish and seafood. I go there when I’m checking out various possibilities with fish!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ntine_del_Vino_Gia_Schiavi-Venice_Veneto.html

I love this place for Cicchetti and an excellent range of Italian wines to purchase per prendere e andare via. Some wines sold by the glass over the counter can be a bit rough, but the staff can be persuaded to open a bottle of Amarone and sell by the glass. ;) Nevertheless, it’s lovely and full of atmosphere and people.

http://www.trattoriamaddalena.com/it/
This is in Burano, but I had a delightful lunch here for a friend’s birthday and would highly recommend it.

I also enjoy some of the usual suspects… Cips on the Guidecca is always a pleasure, both for the View of the Piazzetta across the Grand Canal and the best Bellini I’ve ever tasted. I also love the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello.. To see the mosaics at the Basilica followed by lunch is just wonderful... I like Florian’s too… I might attend an early mass at S. Marco and then have breakfast at Florian’s before it becomes too busy and can enjoy the Piazza S. Marco and the decadent interior in comparative peace. I imagine the Tiepolos stopping off there for a coffee or an aperitif after a hard day making wonderful frescoes.

For Museum Cafes, I like the café at the Guggenheim. Qatar was lending a Fortuny painting to the Fortuny Museum in Venice for an exhibition in 2019 (QM’s painting travelled down the Grand Canal in a boat … how cool is that?). I directed my colleague around Venice on WhatsApp to my favourite places, and she enjoyed lunch in the Guggenheim garden.

I am fond of Ristorante Acqua Pazza – arguably a bit overpriced, but delicious pizza, and I often drop in for a lemon risotto and Sicilian white for lunch.
https://www.veniceacquapazza.com/it..._medium=organic&utm_campaign=GoogleMyBusiness

Last but not least … Vizio Virtu is my favourite chocolate shop in Venice, and I thoroughly recommend the Sigmund Freud! ;)
Thank-you @PlinyinTorquay, great to hear some of your favourite places and to hear your memories and experiences of Rome and New York. La Grande Bellezza is very true to a certain type of life in Rome and I have certainly been to parties like those in the film, even straight after the premiere🤦🏼‍♂️Paolo Sorrentino the director is brilliant and Toni Servillo embodied the central character. There is a lot to discuss about the film but I will leave that for another time. Friends who work in Rome with Nicola Zingaretti, President of the Lazio region, helped fund the film so it was interesting hearing its gestation.

@nostoneunturned terrific pictures and interesting to hear how Rome and Sicily affected you.Yes the scale of Rome can be surprising to visitors, even those enormous doors into palazzi. I am glad you and @PlinyinTorquay (?) are so enthralled by the Pantheon, one never tires of it, even living in the city and seeing it everyday.

What is the story of Laura Piranesi? I have Giambattista’s etching of the Pantheon in my studio with the little twin bell towers that were added after it became a church and then were taken down in 1883. As a Venetian Piranesi also knew Giambattista Tiepolo...what an epoch to live!

7A1586B2-B8D2-4AC4-8353-0C2155B67FAE.jpeg

Reactions: 5
I’m getting notifications about the next thread ….I would say the themes have been about Kflavellogram and her current identity crisis , boredom on and the question of content, who is up for naming the next thread ? Or quelle horreur ! 👀👀has KyLIE strangled us with her own threads?
Throwing out some new thread suggestions for consideration:
Kylie Flavell: The lies, the bad, the boring
Kylie Flavell: A Fistful of Patreon Dollars
Kylie Flavell: La Dull Vita

• Haha
Throwing out some new thread suggestions for consideration:
Kylie Flavell: The lies, the bad, the boring
Kylie Flavell: A Fistful of Patreon Dollars
Kylie Flavell: La Dull Vita
I vote for number 2 , all are great , but I think having patroon in the title is important. What does everyone else think?

Reactions: 5
Thank-you @PlinyinTorquay, great to hear some of your favourite places and to hear your memories and experiences of Rome and New York. La Grande Bellezza is very true to a certain type of life in Rome and I have certainly been to parties like those in the film, even straight after the premiere🤦🏼‍♂️Paolo Sorrentino the director is brilliant and Toni Servillo embodied the central character. There is a lot to discuss about the film but I will leave that for another time. Friends who work in Rome with Nicola Zingaretti, President of the Lazio region, helped fund the film so it was interesting hearing its gestation.

@nostoneunturned terrific pictures and interesting to hear how Rome and Sicily affected you.Yes the scale of Rome can be surprising to visitors, even those enormous doors into palazzi. I am glad you and @PlinyinTorquay (?) are so enthralled by the Pantheon, one never tires of it, even living in the city and seeing it everyday.

What is the story of Laura Piranesi? I have Giambattista’s etching of the Pantheon in my studio with the little twin bell towers that were added after it became a church and then were taken down in 1883. As a Venetian Piranesi also knew Giambattista Tiepolo...what an epoch to live!

View attachment 713744
@Antonio, how wonderful that you have that etching, I adore it. Laura was the eldest child of GB Piranesi and worked in the family workshop. The Wikipedia entry on her isn’t too bad, as these things go so I will copy it here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Piranesi

Family dynamics within artists workshops and extended families can be a fascinating area to research. I found an unopened document in the Venetian archives which was a legal proceeding against the elder Tiepolo by his brothers and sisters, after he had become very wealthy. It sheds interesting light on the family when he was a young boy. According to eyewitnesses as a youngster he used to run around drawing pictures of saints on the walls. A young graffiti artist. A short prefatory note and the archival transcript was published in Arte Veneta. I’ve been invited to talk about it at a symposium in Wurzburg next year.

Loving your Piranesi etching though thank you for sharing. I find his carceri fascinating too.

I vote for number 2 , all are great , but I think having patroon in the title is important. What does everyone else think?
They are all good @emm @diandra256 We need @Alessandro to add his dash of alliteration to them too🤔

‘La Dullest Vita’ sounds even more like ‘dolce’ and for the rest we need to say what she is doing with the ‘Fistful of Patreon Dollars’. Although we already have ‘Purloining the Patreon Purse“ on this thread which makes it very similar...

Kylie Flavell: Fribbling away a Fistful of Patreon Dollars with Flavell Fatigue

Or we sit stick to our current complaint of utter boredom with the vlogs:

Kylie Flavell: Boring, Banal and Bromidic

“Bromidic” meaning tiresome but with pretensions of significance or originality...

Reactions: 6
it's on the aesthetes' list!
Thinking about what you say Rina you are probably right. My husband and I ate there one news years Eve and our table was double booked. We found ourselves sharing a table with VS Naipaul’s niece and her boyfriend. We were all a little frosty to start with, but nothing could be done about it, and actually ended up chatting and having a really interesting and enjoyable evening. 😊

The first time in Rome, I had been travelling for some time and needed a rest and stopped for a month; I stayed in an apartment next to the Pantheon, overlooked it from my window.

I never found Rome to be overwhelming in the sense of size, it felt very comfortable for me. The history is obviously evident, but also spent time at the movie theatre, post office, parks, etc.

Rome takes time is an understatement.

I typically start and finish my trips in Rome, so it remains familiar and always a joy.

1629038584459.jpeg

Salumeria by the Pantheon;

1629038610165.jpeg

Last edited:
Or we sit stick to our current complaint of utter boredom with the vlogs:
I have to confess I am really bored with the vlogs . I’m not convinced she’s doing it to starve us of conversation. Now I feel embarrassed that I ever supported her work. I really only stick around because this group is interesting intellectually. I agree we need @Alessandro for his alliteration. May I ask, Antonio, are you and Alessandro acquainted? Completely understand if you don’t wish to say.

• Heart
I have to confess I am really bored with the vlogs . I’m not convinced she’s doing it to starve us of conversation. Now I feel embarrassed that I ever supported her work. I really only stick around because this group is interesting intellectually. I agree we need @Alessandro for his alliteration. May I ask, Antonio, are you and Alessandro acquainted? Completely understand if you don’t wish to say.
off topic question, but as she probably is reading here, what content would we want her to post? As I can't travel, I would like travel content, I don't want to see that house/kayak, even just filming food in italian restaurants so I can live vicariously. anyone else?
I would like to see beautiful italian buildings etc but ,really, what could she add to it, if she films anything it just ends up as her in focus adding boring commentary. Her parents must be travelling around surely, why has she not made the most of this?

off topic question, but as she probably is reading here, what content would we want her to post? As I can't travel, I would like travel content, I don't want to see that house/kayak, even just filming food in italian restaurants so I can live vicariously. anyone else?
I would like to see beautiful italian buildings etc but ,really, what could she add to it, if she films anything it just ends up as her in focus adding boring commentary. Her parents must be travelling around surely, why has she not made the most of this?
Certainly travel for me. I also like buildings and culture but based on her recent offering, she is out of her depth in this area. She needs to be more honest with herself about this and better research her material.

• Wow
I second everything here. Stop focusing on herself and put the focus on the actual subject. Travel, culture and food interest me most. Each region is so different from each other at points they seem seperate countries. It would be interesting if she presented this, also for her loyal fans who might think every Italian eats pizza and spaghetti daily.

Dead horse🐴 I keep beating, but it seems to me the 12 ep Tuscany series was never finished. Seemed to barely begin, aside from those few IG posts in Pitigliano. I have no idea why she promised a "summer series" if she hadn't filmed most of it. The last few filler eps were so boring despite her sycophants gushing otherwise.

Reactions: 7
I second everything here. Stop focusing on herself and put the focus on the actual subject. Travel, culture and food interest me most. Each region is so different from each other at points they seem seperate countries. It would be interesting if she presented this, also for her loyal fans who might think every Italian eats pizza and spaghetti daily.

Dead horse🐴 I keep beating, but it seems to me the 12 ep Tuscany series was never finished. Seemed to barely begin, aside from those few IG posts in Pitigliano. I have no idea why she promised a "summer series" if she hadn't filmed most of it. The last few filler eps were so boring despite her sycophants gushing otherwise.
Agree, I would love to see the Tuscany series, I assume that is long gone (i.e. was never made)

There is a lot to discuss about the film but I will leave that for another time.
@Antonio I would love to discuss this at some time. The film was first recommended to me by a colleague, an archaeologist who was head of HoA department at Princeton. I find the cinematography of Rome stunning, but the characters repugnant. My first trip to Rome was with the friends of the Barber Institute, a teaching museum on Birmingham University’s Campus. I recall one evening when a colleague took me to a curious restaurant Trattoria der Pallaro, and we walked around the city till the early hours of the morning, as we got locked out of our hotel near Roma Termini. My second was just six weeks after I had been widowed so I wasn’t in the best frame of mind. My friend Emanuella, who worked for the Italian Embassy in Qatar had been moved to Rome and she invited me to stay with her. She lived in the suburbs. I don’t recall too much from that time other than I purchased a lovely pair of shoes from Giuseppe Zanotti near the Spanish Steps. 😊 Most memorable was a visit to the Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa. Have you read Marguerite Yourcenar’s Memoirs of Hadrian? 💕

Last edited:
  • Heart
I don't want to see any content from Kylie. To be honest. She should recede into a life of being a member of the family she married in to. Life has its phases. Sometimes, you need to move on.

Once upon a time, I enjoyed her travel videos. Until I noticed everything that everyone else mentions here, and I cannot "un-see" any of it now.

For me, she is now unwatchable.

Reactions: 11
I don't want to see any content from Kylie. To be honest. She should recede into a life of being a member of the family she married in to. Life has its phases. Sometimes, you need to move on.

Once upon a time, I enjoyed her travel videos. Until I noticed everything that everyone else mentions here, and I cannot "un-see" any of it now.

For me, she is now unwatchable.
I agree, she doesn’t have the capacity to create any interest or focus on other than herself and that’s beyond boring.

KyLIE Flavell # 5, Flailing fatuously and failing to fulfill fulsome fans or favour Forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3